2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:36:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 586 587 588 [589] 590 591 592 593 594 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 617597 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14700 on: November 06, 2020, 05:39:43 PM »

I'm actually feeling much better about Georgia than Arizona now. Hope latter holds, but I think it's 50/50 chance now.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14701 on: November 06, 2020, 05:39:50 PM »

Kind of crazy how Trump did better with non-white voters than any Republican nominee since 1960 and still lost!

Shocking, really.  Trump of all people.  Very probably the most racist president in modern times.

People have talked about this and beaten it to death and hurled plenty of insults at those who explain why and give reasons that are not always 100% positive or don't seem rational (without actually refuting any points made), and the fact that this happens explains exactly why this is so hard for people to grasp. Many people just don't understand other communities or cultures, and have to see that understanding other communities and cultures is knowing the good and the bad, and understanding that seemingly irrational behavior to one person is completely normal to another. There are people I know from Mexico and Taiwan who say that there are some things they just don't understand about America/Americans because they make absolutely no sense, and when I reflect on these things, I definitely think they have a point.

In the end, people of color supporting someone as racist as Trump in larger numbers than before makes about as much sense as rural working class white voters supporting someone as far removed from the working class in rural areas as Trump. It seems irrational, and you can definitely argue that it is to an extent (or criticize the logic behind the decision), but it does pay to understand why people see things differently.

Please, educate us. NOT sarcastic here.

Well, I did make a bit in another thread about what I discussed with my wife (who is Latina), and some posters predictably didn't respond well, but to summarize it in the least controversial way I can, many Latinos, but not all, are actually quite conservative on many issues. Also, Trump's rhetoric on immigration, while obviously something many Latinos will despise, is not universally despised, since some think he accurately describes some immigrants, and some would rather not associate themselves strongly with the Latino community, since they want to be seen as assimilated Americans. Many also didn't think positively of the BLM protests, nor the "defund the police" slogan, and the idea of stability and security is very important to many Latino immigrants, particularly those coming from regions which were not especially safe.

There are other reasons that I don't think are as unique to Latinos, such as a focus on the economy and frustration about lockdowns, which also played a factor. Of course, something that many people misunderstood about my post is that I was trying to address why Trump might have done better among Latinos. A good number who also voted for him in 2016 are likely rank-and-file Republican voters who identify with the party anyway, and it's not as though they came out specifically for Trump.

I'm no expert on the black community, so I would defer to someone else on that, and I can't speak for most Asians, but Taiwanese Americans were likely happy to see Trump's rhetoric on China, as well as how he recognized Taiwan on many occasions and even congratulated the Taiwanese President when she got re-elected. Of course, Trump doesn't care at all about Taiwan and just does it to give a middle finger to China, but that might not matter to Taiwanese Americans, since that doesn't undo his actions, and many do (understandably) have a very negative opinion of Mainland China.

Anyway, I understand that this should probably move to another thread, but I wanted to address it.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #14702 on: November 06, 2020, 05:40:03 PM »

Jim Acosta on CNN saying things are "chaos" at the White House, with Giuliani and Trump's family "enabling" him, while other advisers see the writing on the wall.
How about CNN stops enabling and calls the race already
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #14703 on: November 06, 2020, 05:40:13 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2020, 05:45:00 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Texas & a Blue Georgia »

Atlas: "Thank God slow-counting California won't be deciding this election."

Arizona/Georgia/Nevada/Pennsylvania: "Hold our beers..."
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #14704 on: November 06, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »

Worth noting that AZ's most recent ballot drop had Trump running about 0.5% ahead of where he needs to be (58.4% vs. 57.9%) -- according to alex.github.io.  

this is not the most recent is the average, if Trump stay in the actual average win Arizona
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14705 on: November 06, 2020, 05:40:56 PM »

So will there be a weekend off?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14706 on: November 06, 2020, 05:42:16 PM »

They like Trump. They want/wanted four more years. That's all there is to it.

You're missing the hatefulness/racism/transphobia/xenophobia/white supremacy/moral bankruptcy part.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. By "they" I mean the networks.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14707 on: November 06, 2020, 05:42:27 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2020, 07:24:19 PM by Crumpets »

My dad(and his friends) and sister are convinced that the vote in Miami and the Rio Grande are rigged/fake.

If you consider how overtly racist Trump's first campaign was, and how much this year's campaign was focused around the pandemic and the economy - not really great ground for him to turn up the racist rhetoric - it's actually not too surprising to me that Trump did better in those areas. I am surprised by the *scale* of the movement, but not the direction.

Yeah, I also think it's totally reasonable that these areas swung, and in some cases swung hard. I will just say, not trying to allege anything, that the "100% of new voters went to Trump" factoid definitely raised my eyebrows when I first saw it, and I also don't think it's unreasonable for maybe some local Democrats to look into those numbers just to double-check. If everything is legit, we'll know where we need to start winning people back.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14708 on: November 06, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »

Senator Casey was just talking to Norah O'Donnell and trying to explain that the provisional ballots aren't counted in the current estimate of outstanding votes, which is why he expects Biden to win by close to 100,000 and she repeatedly challenged him and implied that it would be impossible. He explained Biden will likely lead by 40-50k without provisional ballots and it would expand once those were counted and again he was met with incredulity.

They're sticking with the horse race narrative. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the networks refuse to call any of these states tonight.

These people are evil.

And Jeff Glor-who was uncontroversial and serious in his demeanor-got pushed out by CBS News for the much more sensationalist and less substantive Norah O'Donnell-all for the sake of ratings. The CBS of Walter Cronkite's day and the NBC of the days of Chet Huntley and David Brinkley, or the ABC of Peter Jennings and the NBC of John Chancellor and Tom Brokaw, would have called this election for Biden already.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #14709 on: November 06, 2020, 05:42:35 PM »

DDHQ is the undisputed gold standard of calling states. Just wish their outstanding votes reports were more accurate.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14710 on: November 06, 2020, 05:43:02 PM »

They like Trump. They want/wanted four more years. That's all there is to it.

You're missing the hatefulness/racism/transphobia/xenophobia/white supremacy/moral bankruptcy part.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. By "they" I mean the networks.

They're just as horrible, lol
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #14711 on: November 06, 2020, 05:43:59 PM »

Allegheny will not drop new results until at least 6:30 pm EST - 3200 votes that were damaged + 3800 military/overseas voters. 
Somebody put it best last night... I think it was Nathan?

(paraphrasing)
"All right, I'm out of here for now. I've had enough of what is essentially c0ck and ball torture without the c0ck and balls."

That is a quote for the ages.
Roblox

« Reply #14712 on: November 06, 2020, 05:44:33 PM »

Pennsylvania really is the England of America. Not sure how much sense that makes but I just wanted to post it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14713 on: November 06, 2020, 05:44:38 PM »

Allegheny will not drop new results until at least 6:30 pm EST - 3200 votes that were damaged + 3800 military/overseas voters. 
Somebody put it best last night... I think it was Nathan?

(paraphrasing)
"All right, I'm out of here for now. I've had enough of what is essentially c0ck and ball torture without the c0ck and balls."

That is a quote for the ages.

Thank you, thank you. I do what I can.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14714 on: November 06, 2020, 05:46:32 PM »

MSNBC now talking about doomer, Trump physical-removal scenarios, lmao.

This totally is normal and healthy for a nation.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14715 on: November 06, 2020, 05:46:53 PM »

Pennsylvania at least is counting into tomorrow, thank God.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #14716 on: November 06, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2020, 05:52:14 PM by Fmr. Gov. NickG »

What about all their regular VBM ballots?  Don’t they have >30,000 of those?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #14717 on: November 06, 2020, 05:48:43 PM »

So they'll release another batch of very few votes that won't move the direction of the race at all, and then say they'll announce more votes the day after...going into the day after that, and so on.  It's really getting annoying.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #14718 on: November 06, 2020, 05:48:57 PM »

Maybe Biden should wait until tomorrow to give his prime time speech. It might have more oomph if Biden is the official President-elect instead of the presumed President-elect.
gf20202
« Reply #14719 on: November 06, 2020, 05:49:17 PM »

What about all their regular VBM ballots?  Don’t they have >30,000 of those?
They won't even start counting them until they finish with these damaged ballots.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #14720 on: November 06, 2020, 05:49:31 PM »

Current order of final release

Pee tape
Penn.
Trump's official tax returns
Networks call race
Black Friday
Nevada
Splash
United States

« Reply #14721 on: November 06, 2020, 05:49:41 PM »

What about all their regular VBM ballots?  Don’t they have >30,000 of those?

Yes. And they haven't even started tabulating those. This is so ridiculous.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14722 on: November 06, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »

So they'll release another batch of very few votes that won't move the direction of the race at all, and then say they'll announce more votes the day after...going into the day after that, and so on.  It's really getting annoying.

The direction of the race moved decisively at breakfasttime this morning. The networks just refused to admit it.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14723 on: November 06, 2020, 05:49:55 PM »

Anybody else wonder if some of the media outlets are pressuring the states to release little at a time so they can have their story longer? I wouldn't put anything past these greedy traitors at this point.
Splash
United States

« Reply #14724 on: November 06, 2020, 05:51:07 PM »

I think we're supposed to get another dump from Clark County in an hour or so, right?
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 586 587 588 [589] 590 591 592 593 594 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies