Will there be a sympathy/rally around flag bump for Trump or hurt him - megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:58:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Will there be a sympathy/rally around flag bump for Trump or hurt him - megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 223

Author Topic: Will there be a sympathy/rally around flag bump for Trump or hurt him - megathread  (Read 13892 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2020, 08:44:32 AM »

Amazing to me that some people believe COVID being the #1 story in the news benefits Trump in any way.

True.  RBG's death now feels like a distant memory.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2020, 08:45:11 AM »

“Well, I wasn’t going to vote for him because he’s mishandled this whole pandemic thing from the start by not taking it seriously, but now that he personally has contracted the virus, and may become even less able to lead the country, I just feel bad for him, y’know? So I’m going to vote for Trump.”

I don’t want to put too much faith in the logic of the average American swing voter, but do you really think that enough people are going to think like this to change the dynamics of the race?
They're going to sympatize more with Trump, because he went out to face the virus, meanwhile Biden sits in his basement all day.

Biden is quite literally on a train tour right now visiting several different states? Are you lying or just willfully blind to reality?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »

I'm a little surprised we haven't gotten a right-wing take yet of "Brave Trump risked the virus while Cowardly Biden hid from it". (I'm confident it's coming in some form within the next 24 hours.)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2020, 08:47:00 AM »

200K people died due to Trump, why should we feel sorry for him, it's just the flu that will go away, no need to wear a mask. He already has white male support, females and AA whom are traumatized by Covid aren't gonna feel sorry for him
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2020, 08:48:28 AM »

I think this forum has the right take.  People will be sympathetic to him but this just reminds people of his recklessness and when people step into the voting booth, if anything, they will think he's not fit to lead (in terms of seriousness and health).  He was the one bringing up Biden's health throughout the campaign btw.  

Also, this isn't something that just impacts him.  He's just one of the 7+ million who has now gotten it because of his own failed response.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »

Probably not, no. If anything, this reinforces negative perceptions in the public of Trump's consistent downplaying of the virus for months.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2020, 08:55:46 AM »

My first instinct after learning Trump was tested positive yesterday night was Yes. But I'm actually not sure want kind of voter would actually change their vote because of this? Most Dems may not wish him health-related harm, but voting for him because of that? But I'm not sure. Depends on how his infection is going. If his condition worsens, he may get a few extra votes. I'm more worried about Trump dying and Pence getting a mandate for appearing like a stable and sane leader, despite his positions on tons of issues out of step with the American public. Then, after some weeks, people wake up and realize they elected a religious fundamentalist.

Him not being on stage could have two contradicting effects: He won't energize his supporters as much, but Trump being silent is better for him. That said, I doubt he'll stop tweeting unless he's in very bad shape. So as long as he's using his Tweetie gun, he should be fine. Would actually be the best thing than can happen: Trump tweeting continues to create controversies that hurt his numbers, but it means he's not suffering too much (which, again, I don't wish him despite by strong dislike for him).

Anyway, I wish this never happened. Neither for Trump personally, nor for the campaign as whole.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2020, 09:00:44 AM »

No.

It’s more likely to dent support and finish his campaign. It will lower Trump enthusiasm. Biden is on route to being one of the luckiest persons to win a presidential election - he’s done nothing to earn it, and had just benefited from external circumstances.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »

I'm gonna say there will be no bump for now for the simple fact that nothing ever bumps anything in any direction. The polls now are basically the same as they were 3 years ago.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2020, 09:12:23 AM »

No.

It’s more likely to dent support and finish his campaign. It will lower Trump enthusiasm. Biden is on route to being one of the luckiest persons to win a presidential election - he’s done nothing to earn it, and had just benefited from external circumstances.[/b]

Biden was beating Trump by 11 points in a poll taken by Morning Consult in 2017....
so Im wondering what external circumstances are you even talking about
solidcoalition
Rookie
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2020, 09:30:58 AM »

Possibly, yes. Too soon to tell.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2020, 09:38:19 AM »

Why should there be a sympathy bump and there is 200K people killed from Covid and he issued no natl mask mandate, this is right wing talk to get Trump back in
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2020, 09:40:09 AM »

No.

It’s more likely to dent support and finish his campaign. It will lower Trump enthusiasm. Biden is on route to being one of the luckiest persons to win a presidential election - he’s done nothing to earn it, and had just benefited from external circumstances.

Done nothing to earn it?  He has worked in public service his entire adult life and was VP for 8 years.  The reality star did nothing to earn it.  And he's not "lucky" - he's consistently led Trump in the polls even before the was the nominee, which is why Trump got himself impeached to try to get Biden out of the race.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2020, 09:48:11 AM »

LOL.
What the hell is this?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2020, 09:53:19 AM »

I'm a little surprised we haven't gotten a right-wing take yet of "Brave Trump risked the virus while Cowardly Biden hid from it". (I'm confident it's coming in some form within the next 24 hours.)

Not sure if you are being comedic, or you didn't read all the posts before yours.
But SirWoodbury pretty-much did exactly that. (See his post on prior page. I also posted his comment below.) ...

"They're going to sympatize more with Trump, because he went out to face the virus, meanwhile Biden sits in his basement all day."
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »

Uh, no, he will not. This sinks his campaign. He's not going to be campaigning for two weeks, and COVID is going to be the frontline story with just a month until election day. He's over.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2020, 09:55:51 AM »

Not sure if you are being comedic, or you didn't read all the posts before yours.
But SirWoodbury pretty-much did exactly that. (See his post on prior page. I also posted his comment below.) ...

"They're going to sympatize more with Trump, because he went out to face the virus, meanwhile Biden sits in his basement all day."

I noticed this, and elsewhere, it seems like Trump's supporters are already trying to "explain away" his contracting the virus, by declaring that he will be "just fine" and again insisting that he hasn't downplayed the pandemic-or that it still isn't as serious as it actually is (yes, these two strands of argument defy logic and contradict each other, but so much does at this point).
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »

I love my COVID-free candidate Smiley
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2020, 10:01:45 AM »

I don't think you should be too confident. Let's wait until the results for Biden's test come back to make that declaration.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »

“Well, I wasn’t going to vote for him because he’s mishandled this whole pandemic thing from the start by not taking it seriously, but now that he personally has contracted the virus, and may become even less able to lead the country, I just feel bad for him, y’know? So I’m going to vote for Trump.”

I don’t want to put too much faith in the logic of the average American swing voter, but do you really think that enough people are going to think like this to change the dynamics of the race?

Yes.

It’s a bold man who stares down logic and reality in the face and says: “No. I reject you! I will replace you with my own, alternative facts!”

Well, “bold” is one word for it anyway...
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »

I'm gonna say there will be no bump for now for the simple fact that nothing ever bumps anything in any direction. The polls now are basically the same as they were 3 years ago.

This. For the love of god, the race has been so extremely consistent it’s insane. NOTHING is going to make people suddenly change their minds on Trump. NOTHING.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2020, 10:47:16 AM »

There is a difference between approval going up and Trump actually improving in H2H polls.
Gren
Spain

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.43

« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2020, 10:56:34 AM »

I'm sorry to say this because most people in this forum are sensible individuals, but having seen what we've seen, I now expect literally anything to happen. Too many supposedly "undecided" Americans seem to need very little excuse to vote for Trump. I'm not saying it will happen, hope it doesn't, but it can.
TC 25
Rookie
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2020, 11:01:46 AM »

I think it will be a net gain for Trump.  He emerges from quarantine saying "I had it, I quarantined and now I'm fine.  Let's get to work!"

The base will be bolstered, and a few on the fence will be be impressed.   A 3-4 point race by Election Day.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2020, 11:18:22 AM »

I think it will be a net gain for Trump.  He emerges from quarantine saying "I had it, I quarantined and now I'm fine.  Let's get to work!"

The base will be bolstered, and a few on the fence will be be impressed.   A 3-4 point race by Election Day.

This sounds right. If Trump thought this would hurt him we wouldn't have heard about it. It's just too convenient for him.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies