So Um I’m kinda worried about that Texas case
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 08:12:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  So Um I’m kinda worried about that Texas case
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Author Topic: So Um I’m kinda worried about that Texas case  (Read 15507 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: December 11, 2020, 06:59:27 PM »

I think it was fine to be worried. I worry about a lot of things that intellectually I know have no chance of happening. It's kind of just human nature.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2020, 07:01:10 PM »

If Alito and Thomas really did dissent, they are also seditious traitors. They should be impeached, and after Republicans presumably refuse to remove them, Biden has complete and total justification to add 4 more to the Supreme Court to cancel out their votes.

As a compromise, however, we can pass a law permanently setting the Court to 9 eventually, meaning the first 4 vacanies of this larger Court will not be filled. That way packing is off the table permanently.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #227 on: December 11, 2020, 07:02:06 PM »

MINE EYES HAVE SEEN THE GLORY OF THE CUCKING OF THE TRUMP
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2020, 07:02:41 PM »

Jeb! is calling malarkey:

Jeb! should have been the nominee in 2016.

I think HRC would have beaten him.

Exactly why it should have been him!

Not really :

Bush/Walker 284
Clinton/Kaine 254

Hillary was really vulnerable in 2016 regardless as CO/VA hadn’t become strongly democratic yet to provide for the fact that WI/MI/PA was reverting at the very least to pre Obama levels(Obama strength there has clearly been an outlier). Also The GOP had recovered from the wreckage the Taft years did to the Ohio GOP by 2014 as well.

I think Jeb would still lose MI/PA though but having Walker on the ticket gives him WI/IA and gives him the presidency

I suppose that is a fairly realistic looking map for a matchup like that. I might've even given Bush NH making it 288-250.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2020, 07:03:41 PM »

That we've heard absolutely nothing from SCOTUS on this is becoming very worrying. I feel like if they were going to soundly reject it they would've done so already.

If the Supreme Court even allows to hear this instead of outright dismissing it, the US is officially a Banana Republic.

We're well past that line, which was crossed when Trump whined about voter fraud and claimed he won the PV in 2016 and tried to get a hold of personal voter data.

Stop.

The good news is that this is the last gasp of the doomers and the Trumpers at the same time. Will all be over soon.

You need your head checked if my expressing concern and looking for news = dooming. People like you are why this place is becoming an echo chamber, GOD FORDID somebody stray from the designated line of thought people are required to express.

You expressed concern over something that had zero chance of happening (it was just rejected). There are legit things to be worried about, this isn’t one of them.

They did not soundly reject it as I correctly worried they wouldn't--7-2 still gives some legitimacy to this for the people supporting it.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #230 on: December 11, 2020, 07:04:56 PM »

If Alito and Thomas really did dissent, they are also seditious traitors. They should be impeached, and after Republicans presumably refuse to remove them, Biden has complete and total justification to add 4 more to the Supreme Court to cancel out their votes.

As a compromise, however, we can pass a law permanently setting the Court to 9 eventually, meaning the first 4 vacanies of this larger Court will not be filled. That way packing is off the table permanently.

From what I understand, they believe all cases between states must be heard regardless of the merits. So the dissent was just was on standing only.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #231 on: December 11, 2020, 07:06:04 PM »

Surprised ACB didnt turn out to be as right wing as Alito
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #232 on: December 11, 2020, 07:08:51 PM »

Obviously this move is silly and will get nowhere, still it’s incredible to see how hypocritical democrats can be, they have spent the past four years trying to delegitimatise the election of Trump, first by pushing this baseless conspiracy theory about Putin being responsible for the 2016 defeat of Clinton (maybe Queen Hillary could have been less arrogant and could have done a few visits in WI and MI) and then by impeaching Trump for a phone call, and I’m not even talking about liberals sending death threats* to Trump college electoral voters in order to pressure them to cast a ballot for the democratic ticket in December 2016.
And now democrats want conservatives to drop dead and to unite behind a Biden administration which will destroy everything conservatives hold dear ?  At a moment democrats must understand that playing with fire can be dangerous, like Churchill said : « They have sown the wind, they shall reap the whirlwind. »

* https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/11/30/politics/banerian-death-threats-cnntv/index.html

This is a completely absurd false equivalency.

Honestly I wish this place had more limited rights for foreigners, stay the f#ck out of our politics
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #233 on: December 11, 2020, 07:09:53 PM »

Actually it sounds like they issued more of a concur/dissent. They dissented on that Texas didn't have standing and said that shouldn't be a factor (because of "original jurisdiction") but still voted against hearing the case because it was so nonsensical there was no way it'd be upheld.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #234 on: December 11, 2020, 07:09:55 PM »

This is a really, really bad idea
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #235 on: December 11, 2020, 07:11:01 PM »

From what I understand, they believe all cases between states must be heard regardless of the merits. So the dissent was just was on standing only.

Well if they have a record of always doing that fine, but they should probably issue a statement reminding/telling everyone.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #236 on: December 11, 2020, 07:11:07 PM »

As others have said, Alito and Thomas dissented only on the matter of Texas having standing, which is not at all a surprise given their views on original jurisdiction.  Here is the entirety of the order, which you can find at https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/121120zr_p860.pdf:

The State of Texas’s motion for leave to file a bill of
complaint is denied for lack of standing under Article III of
the Constitution. Texas has not demonstrated a judicially
cognizable interest in the manner in which another State
conducts its elections. All other pending motions are dismissed
as moot.

Statement of Justice Alito, with whom Justice Thomas joins:
In my view, we do not have discretion to deny the filing of a
bill of complaint in a case that falls within our original
jurisdiction. See Arizona v. California, 589 U. S. ___
(Feb. 24, 2020) (Thomas, J., dissenting). I would therefore
grant the motion to file the bill of complaint but would not
grant other relief, and I express no view on any other issue.

Splash
United States

« Reply #237 on: December 11, 2020, 07:16:54 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2020, 07:17:47 PM »

Here's the Free Republic thread on the matter if anyone wants to feel both schadenfreude and fear of possible upcoming terrorism and violence:

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3914621/posts

From the comments:

How the heck is this even possible?!?! One thing for certain I will not be voting again, it’s just not worth it!
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2020, 07:18:08 PM »

Republican politicians aren’t actually afraid of Trump; they’re afraid of Trump supporters. Trump loyalists constitute at least half of the modern Republican Party membership and are a radicalized, extremist group out-of-touch with reality. They’re a Fascist mob who refuse to accept the results of an election wherein they don’t hold power. The more power over America slips from their hands, the more radicalized towards secession and domestic terrorism they become. It’s their way or the highway; and they’ll intimidate, punish, and terrorize even Republican officials who refuse to conform to their Fascist worldview.

In the eyes of these people, America belongs to them and them alone. They’ll tolerate liberals and minorities having enclaves within their country, but won’t tolerate anyone who isn’t a “true American” like them from exercising any authority over them. Republican officials know that Trump is a joke, but his followers are deadly serious and will likely threaten not only the careers, but the very lives of any who dare to challenge Trump and what he represents. For these people, challenging Trump is challenging “real America” and siding with the “pedophile globalists.” If you thought these people were insane and dangerous with Trump in office, just wait until he’s out of office and his sycophants in the media keep beating the lost cause drum, QAnon conspiracies of pedophilic murderous elites have stolen the election and the weaponized the government against Americans become even more widespread, and countless militias and lone individuals turn to domestic terrorism to exert pressure on public officials and intimidate their opposition into silence.
Why are they like this?

Why are they the way they are?

I hate...so much....about...the things....that they...choose to be.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #240 on: December 11, 2020, 07:19:10 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2020, 07:22:40 PM by Alben Barkley »

Not really :

Bush/Walker 284
Clinton/Kaine 254

Hillary was really vulnerable in 2016 regardless as CO/VA hadn’t become strongly democratic yet to provide for the fact that WI/MI/PA was reverting at the very least to pre Obama levels(Obama strength there has clearly been an outlier). Also The GOP had recovered from the wreckage the Taft years did to the Ohio GOP by 2014 as well.

I think Jeb would still lose MI/PA though but having Walker on the ticket gives him WI/IA and gives him the presidency

I suppose that is a fairly realistic looking map for a matchup like that. I might've even given Bush NH making it 288-250.

LOL no. Jeb! was a horrible candidate who would have been obliterated by HRC. More likely he loses OH and IA than wins CO, VA, NV, NH, WI, any of that. In a Clinton/Bush redux, the country at that time would have preferred Clinton. He was the best opponent for her by far. And no, he would not have had even a fraction as much appeal to the rust belt as Trump, so the midwest does not return to pre-Obama numbers. He probably ends up doing worse than Romney.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2020, 07:21:21 PM »

Biggest surprise to me is that NO Kentucky Republicans signed on. Not even Massie.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2020, 07:21:41 PM »

Remember when literal treason was an actual crime that came with punishment rather than something elected officials could nonchalantly commit under the guise of free speech?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2020, 07:22:06 PM »

Reminder that the Texas GOP chair is Allen West (not sure why that wasn't included in the tweet), yes that Allen West.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2020, 07:22:26 PM »

When you’ve lost Red Eagle....

South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2020, 07:25:01 PM »

Obviously this move is silly and will get nowhere, still it’s incredible to see how hypocritical democrats can be, they have spent the past four years trying to delegitimatise the election of Trump, first by pushing this baseless conspiracy theory about Putin being responsible for the 2016 defeat of Clinton (maybe Queen Hillary could have been less arrogant and could have done a few visits in WI and MI) and then by impeaching Trump for a phone call, and I’m not even talking about liberals sending death threats* to Trump college electoral voters in order to pressure them to cast a ballot for the democratic ticket in December 2016.
And now democrats want conservatives to drop dead and to unite behind a Biden administration which will destroy everything conservatives hold dear ?  At a moment democrats must understand that playing with fire can be dangerous, like Churchill said : « They have sown the wind, they shall reap the whirlwind. »

* https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/11/30/politics/banerian-death-threats-cnntv/index.html

Yeah because this is definitely the same as the concern expressed about Russian influence on the election that was expressed in 2016.

What a dumb post.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #246 on: December 11, 2020, 07:25:04 PM »

Those Justices need expanded security details on them right now.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #247 on: December 11, 2020, 07:25:33 PM »

Apparently there's a pro-Trump rally in DC tomorrow. Should be interesting to see 1) what the turnout looks like and 2) what the message they try to put out there is. I imagine there could be a lot of infighting on what the path forward is now.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »

Not really :

Bush/Walker 284
Clinton/Kaine 254

LOL no. Jeb! was a horrible candidate who would have been obliterated by HRC. More likely he loses OH and IA than wins CO, VA, NV, NH, WI, any of that. In a Clinton/Bush redux, the country at that time would have preferred Clinton. He was the best opponent for her by far. And no, he would not have had even a fraction as much appeal to the rust belt as Trump, so the midwest does not return to pre-Obama numbers. He probably ends up doing worse than Romney.

Then how did W Bush have the appeal and while yes W Bush is a better candidate than Jeb , Kerry was a better candidate than Hillary
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies