DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:29:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40224 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 10:00:06 PM »

That doesn't make any sense and wouldn't be legal or constitutional. DC and Puerto Rico have nothing in common (DC is completely urban whereas Puerto Rico has rural areas). And how would you select which people are in the statehood half and the non-statehood half?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 10:01:37 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2021, 10:07:26 PM by MT Treasurer »

It was NID he was going to vote in party line in most important democratic legislation, GOP needs to stop this "Manchin isn't going to vote for x thing", he will.

Yeah, this talking point was always just delusion and/or wishful thinking from many Republicans and progressives alike. Manchin is a reliable vote for the de-facto elimination of the filibuster (although it’s cute that people are somehow still falling for this even after he literally voted to impeach Trump, bashed Trump and his voters after Biden's election/WV almost gave him 70% of the vote, and waited until Collins had announced to declare his support for Kavanaugh, etc.). Shows you just how gullible people are, mostly but not exclusively on the Republican side (see: Collins, Sununu, Garcia, ...).
walleye26

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 10:12:49 PM »

Honestly, the whole “Manchin is a Republican” shtick here is getting old. If he really wanted to be one, he would’ve been out years ago. He doesn’t, and it’s ridiculous people keep saying it. You want to know why Manchin is always the one saying this? He’s the fall guy if more Liberal Dems dont want to support something but don’t want to upset the liberal base. They can ask Manchin to be the one to come out against it so they don’t have to.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 10:13:40 PM »

Please split California in half.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 10:14:00 PM »

It was NID he was going to vote in party line in most important democratic legislation, GOP needs to stop this "Manchin isn't going to vote for x thing", he will.

Yeah, this talking point was always just delusion and/or wishful thinking from many Republicans and progressives alike. Manchin is a reliable vote for the de-facto elimination of the filibuster (although it’s cute that people are somehow still falling for this even after he literally voted to impeach Trump, bashed Trump and his voters after Biden's election/WV almost gave him 70% of the vote, and waited until Collins had announced to declare his support for Kavanaugh, etc.). Shows you just how gullible people are, mostly but not exclusively on the Republican side (see: Collins, Sununu, Garcia, ...).

TRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFECTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's total Democratic control time.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 10:14:47 PM »

Just so long as you guys have to keep Newsom.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 10:20:14 PM »

I love the lack of understanding of sarcasm in here....
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 10:21:08 PM »

just make DC part of Puerto Rico.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 10:23:00 PM »

They should add the remaining halves of DC and Puerto Rico to Maryland IMO.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:23 PM »

Admitting DC as a state is one of the most obvious decisions anyone can make. 700,000 people have no say in the federal government.

It's a done deal, and will happen in a few weeks.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 10:48:52 PM »

They should add the remaining halves of DC and Puerto Rico to Maryland IMO.
Wyoming*
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 10:54:27 PM »

Just so long as you guys have to keep Newsom.

Deal. You can have Kevin McCarthy.

Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 11:29:45 PM »

He is very smart to keep his "moderate" status, but when it matters, he always vote party line. Like you said, he only vote for Kavanaugh because they had the votes and he waited for Collins, also his 60% Trump record it's mostly because republicans have the votes and he needs to look bipartisan.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 11:48:46 PM »

This post got me thinking

If he is convicted by the Senate then no.

Otherwise, maybe lower the flag 1/4 of the way. Trump evidently did get some things accomplished that some people liked, so perhaps we should give him a little bit of credit.

there's always a way to make everybody happy.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2021, 12:35:42 AM »

I assume you mean by using a giant laser to physically divide them in two. Otherwise this would just be silly
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2021, 12:35:57 AM »

No current US territories meet the requirements to become a state in my opinion.

PR is too different, a very small percentage of its population can actually speak English. If the average Puerto Rican can’t communicate with the average North Carolinian, then that’s a problem, because citizens of the same country need to be able to communicate. Additionally, Puerto Rico is corrupt, and I feel like they just want the feds to bail them out.

DC is too small territorially. That’s a problem because then it will be compromised of only a single city. That leads to issues with separations of powers- I’m not comfortable with allowing an entire state to be controlled by one city. Not to mention there’s an explicit reason the founders were opposed to this.

All other territories have too small populations, among other issues.

Not to mention that these are being done for political reasons. If they voted differently, we all know most Atlasians would be completely opposed to this.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2021, 12:39:07 AM »

that’s a problem, because citizens of the same country need to be able to communicate.

By this standard, Alabama should not be part of this country.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2021, 12:40:06 AM »

that’s a problem, because citizens of the same country need to be able to communicate.

By this standard, Alabama should not be part of this country.

Based.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 12:42:38 AM »

No current US territories meet the requirements to become a state in my opinion.

PR is too different, a very small percentage of its population can actually speak English. If the average Puerto Rican can’t communicate with the average North Carolinian, then that’s a problem, because citizens of the same country need to be able to communicate. Additionally, Puerto Rico is corrupt, and I feel like they just want the feds to bail them out.

DC is too small territorially. That’s a problem because then it will be compromised of only a single city. That leads to issues with separations of powers- I’m not comfortable with allowing an entire state to be controlled by one city. Not to mention there’s an explicit reason the founders were opposed to this.

Not to mention that these are being done for political reasons. If they voted differently, we all know most Atlasians would be completely opposed to this.

"People I don't like should be disenfranchised because reasons"
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2021, 12:44:53 AM »

How is PR disenfranchised? They have their own government. They aren’t drafted. They don’t pay federal taxes.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2021, 12:48:21 AM »

How is PR disenfranchised? They have their own government. They aren’t drafted. They don’t pay federal taxes.

So I assume you are against the idea of the state of Rhode Island because it is basically one city and surrounding suburbs/exurbs?

I also assume you are against Wyoming because it doesn’t have enough people, yes?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2021, 12:52:57 AM »

So I assume you are against the idea of the state of Rhode Island because it is basically one city and surrounding suburbs/exurbs?

I also assume you are against Wyoming because it doesn’t have enough people, yes?

Wyoming has over half a million people, more than all other territories except PR and DC. Clearly, half a million is pushing the limit, since millions of people complain about its Senate advantage non-stop.

Rhode Island also has 39 divisions of Government. Much more than the “one” in DC.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2021, 12:55:25 AM »

Wyoming has over half a million people, more than all other territories except PR and DC. Clearly, half a million is pushing the limit, since millions of people complain about its Senate advantage non-stop.

Rhode Island also has 39 divisions of Government. Much more than the “one” in DC.
So...are you a yes or no on Wyoming?

As for divisions...would you be more willing to support DC statehood if we decided to convert the one city into 40 separate municipalities? The external borders wouldn’t change but we would make it even more viable than RI, right?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2021, 12:56:37 AM »

So...are you a yes or no on Wyoming?

As for divisions...would you be more willing to support DC statehood if we decided to convert the one city into 40 separate municipalities? The external borders wouldn’t change but we would make it even more viable than RI, right?

That would certainly make statehood more palatable for me, but if we’re being honest, that will never happen.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2021, 01:05:11 AM »

So, because you believe that they have X benefits without Y costs, that means they aren't disenfranchised? I'm pretty sure that our federal government is also their federal government; they are also citizens of this country. As a citizen, I'd be pretty pissed off not being able to have a say in what my federal government does just because a certain political party would be negatively impacted by my proposed state's ability to express our will and exert democratic influence on our shared federal government.

Instead of working hard to suppress and limit voters, maybe try appealing to them instead. Really radical idea, I know!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies