COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:46:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 304 305 306 [307] 308 309 310 311 312 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 534934 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7650 on: November 26, 2021, 03:08:51 PM »

Skipping Nu is understandable, but after that is Xi. Obviously, the WHO is completely stuck in Winnie's ass.

Clearly the development of a new variant is nothing Nu.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7651 on: November 26, 2021, 03:14:22 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7652 on: November 26, 2021, 03:18:11 PM »

Skipping Nu is understandable, but after that is Xi. Obviously, the WHO is completely stuck in Winnie's ass.

Clearly the development of a new variant is nothing Nu.
Is this the start of something Nu? Only history can tell us.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #7653 on: November 26, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »

Oh good another scariant is dominating the news cycle. At this point if you're concerned about COVID-19 bringing about the "end of civilization" or whatever, you might as well just go hide in a bunker for the impending zombie apocalypse too while you're at it.
Hollywood
« Reply #7654 on: November 26, 2021, 03:47:14 PM »

Last night I said Joe Biden should institute an international travel ban, and Ds got very upset at me.  I don't know why they would become upset about a policy that is absolutely necessary to slow the spread of a virus.  That's just commonsense.  I guess it's cause Trump supported the travel bans last year, so they thought it was racist or something.

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #7655 on: November 26, 2021, 03:49:05 PM »

Whatever
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #7656 on: November 26, 2021, 03:50:01 PM »

Good I’m glad he did
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7657 on: November 26, 2021, 03:54:53 PM »

Hurray. Now we're going to get more unhinged screaming in this thread.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7658 on: November 26, 2021, 04:00:41 PM »

Hurray. Now we're going to get more unhinged screaming in this thread.

What do you mean? Against the Biden Administration? Or about the response to the pandemic?
roxas11
United States

« Reply #7659 on: November 26, 2021, 04:42:59 PM »

Last night I said Joe Biden should institute an international travel ban, and Ds got very upset at me.  I don't know why they would become upset about a policy that is absolutely necessary to slow the spread of a virus.  That's just commonsense.  I guess it's cause Trump supported the travel bans last year, so they thought it was racist or something.

A travel ban alone is not enough

It may buy us some time, but ultimately what we really need is for Our public health agencies to get off their butts and start quickly approving booster shots and the covid pills

I think we also need a stronger consensus among every state when it comes to how we are fighting this virus because what we are currently doing is not working and this state-by-state patchwork Covid-19 response is failing all of us

I think Lincoln said at best "A house divided against itself cannot stand." and there is little chance we will ever beat covid if we are not even united on how to fight the virus in the first place
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7660 on: November 26, 2021, 04:44:24 PM »

Unhinged screaming.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7661 on: November 26, 2021, 04:52:34 PM »

America needs to approve the pills without further delay. Didn't Britain (or some other country) already approve it?

The FDA approves every cancer-causing psychotropic right away, but they won't approve this?
Hollywood
« Reply #7662 on: November 26, 2021, 05:07:14 PM »

Last night I said Joe Biden should institute an international travel ban, and Ds got very upset at me.  I don't know why they would become upset about a policy that is absolutely necessary to slow the spread of a virus.  That's just commonsense.  I guess it's cause Trump supported the travel bans last year, so they thought it was racist or something.

It may buy us some time, but ultimately what we really need is for Our public health agencies to get off their butts and start quickly approving booster shots and the covid pills

I think we also need a stronger consensus among every state when it comes to how we are fighting this virus because what we are currently doing is not working and this state-by-state patchwork Covid-19 response is failing all of us

I think Lincoln said at best "A house divided against itself cannot stand." and there is little chance we will ever beat covid if we are not even united on how to fight the virus in the first place

A travel ban provides you with more time.  If the travel ban had gone in place sooner in 2020, the country could have had more time to prepare for it before the massive outbreaks in NY.  The disaster in NY was not just a symptom of Nursing Home policy. 

Boosters, antibodies, and pills are needed.  I said that last night. 

I think people were hoping Biden would be a much more moderate individual when he came to office with a +17 approval rating (53-36%).  He did a bad job playing the cards he was dealt.  Like we all want unity, but whose version of it?  lol. 

Houses are divided all the time, and still manage to function.  Not all disagreements rise to the level of barbarism. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7663 on: November 26, 2021, 05:19:30 PM »

So basically it's August again, but this time aimed at the North.  I am moderately concerned, but as long as the 2 new pills still work, we only need to buy a month or two so they can be widely distributed.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #7664 on: November 26, 2021, 05:24:02 PM »

This may or may not be true, but as of right now I still think every county should not take any chances and wait for more data before agreeing with South Africa's health minister

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7665 on: November 26, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »

So basically it's August again, but this time aimed at the North.  I am moderately concerned, but as long as the 2 new pills still work, we only need to buy a month or two so they can be widely distributed.

Let’s talk about what we’re going to do instead of what’s going to happen to us. Take this post as an example.
Hollywood
« Reply #7666 on: November 26, 2021, 05:33:31 PM »

This may or may not be true, but as of right now I still think every county should not take any chances and wait for more data before agreeing with South Africa's health minister

I've seen data from Portugal (86%) and Gibraltar (100% vaccinated) suggesting the vaccinated represent most of the hospitalizations, which is why countries were panicking yesterday.  However, the death rate is better than when people were not vaccinated.  

Also, we have no idea whether the people dying are immunocompromised. 
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #7667 on: November 26, 2021, 05:37:18 PM »

I've seen data from Portugal (86%) and Gibraltar (100% vaccinated) suggesting the vaccinated represent most of the hospitalizations, which is why countries were panicking yesterday.  However, the death rate is better than when people were not vaccinated.  

I don't really see how that data is useful. Of course countries with such high vaxx rates are going to have mostly vaccinated hospitalizations. What percentage of total cases end up in the hospital? That's the most important question.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7668 on: November 26, 2021, 05:43:35 PM »

Another thing. All the concern is based on its transmissibility, but how deadly the new variant isn't really being talked about. If it follows historical patterns and lose their lethality as they become more transmissible, then it's a sign the pandemic is on its last legs.
Hollywood
« Reply #7669 on: November 26, 2021, 05:50:05 PM »

I don't really see how that data is useful. Of course countries with such high vaxx rates are going to have mostly vaccinated hospitalizations. What percentage of total cases end up in the hospital? That's the most important question.

Let's me at it from your POV.  If you had numbers suggesting that immunompromised were more likely to die from the infection than a Covid-19 jab, Democrats could make argument that those people should also be jabbed.  You don't know how information can be used until you've analyzed and tossed around some theories.  I've written for a Law Journal.  You don't just write about something that's already been written without adding anything else.  That's what separates the average academics from the extraordinary ones.  Right now there's a Bar Journal sitting on my end table with a cover indicating that the articles are about Covid-19 legal policies and changes.  Covid-19 policies are not only created by medical professionals. 

I agree with you on hospitalization statistics.  I want all the numbers.  Everything. 
Hollywood
« Reply #7670 on: November 26, 2021, 05:55:55 PM »

Another thing. All the concern is based on its transmissibility, but how deadly the new variant isn't really being talked about. If it follows historical patterns and lose their lethality as they become more transmissible, then it's a sign the pandemic is on its last legs.

I think lethality is most important.  I can't comment on the other thing you said cause I'm not competent on that particular sub-issue. 

There are examples of viruses becoming more deadly and transmissable, so I don't find it helpful for scientists to base their opinions on that assumption. 
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7671 on: November 26, 2021, 05:57:15 PM »

I think lethality is most important.  I can't comment on the other thing you said cause I'm not competent on that particular sub-issue. 

There are examples of viruses becoming more deadly and transmissable, so I don't find it helpful for scientists to base their opinions on that assumption. 

I don't know of any examples of that ever happening, so I'd take that as the exception rather than the rule.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #7672 on: November 26, 2021, 06:01:34 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2021, 06:27:43 PM by roxas11 »

A travel ban provides you with more time.  If the travel ban had gone in place sooner in 2020, the country could have had more time to prepare for it before the massive outbreaks in NY.  The disaster in NY was not just a symptom of Nursing Home policy.  

Boosters, antibodies, and pills are needed.  I said that last night.  

I think people were hoping Biden would be a much more moderate individual when he came to office with a +17 approval rating (53-36%).  He did a bad job playing the cards he was dealt. Like we all want unity, but whose version of it?  lol.  

Houses are divided all the time, and still manage to function.  Not all disagreements rise to the level of barbarism.  

With this line I think you just summed up the biggest problem with our current politics

Everybody claims they want unity, but as you said whose version of Unity is it?

Also, even when there has been unity, it's never as easy or satisfying as TV shows like the West Wing makes it look. Honestly, I get the sense that the Americans people are more in love with the concept of unity than they are with the reality of it. Just look a recent bipartisan infrastructure bill that just passed, That is the first time I ever saw Mitch McConnell actually vote for a Major bill by a democrat president

But when you look at the process it was long and not everybody got what they wanted in the end. Americans said they were not happy with how the process played out, but that is what real unity looks like. Its mostly an unsatisfying process, where both sides give up something they want in order come to a consensus on a bill

Unity is not the great hollywood fairy tale ending that the american people seem to think it is
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7673 on: November 26, 2021, 06:09:42 PM »

I don't know of any examples of that ever happening, so I'd take that as the exception rather than the rule.

Delta is an example.

The death rate is too low for there to be significant selection pressure against a more deadly variant. It can go either way.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7674 on: November 26, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »

Delta is an example.

The death rate is too low for there to be significant selection pressure against a more deadly variant. It can go either way.

I don't understand what you mean by that.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 304 305 306 [307] 308 309 310 311 312 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies