Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:21:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 262493 times)
compucomp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2200 on: January 04, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »

I...guess that's "better" than Kevin Cramer (R-ND) basically saying "I don't see the problem here."

Also better than Perdue:

Sen. David Perdue tore into Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger on Monday for recording a phone call with President Donald Trump over the weekend, calling it “disgusting” to do so.

“I guess I was raised differently,” Perdue, a Republican, said on Fox News. “To have a statewide elected official, regardless of party, tape without disclosing a conversation — private conversation — with the president of the United States, and then leaking it to the press is disgusting.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/04/perdue-hammers-ga-sec-state-recording-trump-call-454496
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2201 on: January 04, 2021, 11:23:20 AM »

I...guess that's "better" than Kevin Cramer (R-ND) basically saying "I don't see the problem here."

Also better than Perdue:

Sen. David Perdue tore into Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger on Monday for recording a phone call with President Donald Trump over the weekend, calling it “disgusting” to do so.

“I guess I was raised differently,” Perdue, a Republican, said on Fox News. “To have a statewide elected official, regardless of party, tape without disclosing a conversation — private conversation — with the president of the United States, and then leaking it to the press is disgusting.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/04/perdue-hammers-ga-sec-state-recording-trump-call-454496

Oh my god. Perdue actually went the route of getting mad at Raffensberger for TAPING IT rather than at Trump for what Trump said. You cannot make this sh*t up
Motorcity

« Reply #2202 on: January 04, 2021, 11:28:41 AM »

Can't wait til our new Senate Majority this week and Biden confirmation as Prez, we are on the verge of a Trifecta that we should of won in Nov

it would be the smallest working trifecta in american history.

for your own sanity, please temper your expectations about what you will accomplish.

barack obama had 60 (60!) dem senators in 2009 and 2010 and there was still drama and roadbumps.

you will not be passing divisive ideological big ticket items with a 5 person house majority and a 51-50 senate. you just won't.

you will get judges, infrastructure, and maybe certain tax increases.

in fact, the 5 vote majority in the house may be even more of an issue than joe manchin. Not hard at all to find 5 house dems who represent wealthy business districts who will oppose tax increases.  

a double digit number of republicans opposed the TCJA because it repealed SALT deductions.

why wouldn't at least a few house dems from wealthy districts be spooked about pissing off some constituents?
Your right, it would be a tight trifecta

But this isn't 2009

The stimulus in 2009 was like venom to GOP. This year the GOP led congress passed 4 stimulus bills, all larger than the one in 2009. With stuff like checks and welfare which would have been unthinkable ten years ago.

And I think every senate Democrat, even Manchin, is on record to support a public option unlike 2009.

I think tax increases are unlikely, Biden doesn't want to stall growth. But I expect budgets with lots of education, welfare, and infrastructure funding like what they should have done back in 2009.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2203 on: January 04, 2021, 11:43:31 AM »

Perdue makes clear that there is no daylight between him and Trump

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2204 on: January 04, 2021, 11:54:56 AM »

Perdue needs the R base (not just reliable high-propensity ones but those drawn to Trump who might have otherwise decided to sit this one out) to turn out in force, so I don’t see what’s supposed to be surprising here. He’s betting on high R turnout + that the kind of genuinely 'persuadable' Biden voter (an incredibly small group) he can actually still reach will be moved by concerns about a D trifecta. It’s a narrow path of course, but it’s the only one he has!

It’s really not that hard to understand.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2205 on: January 04, 2021, 12:15:28 PM »

Perdue needs the R base (not just reliable high-propensity ones but those drawn to Trump who might have otherwise decided to sit this one out) to turn out in force, so I don’t see what’s supposed to be surprising here. He’s betting on high R turnout + that the kind of genuinely 'persuadable' Biden voter (an incredibly small group) he can actually still reach will be moved by concerns about a D trifecta. It’s a narrow path of course, but it’s the only one he has!

It’s really not that hard to understand.

That is sadly true.

The Republican Party has become the cult of Trump.

Aside from a few exceptions, one has to be a Trump bootlicker to have any chance of winning as a Republican.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2206 on: January 04, 2021, 12:20:08 PM »

That is sadly true.

Aside from a few exceptions, one has to be a Trump bootlicker to have any chance of winning.

I agree that this kind of personality cult which ignores or completely distracts from the issues/voting records/policies of the candidates (something that is probably hurting Republicans a little in this race) is unfortunate and not healthy in any political system. You can tell Perdue’s only doing it to save his job, and I honestly feel a little sorry for him (although I know you guys don’t Tongue).
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #2207 on: January 04, 2021, 12:25:23 PM »

That is sadly true.

Aside from a few exceptions, one has to be a Trump bootlicker to have any chance of winning.

I agree that this kind of personality cult which ignores or completely distracts from the issues/voting records/policies of the candidates (something that is probably hurting Republicans a little in this race) is unfortunate and not healthy in any political system. You can tell Perdue’s only doing it to save his job, and I honestly feel a little sorry for him (although I know you guys don’t Tongue).

It kinda reminds me of when McSally said something like "I don't talk to fake news" when asked by CNN's Manu Raju about the impeachment proceedings.

It was like a middle-schooler trying to act tough in front of the cool kids. 
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2208 on: January 04, 2021, 12:35:19 PM »

That is sadly true.

I don't feel bad for him, but I can see the pain in his eyes when he has to backflip repeatedly to please Trump.
Cyrusman
« Reply #2209 on: January 04, 2021, 01:18:37 PM »

Can't wait til our new Senate Majority this week and Biden confirmation as Prez, we are on the verge of a Trifecta that we should of won in Nov

for your own sanity, please temper your expectations about what you will accomplish.

barack obama had 60 (60!) dem senators in 2009 and 2010 and there was still drama and roadbumps.

you will not be passing divisive ideological big ticket items with a 5 person house majority and a 51-50 senate. you just won't.

in fact, the 5 vote majority in the house may be even more of an issue than joe manchin. Not hard at all to find 5 house dems who represent wealthy business districts who will oppose tax increases.  

a double digit number of republicans opposed the TCJA because it repealed SALT deductions.

why wouldn't at least a few house dems from wealthy districts be spooked about pissing off some constituents?

But this isn't 2009

The stimulus in 2009 was like venom to GOP. This year the GOP led congress passed 4 stimulus bills, all larger than the one in 2009. With stuff like checks and welfare which would have been unthinkable ten years ago.

And I think every senate Democrat, even Manchin, is on record to support a public option unlike 2009.

I think tax increases are unlikely, Biden doesn't want to stall growth. But I expect budgets with lots of education, welfare, and infrastructure funding like what they should have done back in 2009.

Those items you mentioned are plausible, yes

I think what he meant was your not seeing crazy things like making DC, and Puerto Rico states as well as packing the court, or making sure changes to the immigration system. Items that are not moderate items by any means and would require getting rid of the filibuster
swf541

« Reply #2210 on: January 04, 2021, 01:25:06 PM »

But this isn't 2009

I think what he meant was your not seeing crazy things like making DC, and Puerto Rico states as well as packing the court, or making sure changes to the immigration system. Items that are not moderate items by any means and would require getting rid of the filibuster

How is Puerto Rican statehood a radical or "crazy" thing?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2211 on: January 04, 2021, 01:29:34 PM »

But this isn't 2009

How is Puerto Rican statehood a radical or "crazy" thing?

Probably because it doesn't fit the image of a state that some people think state shhould have (it's not Midwestern, it's heavily Hispanic, etc.)
forza nocta

« Reply #2212 on: January 04, 2021, 01:34:25 PM »

The funny thing is that statehood for Puerto Rico was in the 2016 GOP platform. Now it's "radical".

http://www.pr51st.com/republican-party-platform-statement-on-puerto-rico/
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2213 on: January 04, 2021, 01:48:44 PM »

IMO, these runoffs will be an interesting test of partisanship vs negative partisanship. Democrats are showing to vote FOR a Biden presidency whereas Republicans are showing up to vote against a Biden presidency.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2214 on: January 04, 2021, 01:52:16 PM »

The funny thing is that statehood for Puerto Rico was in the 2016 GOP platform. Now it's "radical".

http://www.pr51st.com/republican-party-platform-statement-on-puerto-rico/

Without going back to check, I believe it's been in their platform for the last several elections.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #2215 on: January 04, 2021, 02:02:14 PM »

IMO, these runoffs will be an interesting test of partisanship vs negative partisanship. Democrats are showing to vote FOR a Biden presidency whereas Republicans are showing up to vote against a Biden presidency.

You could argue that most Democrats are voting *against* Mitch McConnell at this point.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2216 on: January 04, 2021, 02:10:04 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2217 on: January 04, 2021, 02:17:51 PM »

Roblox

« Reply #2218 on: January 04, 2021, 02:20:19 PM »

That is sadly true.

It kinda reminds me of when McSally said something like "I don't talk to fake news" when asked by CNN's Manu Raju about the impeachment proceedings.

It was like a middle-schooler trying to act tough in front of the cool kids. 

Even the Kamala mispronunciation thing from Perdue sounded like a 14 year old trying to be bad.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2219 on: January 04, 2021, 02:33:55 PM »

Sigh, what a relief, everything will be at a conclusion this week, as D's try for the Trifecta
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2220 on: January 04, 2021, 02:35:40 PM »

You could argue that most Democrats are voting *against* Mitch McConnell at this point.

True, but in general, it seems like Warnock and Ossoff are the ones running a campaign for something rather than against something. Honestly, McConnell hasn't been talked about as much as I expected in these races.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2221 on: January 04, 2021, 02:38:47 PM »

Glad it's Mitis Touch who ran the ad instead of some firm with an obviously D name. Democrats were smart to save these attacks till the very last second since Loeffler and Perdue now have very little time to refute them. Ultimately, I doubt that a bunch of Trump voters staying home will happen but a few here and a few there can make all the difference in a close race.

With that being sad, it's kind of sad how nasty these campaigns have gotten but what goes around comes around I guess.
Motorcity

« Reply #2222 on: January 04, 2021, 03:03:24 PM »

Why on Earth would he tweet this? Did he get confuse with another ad
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2223 on: January 04, 2021, 03:10:19 PM »

Why on Earth would he tweet this? Did he get confuse with another ad

He didn't. The group who made this ad bought time on Newsmax so they could make sure it reaches hardcore Trump supporters.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2224 on: January 04, 2021, 03:11:59 PM »

https://theyappie.com/exclusive-how-georgia-democrats-are-countering-misinformation-on-aapi-messaging-apps/

In recent weeks, experts and community activists have hailed AAPIs as a possible deciding electorate in the high-stakes runoffs, where Democratic challengers Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff will face off against Republican incumbent Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, respectively. Tuesday’s runoffs are especially consequential because results will determine control of the Senate.

The goal of the new campaign, said AAPI Coalition Director Linh Nguyen, is to hypertarget outreach and ensure voters have a plan for participating in the election. It also empowers voters to ask questions so inaccurate information is debunked as quickly as possible.

Though AAPIs make up almost 5% of the state population, their numbers have grown by almost 140% since 2000, according to the AAPI Victory Fund. AAPI political engagement is also higher than ever, with voter participation in Georgia nearly doubling from 2016 to 2020 in the general election.

In November, at least 30,000 Asian Americans in Georgia voted for the first time, nearly three times President-elect Joe Biden’s 11,000-vote margin of victory, according to The Guardian. AAPI voters made up 2.5% of the total vote, said AAPI Media Director Jen D. Rafanan, and Georgia Democrats anticipate an even higher percentage in the runoffs.

But misinformation and disinformation are notably rampant among the AAPI community, often exacerbated by the insular nature of ethnic media. Because a majority of AAPIs are immigrants, they often feel more comfortable using a messaging app in their native language and are less likely to verify information with English-language sources, but that can make them more susceptible to circulating unfounded statements. In one case, an image on WeChat drew attention for its attempt to frighten Chinese Americans into staying home on Election Day, falsely warning that the National Guard would mobilize to quell riots.

To address these types of misinformation, messaging in language has been key for Georgia Democrats. 80% of Asian Americans in Georgia speak a language other than English at home, and of the 80%, more than 43% speak English less than “very well.”

Volunteers use a guide when connecting with voters and are encouraged to continue messaging voters through Jan. 5. The “unspoken sense of trust between members of the same community” strengthens the campaign, Nguyen said.

Most questions have involved the voting process—because people understand how critical this election is, Nguyen added. But the direct messaging campaign could serve as a playbook further down the line.

“The stuff we’re laying down now is designed to continue beyond [the runoffs],” Nguyen said. “Congressional campaigns have tested WhatsApp, but we haven’t seen it scaled statewide or nationally.”

The potential, she added, is limitless.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies