Arizona megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:20:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arizona megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 52
Author Topic: Arizona megathread  (Read 69590 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2022, 10:44:52 PM »

Newesome striking shots into AZ now, too:

I don't know if he really helps here.
He isn't, especially as his point here is basically just another "HA HA THIS SOCIAL CONSERVATIVE IS BEING A HYPOCRITE!" type "burn". Especially since this is just a slightly lewd comment and not something of any actual consequence.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #226 on: August 20, 2022, 08:33:46 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2022, 08:51:06 AM »

The other usual suspects in Arizona (Mark Finchem and Wendy Rogers) have also endorsed him.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #228 on: August 20, 2022, 12:34:23 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #229 on: August 20, 2022, 07:13:58 PM »

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #230 on: August 20, 2022, 08:31:00 PM »

"If they're accuarte"? She really talks like she's living in an alternative reality.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #231 on: August 20, 2022, 08:34:08 PM »

Let's check in on the Lake campaign to see what attacks they're going with this cycle:

Gaslighting? Kari Lake is an atlas poster confirmed!
AZdude
Rookie
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2022, 11:37:44 AM »

Katie Hobbs is apparently trying to duck the debate.  I don't think that's a very good idea.  I understand that she's probably leery of the fact that Kari Lake is charismatic and extremely comfortable in front of a camera, but she's still espousing loony BS and with any sort of prep Hobbs should be able to expose her.

Running from the debate would send a really bad sign to the electorate and give Lake a huge line of attack.  Hobbs got away with doing it in the primary because she was a prohibitive favorite, but I don't think that will work here.  The debate will have a huge audience, and Hobbs absolutely needs to take the opportunity to try and inject some sanity.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2022, 11:45:45 AM »

Katie Hobbs is apparently trying to duck the debate.  I don't think that's a very good idea.  I understand that she's probably leery of the fact that Kari Lake is charismatic and extremely comfortable in front of a camera, but she's still espousing loony BS and with any sort of prep Hobbs should be able to expose her.

Running from the debate would send a really bad sign to the electorate and give Lake a huge line of attack.  Hobbs got away with doing it in the primary because she was a prohibitive favorite, but I don't think that will work here.  The debate will have a huge audience, and Hobbs absolutely needs to take the opportunity to try and inject some sanity.

I think it's always a bad idea for candidates to duck debates, although those who are prohibitive favorites (which Hobbs certainly isn't) can probably get away with it.  As you say, it sends a bad message to the voters.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2022, 11:46:27 AM »

OK, I was wondering why so many Arizona politicians were endorsing in an Oklahoma legislature race.  All becomes clear now:

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2022, 11:59:50 AM »

Where is the evidence that she's trying to do this though? I'd be extremely surprised if she - or any GE candidate anywhere in the country - thought that would be a good idea.
AZdude
Rookie
« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2022, 12:37:04 PM »

Where is the evidence that she's trying to do this though? I'd be extremely surprised if she - or any GE candidate anywhere in the country - thought that would be a good idea.

Here's one link: https://www.azfamily.com/2022/08/19/why-there-may-not-be-an-arizona-gubernatorial-debate-this-year/

It's not set in stone, she's kind of going with that mealy-mouthed "I want to debate but not if she's going to make a circus out of it..."  That won't fly with the voters.  The general-election debates in Arizona have been on the public access channel for as long as I can remember, and they've always been pretty standard.  The primary was sort of a cluster, but it was a group thing.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2022, 03:17:20 PM »

Here's one link: https://www.azfamily.com/2022/08/19/why-there-may-not-be-an-arizona-gubernatorial-debate-this-year/

It's not set in stone, she's kind of going with that mealy-mouthed "I want to debate but not if she's going to make a circus out of it..."  That won't fly with the voters.  The general-election debates in Arizona have been on the public access channel for as long as I can remember, and they've always been pretty standard.  The primary was sort of a cluster, but it was a group thing.

I mean, that's not really saying she won't debate. She's just saying that she doesn't want Lake to pull any stunts, and that's understandable, just look at PA-GOV where Mastriano is currently pulling stunts with their debate.
AZdude
Rookie
« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2022, 03:41:57 PM »

I mean, that's not really saying she won't debate. She's just saying that she doesn't want Lake to pull any stunts, and that's understandable, just look at PA-GOV where Mastriano is currently pulling stunts with their debate.

Yes, but as the piece mentioned, she already skipped the debate in the primary, so she's done it before.  And I just gave one example story, it's being talked about all over AZ politics.
But as you said, it would be an incredibly bad idea, so hopefully she gets talked out of it.  Maybe she'll be able to play with the rules to muzzle Qari/KKKari/whatever you want to call her.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #239 on: August 21, 2022, 04:11:16 PM »

See, this is the same playbook that Oz, Mastriano, etc. are all employing. They try and get out their "first" with nonsensical debate requirements before debates have even been solidified, and either request too many (Oz wants 5) or ridiculous specifics (Mastriano and Shapiro both picking a moderator each)... stuff like this is can't even be taken seriously. It's literally just to cause waves, and so when Hobbs or whoever doesn't respond to Lake's whacko video in 24 hours, they act like their opponent is scared to debate or something. It's the same old lame play

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #240 on: August 21, 2022, 05:08:28 PM »

See, this is the same playbook that Oz, Mastriano, etc. are all employing. They try and get out their "first" with nonsensical debate requirements before debates have even been solidified, and either request too many (Oz wants 5) or ridiculous specifics (Mastriano and Shapiro both picking a moderator each)... stuff like this is can't even be taken seriously. It's literally just to cause waves, and so when Hobbs or whoever doesn't respond to Lake's whacko video in 24 hours, they act like their opponent is scared to debate or something. It's the same old lame play

Lowkey for some reason this brought back the days of the ice bucket challenge where celebrities would challenge other celebrities to participate.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2022, 05:55:23 PM »

"If they're accuarte"? She really talks like she's living in an alternative reality.

She is. Like most Republicans are.

I do think this backpedaling will work for her though, even as it's more of a cop-out than anything. She's definitely handling this dilemma better than Mastriano handled his antisemitism accusations. It's why I'm more concerned about her winning than Mastriano. She seems to have some self-awareness and better instincts.

Let's check in on the Lake campaign to see what attacks they're going with this cycle:

Gaslighting? Kari Lake is an atlas poster confirmed!

She does remind me a little of fhtagn.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2022, 11:09:08 PM »

Republicans have a stunning lack of empathy.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2022, 11:59:35 PM »

The homeless issue is getting out of control. It used to just be in Phoenix/Tempe, now you can start seeing homeless people near the overpass exit ramps of suburbs and even upscale ones. People moved into these places to get away from this type of stuff and now it is slowly creeping back. She's offering some help, but no we aren't going to be like California and allow homeless drug addicts to keep injecting themselves at the taxpayers expense (Luckily Newsom vetoed).
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2022, 12:13:32 AM »

The homeless issue is getting out of control. It used to just be in Phoenix/Tempe, now you can start seeing homeless people near the overpass exit ramps of suburbs and even upscale ones. People moved into these places to get away from this type of stuff and now it is slowly creeping back. She's offering some help, but no we aren't going to be like California and allow homeless drug addicts to keep injecting themselves at the taxpayers expense (Luckily Newsom vetoed).

She's implying all homelessness is a choice. She also doesn't specify any concrete actions (what is 'treatment'? Getting a job?) besides jail under Comrade Joe Arpaio.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #245 on: August 26, 2022, 01:01:45 AM »

As someone who lives in NYC, I've had experience with tons of homeless people on the streets, on the subway, and loitering in stores for as long as they can get away with.

Most homeless folks fall into 3 categories:

1. This is the bigger category but folks who are not mentally competent where they can't get a job or even get the help they need even if they want it. Many of these people are visibly very out of touch with reality and often which deterioates them further as a person. These people need help but in most cases you can't just expect them to get it on their own. There are def many who may be able to become functioning members of society with proper help

2. People who are competent but have some debilitating life issue. This group is smaller but it def does exist and a lot of these people have some sort of disability, usually that manifests in the physical way, that makes it impossible for them to work or function. Unlike group 1, these folks are aware of their situation and often due try to get help but are unable to *because* they are competent. We are failing this group as a society

3. People who are at a bad place in their life at the current moment but will be able to get back on track. Maybe they just got fired from their minimum wage job so don't have income for a month and don't really have savings to work with. You can often tell these folks cause they are generally a bit cleaner and have reasonable clothing and stuff compared to the other 2 groups. This more leads to a discussion about the stability of lower- and middle-class folks but I think this is most often the category that is dependent directly on life choices.

And ofc you have a lot of crossover between groups, especially groups 1 and 2.

Homelessness is a problem but Lake clearly has no clue how to deal with it.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #246 on: August 26, 2022, 01:04:43 AM »

*blinks* what
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #247 on: August 26, 2022, 09:45:28 AM »

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #248 on: August 26, 2022, 10:08:23 AM »

Unrelated but how is a 31-year old going to run a state's DOJ? 25 is virtually the youngest you can be out of law school alone and even that is assuming you went directly from undergrad and are young for your grade level.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2022, 10:09:25 AM »

Bold choice. There are signs all over the valley from Hamadeh that say ENDORSED BY TRUMP in big white letters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies