Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:45:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246432 times)
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: August 08, 2021, 10:06:16 PM »

Who is Ted Cruz even trying to pander to anymore? I liked him better when he just pandered to the Jesus freaks.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #826 on: August 08, 2021, 10:57:50 PM »

Sounds like the bill will do a real number on Bitcoin, great news!

Biden Builds Back Better By Bashing Bitcoin! Freedom mulling amendment process.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #827 on: August 09, 2021, 12:32:48 AM »

Yeah that's fair.

We'll see what happens. Obama got 2 heavy lifts through during the trifecta, and if Biden gets this it will be 2 heavy lifts as well. We'll see if he can do more.

I still think his agenda is essentially over after this and the probable passing of the reconciliation bill.
Why are people forgetting the FY 2023 bill? We could pass it before the midterms and have the public option in it. A public option could solve the biggest problems we have with healthcare

I'm not forgetting it, I just don't see a public option happening. But ok if he gets that, and this, that's 3 big lifts. But I bet most of next year will be spent trying to fund the government and deal with the debt ceiling.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #828 on: August 09, 2021, 03:09:44 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2021, 03:14:41 AM by roxas11 »

Yeah that's fair.

We'll see what happens. Obama got 2 heavy lifts through during the trifecta, and if Biden gets this it will be 2 heavy lifts as well. We'll see if he can do more.

I still think his agenda is essentially over after this and the probable passing of the reconciliation bill.

If Joe Biden gets the of the reconciliation bill I agree that it will be over, but that is mainly because he actually succeeded in doing, what he set out to do and not because his agenda was cut short like Obama or Trump. He basically would be 1 of the few presidents who largely succeeded in getting most of their agenda through Congress

1. A Covid relief bill that introduced major new polices like the child tax credit

2. A bipartisan bill that is the largest investment in infrastructure since Dwight D. Eisenhower began the interstate highway system.

3. A reconciliation bill that deals with everything from childcare to climate change

Biden would have accomplished in 1 year what most presidents fail to do in 4 or even 8 years

Normally presidents fail to get a lot of what they want in their first term, so they spend the next election, telling voters if they are reelected they will finally deliver on a lot of what they promise them 4 years ago, but in Biden case he would in the rare position where his accomplishments would actually make a second term seem kind of pointless.

What about the FY 2023 bill? We could pass it before the midterms. Any hope for a public option?

I would be shocked if Dems try to pass anything as big as a public option during an election year

It would turn into a huge partisan fight since we know that not a single Republican will vote for it and the healthcare industry will also be against it. I can't see kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin, supporting something like that next year

Ultimately, whatever charges the Dems want for the healthcare system better be in the current reconciliation bill because there is no chance that is getting done in a FY 2023 bill
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #829 on: August 09, 2021, 07:00:52 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2021, 07:06:05 AM by Mr. Kanye West »

Lol, we already have Medicaid and Seniors as I said have dual coverage up to 1400 and get food stamps and everything else, Congress provided Ng More coverage on top of Medicare is for people whom are over income 1400, many seniors in my family already have Dual coverage because it's the only way they get their premiums paid for 150, unless they are over income

There isn't a need for Public option, I worked Part time and still qualified for Medicaid

The only thing Medicaid doesn't pay for for Seniors are false teeth, but who needs false teeth on molars, most people whom lose their teeth lose molars not front teeth that last a life time

If you are over income, you can't get Medicaid, but your nursing home is already paid for

Just like Minimum wage SF, NYC LAX and Chicago's poor blue collar Latinos and Blks migrate to already have 15, it's only in AL, NC and TX that have 10 due to Wasn't jobs not paying 15.00

T hi is is definitely a way for Politicians not to give us extended Unemployment benefits and another 1400

Just like Jan 6th is a way for Biden not to Prosecute Trump on Ukraine due to Hunter

Have you noticed Hunter never is seen like Chelsea or Trump kids, the only time you saw him was during the Inauguration

Poverty line to getting dual coverage is 1400 but in IL it's 120o due to cost of living
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #830 on: August 09, 2021, 08:17:38 AM »

Yeah that's fair.

If Joe Biden gets the of the reconciliation bill I agree that it will be over, but that is mainly because he actually succeeded in doing, what he set out to do and not because his agenda was cut short like Obama or Trump. He basically would be 1 of the few presidents who largely succeeded in getting most of their agenda through Congress

1. A Covid relief bill that introduced major new polices like the child tax credit

2. A bipartisan bill that is the largest investment in infrastructure since Dwight D. Eisenhower began the interstate highway system.

3. A reconciliation bill that deals with everything from childcare to climate change

Biden would have accomplished in 1 year what most presidents fail to do in 4 or even 8 years

Normally presidents fail to get a lot of what they want in their first term, so they spend the next election, telling voters if they are reelected they will finally deliver on a lot of what they promise them 4 years ago, but in Biden case he would in the rare position where his accomplishments would actually make a second term seem kind of pointless.

What about the FY 2023 bill? We could pass it before the midterms. Any hope for a public option?

I would be shocked if Dems try to pass anything as big as a public option during an election year

It would turn into a huge partisan fight since we know that not a single Republican will vote for it and the healthcare industry will also be against it. I can't see kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin, supporting something like that next year

Ultimately, whatever charges the Dems want for the healthcare system better be in the current reconciliation bill because there is no chance that is getting done in a FY 2023 bill
Passing the public option would boost Democrats in the midterms. Its easily the most important issue for me and the #1 reason for voting Democrat in 2020

I'll still vote Democrat in 2022 regardless but disheartened if I don't get a public option
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #831 on: August 09, 2021, 09:18:30 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #832 on: August 09, 2021, 09:22:47 AM »

Great news! If Biden gets this done, he'll be the best prez since at least Johnson.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #833 on: August 09, 2021, 11:00:57 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2021, 11:08:43 AM by Ferguson97 »

If this passes, Biden goes down as a top 5 President

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #834 on: August 09, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »

Passing this and the For the People Act would make Biden a historic president. This alone would write Biden into the history books with the likes of FDR and LBJ as one of the most anti-poverty presidents ever. Bidenomics here we come!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #835 on: August 09, 2021, 12:25:06 PM »

Add a gerrymandering ban, voting rights, and DC/PR statehood (with an established path for the others if they want it) and Biden may end up on Rushmore.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #836 on: August 09, 2021, 12:27:45 PM »

Add a gerrymandering ban, voting rights, and DC/PR statehood (with an established path for the others if they want it) and Biden may end up on Rushmore.

Let's add a public option too while we're at it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #837 on: August 09, 2021, 12:39:05 PM »

Let's add a public option too while we're at it.

Sounds good to me, but are there 50 votes for that, or at least 50 who aren't so strongly against it they'll derail the whole thing?

There should be 50 for voting rights stuff.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #838 on: August 09, 2021, 12:44:03 PM »

Would voting rights be counted as part of the budget, per the parliamentarian?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #839 on: August 09, 2021, 12:45:20 PM »

Would voting rights be counted as part of the budget, per the parliamentarian?

If Schumer, etc., can contrive a way to get all of the stuff from the Tweet in there, they can contrive a way to get voting rights in there.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #840 on: August 09, 2021, 12:45:32 PM »

Just to head any Sinema/Manchin discussion off, remember guys, if this ends up failing or getting watered down because of our two red-state Dems, don't waste your time bashing Sinema/Manchin/Biden/Schumer/whoever on Twitter.

Expend your time, energy and money helping us win in WI, PA, NC and OH, and hold AZ, GA, NH, and NV.

If we win 6 of those 8 seats then we never have to worry about what Sinema/Manchin think ever again.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #841 on: August 09, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »

Just to head any Sinema/Manchin discussion off, remember guys, if this ends up failing or getting watered down because of our two red-state Dems, don't waste your time bashing Sinema/Manchin/Biden/Schumer/whoever on Twitter.

Expend your time, energy and money helping us win in WI, PA, NC and OH, and hold AZ, GA, NH, and NV.

If we win 6 of those 8 seats then we never have to worry about what Sinema/Manchin think ever again.

OH is Safe R unless Mandel becomes Akin 2.0 so its not a competitive senate seat. Also even if you expand your senate majority , you guys will likely lose the house anyway
roxas11
United States

« Reply #842 on: August 09, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »

I'm skeptical that they can actually pass immigration reform using reconciliation because if that was the case, then I guarantee you that Trump and GOP would have put their version of immigration reform in their 2017 reconciliation bill when they were passing their big tax cut

I hope I'm wrong on this, but it would not surprise me at all if immigration ends up not being in the final bill
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #843 on: August 09, 2021, 03:51:17 PM »

We have a new deadline for the bipartisan infrastructure bill -early tomorrow morning:

Schumer signals Tuesday morning final vote for Senate infrastructure package
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said Monday that the package is on a "glide path for passage tomorrow morning."
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #844 on: August 09, 2021, 05:35:23 PM »

Is the sick leave provision finally including mandatory paid sick days for all Americans?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #845 on: August 09, 2021, 05:38:29 PM »

Yeah that's fair.

Biden's got to get a voting rights bill passed that at least bans gerrymandering and rolls back the most recent state-level restrictions, or his whole presidency (and the whole American experiment really) was for nothing. I am confident that he will.

That is quite possibly as important if not more so than his American Jobs and Families plans, as it will determine whether he will pass on a republic and a liberal democracy to future generations once his time in office is up.  

Also, if he is trying to be the Democratic Ronald Reagan, he owes it to the country to negotiate a new nuclear arms control deal with not only Russia, but also China before the recently-passed extension of President Obama's New START treaty expires five years from now.    
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #846 on: August 10, 2021, 12:56:07 AM »

According to the Associated Press, as many as 20 Republican senators could ultimately end up voting for this bipartisan package, creating an overwhelming majority of around 70 votes in favor:

Infrastructure on track as bipartisan Senate coalition grows
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #847 on: August 10, 2021, 03:27:25 AM »

Hopefully Biden's legacy will be the end of Reaganomics.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #848 on: August 10, 2021, 08:45:58 AM »

According to the Associated Press, as many as 20 Republican senators could ultimately end up voting for this bipartisan package, creating an overwhelming majority of around 70 votes in favor:

Infrastructure on track as bipartisan Senate coalition grows

That's usually what happens when the threshold for passage is reached. Senators who were previously undecided or lean No come out in favor because they know the bill is actually popular and would help their states. Nobody wants to be on the No side if it passes anyway. Only when political reasons are in play.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #849 on: August 10, 2021, 10:52:18 AM »

Passes 69 (nice)-30.

Now voting on opening the rec process.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies