Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 08:36:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 177 178 [179] 180 181 182 183 184 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 251108 times)
compucomp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4450 on: November 19, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »

Red wave incoming! His like will avoid the blame, though.

So you're happy to reap the benefits when multiple NJ/NY/CA/IL House Republicans go down in 2018, in no small part due to the Trump tax law's vindictive and unjust SALT cap, and happy to rake in the funds from affected people shoveling money at Democrats out of hate for Trump, but now you're ready to throw these guys under the bus? Do you even want to try to keep the House majority in 2022?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #4451 on: November 19, 2021, 12:21:05 PM »

I can assure you that there are exactly zero people that will vote Republican in 2022 because Democrats raised the SALT cap.

I don't like the policy, but I also think it is silly for people to focus on it exclusively. This is a massive bill with lots of stuff we've been waiting years for.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4452 on: November 19, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2021, 12:28:38 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

So you're happy to reap the benefits when multiple NJ/NY/CA/IL House Republicans go down in 2018, in no small part due to the Trump tax law's vindictive and unjust SALT cap, and happy to rake in the funds from affected people shoveling money at Democrats out of hate for Trump, but now you're ready to throw these guys under the bus?

Yes.

The 1% are a small proportion of voters in the vast majority of districts. Their donations were of limited value (as proved in 2020) as the Democrats were already going to have a reasonable fundraising edge over Republicans, and the ActBlue overkill produced rapidly diminishing returns.

Besides, if these elites want to signal how much more socially progressive they are than the "Evil" WWC (and they absolutely do!), it's perfectly reasonable to expect them to put their money with their mouths are.

Do you even want to try to keep the House majority in 2022?

Yeah (and I think not raising the cap would have helped with this), but there's only so much the administration can do at this point to ensure that happens. It's more important to look beyond 2022 when it comes to legislation - I'd prefer to prioritise good, popular governance (which would, incidentally, do more to ensure the long-term health of the Democratic Party).
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4453 on: November 19, 2021, 12:27:59 PM »

Fun fact: Former President Biden couldn’t get the House to vote under his rule.
It took President Kamala one day.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4454 on: November 19, 2021, 12:29:45 PM »

Every single AOC Tweet gets scrutinized to hell and back by the Optics Police and used as proof that the left is a liability for the party, but somehow toxic dipsh*ts like Gottheimer never get the same treatment.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4455 on: November 19, 2021, 12:33:51 PM »

What a revolting person.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4456 on: November 19, 2021, 12:34:45 PM »

So you're happy to reap the benefits when multiple NJ/NY/CA/IL House Republicans go down in 2018, in no small part due to the Trump tax law's vindictive and unjust SALT cap, and happy to rake in the funds from affected people shoveling money at Democrats out of hate for Trump, but now you're ready to throw these guys under the bus? Do you even want to try to keep the House majority in 2022?
There's nothing unjust about not subsidizing the state taxes of the upper middle class.

Also you again seem to have trouble with the idea of people putting their values and principles above political favoritism.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #4457 on: November 19, 2021, 12:37:24 PM »

You guys DO realize that this bill is still a major tax increase on the wealthy, right. The SALT provision only gives a little bit of that tax increase back. It sucks, yes, but let's not get carried away here.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4458 on: November 19, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »

This has not passed the senate, I don't know why everyone is celebrating. Not a sure thing.

Cope.

*Manchin votes "no"

Cope

Huh? The Senate hasn't voted yet, silly.

Thank you, Nancy, for delivering for the American middle class, despite the brief obstruction of House business last night by a deranged lunatic who had stumbled into the chamber from a nearby watering hole.

How does raising the SALT cap to 82,500 help people in poverty? Not to mention this bill doesn’t actually pay for itself, meaning the government pays more than it gets into revenue, leading to higher inflation. Also, because some of the provisions sunset after 2-5 years, that means the inflationary pressures are even stronger short-term.

Y’all, this bill is not good as it stands. Reduce the SALT cap to 10,000 or 20,000 at most and then make the bill actually paid for, and then I support it. I didn’t vote for Joe Biden and the dems to give tax cuts to upper middle class and rich people living in high tax states. I mean, this personally benefits me a lot because my parents pay taxes in New Jersey, but it’s sh** policy and weird seeing “progressives” gloat over a tax cut for the rich.

I agree that the SALT provision in the bill currently is horrible policy and horrible optics. Hopefully the Senate substitutes it with their own SALT compromise that's much more palatable and costs much less. Better yet, strip SALT out entirely (not going to happen, but one can hope!)

In regards to the deficit impact of the bill, you have to consider that the Senate will very likely strip out the paid family leave provisions since Manchin opposes them and the immigration provisions will be ruled non-germane under reconciliation after the 'Byrd Bath' is completed. Those two actions alone will reduce gross estimated outlays to the tune of $300 billion or so. That doesn't even consider the fact that CBO didn't include the score for the tax enforcement provisions, which should further increase revenue and make the bill budget positive.

Here is the breakout:

Current CBO Estimated Effect on Deficit: $367 Billion (Cost)

Paid Family & Medical Leave: +$205 Billion (Cost)

Immigration Provisions: +$111 Billion (Cost)

Tax Enforcement Provisions: -$127 Billion (Savings)

So add in the savings from the tax enforcement provisions and subtract outlays for the immigration provisions and paid family and medical leave and the effect on the deficit over ten years is $76 billion in savings. Of course, there's good reason to argue that CBO's estimated savings from the tax enforcement provisions included in the bill are overly-conservative (WH estimates around $400 billion in savings over ten years, FYSA).

I think that people are also missing that it’s 367 Billion over 10 years, eg 36.7B a year.
Eg 5ish% of the annual pentagon outlay.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4459 on: November 19, 2021, 01:38:36 PM »

I don’t see the House SALT bit surviving Tester/Bennett/Sanders in the Senate guys.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4460 on: November 19, 2021, 01:45:03 PM »

I don’t see the House SALT bit surviving Tester/Bennett/Sanders in the Senate guys.

I believe, Sanders was talking about limiting it to those incomes up to $400k.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #4461 on: November 19, 2021, 01:57:10 PM »

I got wasted last night and passed out when McCarthy started speaking and woke up this morning and this dude was still speaking wtf
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4462 on: November 19, 2021, 02:39:55 PM »

The reason people are celebrating (or at least why it's worth celebrating) is because the House had to pass this before the Senate can take it up in Reconciliation. And for a long time it wasn't a sure thing that this step would even happen.
Splash
United States

« Reply #4463 on: November 19, 2021, 03:49:55 PM »

The reason people are celebrating (or at least why it's worth celebrating) is because the House had to pass this before the Senate can take it up in Reconciliation. And for a long time it wasn't a sure thing that this step would even happen.

Yeah, it moved the ball down the field - and that's worth celebrating for a moment.

When the ACA was making its way through Congress, there were plenty of setbacks, seemingly endless negotiations that went nowhere, and times when the legislation seemed all but dead. I remember Max Baucus stalling the entire effort for months during the summer of 2009 to try an notch bipartisan support for the effort. In the end, Olympia Snowe voted the bill out of the Finance Committee and then proceeded to vote against final passage anyway (lol).

And instead of Manchin and Sinema, we had Lieberman killing the public option, (Ben) Nelson and the "corn husker kickback," Mary Landrieu and the "Louisiana Purchase," Bart Stupak and the 'not muh taxpayer funded abortion caucus' in the House, etc.

While it hasn't been pretty, BBB has progressed along a relatively smoother path when compared to the ACA (so far). And that's with much smaller majorities in Congress to boot, of course.

If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4464 on: November 19, 2021, 03:58:19 PM »

Given the chance, I would gladly castrate this man.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #4465 on: November 19, 2021, 03:59:12 PM »

BBB is gonna get stalled in Senate, RS are Filibustering the Debt Ceiling based on the Spending bills and DS don't have Sinema and Manchin on board to get rid of Filibuster

That's why I didn't watch the vote
roxas11
United States

« Reply #4466 on: November 19, 2021, 04:20:58 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2021, 04:45:41 PM by roxas11 »

We all remember what happened when Trump had a huge celebration after the Republicans passed an Obamacare repeal in the house

Poor Trump was acting like he was at a bill signing ceremony lol

Thankfully Biden and the Dems are not that naive about the tough road thats ahead of them. They know they have a lot more work to do before this bill will ever reach the president's desk
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4467 on: November 19, 2021, 04:28:52 PM »

In a sane alignment, Gottheimer would be perceived the way we perceive Sam Brownback, or Norman Tebbit.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4468 on: November 19, 2021, 04:29:09 PM »

Sad to see Jared Golden voting against Pre-K for his wife's son.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4469 on: November 19, 2021, 04:46:12 PM »

In a sane alignment, Gottheimer would be perceived the way we perceive Sam Brownback, or Norman Tebbit.

When Brownback was running for re-election in 2014 with his abysmal approval ratings, it was the suburbs in Johnson and Sedgwick Counties that helped him limp across the line. Makes you think, huh?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4470 on: November 19, 2021, 06:26:26 PM »

When Brownback was running for re-election in 2014 with his abysmal approval ratings, it was the suburbs in Johnson and Sedgwick Counties that helped him limp across the line. Makes you think, huh?

KKKobach is a creature of East Kansas suburbia himself, of course, although to their credit his neighbors eventually wised up to what a repellent specimen he was.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4471 on: November 19, 2021, 06:36:18 PM »

Rs say they are not participating in raising the Debt Ceiling due to BBB

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/us-treasury-could-run-cash-000246372.html

Manchin abd Sinema are gonna have the final say so on BBB
Enjoy your short term victory D's Rs aren't gonna raise the Debt Ceiling
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4472 on: November 19, 2021, 06:47:56 PM »

Manchin and Sinema are not going to let the country go into default.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4473 on: November 19, 2021, 06:56:56 PM »

.there is a Filibuster on the Debt Ceiling they won't remove the Filibuster, how are they gonna raise the Debt Ceiling, the reason why they got out of it on Oct, Mcconnell released 10 members to vote on a 3 mnth extension, the D's didn't get rid of the Filibuster on the Debt Ceiling

The vote for Debt Ceiling increase wasn't 50/50 and Filibuster eliminated it was 61 to 39 the Rs ended the Filibuster
roxas11
United States

« Reply #4474 on: November 19, 2021, 07:05:39 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2021, 10:55:05 PM by roxas11 »

I have told him this a 1000 times, yet he still seems to honestly believe that Manchin and Sinema are going to just sit back and let the country go into default.

Not even Mitch McConnell himself believes that and that was the main reason why he passed the first debt ceiling increase because he thought Manchin and Sinema would break the filibuster in order to avoid a global Depression

McConnell even spoke with Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema before he offered to help the Democrats pass the first debt ceiling increases back in October. He clearly was not convinced that they would be willing to just let the world fall into a global economic apocalypse
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 177 178 [179] 180 181 182 183 184 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies