2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:42:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 276 277 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 618502 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6775 on: November 04, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »

This... isn't true? There's a ton incoming from Maricopa and Pima and Biden is up nearly 100K.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6776 on: November 04, 2020, 01:43:32 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2020, 01:52:35 PM by Crumpets »

When was the last time there was Democratic President, Republican Senate and Democratic House?

Grover Cleveland's first term.

Seems R senate/D house is a rare combination.

Which is striking, since the whole purpose of the Senate/House divide was that the Senate would generally represent the interests of the gentry and the House was the "people's house," and that would seem to line up with a Republican Senate and a Democratic House throughout most of the party systems since 1856.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #6777 on: November 04, 2020, 01:43:33 PM »

Why is nobody talking about Arizona?

Theres not much to talk about. There are anywhere between 400,000 to 500,000 votes. Most of the in person vote was counted so the remainder is early vote. A large chunk of that early vote is "late early vote", or ballots dropped off on election day. We don't know how those ballots will go. Arizona will update its results at 9pm eastern.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #6778 on: November 04, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »

Because for some reason the topic has derailed into a discussion on the senate.

Take the senate talk to the appropriate forum!

X2, mods pls
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6779 on: November 04, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »

So in pretty much all of the remaining states besides Alaska, the last votes to be counted are from big cities?
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6780 on: November 04, 2020, 01:43:54 PM »

It's been called by FOX News and AP. I don't see it trending toward Trump. So it should be called for Biden in a few hours. I suspect Nevada is Biden's also, but by a very slim margin.

Surprised Wisconsin has not been called as well.

Nevada is my big concern right now. Biden is leading but it is still in the toss-up category and Trump is running ahead of what people thought.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #6781 on: November 04, 2020, 01:44:00 PM »

Can someone explain to me wtf happened in Minnesota? Looks like Biden trounced Trump yet the GOP held the state senate. Why are Americans like this
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6782 on: November 04, 2020, 01:44:20 PM »

Whitfield County, the most Latino county in all of GA, goes from 70-25 Trump in 2016 to 69-29 Trump in 2020. Par for course for what Biden needs to win GA.

Trump did net 1k votes from there btw.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #6783 on: November 04, 2020, 01:45:16 PM »

It's been called by FOX News and AP. I don't see it trending toward Trump. So it should be called for Biden in a few hours. I suspect Nevada is Biden's also, but by a very slim margin.

Surprised Wisconsin has not been called as well.

Nevada is my big concern right now. Biden is leading but it is still in the toss-up category and Trump is running ahead of what people thought.

Jon Ralston thinks theres alot of mail in ballots from Clark county left to count. They should be strong for Biden. Knowing that, i'm not too concerned about Nevada.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6784 on: November 04, 2020, 01:45:41 PM »

Can someone explain to me wtf happened in Minnesota? Looks like Biden trounced Trump yet the GOP held the state senate. Why are Americans like this

It's like people really fell for the "check" system or something. Especially with the House races.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6785 on: November 04, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »

Theres not much to talk about. There are anywhere between 400,000 to 500,000 votes. Most of the in person vote was counted so the remainder is early vote. A large chunk of that early vote is "late early vote", or ballots dropped off on election day. We don't know how those ballots will go. Arizona will update its results at 9pm eastern.

Assuming there's 450K votes left, Trump would need to win 60% or more.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #6786 on: November 04, 2020, 01:45:59 PM »

I am starting to get nervous. There's another 400-500k votes out there, 350k of which is in Pima and Maricopa. They're largely late mail ballots and mail ballots dropped off on Election Day (all other ED vote is counted).

The mystery is do they break like ED vote (which was 2-1 Trump) or a little closer to the early vote (where Biden had a high single/low double digit lead in the initial EV dump). If it's ED vote, it will be NERVE-WRACKING, and Trump could do it. If it's somewhere in the middle, it's better for Biden.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #6787 on: November 04, 2020, 01:46:08 PM »

I'm actually glad to hear Collins wins. We need more moderate members in the Senate from both parties.

Dude she voted like 95% with Trump. She's as much a moderate as I am. F*** her and f*** the Democrats for blowing the election this hard.
stop conflating moderation and partisanship.

Ah yes, so she only voted with Trump on his moderately far-right policies? And only voted for his moderately rapey judicial nominees?

Look bud, it's not my fault that you can't understand why moderate Republicans can still behave as rapid partisans on at least some occasions, especially in this era of unusually high levels of tribalism.

Oh so she can still be a "moderate Republican" even if she behaves like a senile old hack who's never met a lobbyist she didn't love. Okay, got it. Thanks and congratulations on the overwhelming fruition of your "NeverBernie" strategy, the Democratic Party is now in an amazing spot.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6788 on: November 04, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »

My short and quick take on the ballot splitting is that, time and time again, American voters have shown they generally prefer divided government. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of "Biden's gonna win, might as well keep him in check" voters out there. We saw that clearly in 2016 when Orange County had lots of ticket splitting ahead of an anticipated Clinton win, only for Republicans to get blown out there in 2018.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #6789 on: November 04, 2020, 01:46:23 PM »

Where the rest of Dougherty county at?
politics_king
United States

« Reply #6790 on: November 04, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »

This... isn't true? There's a ton incoming from Maricopa and Pima and Biden is up nearly 100K.

They're going to spread misinformation, the new Trump strategy is to take this to the courts. The GOP is going to try to figure out the messaging by barely losing the Presidency even though it'll be a little over 3 million in the popular vote like 2016.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6791 on: November 04, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »

Whitfield County, the most Latino county in all of GA, goes from 70-25 Trump in 2016 to 69-29 Trump in 2020. Par for course for what Biden needs to win GA.

Trump did net 1k votes from there btw.
That's true. Trump isn't in shabby shape there. I suppose both candidates have things they look to as good from the county's result, but Biden moreso than Trump.
The3rdParty
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.67, S: -4.25

« Reply #6792 on: November 04, 2020, 01:48:22 PM »

Legal marijuana party and grassroots party plants that somehow got 5-7 percent of the vote
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #6793 on: November 04, 2020, 01:48:25 PM »

I believe a lot of people got scared prior to the election about a potential Biden blowout and began split ticketing down-ballot.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #6794 on: November 04, 2020, 01:48:46 PM »

I'm actually glad to hear Collins wins. We need more moderate members in the Senate from both parties.

Dude she voted like 95% with Trump. She's as much a moderate as I am. F*** her and f*** the Democrats for blowing the election this hard.
stop conflating moderation and partisanship.

Ah yes, so she only voted with Trump on his moderately far-right policies? And only voted for his moderately rapey judicial nominees?

Look bud, it's not my fault that you can't understand why moderate Republicans can still behave as rapid partisans on at least some occasions, especially in this era of unusually high levels of tribalism.

Oh so she can still be a "moderate Republican" even if she behaves like a senile old hack who's never met a lobbyist she didn't love. Okay, got it. Thanks and congratulations on the overwhelming fruition of your "NeverBernie" strategy, the Democratic Party is now in an amazing spot.

Go argue somewhere else
politics_king
United States

« Reply #6795 on: November 04, 2020, 01:49:48 PM »

If you Google "Election Results". AZ has been called for Biden.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6796 on: November 04, 2020, 01:49:57 PM »

I was but got mocked “It’s over. Period” I was told
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #6797 on: November 04, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »

I didn't stay up for the Milwaukee dump. What was the margin?

Was it as glorious as 2018?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #6798 on: November 04, 2020, 01:50:46 PM »

Fox News maintains in an article a few minutes ago that Biden won Arizona. It's an article about McCain's Revenge, lol, but if they believed Trump could win there then I think they would've told us by now.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6799 on: November 04, 2020, 01:50:53 PM »

It's like people really fell for the "check" system or something. Especially with the House races.

Yes, there are a lot of people who still suffer from the delusion that the legislature can check the executive. But what divided government means in reality, at least as long as Mitch McConnell is around and partisan polarization is as strong as it is, to the point where the GOP is willing to sacrifice the country's well-being purely for partisan gain, is that simply nothing of any significance whatsoever can happen and the government will be unable to function.

I don't think that is really what people want - a dysfunctional government - but the problem is a lot of people are stupid (or more accurately and more charitably, uninformed and uninterested in politics).
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 276 277 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies