Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:09:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
Author Topic: Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again)  (Read 18640 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: July 15, 2020, 05:32:42 PM »

This sounds more serious than I thought, actually.

(Especially considering that Oklahoma is apparently the strictest state when it comes to third party qualifying for the ballot: the Democrat and the Republican were the only people on the ballot in 2004, 2008 and 2012)

Oklahoma is the easiest state to get on the ballot. All it takes is a $35,000 fee and a statement that your running.

So why are third parties so scarce on Oklahoma presidential ballots? Is it because they cannot or do not want pay thirty-five thousand dollars?
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #426 on: July 15, 2020, 05:36:41 PM »

Does anyone Really think Biden has a realistic shot at the presidency RN?

He never had much of a chance, but after today he's basically done.
Dk if you are being sarcastic but yeah, Trump is in the best position for re-election since reagan.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #427 on: July 15, 2020, 05:39:03 PM »

(Especially considering that Oklahoma is apparently the strictest state when it comes to third party qualifying for the ballot: the Democrat and the Republican were the only people on the ballot in 2004, 2008 and 2012)

Oklahoma is the easiest state to get on the ballot. All it takes is a $35,000 fee and a statement that your running.

So why are third parties so scarce on Oklahoma presidential ballots? Is it because they cannot or do not want pay thirty-five thousand dollars?

This is the most likely reason. A lot of smaller parties might have enough grassroots support to make signature requirements but lack the funds to purchase ballot access.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #428 on: July 15, 2020, 05:39:13 PM »

Dk if you are being sarcastic but yeah, Trump is in the best position for re-election since reagan.

No I agree completely..Trump has a lot of supporters that the polls are missing and Kanye will likely siphon off 10-15% of the youth vote.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #429 on: July 15, 2020, 05:41:08 PM »

I'm sure having a guy who polls like this on the ballot in Oklahoma is going to utterly devastate Biden.

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #430 on: July 15, 2020, 05:42:33 PM »

I'm sure having a guy who polls like this on the ballot in Oklahoma is going to utterly devastate Biden.

People didn't think he was really running.. Now that he is, I'd expect to see Biden take a 4-5 point hit at minimum.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #431 on: July 15, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »

People didn't think he was really running.. Now that he is, I'd expect to see Biden take a 4-5 point hit at minimum.

Bookmarking this. If that doesn't happen you're going to hear about it over and over and over lol.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #432 on: July 15, 2020, 05:48:05 PM »

It's a good thing most people in this thread arent political analysts or advisors
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #433 on: July 15, 2020, 05:48:59 PM »

It's a good thing most people in this thread arent political analysts or advisors
Especially since many fail to understand that he literally can't make the ballot in many key states. Florida's deadline is today, Michigan's is tommorow for example.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #434 on: July 15, 2020, 05:55:58 PM »

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #435 on: July 15, 2020, 07:18:43 PM »

This is the most likely reason. A lot of smaller parties might have enough grassroots support to make signature requirements but lack the funds to purchase ballot access.

Oklahoma changed their ballot access in 2017 to where you could buy your way on.  Too bad they didn't see the rube Kanye coming and make it $1 million dollars.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #436 on: July 15, 2020, 07:21:07 PM »

Yeezus Christ! I can't stand this f***ing guy! Just go away! Stop helping to make our country look like even more of a joke!

F***ing self-important celebrities are as much of a disease as COVID-19, I swear.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #437 on: July 15, 2020, 08:09:36 PM »

Is this going to hurt Biden?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #438 on: July 15, 2020, 08:14:58 PM »

I should think so. The deadline may have passed in Florida but there's still plenty of time for him to get on the ballot in Arizona and Wisconsin, in which case it's game over for Uncle Joe.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #439 on: July 15, 2020, 08:15:38 PM »

I should think so. The deadline may have passed in Florida but there's still plenty of time for him to get on the ballot in Arizona and Wisconsin, in which case it's game over for Uncle Joe.
Why would it be game over?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #440 on: July 15, 2020, 08:51:35 PM »

Why would an additional candidate who was openly a Trump supporter and whose platform is based upon being anti-abortion and anti-gay draw hurt Biden?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #441 on: July 15, 2020, 09:12:58 PM »

Why would an additional candidate who was openly a Trump supporter and whose platform is based upon being anti-abortion and anti-gay draw hurt Biden?

Because people here have a racist view of things and assume Kanye will get a large enough section of the black vote that it will hurt Biden.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #442 on: July 15, 2020, 09:16:08 PM »

Because people here have a racist view of things and assume Kanye will get a large enough section of the black vote that it will hurt Biden.

Or because a lot of Biden's supporters aren't too keen on the guy, just want to beat Trump and might be willing to vote for Kanye West if he could convince enough people his candidacy was viable.

More importantly, because Trump is closer to his absolute floor right now than Biden is. That means it's easier (in theory) for a semi-credible third party to poach Democratic votes than Republican ones.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #443 on: July 15, 2020, 09:23:25 PM »

Yes getting 39,039 signatures from registered independents (sigs from Democrats and Republicans don't count) in Arizona by September 3 while the state is ravaged by a pandemic without any actual campaign infrastructure set up now is an absolute piece of cake.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #444 on: July 15, 2020, 09:26:04 PM »

Or because a lot of Biden's supporters aren't too keen on the guy, just want to beat Trump and might be willing to vote for Kanye West if he could convince enough people his candidacy was viable.

More importantly, because Trump is closer to his absolute floor right now than Biden is. That means it's easier (in theory) for a semi-credible third party to poach Democratic votes than Republican ones.
Those are some pretty YYYYYUUUUUUGGGGEEEE ifs though. Also, things are pretty bad right now, and I don't think many people are in the mood for a silly meme candidacy. The joke has gone stale.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #445 on: July 15, 2020, 09:26:50 PM »

none of that matters if Biden goes on to win Florida

Lets not sugar coat this
Kanye not getting on the Florida ballot is a Big deal and he is far less of a factor because of that

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #446 on: July 15, 2020, 09:26:52 PM »

On the flip side of this, this is why the fact that a lot of people voting Against Trump rather than For Biden is important--it means they're less likely to flip if they find somebody else to vote for, as defeating Trump is a priority rather than having a like-minded candidate.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #447 on: July 15, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »

Yes getting 39,039 signatures from registered independents (sigs from Democrats and Republicans don't count) in Arizona by September 3 while the state is ravaged by a pandemic without any actual campaign infrastructure set up now is an absolute piece of cake.

Also, the high in Phoenix today was 109 F, so whoever is collecting signatures is going to have to do so in that heat.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #448 on: July 15, 2020, 09:28:39 PM »

On the flip side of this, this is why the fact that a lot of people voting Against Trump rather than For Biden is important--it means they're less likely to flip if they find somebody else to vote for, as defeating Trump is a priority rather than having a like-minded candidate.

Agreed. If (and it's a big if) West can get more than 1% in polls or a few friendly/feverish media cycles (I wouldn't be surprised if the latter happened), the Biden campaign may have to devote a lot of energy to reminding everyone that his candidacy isn't a viable path to Beating TrumpTM.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #449 on: July 15, 2020, 09:29:59 PM »

18 pages for someone's manic episode
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies