Rush Limbaugh dead at 70
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:21:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rush Limbaugh dead at 70
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh dead at 70  (Read 7146 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2021, 08:35:30 PM »
« edited: February 20, 2021, 08:53:43 PM by Congrats, Griffin! »

Why is this thread seven pages?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2021, 11:35:49 PM »

“In Honor of Rush Limbaugh,” $425,000 in Donations to Planned Parenthood
The goal of donating $10,000 to reproductive health care has been far exceeded. More than $425,000 and counting has already been raised by 17,000 donors in Limbaugh’s memory. Read more about his legacy here.

*chef's kiss*
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2021, 07:51:10 AM »

Limbaugh had his high and low moments.  He certainly got caught in his own hypocrisy on the drug issue when he got caught with drugs himself.  His behavior over AIDS victims was over the top.  And (regrettably) he has supported most of the unwise wars and attacks on Civil Liberties (Patriot Act) because the bulk of the GOP supported them over time.  

The thing that used to peeve me the most about Limbaugh was his overt professing of Rugged Individualism as his philosophy of life and government.  The "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps; you can, too!" worldview.  Rush was an accomplished broadcaster and radio personality; indeed, he was at the top of his game longer than anyone else and he, almost single-handedly, made his brand of talk radio a NATIONAL institution, enabling people to bypass the "mainstream media" to get their points across.  HE did that himself.  But he also had more than a little help from his Dad at the start of his career to get opportunities when he was a nobody that others don't get.  His professions often failed to note the lack of "connections" on the part of so many that make the first step on the ladder to success in any area that much harder.  For many in America, "opportunity" meant a chance to get in on the ground floor . . . and stay there.  That wasn't Rush's experience, but it's the experience of probably a majority of Americans.  That, of course, has to be balanced against the fact that Rush Limbaugh did view America as a fundamentally GOOD nation.  This is far, far better than the Woketopians of today that view America as a Racist and Dystpopic Hellhole.

Did Rush Limbaugh deserve the "Presidential Medal of Freedom"?  As much as most recipients, yes.  That's like asking if Curt Schilling should be in the Hall of Fame.  The answer to that question is that most people who did what Schilling did on the mound are in the HOF, although some are not.  Most people who dominate a field as Limbaugh has, and who have "pioneering" credentials receive honors on the level of the MOF, although some do not.  My own belief on the MOF (and on sports HOFs as well) is that if someone is a "borderline" candidate I would prefer that the person be granted the honor while they (and their families) are alive to enjoy it.

If we want to talk about the flaws of people upon their death, we should expand this to all across the Spectrum.  I, for one, think there should be one standard for all.  It's either De mortuis nil nisi bonum" ("Of the dead, nothing but good.") or "My brother need not be enlarged in death beyond what he was in life." (a quote from Edward M. Kennedy's iconic eulogy of RFK, his brother).  The former is not the standard for Rush Limbaugh; it should not be the standard for RBG, either.  
[/quote]

He defamed people for disagreeing with hum.  He lied and pushed disinformation.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2021, 08:02:35 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2021, 09:02:13 AM by Congrats, Griffin! »

Limbaugh had his high and low moments.  He certainly got caught in his own hypocrisy on the drug issue when he got caught with drugs himself.  His behavior over AIDS victims was over the top.  And (regrettably) he has supported most of the unwise wars and attacks on Civil Liberties (Patriot Act) because the bulk of the GOP supported them over time.  

The thing that used to peeve me the most about Limbaugh was his overt professing of Rugged Individualism as his philosophy of life and government.  The "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps; you can, too!" worldview.  Rush was an accomplished broadcaster and radio personality; indeed, he was at the top of his game longer than anyone else and he, almost single-handedly, made his brand of talk radio a NATIONAL institution, enabling people to bypass the "mainstream media" to get their points across.  HE did that himself.  But he also had more than a little help from his Dad at the start of his career to get opportunities when he was a nobody that others don't get.  His professions often failed to note the lack of "connections" on the part of so many that make the first step on the ladder to success in any area that much harder.  For many in America, "opportunity" meant a chance to get in on the ground floor . . . and stay there.  That wasn't Rush's experience, but it's the experience of probably a majority of Americans.  That, of course, has to be balanced against the fact that Rush Limbaugh did view America as a fundamentally GOOD nation.  This is far, far better than the Woketopians of today that view America as a Racist and Dystpopic Hellhole.

Did Rush Limbaugh deserve the "Presidential Medal of Freedom"?  As much as most recipients, yes.  That's like asking if Curt Schilling should be in the Hall of Fame.  The answer to that question is that most people who did what Schilling did on the mound are in the HOF, although some are not.  Most people who dominate a field as Limbaugh has, and who have "pioneering" credentials receive honors on the level of the MOF, although some do not.  My own belief on the MOF (and on sports HOFs as well) is that if someone is a "borderline" candidate I would prefer that the person be granted the honor while they (and their families) are alive to enjoy it.

If we want to talk about the flaws of people upon their death, we should expand this to all across the Spectrum.  I, for one, think there should be one standard for all.  It's either De mortuis nil nisi bonum" ("Of the dead, nothing but good.") or "My brother need not be enlarged in death beyond what he was in life." (a quote from Edward M. Kennedy's iconic eulogy of RFK, his brother).  The former is not the standard for Rush Limbaugh; it should not be the standard for RBG, either.  

[/quote]

We live in a "Narrative-Driven" world.  Rush Limbaugh did his share of "disinformation", but so has MSNBC and CNN anchors.  If you're going to call out Rush Limbaugh, that's fine, and he earned some of that in his lifetime.  Consider what your news sources of choice have disseminated.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2021, 05:29:42 PM »

We live in a "Narrative-Driven" world.  Rush Limbaugh did his share of "disinformation", but so has MSNBC and CNN anchors.  If you're going to call out Rush Limbaugh, that's fine, and he earned some of that in his lifetime.  Consider what your news sources of choice have disseminated.
Rush Limbaugh spread racist conspiracy theories about where Obama was born; lied to millions about a stolen election; cheered when people died from AIDS; accused Democratic Presidents of being murderers; called a 12 year old girl a b*tch because her dad was a Democrat; said he thought black athletes looked like murdering gangs such as the Bloods and Crips; denied the Native American genocide; told people that smoking didn’t cause cancer; called on drug addicts to be sentenced to 20 years minimum as he abused drugs; referred to the President as “Barack the Magic Negro”; suggested oil spills were conspiracies to ban offshore drilling; mocked Michael J. Fox for having Parkinson’s and endorsing the wrong party; claimed that COVID, like the common cold, couldn’t kill people; and called the Christchurch shootings a false flag.

This is not comparable to any other mainstream commentator in the country.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2021, 05:40:25 PM »

We can thank Rush for spending how many years desensitizing everyone to the kind of rhetoric Trump uses. Singlehandedly got an entire party of people to call "grab em by the pussy" a nothingburger
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2021, 12:50:53 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/16/weekinreview/the-nation-the-gop-looks-homeward-on-trade.html

“the rising influence of conservative radio talk show hosts, who have led opposition to the global trade pact”
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2021, 02:25:37 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2021, 08:06:04 AM by Congrats, Griffin! »

Surprised some of these posts have escaped the awful moderation of this forum. If one believes in the good/evil paradigm, the oldest quote in this quote chain must be allowed to speak.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2021, 04:39:06 AM »

A tragic moment, and one that shows the true problems of this forum.
The fact that a man that mocks AIDS victims, spouts open racism, trafficks in vile conspiracy theories and routinely spread slanderous falsehoods and misinformation regarding the dangers of smoking is considered a hero of the conservative movement is a fair more telling signs something is off.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2021, 10:40:34 AM »

The fact that a man that mocks AIDS victims, spouts open racism, trafficks in vile conspiracy theories and routinely spread slanderous falsehoods and misinformation regarding the dangers of smoking is considered a hero of the conservative movement is a fair more telling signs something is off.

Better use the term "so called conservative movement". This is not conservatism by definition, it's just untruths and bigotry. May god have mercy for Limbaugh's sins on earth.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2021, 01:28:40 PM »

Better use the term "so called conservative movement". This is not conservatism by definition, it's just untruths and bigotry. May god have mercy for Limbaugh's sins on earth.

If a large majority of self-proclaimed conservatives routinely espouse untruths and bigtory... shouldn't we begin to define conservatism as such?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2021, 04:58:32 PM »

I'll say something positive.

He was funny on Family Guy.

Funniness and Family Guy go together like orange juice and toothpaste.
not since the third season.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2021, 05:25:13 PM »

Unless it is well-crafted fiction, the only "narrative" that I want to hear or read is the truth. CNN is not a great news source... but at the least MSNBC has and uses fact-checkers to keep from telling falsehoods. Sure, Rachel Maddow has bias, and it shows; note well that her factual basis holds up.

Rush Limbaugh never was a journalist.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2021, 01:47:39 AM »

You looked inside my fantasies and made each one come true
Something no one else, had ever found, a way to do
I've kept the memories one by one, since you took me in
I know I'll never love this way again
So I keep holdin' on, before the good is gone
Hold on, hold on, hold on
A fool will lose tomorrow reaching back for yesterday
I won't turn my head in sorrow if you should go away
I'll stand here and remember just how good it's been
And I know I'll never love this way again
So I keep holdin' on before the good is gone
I know I'll never, love this way again
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2021, 02:01:36 AM »

Rush Limbaugh spread racist conspiracy theories about where Obama was born; lied to millions about a stolen election; cheered when people died from AIDS; accused Democratic Presidents of being murderers; called a 12 year old girl a b*tch because her dad was a Democrat; said he thought black athletes looked like murdering gangs such as the Bloods and Crips; denied the Native American genocide; told people that smoking didn’t cause cancer; called on drug addicts to be sentenced to 20 years minimum as he abused drugs; referred to the President as “Barack the Magic Negro”; suggested oil spills were conspiracies to ban offshore drilling; mocked Michael J. Fox for having Parkinson’s and endorsing the wrong party; claimed that COVID, like the common cold, couldn’t kill people; and called the Christchurch shootings a false flag.

This is not comparable to any other mainstream commentator in the country.

In summary, go take your nap, Fuzzy.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2021, 04:55:43 AM »

Very glad to see Rush Limbaugh atoning for his hateful comments by turning his grave into a gender-neutral bathroom.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2021, 07:12:07 AM »

If Trump would of said 1 word about Covid victims on Monday he could have recovered with Minorities whom are in nursing homes and WC females are nurses and AA females taking care of them

But, he chose not to, and DeSantis lowered Flags to half staff for Limbaugh, neither one will be able to get AA in Dtw
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2021, 11:22:56 PM »

In case anyone is interested:

Rush Limbaugh buried at St. Louis cemetery
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2021, 11:55:19 PM »