COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:05:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 [306] 307 308 309 310 311 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535199 times)
compucomp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7625 on: November 26, 2021, 12:58:36 PM »

The variant now has a name, the Omicron variant.

The Technical Advisory Group on SARS-CoV-2 Virus Evolution (TAG-VE) is an independent group of experts that periodically monitors and evaluates the evolution of SARS-CoV-2 and assesses if specific mutations and combinations of mutations alter the behaviour of the virus. The TAG-VE was convened on 26 November 2021 to assess the SARS-CoV-2 variant: B.1.1.529.

The B.1.1.529 variant was first reported to WHO from South Africa on 24 November 2021. The epidemiological situation in South Africa has been characterized by three distinct peaks in reported cases, the latest of which was predominantly the Delta variant. In recent weeks, infections have increased steeply, coinciding with the detection of B.1.1.529 variant. The first known confirmed B.1.1.529 infection was from a specimen collected on 9 November 2021.

This variant has a large number of mutations, some of which are concerning. Preliminary evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection with this variant, as compared to other VOCs. The number of cases of this variant appears to be increasing in almost all provinces in South Africa. Current SARS-CoV-2 PCR diagnostics continue to detect this variant. Several labs have indicated that for one widely used PCR test, one of the three target genes is not detected (called S gene dropout or S gene target failure) and this test can therefore be used as marker for this variant, pending sequencing confirmation. Using this approach, this variant has been detected at faster rates than previous surges in infection, suggesting that this variant may have a growth advantage.

There are a number of studies underway and the TAG-VE will continue to evaluate this variant. WHO will communicate new findings with Member States and to the public as needed.

Based on the evidence presented indicative of a detrimental change in COVID-19 epidemiology, the TAG-VE has advised WHO that this variant should be designated as a VOC, and the WHO has designated B.1.1.529 as a VOC, named Omicron.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7626 on: November 26, 2021, 01:01:14 PM »

Look at the positive side - masks can become a fashion statement. Buy some masks that match your aesthetics. If we’re going to be stuck with them for months/years, might as well look good.

I can't look at the positive side. I have never gotten used to the sight of masks, and I never will.

Nor will I. They are not zero cost, they limit social interaction, they make life much harder for people with glasses, and they serve as a constant visual reminder of the pandemic.

I have no plans to start wearing one again.
compucomp

« Reply #7627 on: November 26, 2021, 01:05:59 PM »

Look at the positive side - masks can become a fashion statement. Buy some masks that match your aesthetics. If we’re going to be stuck with them for months/years, might as well look good.

I can't look at the positive side. I have never gotten used to the sight of masks, and I never will.

Nor will I. They are not zero cost, they limit social interaction, they make life much harder for people with glasses, and they serve as a constant visual reminder of the pandemic.

1. A mask only limits social interaction if you let it.
2. You can fix the fogging issue by using the trick with soap film, and it's still unlikely we will need outdoor mask mandates where this would be a problem.
3. Omicron doesn't care about your feelings, it will come for you all the same.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7628 on: November 26, 2021, 01:07:42 PM »

2. You can fix the fogging issue by using the trick with soap film, and it's still unlikely we will need outdoor mask mandates where this would be a problem.

I'm a 31 year old skinny guy in good health. If it "comes for me" I probably won't even be symptomatic. Don't care.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7629 on: November 26, 2021, 01:12:11 PM »

What if this just keeps mutating more and more until civilization as we know it ends?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7630 on: November 26, 2021, 01:18:14 PM »

I'm sure the teachers unions are happy. Now they can stay home again and continue to ignore an entire generation.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #7631 on: November 26, 2021, 01:28:11 PM »

this is never going to end and there is no hope.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7632 on: November 26, 2021, 01:44:34 PM »

What if this just keeps mutating more and more until civilization as we know it ends?

Lockdowns are far more likely to end civilization than the virus is.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7633 on: November 26, 2021, 01:47:15 PM »

Omicron is the Greek letter corresponding to O in case anyone wonders where they got it from.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7634 on: November 26, 2021, 01:49:11 PM »

Then the climate recovers a few hundred years sooner I guess, but honestly that's unlikely that it will evolve into something that kills everyone.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7635 on: November 26, 2021, 01:53:16 PM »

If the new variant is even more contagious than Delta and more vaccine resistant, why not impose mask mandates again?

Because they didn't work the first billion times.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7636 on: November 26, 2021, 01:56:33 PM »

Well, it's a better name than the Nu variant, which just sounds like "new variant."

At this point I just expect us to keep having new variants every six months or so.  They'll kill a lot of Republicans, as well as ignorant morons who think they're too cool to follow simple instructions or are "fed up" with doing the small handful of tiny things required to protect themselves and those around them.  The Horuses of America will eventually get killed by one variant or another.  Meanwhile I'm just hanging out over here with my booster shot and comfortable $3 masks.  Just had a really nice Thanksgiving dinner yesterday at a steakhouse.  Thinking about going to see the new James Bond this evening.  My life is completely back to normal.  All you people who think we're still in lockdown, and refuse to get the vaccine or wear your masks in protest, will be dead soon.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7637 on: November 26, 2021, 02:03:38 PM »

Our healthcare systems are going to have to become a lot more agile. If my understanding is right, the vaccines that are currently being administered are still vaccines based on the original variant that was first identified almost two years ago. That seems like a pretty woeful response when we think about how much the world has been through in the last two years. What is stopping these pharmaceutical companies from using mRNA technology to clone the spike protein of the new predominant variant instead? What is stopping governments from encouraging and then approving these hypothetical vaccines? We need to get Omicron spike RNA into arms as soon as possible... this whole Omicron situation doesn't need to be a problem.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #7638 on: November 26, 2021, 02:09:09 PM »

Good Bye Brandon presidency
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #7639 on: November 26, 2021, 02:09:23 PM »

“The restrictions will apply to travelers from South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique, and Malawi. They do not apply to American citizens and lawful permanent residents, the official said.“

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #7640 on: November 26, 2021, 02:15:52 PM »

Racist travel ban against Black countries that are punished for their excellent research into dangerous virus mutants. Imagine the reaction if Trump had done this.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7641 on: November 26, 2021, 02:23:24 PM »

People are freaking out too much. This variant hasn't been shown to be any deadlier. The vaccine and antibody development is happening at a very quick rate and more therapeutics are coming online weekly. People need to take a deep breath and chill. Do what you can, get your initial vaccine because even with the multitude of variants being vaccinated has shown to give you clear statistical protection from severe sickness and death vs. being unvaccinated.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7642 on: November 26, 2021, 02:26:54 PM »

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #7643 on: November 26, 2021, 02:29:13 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7644 on: November 26, 2021, 02:34:39 PM »

Our healthcare systems are going to have to become a lot more agile. If my understanding is right, the vaccines that are currently being administered are still vaccines based on the original variant that was first identified almost two years ago.

For J&J that's definitely true, as it's a traditional vaccine. But the mRNA vaccines used new technology to future proof, to some extent, against new variants. That's why they've been so effective. But yes they would be more effective against the variants if completely redone.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7645 on: November 26, 2021, 02:37:24 PM »

I'm a 31 year old skinny guy in good health. If it "comes for me" I probably won't even be symptomatic. Don't care.

I was a 25 year old skinny guy in good health when I came down with COVID-19 like symptoms last March and had to stay home from work for 2 weeks. Thankfully I'm fully vaxxed now and have gotten my booster shot, but yeah. Getting sick ain't fun.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7646 on: November 26, 2021, 02:38:17 PM »

That letter already dispels some of the FUD about HIV related mutation. Also doesn't say what vaccine the 4 patients had against Covid.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7647 on: November 26, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »

Our healthcare systems are going to have to become a lot more agile. If my understanding is right, the vaccines that are currently being administered are still vaccines based on the original variant that was first identified almost two years ago.

For J&J that's definitely true, as it's a traditional vaccine. But the mRNA vaccines used new technology to future proof, to some extent, against new variants. That's why they've been so effective. But yes they would be more effective against the variants if completely redone.

BioNtech, Pfitzer's German partner firm that developed their vaccine, is currently examining the new variant and whether the vaccine needs an "update" to regain efficiency. If so, that will take about six weeks and first doses could be delivered within 100 days.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7648 on: November 26, 2021, 02:48:54 PM »

Well, it's a better name than the Nu variant, which just sounds like "new variant."

At this point I just expect us to keep having new variants every six months or so.  They'll kill a lot of Republicans, as well as ignorant morons who think they're too cool to follow simple instructions or are "fed up" with doing the small handful of tiny things required to protect themselves and those around them.  The Horuses of America will eventually get killed by one variant or another.  Meanwhile I'm just hanging out over here with my booster shot and comfortable $3 masks.  Just had a really nice Thanksgiving dinner yesterday at a steakhouse.  Thinking about going to see the new James Bond this evening.  My life is completely back to normal.  All you people who think we're still in lockdown, and refuse to get the vaccine or wear your masks in protest, will be dead soon.

I said I was in no rush to get boosters, not that I wouldn't. And I'm not gonna die from not wearing a mask, but keep wishcasting.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7649 on: November 26, 2021, 02:57:01 PM »

Skipping Nu is understandable, but after that is Xi. Obviously, the WHO is completely stuck in Winnie's ass.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 [306] 307 308 309 310 311 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies