Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:24:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 340267 times)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3050 on: November 01, 2021, 09:14:46 AM »

It's clear, that Trump has seen the latest polls, thinks the win for Youngkin is fairly likely and wants to take credit for it! LMAO

roxas11
United States

« Reply #3051 on: November 01, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »

I do wonder what the impact will be if terry mcauliffe actually does go on to win. If pollsters turn out to be wrong on this I can see the polling industry taking an even bigger hit to their credibility than they did in 2016

pollsters better hope that Glenn Youngkin does win this race because otherwise they will have a lot of explaining to do....
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3052 on: November 01, 2021, 09:24:13 AM »

To be fair, most of the quality polls are showing a dead heat/tied race. Meanwhile, you've had many more GOP pollsters entering the race versus Dems, which could mean something.

But yeah, the Fox poll clearly screwing with the average as well.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3053 on: November 01, 2021, 09:24:29 AM »

I do wonder what the impact will be if terry mcauliffe actually does go on to win. If pollsters turn out to be wrong on this I can see the polling industry taking an even bigger hit to their credibility than they did in 2016

pollsters better hope that Glenn Youngkin does win this race because otherwise they will have a lot of explaining to do....

not really. If T-Mac wins by 1 or 2 I don't see how that would hurt pollsters on a level even close to the 2016 presidential election.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #3054 on: November 01, 2021, 09:24:50 AM »

Please understand that a McAuliffe +3 or so victory does not mean a Youngkin +1 poll is inaccurate.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #3055 on: November 01, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »

It doesn't. And until anyone can provide proof that these random anecdotes of "my kids teacher was telling my child that white people are terrible!" are ever true, I don't believe them. Because even if something was brought up, there's no way that a public school teacher would say something like that.

Even in a world where this did happen, how is this in any way shape or form having to do with McAuliffe? I have no doubt that this person was looking for everyone reason to vote GOP, and I don't buy that he was a "Hilary-Biden" voter.

“Who are you going to believe, parents? Your own lying eyes and ears or me, a partisan poster on an obscure message board?”

It doesn’t matter what you think. Many of us have experienced this firsthand. You’re not making us forget it.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3056 on: November 01, 2021, 09:32:37 AM »

not really. If T-Mac wins by 1 or 2 I don't see how that would hurt pollsters on a level even close to the 2016 presidential election.

Yep. People here should really go Statistics 110.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3057 on: November 01, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »

It doesn't. And until anyone can provide proof that these random anecdotes of "my kids teacher was telling my child that white people are terrible!" are ever true, I don't believe them. Because even if something was brought up, there's no way that a public school teacher would say something like that.

Even in a world where this did happen, how is this in any way shape or form having to do with McAuliffe? I have no doubt that this person was looking for everyone reason to vote GOP, and I don't buy that he was a "Hilary-Biden" voter.

“Who are you going to believe, parents? Your own lying eyes and ears or me, a partisan poster on an obscure message board?”

It doesn’t matter what you think. Many of us have experienced this firsthand. You’re not making us forget it.

You've experienced a public school teacher talking about white people in 2021 being modern day slaveholders? Sure jan.

GOP always needs a villain. Scary that in 2021 it has now become teachers.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #3058 on: November 01, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »

Clinton-Biden-Youngkin voters will exist. The question is to what extent do they exist? Are they just a small group or a sizable minority? If Youngkin can capture even 5-10% of Clinton-Biden voters, that's probably a good sign for him.
I think it's a fairly sizable group.  Government or government-adjacent workers that didn't like Trump's bombast and saw him as a potential threat to their jobs.  Perhaps many of them even voted for Trump in 2016 but switched to Biden in 2020.  Now, seeing what's happened under Biden they are looking for a moderate, business-friendly Republican.  Youngkin is no Bill Weld, but he comes off as a fairly reasonable person.  I don't think this is 15% of the population, but I could see it being enough to flip the election.  But who knows, I might be way off.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #3059 on: November 01, 2021, 09:56:01 AM »

Worst campaign ever
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3060 on: November 01, 2021, 10:03:35 AM »

Worst campaign ever

Hard disagree.  COVID has always been McAuliffe's strongest issue advantage vs. Youngkin.  Significant majorities support vax mandates for teachers and masking kids in schools.  Had COVID remained the top issue for voters, he would be winning by 5-10% using the Newsom CA-Recall strategy.  Fortunately, the outbreak in VA is in rapid decline now so voters have mostly moved on to other issues. 
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3061 on: November 01, 2021, 10:03:55 AM »

McAuliffe will go down as a perfect example of how to run a really terrible campaign.

Maybe? But it sure seems like "running a terrible campaign" coincides often with "running in an environment unfavorable to your party." Mainly because it looks like nothing you are doing is sticking or making a difference, but perhaps that's because it's beyond your control and you have to keep trying different things.

This isn't something I'm deciding new in 2021 - I first felt this way in 2014.

True. I'm not denying that Biden's unpopularity will have undoubtedly played some part in it if McAuliffe loses, but losing in a state won by your parties' presidential nominee by ten points a year ago takes at least a fairly sloppy campaign.

Plus, I think most can agree that the McAuliffe campaign HAS been pretty bad.

Biden’s approval in VA is negative in most polls. Terry’s campaign is alright - the problem is we have an unpopular President who isn’t course correcting at all.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3062 on: November 01, 2021, 10:04:48 AM »

This story is almost as believable as GMac’s “Progressive Group Chat”.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3063 on: November 01, 2021, 10:05:31 AM »

Worst campaign ever

Given who McAuliffe has been affiliated with, it doesn't surprise me that he's a dirty campaigner. But after Donald Trump, what can we say?
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3064 on: November 01, 2021, 10:08:43 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2021, 11:06:51 AM by roxas11 »

I can't say it its true or not and its definitely not my place to dismiss parents who claimed to have seen or experienced such things.

I can simply say that at least here in Louisiana I have never seen or heard of anything about CTR being taught in classrooms. It's something that I see talked about a lot online, but in real life I have seen not evidence of it at all. Also, I unfortunately have to sometimes help out my young nieces and nephews with their homework and at no point did I ever see anything that had to do with CRT, nor did ever bring up anything about the teacher telling them to hate white people

Believe me when I tell you that these kids LOVE to gossip about teachers and every little thing that happens in their class and if something like that was happening at their school they would literally force me to listen to every single detail even if did not want to hear about it lol
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #3065 on: November 01, 2021, 10:09:44 AM »

CRT as a fully formed Marxist theory does not exist. In fact, if schools actually properly taught Marx I have no doubt parents would have very different impressions. I taught history at an elite British boarding school(and I know Josh Hawley did nearby before me) and we both assigned Marx's 18th Brumaire of Louis Napoleon. No one had a problem with it because it is hilariously written and actually has some interesting things to say. And it roasts everyone.

The people complaining about discussions on slavery or actual pullitzer winning stuff are insane. But the ease with which a few usual suspects from the old evangelicals Ollie North home schooler days have made fools of themselves complete with a guest appearance by Dick Black has led Democrats to ignore a real issue;

What does exist is "woke corporate HR virtue signaling" which more or less involves the fact that showing you are part of the Acela elite requires showing familiarity with total garbage everyone knows is garbage. Much like everyone was forced to pretend in the 1990s that Rent was some sort of profound Shakespearian commentary on the human condition, now garbage from grifters like Kendi, Hannah-Jones etc is being pushed by people who if not for politics would never tough it because not only is it awful in terms of ideas but it is horribly written and argued.

The thing is anyone working in a corporate environment now is subjected to this garbage by HR. The idea the same garbage is being used to torture their kids is offensive and infuriating. And it is not political. Vast numbers of Democrats, in fact I would argue a large majority over 40 in the DC area, despise the HR garbage and mock it. So the idea they would like it bleeding into the schools is nonsense.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #3066 on: November 01, 2021, 10:10:13 AM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3067 on: November 01, 2021, 10:15:22 AM »

Worst campaign ever

He keeps repeating that lie about children with covid. Even the Daily Beast calls him out on it.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3068 on: November 01, 2021, 10:21:24 AM »

If you take out the Fox poll its a tie, basically. If McAuliffe wins by 1... they'd be accurate. If Youngkin wins by 1, they'd be accurate.

That'd be nowhere near the misses pollsters had in 2016, and much worse, in 2020. Why is it a pollster would be lacking 'credibility' when it's a Republican-skewed miss but it literally has to be 5 points or more in the Democrats direction for anybody to take notice after 2020 (while 2016 misses before 2020 were downplayed as a fluke to maximize the blue wave narrative).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3069 on: November 01, 2021, 10:23:20 AM »

Nothing from Monmouth or Q-pac's Twitter accounts today, maybe they'll surprise drop something. Both usually drop around 1-2pm EST
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3070 on: November 01, 2021, 10:35:27 AM »

Nothing from Monmouth or Q-pac's Twitter accounts today, maybe they'll surprise drop something. Both usually drop around 1-2pm EST
Youngkin+27
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3071 on: November 01, 2021, 10:43:04 AM »

Worst campaign ever

He keeps repeating that lie about children with covid. Even the Daily Beast calls him out on it.

What a sleazy dbag. He uses false statistics to justify first amendment violations.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3072 on: November 01, 2021, 10:45:09 AM »

Honestly this race makes me glad I’m on another continent now
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3073 on: November 01, 2021, 10:52:02 AM »

Honestly this race makes me glad I’m on another continent now

There were times in the days leading up to the 2020 election that I wished i was on another planet. Smiley
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3074 on: November 01, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »

Worst campaign ever

What a sleazy dbag. He uses false statistics to justify first amendment violations.

+ The idea that Youngkin would "do away" with masks/vaccines is just fearmongering nonsense. Things would stay largely the same. They just wouldn't be forced by the government like McAuliffe wants.

What's more cause for concern in my opinion is the general demonization/ostracization of the unvaccinated like they're 2nd class citizens by nearly all (D) politicians at this point (and some R's), and how many people aren't thoroughly disgusted by it. Vaccinated people can still spread and get this virus while being as protected as possible while unvaccinated people have taken a personal risk to not be protected (and that's not even mentioning natural immunity). Youngkin's been very reluctant on this issue too.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies