Lieberman-Lamont Showdown: The Results are coming in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:19:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lieberman-Lamont Showdown: The Results are coming in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Author Topic: Lieberman-Lamont Showdown: The Results are coming in  (Read 50411 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 12:27:26 PM »

Just for the purpose of historical comparison, has there ever been a previous VP nominee who was so rejected by their own party?

All that, yet no mention of Mondale?

Lamont 58%
Lieberman 42%

Mondale lost in the general, after receiving a nomination he did not seek at the last minute.

There's a difference between losing in the general (see also Nixon, '62) and in the primary.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 12:27:53 PM »

Lamont: 56%
Lieberman: 44%
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 12:59:24 PM »

The anti-war folks turn out in the masses and crush lieberman.

Lamont-58%
Lieberman-42%

Lieberman gets thrown to the curb by the democratic establishment. He runs as an indy and loses barely.

Lamont-40%
Lieberman-38%
That GOP guy-19%
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 03:13:46 PM »

I was watching Lamont's interview on This Week yesterday and couldn't help but laugh when he said that one of biggest his political heroes is Teddy Roosevelt. I just find it ironic that the man's candidacy really centers around American foreign policy and how we are wrong for having an interventionist policy yet he adores a President known for spreading our military might across the globe.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 03:24:48 PM »

I have a question.  I do know that the filing deadline for running as an independent is this Wednesday; the day after the primary.  Has Lieberman already got the ~7500 signatures he needs?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006, 03:32:25 PM »

I have a question.  I do know that the filing deadline for running as an independent is this Wednesday; the day after the primary.  Has Lieberman already got the ~7500 signatures he needs?

No one has said anything about that yet (if anyone did, I haven't heard it). I'm sure he has enough otherwise we would see the Lieberman in more of a panic.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2006, 04:27:34 PM »

Yes. He collected them in less than a week. I hear he has over 25,000 to submit if needed.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2006, 06:37:48 PM »

it pains me to make this prediction (and i hope im wrong)

lamont 57
lieberman 43

lieberman drops his independent bid.  likely gets a cabinet position from bush sometime this year.

Maybe if we are lucky, we can finally get someone to replace Rumsfeld.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2006, 06:38:50 PM »

I'm not holding my breath until 2009...
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2006, 06:45:26 PM »

My prediction:

Lamont - 54%
Lieberman - 46%

Lieberman runs as an independent, loses support of most of the Democratic party, and then loses to Lamont by about 2% in November.

I did support Lieberman until he started pursuing this selfish independent bid.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2006, 06:50:57 PM »

I'd love to predict Lieberman 99 - Lamont 1 but I suspect it will be more like Lamont 52 - Lieberman 48 more's the pity Roll Eyes

Dave
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2006, 07:21:18 PM »

I did support Lieberman until he started pursuing this selfish independent bid.

Considering that the man would easily defeat any challengers in the general election due to his widespread popularity in the state, how exactly is he being selfish?  He clearly thinks that he's the better man for the job, so why shouldn't he try to protect himself?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2006, 07:24:44 PM »

I'd love to predict Lieberman 99 - Lamont 1 Smiley

Dave

Yep Liebs deserves a reward for that highly successful war he helped start to apparently fight the terrorists who caused 9/11. Maybe we should have invaded the White House.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2006, 07:49:34 PM »

Joseph Robinson was elected twice more to the Senate after his death.

Wow, now that's quite an accomplishment! Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2006, 08:00:02 PM »

the terrorists who caused 9/11. Maybe we should have invaded the White House.

Uh huh...
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2006, 08:51:47 PM »

Considering that the man would easily defeat any challengers in the general election due to his widespread popularity in the state, how exactly is he being selfish?

If he wants to run as an independent, he should run as an independent and not enter the Democratic primary.

He's trying to have it both ways and is looking like a very poor sport in the process.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2006, 09:58:30 PM »

Lamont likely to win the primary - how much I can't say. Then I sure hope Joe wins the general.

I don't at all blame Joe for waiting around to see what Dem voters do before he decides what to do. A party shift often severs a lot of ties and often fits into the category of what a buddy of mine used to call a "professional divorce." I think that's actually pretty accurate, heh! Let the voters initiate it, and if they're going to opt for Lamont over the equilibrium and left of center moderacy of Joe, then so be it. Run as an Indie.

Dems applauded the trick Jeffords pulled; this is nothing on that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2006, 10:16:13 PM »

lamont 57
lieberman 43

lieberman drops his independent bid.  likely gets a cabinet position from bush sometime this year.

Why do you honestly think Lynch in New Hampshire will lose when he has a 70+% approval rating and has led by more than 50 points in some polls?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2006, 10:20:57 PM »

lamont 57
lieberman 43

Why do you honestly think Lynch in New Hampshire will lose when he has a 70+% approval rating and has led by more than 50 points in some polls?

Wrong thread, perhaps?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2006, 10:22:30 PM »

Well I just decided to check out his predictions now and noticed that. Might as well ask in the thread where I first see the prediction.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2006, 10:24:33 PM »

Well I just decided to check out his predictions now and noticed that. Might as well ask in the thread where I first see the prediction.

I assume this was a mistake based on 2000 numbers, instead of 2002.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2006, 10:43:41 PM »

I assume this was a mistake based on 2000 numbers, instead of 2002.

more than likely 02 numbers instead of 04.  NH has 2 year terms.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2006, 11:15:59 PM »

I just thought I should let you guys know.

I'm working at the election tomorrow (in 6 hours!!). I'll be there for the morning shift (6 AM- 1 PM).

I got a call tonight from my town's registrar of voters. She said that thousands of independents across the state have switched their party registration to "Democrat" over the past few weeks in order to vote. She says it will be kind of chaotic because some people might think they're eligible to vote when they aren't, and I've worked enough elections to know that people can get very angry in those cases.

The polls open at 6 AM and close at 8 PM. I have to be there at 5:15 AM due to the unusual nature of tomorrow's election, we expect a lot of SNAFUS. I have to get some sleep now Smiley
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2006, 11:22:49 PM »

I'm working at the election tomorrow (in 6 hours!!). I'll be there for the morning shift (6 AM- 1 PM).

I got a call tonight from my town's registrar of voters. She said that thousands of independents across the state have switched their party registration to "Democrat" over the past few weeks in order to vote. She says it will be kind of chaotic because some people might think they're eligible to vote when they aren't, and I've worked enough elections to know that people can get very angry in those cases.

The polls open at 6 AM and close at 8 PM. I have to be there at 5:15 AM due to the unusual nature of tomorrow's election, we expect a lot of SNAFUS. I have to get some sleep now Smiley

Cubby,

Do you think these new democrats intend to vote for Lamont or Lieberman?

I ask because in 2002 Rendell got several Republicans and indies to switch to vote for him the primary...he also mailed them forms to switch back.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2006, 11:40:38 PM »

Cubby,

Do you think these new democrats intend to vote for Lamont or Lieberman?

I ask because in 2002 Rendell got several Republicans and indies to switch to vote for him the primary...he also mailed them forms to switch back.

I have the feeling that the newly registered voters are going to be strongly for Lamont. They wouldn't have taken the time to go to town hall and do the paperwork just to support an incumbent.

Connecticut has a stupid law that you have to wait 3 full months after you switch from Republican to Democrat , or vice versa, before you can vote in your new party's primary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies