Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:23:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 265402 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2175 on: January 04, 2021, 05:08:32 AM »
« edited: January 04, 2021, 05:15:23 AM by SCNCmod »

I'm sorry, but does Loeffler's campaign outfits irritate anyone else?

They are extremely tacky and they make her clearly come off as a rich person trying to be rural or working class.

I'm sure it was unintentional, but harping on a female candidate's clothes is just a touch too close to thinly veiled sexism than we should be comfortable with.

Also, damn both of you for making me defend that demented quarterwit.

I disagree here.  I think she would have been subject to more criticism had she been a man dressing up in the farmer getup.  She is essentially wearing a costume- so I in no way think this is criticizing how a woman is dressing in a sexist way. Even the word "tacky" I take to mean the idea of the outfit (almost Billionaire trying to pull off a look she thinks evokes the image of more common person in the rural south- or whatever) is in bad taste, rather than they look tacky.  But either way, I actually don't even see this as a close call.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #2176 on: January 04, 2021, 05:25:10 AM »

I’ll play along with the fantasy that Dems win...,

What about PR statehood ?

(DC too... but that’ll be struck down as unconstitutional)

Why?

Presumably some fear-mongering about how the 5 conservatives will never allow the Democrats to pass anything ever again.

Quoting from an article on the matter:
The Founding Fathers wrote it into the Constitution. Article I, Section 8 provides explicitly for a national capital that would not be part of a state nor treated as a state, but rather a unique enclave under the exclusive authority of Congress — a neutral “district” in which representatives of all the states could meet on an equal footing to conduct the nation’s business.
Also DC was once part of Maryland and technically Marylanders could still reclaim it (like Virginia did in the 1840s), it could be a significant argument against statehood.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #2177 on: January 04, 2021, 05:44:07 AM »

Can't wait til our new Senate Majority this week and Biden confirmation as Prez, we are on the verge of a Trifecta that we should of won in Nov

it would be the smallest working trifecta in american history.

for your own sanity, please temper your expectations about what you will accomplish.

barack obama had 60 (60!) dem senators in 2009 and 2010 and there was still drama and roadbumps.

you will not be passing divisive ideological big ticket items with a 5 person house majority and a 51-50 senate. you just won't.

you will get judges, infrastructure, and maybe certain tax increases.

in fact, the 5 vote majority in the house may be even more of an issue than joe manchin. Not hard at all to find 5 house dems who represent wealthy business districts who will oppose tax increases.  

a double digit number of republicans opposed the TCJA because it repealed SALT deductions.

why wouldn't at least a few house dems from wealthy districts be spooked about pissing off some constituents?

I don't think that Manchin is going to torpedo any major democratic legislation, especially considering that he is unlikely to run again, but yeah, the Biden's tax plan is probably DOA in the House, hiking back the highest income tax rate to pre 2017 levels would likely pass, but increasing the corporate tax by one third, creating a tax on financial transactions, a massive estate tax increase (the estate tax is the most unpopular tax of all), and a 100% increase of the capital gains tax rates are probably too hard to stomach for people like Schrader, Malinowski, Gottheimer, Scherill, Casten, Underwood, Fletcher and likely a few other ones
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2178 on: January 04, 2021, 06:29:46 AM »

A lot of our problems would be solved if we could magically teleport McConnell to Iran.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2179 on: January 04, 2021, 06:31:03 AM »

On another note, are you doing polling work in Georgia?  If so, any hints you can drop for us? Smiley

We are doing tracking until election day, and this has been among the most stable races I've ever polled.

Any other hints you can throw us? Wink
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2180 on: January 04, 2021, 06:32:27 AM »

I'm becoming more optimistic about these runoffs. The evidence says that Republicans should win at least one of these. However, it seems the campaign period post November has gone great for Democrats and badly for Republicans, the narrative seems really favorable for Ossoff and Warnock. Early voting is a good sign, we keep getting told not to read too much into it but it doesn't seem consistent with a result where Republicans do as well as or better than November (unless swing voters break Republican). However, I still have trouble seeing David Perdue losing. Despite the memes, which have gotten way out of hand and are pretty dumb now, I do think some Republican-leaning suburbanites dislike Trump more than down-ballot Republicans. Loeffler may have alienated that demographic now, and maybe Trump even dragged Perdue down by attempting to overturn the result, However, most likely there are enough of them who find Perdue sufficiently inoffensive for him to win. Loeffler seems really weak, so maybe she'll lose. It's also possible though that she is a slightly better fit for Georgia than Trump and so barely wins.

IDK, Perdue could definitely still win obviously, but this race has proven him to not just be a terrible candidate and terrible generic R, but he also hasn't proven himself to be any better than Loeffler IMO. He couldn't even show up to the debate (at least Loeffler did), he's been absent from the campaign trail for a while now, and at least among the moderate/college+ crowd, him standing with Trump doesn't seem like a good idea considering he needs those moderates to vote for him even if they voted for Biden in Nov.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2181 on: January 04, 2021, 06:43:42 AM »

Sorry for the 3rd post, but does anyone know if we're getting an exit poll on Tuesday?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2182 on: January 04, 2021, 06:45:14 AM »

I'm becoming more optimistic about these runoffs. The evidence says that Republicans should win at least one of these.

Numbers would have to be at around 50.01% to see a ticket split.

Pretty likely one party wins both.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2183 on: January 04, 2021, 07:44:24 AM »

Sorry for the 3rd post, but does anyone know if we're getting an exit poll on Tuesday?

The NBC results page would suggest so:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-elections/georgia-senate-runoff-results
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2184 on: January 04, 2021, 07:52:08 AM »

Oh nice. Excited for that one.

Sorry if this was asked before, but what is the order in which votes are counted again? I forget what the trajectory was in Nov (besides Biden increasing towards the end)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2185 on: January 04, 2021, 07:55:12 AM »

Sorry if this was asked before, but what is the order in which votes are counted again? I forget what the trajectory was in Nov (besides Biden increasing towards the end)

Generally in person to early to absentee, and more urban counties tend to take a lot longer to count; the perfect formula for a pretty extreme Republican counting bias.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2186 on: January 04, 2021, 07:56:05 AM »

Generally in person to early to absentee, and more urban counties tend to take a lot longer to count; the perfect formula for a pretty extreme Republican counting bias.

ah okay, so the initial totals will likely be at least somewhat GOP. though i guess we can always compare to how the first results were back in Nov too to see how it's going
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2187 on: January 04, 2021, 08:09:05 AM »

ah okay, so the initial totals will likely be at least somewhat GOP. though i guess we can always compare to how the first results were back in Nov too to see how it's going

Actually, in Nov, the first few % were very heavily Biden but that's just kind of random based on which counties start first.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2188 on: January 04, 2021, 08:15:19 AM »

I’ll play along with the fantasy that Dems win...,

What about PR statehood ?

(DC too... but that’ll be struck down as unconstitutional)

Why?

Presumably some fear-mongering about how the 5 conservatives will never allow the Democrats to pass anything ever again.

Quoting from an article on the matter:
The Founding Fathers wrote it into the Constitution. Article I, Section 8 provides explicitly for a national capital that would not be part of a state nor treated as a state, but rather a unique enclave under the exclusive authority of Congress — a neutral “district” in which representatives of all the states could meet on an equal footing to conduct the nation’s business.
Also DC was once part of Maryland and technically Marylanders could still reclaim it (like Virginia did in the 1840s), it could be a significant argument against statehood.

Except Maryland DOES NOT want to reaclaim it's portion of DC at all. I've been to the DC area quite a bit and DC doesn't want to join Maryland and vice-versa.
SCNCmod

« Reply #2189 on: January 04, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2021, 08:19:30 AM by SCNCmod »

On another note, are you doing polling work in Georgia?  If so, any hints you can drop for us? Smiley

We are doing tracking until election day, and this has been among the most stable races I've ever polled.

What is the implied meaning behind "this has been among the most stable races" ... Who does this statement favor?  Most all other polling would indicate this race has had a lead change or two along the way (or at least a few changes in momentum).
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #2190 on: January 04, 2021, 09:16:57 AM »

On another note, are you doing polling work in Georgia?  If so, any hints you can drop for us? Smiley

What is the implied meaning behind "this has been among the most stable races" ... Who does this statement favor?  Most all other polling would indicate this race has had a lead change or two along the way (or at least a few changes in momentum).

Stable in the sense that we haven't seen any candidate pull into a lead outside the margin of error (though the candidate with a nominal lead has changed a few times) nor have we seen any candidate gain/lose measurable support with any demographic group or in any regional area.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2191 on: January 04, 2021, 09:20:54 AM »

Stable in the sense that we haven't seen any candidate pull into a lead outside the margin of error (though the candidate with a nominal lead has changed a few times) nor have we seen any candidate gain/lose measurable support with any demographic group or in any regional area.

Have you seen what the JMC poll saw? As in, a smaller amount of election day voters than one would think?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2192 on: January 04, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »

Any Monday update so far (postal ballots) ?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2193 on: January 04, 2021, 09:59:32 AM »

About 10K more mail in ballots counted, VBM+IPEV total drops to +24.8 white, while VBM accepted drops to +21.5 white.

VBM + IN PERSON EARLY
Nov GE: 4.03M (56.5% white, 27.7% black) ---> +28.8 white
1/1: 3.00M (55.8% white, 30.8% black) —-> +25.0 white
1/3: 3.03M (55.75% white, 30.8% black) —> +24.95 white
1/4: 3.04M (55.7% white, 30.9% black) —> +24.8 white

VBM requests (final)
Nov GE: 1.78M (51.2% white, 31.4% black) ---> +19.8 white
1/1: 1.373M (51.4% white, 32.9% black) —> +18.5 white
1/3: 1.374M (51.4% white, 32.9% black) —> +18.5 white

VBM accepted
Nov GE: 1.32M (53.0% white, 30.3% black) ---> +22.7 white
1/1: 928K (54.0% white, 31.9% black) —> +22.1 white
1/3: 958K (53.8% white, 32.0% black) —> +21.8 white
1/4: 967K (53.6% white, 32.1% black) —> +21.5 white

IN PERSON EARLY votes (final)
Nov GE: 2.69M (58.2% white, 26.4% black) ---> +31.8 white
1/1: 2.07M (56.7% white, 30.3% black) —> +26.4 white
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2194 on: January 04, 2021, 10:03:08 AM »

Small update:

Democrats estimated advantage up to +7.5 or a 228k vote lead. To make that up on e-day, if votes broke as they did in the GE, they would need a turnout of about 1.1 million.

Here's a county map, note I did increase the log scale on the gradient:

As I always say, these numbers are estimates based on available data and historical precedent. If I had to guess, 228k is on the lower end of possible Dem leads considering the data and how my methodology works, but that's the number my model outputs
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2195 on: January 04, 2021, 10:50:00 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #2196 on: January 04, 2021, 10:51:22 AM »

I...guess that's "better" than Kevin Cramer (R-ND) basically saying "I don't see the problem here."
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2197 on: January 04, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »

Looks like Perdue is officially still in quarantine, so doesn't appear he'll have any events today.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2198 on: January 04, 2021, 11:18:13 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2199 on: January 04, 2021, 11:22:21 AM »

Trump won this county 70-29

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to: