McConnell and Schumer Agreement on Committees/Rules
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:15:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McConnell and Schumer Agreement on Committees/Rules
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
Author Topic: McConnell and Schumer Agreement on Committees/Rules  (Read 17417 times)
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 08:04:21 PM »

Unless this is part of a secret agreement to convict and ban trump, I loath this typical Democratic move.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2021, 08:04:52 PM »

Remember when people laughed at the suggestion that Biden's presidency wouldn't see Democrats coddling and making needless and damaging concessions to Republicans? This is what happens when you allow centrism to take over the party and dismiss any criticism as it as being fringe or damaging to "unity". Congratulations Democrats, you elected four more years of Republican rule.

Please explain to us how an organizing resolution that's not only necessary for the Senate to proceed with doing literally anything but literally benefits the Democrats on balance given the wording thereof is a "coddling," "needless and damaging concession to Republicans" that equates to "four more years of Republican rule." We're all just dying to know how.

Explain to me why Democrats should be negotiating ANYTHING with Republicans? Lock them out of say like they did to the Dems for the last decade.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2021, 08:06:04 PM »

Remember when people laughed at the suggestion that Biden's presidency wouldn't see Democrats coddling and making needless and damaging concessions to Republicans? This is what happens when you allow centrism to take over the party and dismiss any criticism as it as being fringe or damaging to "unity". Congratulations Democrats, you elected four more years of Republican rule.

Please explain to us how an organizing resolution that's not only necessary for the Senate to proceed with doing literally anything but literally benefits the Democrats on balance given the wording thereof is a "coddling," "needless and damaging concession to Republicans" that equates to "four more years of Republican rule." We're all just dying to know how.

Explain to me why Democrats should be negotiating ANYTHING with Republicans? Lock them out of say like they did to the Dems for the last decade.

Come back & talk to us when you actually know what an organizing resolution is, because you clearly don't right now. Not only does it merely detail the procedures for committee operations in a 50-50 Senate, but it explicitly says that Schumer will be in control of the agenda. For all intents & purposes, it literally is locking them out.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2021, 08:09:58 PM »

The D's control what comes to the floor and what doesn't, the schedule, that's all that matters
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2021, 08:10:40 PM »

The D's control what comes to the floor and what doesn't, the schedule, that's all that matters

Drag them, King.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2021, 08:15:38 PM »

Why is the "left" in this country so laughably incompetent and stupid?

No, it's the people who don't know how to read past headlines who are stupid & who would be so laughably incompetent were it not for the people who do know how to read covering for them.

C'mon now, don't kill the "Nancy and Chuck are complicit in the destruction of America" narrative using facts and logic. That's no fun.

Okay, I confess I didn't read past the headline. I'm not trying to create a narrative here and I've criticized both the left and the center-left for their marketing and governing styles.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 08:19:24 PM »

No, it's the people who don't know how to read past headlines who are stupid & who would be so laughably incompetent were it not for the people who do know how to read covering for them.

C'mon now, don't kill the "Nancy and Chuck are complicit in the destruction of America" narrative using facts and logic. That's no fun.

Okay, I confess I didn't read past the headline. I'm not trying to create a narrative here and I've criticized both the left and the center-left for their marketing and governing styles.

Thank you for actually admitting your mistake instead of stubbornly digging in your heels like some other posters. This is the kind of rational, civil discourse of which more is desperately needed today. But yeah, it's quite the misnomer to call it "power-sharing" when literally all it does is make clear that Schumer & the Dems are still in charge of a tied Senate.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 08:22:49 PM »

Because the "left" in this country is right wing by every international standard.

Because this is the internet and people don't read the article, just the headline

Republicans have had near absolute rule the last four years. They deserve zero say in anything beyond their elected officials voting on proposals.

Okay and? so? What here contradicts that?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 08:23:01 PM »

Thank you for actually admitting your mistake instead of stubbornly digging in your heels like some other posters. This is the kind of rational, civil discourse of which more is desperately needed today. But yeah, it's quite the misnomer to call it "power-sharing" when literally all it does is make clear that Schumer & the Dems are still in charge of a tied Senate.

I'll admit the same, but I stand by what I said that Dems should give Republicans absolutely nothing, and they have a history of caving easily so there is reason to have made that assumption.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »

Isn’t CNN at least partly to blame for their always flashy, drama llama headlines?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 08:29:46 PM »

At the start of a session, an organizing resolution needs to be passed that sets the rules. That needs 60 votes. Meaning it needs McConnell's support. So before everyone flips their collective sh**t, know that this result was guaranteed in a 50/50 senate.
AHEM. The answer is right here.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2021, 08:41:47 PM »

Republicans have had near absolute rule the last four years. They deserve zero say in anything beyond their elected officials voting on proposals.

They never had only 50 Senators. We needed to win more races if we wanted more control. I'm just glad we have the nominal majority.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2021, 08:55:23 PM »

WI, PA, GA and NC are D's top priority in 2022, so D's can have a 53/47 Senate after 2022
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2021, 09:27:07 PM »

WI, PA, GA and NC are D's top priority in 2022, so D's can have a 53/47 Senate after 2022

LOL, Democrats are really bad at gaining Senate seats in midterms. In fact, the only midterms where Democrats have gained more than 1 Senate seat since 1962 were the 6th year of a Republican President (1974, 1986, and 2006).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2021, 09:34:28 PM »

Come back & talk to us when you actually know what an organizing resolution is, because you clearly don't right now. Not only does it merely detail the procedures for committee operations in a 50-50 Senate, but it explicitly says that Schumer will be in control of the agenda. For all intents & purposes, it literally is locking them out.

It really isn't.

Though it does seem that hands are tied in this case.

Which only proves how damaging Biden has already proven. A stronger message, an entire condemnation of the GOP - not just Trump, car rallies sooner in, all of these could've produced an actual majority. Also not shooing away Jeff Jackson [or hell, backing Erica Smith!].
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2021, 09:37:53 PM »

What exactly is the problem here? Tied committee votes will still get to the floor, we set the schedule, we control the Chairmanships of every committee. Is there something I'm missing?
No you're not missing anything, People just like to bitch.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2021, 10:59:58 PM »

I see this turned into a fun lil' contentious thread.

In hindsight, I should have altered CNN's headline. "Power Sharing" is not really a fair term in this discussion, as has been mentioned the Dems will still be chairing the committees, plus tied votes will end up on the floor. I'll go ahead and change the thread title.

Just to elaborate a bit, I do affirm that objecting to Schumer's decision is a completely valid stance. Given the boundaries of a 50-50 Senate and the urgency to pass the organizing resolution, I do see the logic in passing this agreement swiftly and moving forward with other issues. However, I do wish there was a modicum of public pressure on Manchin/Tester/Sinema to eliminate the filibuster for the resolution, if possible.

After the Trump's attempt to overturn the election and McConnell's outright disdain and disregard for the opposition (Remember Schumer's "You'll regret this" from the ACB remarks?), I would hope that there would be a bit more resistance to stacking tied committees with lunatics like Cruz and Tuberville. They ought to view it as a matter of national security, but I suppose that's asking too much out of the current Dem composition. Oh well.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2021, 11:29:15 PM »

Just to elaborate a bit, I do affirm that objecting to Schumer's decision is a completely valid stance. Given the boundaries of a 50-50 Senate and the urgency to pass the organizing resolution, I do see the logic in passing this agreement swiftly and moving forward with other issues. However, I do wish there was a modicum of public pressure on Manchin/Tester/Sinema to eliminate the filibuster for the resolution, if possible.

Well, yeah, it's hypothetically possible but when you have the most anti-filibuster of Senate Democratic aides arguing that it'd be a strategic error when (what he perceives as their inevitably) going nuclear can be timed for maximum impact by saving it for actual policies that actually matter, it's just unrealistic:

Cashew
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2021, 11:43:01 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 11:54:55 AM by Cashew »

While not reading past the headline is bad, considering past incidents like Leahy's blue slip nonsense Democrats deserve all the suspicion they have received in this thread, if not more.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2021, 12:26:13 AM »

Did you actually read what happened, or did you just read the headline?  It's pretty much confirmed that Porter is in the wrong here this is a nothingburger.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2021, 12:32:58 AM »

Please tell me this is sarcasm, did you not read the rest of the thread.

sees maroon avatar Oh of course not
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2021, 12:45:32 AM »

The Senate is a power-sharing institution by design. It doesn't mean both sides have equal power.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2021, 03:53:44 AM »

I remember during the Kavanaugh hearings there was all this talk that McConnel could just bring it to the floor even if the Judiciary Committee vote failed. Does it even matter how many seats Dems have as long as they chair? I guess they could get more speaking and question time. But even if a bill fails committee because a Dem is out sick or something, Schumer can just bring it to the floor anyway, right?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2021, 05:10:14 AM »

At the start of a session, an organizing resolution needs to be passed that sets the rules. That needs 60 votes. Meaning it needs McConnell's support. So before everyone flips their collective sh**t, know that this result was guaranteed in a 50/50 senate.

Bullsh**t. The Republicans didn't have these rules when they had Cheney breaking ties to have the majority in early 2001.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2021, 05:34:16 AM »

Bullsh**t. The Republicans didn't have these rules when they had Cheney breaking ties to have the majority in early 2001.

The article says they did.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies