McConnell and Schumer Agreement on Committees/Rules
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 07:45:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McConnell and Schumer Agreement on Committees/Rules
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]
Author Topic: McConnell and Schumer Agreement on Committees/Rules  (Read 17653 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2021, 05:12:53 PM »

It just happened on C-SPAN 2. Schumer interrupted Casey, he asked for unanimous consent for S.Res. 27-30 which, I believe was it.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?508582-1/senate-session&live

It sounds like they're discussing something abortion-related right now.

Unanimous consent, so it would have only taken them a few seconds to do it. It’s passed now; I believe Dems are now in control of all committee chairs.

Ahhh. Well that was anticlimactic, but probably for the best. Tongue
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #401 on: February 03, 2021, 05:13:22 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2021, 05:23:21 PM by AndyHogan14 »

Hallelujah!

Well, look at that:

https://www.budget.senate.gov/chairman/newsroom

They moved so fast to make Bernie the chair on the website, that Harris and Enzi are still on there as committee members:

https://www.budget.senate.gov/about/committee-members

LOL, they already changed it, but screen caps are forever: http://bit.ly/3auEPAy
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #402 on: February 03, 2021, 05:23:21 PM »

Out of curiosity, how long has it taken in previous Senates to pass an OR after a party flip? This one took 14 days, which *seems* to me like it's unusually long, but maybe I'm wrong.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #403 on: February 03, 2021, 05:24:35 PM »

Out of curiosity, how long has it taken in previous Senates to pass an OR after a party flip? This one took 14 days, which *seems* to me like it's unusually long, but maybe I'm wrong.

To be fair, they usually have the entire lame-duck to negotiate any changes, so it usually is done on day one. With that said, this should have been taken care of before January 20.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #404 on: February 03, 2021, 05:27:43 PM »

To be fair, they usually have the entire lame-duck to negotiate any changes, so it usually is done on day one. With that said, this should have been taken care of before January 20.

Right. We've known since January 6 that Dems would take the Senate, so the delay was really 28 days.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #405 on: February 03, 2021, 05:31:09 PM »

It's usually done on Day 1 anyway because ORs don't usually require negotiations like this to pass. Unfortunately, 50-50 Senates mean needing to decide how to proceed with tied-committee procedures, amendment procedures, & the like.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #406 on: February 03, 2021, 05:32:05 PM »

It's usually done on Day 1 anyway because ORs don't usually require negotiations to pass. 50-50 Senates mean needing to decide how to proceed with committee procedures & the like.

How long did the negotiations in 2001 take?
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #407 on: February 03, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »

It's usually done on Day 1 anyway because ORs don't usually require negotiations to pass. 50-50 Senates mean needing to decide how to proceed with committee procedures & the like.

Not very long apparently.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/107/sres8

It says here that the organizing resolution for the 107th congress was passed on January 5th, 2001.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #408 on: February 03, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »

Passed on January 5th, negotiations began in late November and modified on the 8th to iron a few issues.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #409 on: February 03, 2021, 05:42:56 PM »

Passed on January 5th, negotiations began in late November and modified on the 8th to iron a few issues.

I see. So negotiating for about a month is standard, it's just that this time it started abnormally late. I guess that makes sense.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #410 on: February 03, 2021, 05:47:17 PM »

Now that you mention it, I guess the Georgia senate races probably prevented any serious negotiations from taking place until January.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #411 on: February 03, 2021, 05:56:42 PM »

There seems to be quite a correlation between being Senate Pro Tempore and chairing the Appropriations committee.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #412 on: February 03, 2021, 06:06:15 PM »

There seems to be quite a correlation between being Senate Pro Tempore and chairing the Appropriations committee.

Not surprising given that both PPT status and committee chairmanships are a function of seniority, and the Appropriations committee is the most prized of all.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #413 on: February 03, 2021, 06:30:34 PM »

I see. So negotiating for about a month is standard, it's just that this time it started abnormally late. I guess that makes sense.

Understandably so, given everyone was waiting for the outcome of the Georgia Senate runoffs which would determine which party controls the Senate.  
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #414 on: February 03, 2021, 06:49:14 PM »

The Senate has rules of debate unanimous consent and the Filibuster rule, the House operates on a Majority rule.

If a Senator doesn't like something other than nominations, they can object and then must overcome a filibuster

But, some unanimous consents won't allow even a vote on resolutions, if the Senate doesn't like it.

But, as I said earlier, the D's aren't blowing up the Filibuster, on Statehood, they want 10 moderate Rs to vote on Immigrantion reform, then they will vote to get rid of Fillibuster on DC Statehood
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #415 on: February 03, 2021, 08:15:28 PM »

Manchin said today that he doesn't see the need to go nuke, many states already has a 15 or 10 minimum wage and that it won't be included in the Covid bill.  That the decision will be made up to Parliamentary.

The only states that have a below than average minimum wage are the NE like ME, BH, VR, KY, MS, and Sununu vetoed that minimum wage and he will be scrutinized for it if he goes for Senate

The D's are very anxious to pass Immigration reform which can get 60 votes without DC or PR Statehood until we get to 2022
BH and VR aren’t states.

VT and NH have the lowest minimum wage and ME due to fact the elect statewide Rs like Phil Scott, LePage, and Sununu whom vetoed Minimum wage. It's capped at 9.00 not 10 or 15 like IL, CA and PA

Scott still has a 74 percent approval rating

We do need a minimum wage increase
Oh ok. I didn't realize that you meant Vermont and New Hampshire. I do agree that a minimum wage increase is necessary. Probably start at $12 and increase to $15 by 2024 or 2025.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #416 on: February 05, 2021, 04:26:55 PM »

After Jeffords switched, were there renegotiations again?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2021, 04:33:12 PM »

After Jeffords switched, were there renegotiations again?

No renegotiation was required, given that the Jeffords switch provided the Democrats with the 51 votes needed to organize the chamber on their own, meaning provisions like equal representation & staffing on committees were no longer required.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #418 on: February 05, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »

All rules are passed thru unanimous consent but if 1 Senator objects, there is a Fillibuster and 60 votes are required but since the Ds are the Majority party again, they will seek to end the Filibuster

That applied to 2001/2020
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies