Will there be a sympathy/rally around flag bump for Trump or hurt him - megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:07:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Will there be a sympathy/rally around flag bump for Trump or hurt him - megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 223

Author Topic: Will there be a sympathy/rally around flag bump for Trump or hurt him - megathread  (Read 13996 times)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 05:47:23 AM »

The latest Economist/YouGov poll has 51% (!)  of likely voters having a very unfavorable view of Trump (Pence: 41%). He’s so disliked that he isn’t in the position to get a sympathy bump.

However, this won’t help Biden either.

Biden doesn't need any help on this.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 06:11:01 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq__Rr1eVpw

The fact that whenever the non conservative media talks about this they'll likely be showing that video of Trump from the debates plus all the other times Trump refused to wear a mask or downplayed covid makes me doubt Trump will get a sympathy bump.
Horatii
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.50, S: 0.60

P
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 06:17:21 AM »

I was thinking there wouldn't be one, but with how you're all so panicked and insistent that there ABSOLUTELY won't be, I'm thinking there probably will be.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 06:18:12 AM »

I was thinking there wouldn't be one, but with how you're all so panicked and insistent that there ABSOLUTELY won't be, I'm thinking there probably will be.

There won't be
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 06:18:48 AM »

Doubtful. It vindicates Joe Biden and his "bunker strategy".

I think it's actually possible, and that hasn't been discussed yet, this is the final nail in his campaign's coffin: The big question is whether Trump himself spread the virus. He had many contacts in recent days and didn't wear a mask. It's entirely possible he himself spread the virus and people are dying from it. That would be a huge blow for him.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2020, 06:20:58 AM »

I think it's actually possible, and that hasn't been discussed yet, this is the final nail in his campaign's coffin: The big question is whether Trump himself spread the virus. He had many contacts in recent days and didn't wear a mask. It's entirely possible he himself spread the virus and people are dying from it. That would be a huge blow for him.

I'm seeing tons of stories focusing on who was put at risk because of Trump. The anti-mask stunt that his family and other Republicans in the audience pulled also is a bad look.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2020, 06:28:41 AM »

I'm seeing tons of stories focusing on who was put at risk because of Trump. The anti-mask stunt that his family and other Republicans in the audience pulled also is a bad look.

Yep, the problem for Trump is that his flouting the rules has been on display so much, and even a lot THIS WEEK alone, so people will likely say, what did you expect to happen?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2020, 06:36:15 AM »

I work in a 70% Trump county. My coworkers are all Trump voters except me and one other person.

Yesterday the topic among the Trump voters was how badly Trump did in the debate.

Today so far has only briefly mentioned Trump’s covid diagnosis before returning to how disappointed they were with his debate performance and that discussion lasted longer than covid.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2020, 06:44:36 AM »

Trump is friends with Vince McMahon, he was on Raw and was hired in 2010, and Linda Mcmahon ran unsuccessfully for Senate twice.  We know how the two billionaires act, they want to defy rules, Trump wanted to show businesses that the economy should be open. By not wearing mask, the only thing is there isn't gonna be anymore Prez debates. What about Veep debate
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2020, 06:45:42 AM »

Whatever is the outcome, of Trump contracting the Covid-19 virus, he's gonna get a 3-4% bump & sucks the energy out of Biden's campaign! How does Biden compete with this story? Not very well, his saying "I told you so" or whatever he mumbles, won't go down too well!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2020, 07:16:57 AM »

No, based on what I've seen, most Americans feel like...

1) It's a bit of poetic justice. It is what is, they don't care.
2) They wish Trump the best but their opinion of him remains unchanged.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2020, 07:31:49 AM »

My girlfriend said he would poll better if he shut his mouth for 2 weeks.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2020, 07:33:07 AM »

Doesn't matter, optics are all that matter and the optics will push Trump's approval up 5% minimum.
Does anyone Really think Biden has a realistic shot at the presidency RN?

He never had much of a chance, but after today he's basically done.
Dk if you are being sarcastic but yeah, Trump is in the best position for re-election since reagan.

I'm sure having a guy who polls like this on the ballot in Oklahoma is going to utterly devastate Biden.

People didn't think he was really running.. Now that he is, I'd expect to see Biden take a 4-5 point hit at minimum.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2020, 07:34:32 AM »

They look f'ing ridiculous, now.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2020, 07:36:16 AM »

“Well, I wasn’t going to vote for him because he’s mishandled this whole pandemic thing from the start by not taking it seriously, but now that he personally has contracted the virus, and may become even less able to lead the country, I just feel bad for him, y’know? So I’m going to vote for Trump.”

I don’t want to put too much faith in the logic of the average American swing voter, but do you really think that enough people are going to think like this to change the dynamics of the race?
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2020, 07:37:26 AM »

Most definitely.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2020, 07:38:13 AM »

In terms of approval rating, yes, I expect him to gain a few points, but they will come from people who would have never voted for him. In terms of votes, I doubt it, but American voters are weird.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2020, 07:39:26 AM »

“Well, I wasn’t going to vote for him because he’s mishandled this whole pandemic thing from the start by not taking it seriously, but now that he personally has contracted the virus, and may become even less able to lead the country, I just feel bad for him, y’know? So I’m going to vote for Trump.”

I don’t want to put too much faith in the logic of the average American swing voter, but do you really think that enough people are going to think like this to change the dynamics of the race?

Yes.
It's not just that you are a crook senator
MelihV
Rookie
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.04

P P P
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2020, 07:41:18 AM »

Some people think Trump will even get a bump for breathing.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2020, 07:45:49 AM »

They're going to sympatize more with Trump, because he went out to face the virus, meanwhile Biden sits in his basement all day.
Lemmiwinks
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2020, 07:47:15 AM »

I think there would have been a sympathy bump if this had happened in March or April, before Trump had spent several months mishandling the pandemic.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2020, 07:52:49 AM »

Whatever is the outcome, of Trump contracting the Covid-19 virus, he's gonna get a 3-4% bump & sucks the energy out of Biden's campaign! How does Biden compete with this story? Not very well, his saying "I told you so" or whatever he mumbles, won't go down too well!

1. Whatever is the outcome, of Trump contracting the Covid-19 virus, he's gonna get a 3-4% bump

So far I have not met a single person that has said this to me since this story broke..

"I was going to vote against Trump because of his terrible response to Covid but now that Trump has it im going to go out and vote for him lol'

2. How does Biden compete with this story?

with this...

3. Him saying "I told you so" or whatever he mumbles, won't go down too well!

Biden does have to say I told you so since the American people already know trump response to this virus has been awful

He will let that Trump horrible record on Covid speak for itself

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2020, 07:53:02 AM »

White House doesn’t think so:

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2020, 07:55:24 AM »

Will his favorable/approvals see a slight increase? Possibly.

Will he go up in the election polls? Absolutely not.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2020, 08:39:01 AM »

Amazing to me that some people believe COVID being the #1 story in the news benefits Trump in any way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies