Rush Limbaugh dead at 70
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 12:41:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rush Limbaugh dead at 70
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh dead at 70  (Read 7244 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2021, 02:37:39 PM »

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »

You're not supposed to speak ill of the dead.

That rule better change when Trump goes. That's all I'm saying.

When Trump dies, I’m going to impose a grave dancing = 24 hour ban from the US General board if things get out of hand.  That’s all I’m saying.  

Anyway, RIP

When did Atlas decide that grave-dancing of all thing was uniquely intolerable behavior? In many cases, it's 100% the right thing to do. Bad people deserve bad things--dead or otherwise.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2021, 02:49:54 PM »

This thread isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be when I clicked on it.

When Trump dies, I’m going to impose a grave dancing = 24 hour ban from the US General board if things get out of hand.  That’s all I’m saying.  

Anyway, RIP

In Trump's case he's caused 1000x more real world harm than Rush ever has. He just said mean things on the radio that hurt people's feelings, let's get over it.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2021, 02:51:29 PM »

This thread isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be when I clicked on it.

Anyway, RIP

In Trump's case he's caused 1000x more real world harm than Rush ever has. He just said mean things on the radio that hurt people's feelings, let's get over it.

The idea that Rush Limbaugh bears no responsibility for the current state of right wing politics in America is cute.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2021, 02:58:29 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2021, 06:55:23 PM by Congrats, Griffin! »

I did not know about this either.
Can someone confirm if this is true.
And if it is true, then mods need to throttle-back their quick-deletion-finger with some posts.

Apparent source:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19376529709391691
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2021, 03:31:09 PM »

One of the most despicable Americans in modern history. A hateful divider, a total hypocrite, and his popularity was not the result of any remarkable talent, he was just a perfect messenger for America's worst and ugliest demons. He is a lot like Trump in this way. For as personally detestable as both of them are you have to accept that their popularity is a projection of something deeper and uglier in the American public.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2021, 03:37:53 PM »

Trump went on Fox news and said he won, Fox news is Trump Reality TV now, it's not a real news source
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »

At the risk of doxxing myself (though maybe not since this applies to so many people), Rush once personally insulted a recently deceased relative of mine on-air right after they died.

The dozens of dead people he's probably insulted on air all have dozens of relatives.

Dozens is probably lowballing it.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2021, 03:47:14 PM »

In the early nineties I was a fan of sorts. I bought his first book "The Way Things Ought To Be" and found it very funny. I also bought his second book "See I Told You So" and found it very repetitive. When I had the chance - which wasn't often - I watched his TV show, while he had it.

So while I didn't agree with him on pretty much anything outside of abortion (I was pro-life as a teenager before I saw the light), I liked a lot of his content. But this was also a time when republicans weren't traitors and authoritarians the way that they are now. The party changed, and unfortunately Limbaugh played a not insignificant role in that change towards cult of personality authoritarianism.

Anyway, R.I.P.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2021, 03:58:18 PM »

I know who and what he was but celebrating or speaking ill of the dead is pretty horrible.

I found Rush deplorable but I never wished him harm, just as I don’t wish Trump harm (nor will I celebrate his death when that happens).  People need to be more respectful, even toward people who lack respect; even toward people who did terrible things while alive.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2021, 04:12:04 PM »

I know who and what he was but celebrating or speaking ill of the dead is pretty horrible.

I found Rush deplorable but I never wished him harm, just as I don’t wish Trump harm (nor will I celebrate his death when that happens).  People need to be more respectful, even toward people who lack respect; even toward people who did terrible things while alive.

Counter-argument:

I’m not a huge Hitchens fan and am not even taking a side in this “don’t speak ill of the dead” argument, as I can see both sides. But I do find the idea that just because someone is dead, we should whitewash everything bad they did while alive and act like it never happened, a little absurd.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2021, 04:21:58 PM »

I was never a fan of Limbaugh's politics or many of the things he said. I even published a paper on the harm some of his comments caused during Hurricane Irma. However, I am grateful for his pioneering work in radio, breaking the news monopolies of the time, and for his impact in sustaining the conservative movement throughout the 1990s, even if in a quite flawed form. There are many who mourn his loss, and I hope they find comfort. As with Trump, my hope is that the right takes whatever is good about what Limbaugh created, jettison the rest, and grow onward.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2021, 04:26:39 PM »

Okay.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2021, 04:43:18 PM »

Can't say I'm terribly broken up about it.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2021, 04:52:29 PM »

I found Rush deplorable but I never wished him harm, just as I don’t wish Trump harm (nor will I celebrate his death when that happens).  People need to be more respectful, even toward people who lack respect; even toward people who did terrible things while alive.

Counter-argument:

I’m not a huge Hitchens fan and am not even taking a side in this “don’t speak ill of the dead” argument, as I can see both sides. But I do find the idea that just because someone is dead, we should whitewash everything bad they did while alive and act like it never happened, a little absurd.

Oh what he did while alive is absolutely fair game and shouldn’t be discarded.

But his actual death and/or suffering while alive shouldn’t be celebrated just because he was a terrible person.  Absolutely talk about the bad things he did.  But I’ve seen considerable hate and making fun of his death even.  I think that’s where we should draw the line.

For everything bad he said, did, and stood for he still had a family and he was still a human being.  I think we should extend some dignity even if he wouldn’t have done so to others and yes, even if he didn’t deserve it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2021, 04:54:29 PM »

After my mom died I have a different view of death, leaving is your reward, not a sobering time, either you are waiting for reincarnation or you are in nirvana until Judgement day.

It's not the end, days and time are different in space than on Earth plane, but the dead will be missed,.
They are no longer suffering
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2021, 04:57:57 PM »

After my mom died I have a different view of death, leaving is your reward, not a sobering time, either you are waiting for reincarnation or you are in nirvana until Judgement day.

It's not the end, days and time are different in space than on Earth plane, but the dead will be missed,.

Thank you king Purple heart. That was beautiful. But I must ask, is death still inevitable?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2021, 05:07:21 PM »

Counter-argument:

It's astounding to think that this is from 14 years ago (May 2007); moreover, both Alan Colmes and Christopher Hitchens are now deceased. It's also interesting to see how Sean Hannity was the same smarmy and arrogant character then as he is now, though not surprising. But nevertheless, while I certainly don't think we should ignore the accomplishments-good and bad-of someone, I'm also, as I've made clear repeatedly before, not someone who likes to dance over the graves of others. And I'm glad to see that some people on here have been exercising restraint with their responses to Limbaugh's death.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2021, 05:48:03 PM »

Counter-argument:

It's astounding to think that this is from 14 years ago (May 2007); moreover, both Alan Colmes and Christopher Hitchens are now deceased. It's also interesting to see how Sean Hannity was the same smarmy and arrogant character then as he is now, though not surprising. But nevertheless, while I certainly don't think we should ignore the accomplishments-good and bad-of someone, I'm also, as I've made clear repeatedly before, not someone who likes to dance over the graves of others. And I'm glad to see that some people on here have been exercising restraint with their responses to Limbaugh's death.

Why should people "exercise restraint?"'
As has been posted, Limbaugh would read the full names of people who have died of AIDS on his show, and then makes sounds of bells and whistles in celebratory fashion.
Can you imagine the emotional pain those people's family and friends experienced, knowing Limbaugh did this?
Why should anyone show him respect, when it became his time to leave this Earth?
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2021, 05:49:47 PM »

Close the thread. I think this is a great note to end on.

Thank you.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2021, 05:52:17 PM »

Counter-argument:

As has been posted, Limbaugh would read the full names of people who have died of AIDS on his show, and then makes sounds of bells and whistles in celebratory fashion.
Can you imagine the emotional pain those people's family and friends experienced, knowing Limbaugh did this?
Why should anyone show him respect, when it became his time to leave this Earth?

Time and time again, whether the object of derision was David Koch, George H.W. and Barbara Bush, Herman Cain, John Lewis, Charles Krauthammer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, etc., I've held the exact same position, that one should not celebrate the deaths of others or dance over their graves. This same standard holds true for Rush Limbaugh as well.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2021, 05:58:39 PM »

Counter-argument:

Time and time again, whether the object of derision was David Koch, George H.W. and Barbara Bush, Herman Cain, John Lewis, Charles Krauthammer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, etc., I've held the exact same position, that one should not celebrate the deaths of others or dance over their graves. This same standard holds true for Rush Limbaugh as well.

I don't think you read the real guts of what I wrote.
Limbaugh was celebrating the death of other people (normal citizens) simply for dying of an infection/disease.
If those other names you read did the same, then they would deserve similar condemnation.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2021, 06:04:53 PM »

A tragic moment, and one that shows the true problems of this forum.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2021, 06:05:09 PM »

Counter-argument:

I don't think you read the real guts of what I wrote.
Limbaugh was celebrating the death of other people (normal citizens) simply for dying of an infection/disease.
If those other names you read did the same, then they would deserve similar condemnation.

No, I'm aware of what you're saying. I'm just reiterating the position on the deaths of prominent individuals which I've held for a long time now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies