NYT/Sienna: AZ - Biden+8
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:24:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  NYT/Sienna: AZ - Biden+8
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: NYT/Sienna: AZ - Biden+8  (Read 3402 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2020, 01:02:50 PM »

Could Biden actually win this thing?
Horus the doomer has been broken. I am the only holdout...

I'm still predicting a tied EC.

LOLOLOL

You realize the odds of a tied EC are ridiculously slim right? Less than 1% chance. Predicting a tied EC is NOT an improvement over your previous predictions of outright Trump wins; it’s actually significantly dumber!

It’s painfully obvious at this point that you are desperately trying to avoid predicting the obvious (Biden wins) at all costs, no matter how much you have to debase and embarrass yourself to do it. Just sad now. However, you continue to rapidly pivot farther away from your initial predictions of a Trump landslide, so you’re still on pace to meet my own prediction that by Election Day, you’ll be claiming you knew Biden would win all along.

I think this is a reasonable map.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2020, 01:04:21 PM »

LOLOLOL

You realize the odds of a tied EC are ridiculously slim right? Less than 1% chance. Predicting a tied EC is NOT an improvement over your previous predictions of outright Trump wins; it’s actually significantly dumber!

It’s painfully obvious at this point that you are desperately trying to avoid predicting the obvious (Biden wins) at all costs, no matter how much you have to debase and embarrass yourself to do it. Just sad now. However, you continue to rapidly pivot farther away from your initial predictions of a Trump landslide, so you’re still on pace to meet my own prediction that by Election Day, you’ll be claiming you knew Biden would win all along.

If Biden is winning MI and PA, he's definitely also winning Wisconsin.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2020, 01:07:49 PM »

LOLOLOL

It's not unreasonable, but the odds of that exact map appearing are minuscule. Chances are, at least one state will deviate from that.
tagimaucia

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2020, 01:14:11 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2020, 01:17:38 PM by tagimaucia »

Just a reminder that NYT/Siena had North Carolina clinton+8 in late October 2016, Trump won it by 3-4 points.

Well, the last NC Siena Hillary/Trump poll was a tie (with heavy undecideds in Trump leaning demographic groups), so its interesting that you would choose to bring up the... second to last one.

The other last-minute state poll I remember them doing was Florida, in which they showed Trump doing actually a couple points better than he ended up.  So, two misses by 2-3 points, but in opposite directions. No pollster is perfect, but the way people here try to grasp at straws to discredit even the better ones is really something.

Also, Siena was basically the best pollster in 2018, along with Emerson (I don't trust post-2018 MTurk-era Emerson, which uses a completely different methodology though).  Siena wasn't perfect in the midterms but they were very good and didn't really have any overall partisan bias.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »

Crosstabs: https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/az100120-crosstabs/a77605c32cd8f31e/full.pdf

In a sign of a brewing suburban backlash against the president, Mr. Biden’s lead in Maricopa County, the Phoenix-anchored population hub of the state, matches his statewide advantage. He’s leading by nine points in the county, which accounts for over 60 percent of the state’s population.
OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!

Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »

Trump got the ‘Rona. Biden got the ‘Zona.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2020, 02:02:25 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2020, 04:00:24 PM »

LOLOLOL

Other than the fact Biden has been leading in Wisconsin and Arizona by substantial margins for months....

Sure, totes reasonable
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »

Interestingly there isn't much of an education gap for Arizona whites.

Trump leads college-educated AZ whites 46-45% and noncollege educated whites only 51 to 40%. Given Arizona's right wing reputation at least among whites, I'm shocked to see Biden match his national noncollege white numbers in the state.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »

Interestingly there isn't much of an education gap for Arizona whites.

Trump leads college-educated AZ whites 46-45% and noncollege educated whites only 51 to 40%. Given Arizona's right wing reputation at least among whites, I'm shocked to see Biden match his national noncollege white numbers in the state.

A lot of new folks in Arizona are from the Midwest, so this would make sense if there has been a bit of a bounce back for Biden with non-college educated whites.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2020, 05:29:56 PM »

Region Swings:

Maricopa (59%) - Biden +12%
Pima (16%) - Biden +7%
Rest of Arizona (25%) - Biden +14%
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2020, 06:13:07 PM »

The typical Republican strategy is to offset tanking in the suburbs with ramping up margins with rural whites.

The problem with Arizona is that there are hardly any people living in the rural areas to begin with. Other than the Native American tribes, nobody there has very deep roots.

A good analogue for that is Nevada.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2020, 05:10:22 AM »

Hispanic/Latino - Biden +38 (65-27)

Maricopa - Biden +12

Aged 18-29 - Biden +42 (64-22)

*Pretends to be shocked*

There are very few states on which this forum has had worse takes than AZ. To name only the most obvious ones:

1. Biden's "Latino problem" will cost him AZ.
2. Sanders wouldn’t have been competitive in AZ.
3. AZ is far less likely to flip than WI/MI/PA.
4. Sinema won because she was a uniquely strong/moderate candidate.
5. Democrats have an impenetrable ceiling of 44%/45% in this state.
6. Trump will get a massive polling boost here after RBG's death because voters want a conservative SCOTUS.

Likely D.

I agree with most of this but I would disagree n Sinema - I think she actually was a really good candidate for AZ specifically. And that has borne out with her very positive favorability ratings
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2020, 05:17:06 AM »

Please don't respond to anymore WI going R maps, WI is a D state and only voted twice since 1984 Republican and Johnson is retiring in 2022, which along with PA will be D pickups. Walker was the reason why Rs won, he is no longer Gov, Every is
woodley park

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2020, 10:26:50 AM »

Arizona is now Lean D on the 270 to Win consensus map!
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2020, 10:54:12 AM »

The AZ GOP is going to sink harder than the VA GOP at this rate.

At least the VA GOP was able to produce McDonnell for a final hurrah.  In AZ, it looks like Ducey may be the AZ GOP's last hurrah.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies