McConnell and Schumer Agreement on Committees/Rules
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:03:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McConnell and Schumer Agreement on Committees/Rules
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17
Author Topic: McConnell and Schumer Agreement on Committees/Rules  (Read 17421 times)
walleye26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2021, 08:13:43 PM »
« edited: January 23, 2021, 08:40:11 PM by walleye26 »

Honestly, abolish the filibuster. I’m sick and tired of the stupid argument of protecting minority rights. Yes, the passions of the people can be dumb. But the filibuster has been used to block anti-lynching, anti-civil rights laws for decades. It’s about the losers being able to prevent the winners from doing anything.

Also, if we get off atlas, I would bet less than 30% of people understand what the filibuster actually is. It’s on borrowed time anyway.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2021, 12:18:16 AM »

I will say it before and I will say it again, being back the speaking requirement.
I want to see Ted Cruz go hoarse.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »

Okay this is a negative development if it holds.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2021, 11:42:01 AM »

Not a surprise but still disappointing. Practically nothing will get done if the filibuster isn't removed.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2021, 11:43:19 AM »

Yeah and Schumer needs to agree to the power sharing agreement, it's only 2 yrs til we pick up seats in midterm
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2021, 11:43:33 AM »

Not a surprise but still disappointing. Practically nothing will get done if the filibuster isn't removed.

Or just keep the filibuster, but go back to the old fashioned filibuster.  
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2021, 11:44:06 AM »

Sinema is a soft speaking communist.
Honestly I would consider letting her lose to a primary if she wasn’t in a swing state.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2021, 11:44:35 AM »

We'll see
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2021, 11:47:41 AM »

Sinema is a soft speaking communist.
Honestly I would consider letting her lose to a primary if she wasn’t in a swing state.

If she were a communist she wouldn’t be saying this.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2021, 11:53:12 AM »

"For now" - Chuck.
Malarkey Decider
United States

« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2021, 11:57:44 AM »

Do you really think that there is any chance the filibuster is changed is any way at all in the next 2 years?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2021, 11:58:49 AM »

Do you really think that there is any chance the filibuster is changed is any way at all in the next 2 years?

I don't think it, I know it. Every Senator who claims to be an "institutionalist" has their breaking point. Coons did. King did. Feinstein did. McCain did. Sinema will too (& that's assuming that this statement isn't just Manchin-like huffing & puffing).
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2021, 12:03:05 PM »

Yes unless Schumer backs down during the organizing rules resolution but today’s developments is a negative sign no question.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »

I don't think it, I know it. Every Senator who claims to be an "institutionalist" has their breaking point. Coons did. King did. Feinstein did. McCain did. Sinema will too (& that's assuming that this statement isn't just Manchin-like huffing & puffing).

Sinema isn't an institutionalist though.  She's just a megalomaniac devoid of any genuine ideological beliefs whose current schtick is branding herself as a ConservaDem at times bordering on the edges of DINO territory.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she switches parties if the Senate flips in 2022.  I'm not saying she will, only that no one should be surprised if she does.  I worry far more about her deliberately tanking the Democratic policy agenda then I do about Manchin's fake #ModerateHero song and dance routine.  

On the bright side, the fact that she is devoid of any real beliefs beyond "whatever advances Krysten Sinema's political fortunes at the moment is good, everything else be d***ed" means that it means less when she says she's not open to changing her mind than it would with someone like Coons or Angus King.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2021, 12:18:23 PM »

It's only a two yr agreement and Portman, Toomey and Burr have just retired we has 3 open seats and 2 vulnerable inc in Warnock and Johnson, our chances of going nuke improved in 2023
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2021, 12:23:58 PM »

Sinema isn't an institutionalist though.  She's just a megalomaniac devoid of any genuine ideological beliefs whose current schtick is branding herself as a ConservaDem at times bordering on the edges of DINO territory.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she switches parties if the Senate flips in 2022.  I'm not saying she will, only that no one should be surprised if she does.  I worry far more about her deliberately tanking the Democratic policy agenda then I do about Manchin's fake #ModerateHero song and dance routine.  

On the bright side, the fact that she is devoid of any real beliefs beyond "whatever advances Krysten Sinema's political fortunes at the moment is good, everything else be d***ed" means that it means less when she says she's not open to changing her mind than it would with someone like Coons or Angus King.
Hm...maybe it is time to threaten a primary challenge.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2021, 12:25:06 PM »

I think she should be primaried regardless of what she does with the filibuster tbh. At best, she's another Joe Lieberman waiting to happen.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2021, 12:35:57 PM »

I’ve long felt the bolded part dating back to 2019 and I’ve been surprised she had been so quiet recently.

FWIW she also is on record for opposing a public option: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kyrsten-sinema-not-progressive_n_5bdca881e4b09d43e31edfa3

I’d be surprised if she switches parties because one she’s a bisexual atheist and two she regularly attacks the AZ GOP on Twitter. She comes off as a straight shooter moderate hero who virtue signals a lot less than most Dems (which in part explains why she’s somewhat strong electorally) and idk how real it is.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2021, 12:42:02 PM »

I’ve long felt the bolded part dating back to 2019 and I’ve been surprised she had been so quiet recently.

FWIW she also is on record for opposing a public option: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kyrsten-sinema-not-progressive_n_5bdca881e4b09d43e31edfa3

I’d be surprised if she switches parties because one she’s a bisexual atheist and two she regularly attacks the AZ GOP on Twitter. She comes off as a straight shooter moderate hero who virtue signals a lot less than most Dems (which in part explains why she’s somewhat strong electorally) and idk how real it is.

It’s quite interesting because she used to be extremely progressive. It’s hard to tell if she herself changed her views, she adjusted since now she represents a more moderate swing state, or a combination of both. However, with that being said, anyone who would wear a pink wig to the Senate isn’t switching to Republican.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2021, 12:45:28 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2021, 12:55:42 PM by KaiserDave »

Kyrsten Sinema would never change parties ahahahhahahaa. Have you seen the AZGOP? ahahahhahahaa. ahahahaha.

ahahhahahah

I know she's a slippery eel, but saying she'd become a Republican is just not true.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2021, 02:24:01 PM »

I don’t know which is more delusional, the idea that Sinema would switch parties or the idea that she’d change her mind on this.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2021, 02:32:39 PM »

I think she should be primaried regardless of what she does with the filibuster tbh. At best, she's another Joe Lieberman waiting to happen.

Barring a leftward shift, as long as the primary opponent isn’t a Tilab/Omar level nutcase, I’d agree. This is one of the few times where the argument of what good does a Democrat in the seat though if she isn’t going to act like one the far left props up is actually true.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2021, 02:36:21 PM »

Disappointing they're not nuking the filibuster. I used to be a proponent of compromises, especially with the a congress split almost in the middle. However, Republicans should not be allowed to stall urgent duties such as the economic relief. I really don't get why they're not passing this package right away when all economists from liberal to conservative agree on the fact it's necessary to get things back on track.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2021, 02:37:41 PM »

Kyrsten Sinema would never change parties ahahahhahahaa. Have you seen the AZGOP? ahahahhahahaa. ahahahaha.

ahahhahahah

I know she's a slippery eel, but saying she'd become a Republican is just not true.

Sure, but she could become a de facto Republican by becoming an independent who caucuses with them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2021, 03:20:31 PM »

I don’t know which is more delusional, the idea that Sinema would switch parties or the idea that she’d change her mind on this.

What happens if she does neither, and there is no power sharing agreement to boot?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies