2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 52
Author Topic: 2020 DNC thread (starts at 9pm ET)  (Read 30093 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: August 19, 2020, 11:58:30 PM »

Is anyone else a little disappointed with Harris's speech? Her references to her family were powerful, but overall the speech just.... Underwhelmed? Maybe I had too high expectations based on her beautiful ripping the f*** out of Kavanaugh during the hearings now and expected the equivalent fire and ball kicking passion from a stump speech.

I was expecting average and got average. Seems to be a theme with Harris. Should be enough this year, but doesn't speak particularly well to her chances if (when) she runs for the presidency again.

I simply don't understand why so many people on here have such a glowing opinion of Harris, and believe that she is the next best thing for the Democratic Party. I just don't think that she has the skills or the ability of Obama, and I'm not sure how she will fare when she is running for the Presidency herself in 2024 or later. She has flaws that might be exploited by a capable opponent in the future.
new_patomic

« Reply #951 on: August 20, 2020, 12:51:01 AM »

The problem Harris has is that detractors and proponents alike seem to set sky high expectations for her.

At the end of the day she seems to an okay public speaker, with some moments of brilliance, but many others which are awkward or clunky. And that's fine! But sometimes it feels like she's almost being set up to disappoint with how much she's talked about as a dominating force, or how much she's expected to annihilate Pence in their debate.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #952 on: August 20, 2020, 12:59:19 AM »

Is anyone else a little disappointed with Harris's speech? Her references to her family were powerful, but overall the speech just.... Underwhelmed? Maybe I had too high expectations based on her beautiful ripping the f*** out of Kavanaugh during the hearings now and expected the equivalent fire and ball kicking passion from a stump speech.

I was expecting average and got average. Seems to be a theme with Harris. Should be enough this year, but doesn't speak particularly well to her chances if (when) she runs for the presidency again.

I simply don't understand why so many people on here have such a glowing opinion of Harris, and believe that she is the next best thing for the Democratic Party. I just don't think that she has the skills or the ability of Obama, and I'm not sure how she will fare when she is running for the Presidency herself in 2024 or later. She has flaws that might be exploited by a capable opponent in the future.
Most posters on this site don't like Kamala. What are you talking about lol?

I'm apart of the minority of users on here who actually likes Kamala.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #953 on: August 20, 2020, 01:11:55 AM »

I thought "I know a predator when I see one" and "There is no vaccine for racism" were good lines that stood out. Clearly the speech was introductory more than anything else and there is a heavy focus on promoting the ticket as being empathetic. It's important not to just rely on Trump being terrible and to make a good case for electing Biden and Harris over Trump and Pence.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #954 on: August 20, 2020, 01:16:30 AM »

Given the reaction to her on this thread, and the reaction to the news that she was named as Biden's running mate, any casual observer would think otherwise. And on balance, I think that most Democrats here do like her (and polls show that those outside of this forum certainly do). I've noted that Harris has many similarities with Obama, but she doesn't have his political skills, and that's an important distinction. But as I've also said, getting Trump out is more important, and I'm willing to overlook Harris' selection to do so.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #955 on: August 20, 2020, 02:06:54 AM »

Kamala is just fine.  I've never been a big fan, but I know she's not really a candidate built to appeal to me.

Her public speaking is very polished and boring.  She makes a lot of appeals to the woke constituency of our party.  She's very muddled on policy and there's nothing really unique about her congressional resume.  These are the main negatives.

Her resume prior to the senate is stellar and she has quite a lot to be proud of.  Her most effective skill is her quick thinking and sharp prosecutorial instincts.  She does very well on offense.  She isn't very good on defense.

Overall there is nothing about her as a candidate that is below-average and she seems smart, hard-working and high-character enough to do well at the job of VP and, if needed, President.  So I am pleased with her as VP.

I felt basically the same way about Tim Kaine as a candidate and VP.  As a white southern Roman Catholic, he and I share a very similar culture and sensibility, and I felt a much better personal connection with him.  I would assume that's the same way plenty of POC and women feel about Kamala, so I am happy for them that they have someone on the ticket they can get enthusiastic about.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #956 on: August 20, 2020, 02:22:57 AM »

I didn't think there was much substance to Kamala's speech, but there was one line that was pretty eloquent. It was the part where she says the "virus cannot see... but it can see how we treat each other." How poignant! Those less likely to get in to Harvard without affirmative action are also less likely to survive COVID-19. Who would have guessed this relationship? Clearly the virus is not selecting for booksmarts or doing one's homework, so there must be something else going on. It cuts against the notion of meritocracy. Yes it is true that the disproportionate deaths from COVID-19 among the socioeconomically disadvantaged is a perfect Rohrshach test for our society. How much is said in that simple phrase!

At the end of the day, she goes down like a cherry coke... looks good, relatives look good, dark skinned but not too dark, black identifying but with a nonthreatening white hairstyle, a vague immigrant background but from a nonthreatening place, smiles brightly, says sweet words, doesn't overcomplicate, doesn't make you think too hard, sticks to the straight and narrow, is educated and eloquent enough not to sound dumb but not so eloquent to intimidate. She's digested easily. One may not come away from her speech sure of what policies she supports, but one leaves with a vague positive buzz, a pleasing taste in the mouth. Maybe that is more important than anything.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #957 on: August 20, 2020, 03:26:17 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2020, 03:43:27 AM by Monstro »

Feels more of a divide among thirds. A vocal third who don't like her, a not-as-vocal third who like her and don't get the hate & a very vocal third who love & defend her.

I was out much of the evening so I could only here the audio of her speech while driving. It seemed alright. She could've been more aggressive towards the opposition, but there's always the debate.

I guess I'm a bit irritated that she's been a prominent figure in my state for 10 years and this 20 minute speech was the most I've ever heard her speak about her upbringing. I'd still love to hear more policy-related talk and less platitudes, but that's not exactly her job as Joe Biden's running mate. Nothing in the speech made me dislike her or think she hurt the campaign in anyway, just to make that clear.

A good speech from someone who, while never finding her the most compelling speaker, I don't mind as the running mate but still don't get the hype about as the Democratic presidential nominee in 4/8/12 years. Hopefully she can prove me wrong by then
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #958 on: August 20, 2020, 03:36:38 AM »

It's certainly the cause of not running better candidates.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #959 on: August 20, 2020, 05:21:46 AM »

Watching Kamala's speech, it's wild thinking about how her & her campaign team managed to just completely bungle her primary campaign.

Harris could have ran the best campaign ever and she still wouldn't come close to the nomination. It's obvious that the Democratic electorate was in no mood to take chances with an African-American woman against Trump.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #960 on: August 20, 2020, 06:17:48 AM »

No offense, but I have no idea why you think her nomination speech, in which she's introducing herself to the public, would be anything like her showings in hearings against nominees with hard questioning.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #961 on: August 20, 2020, 06:18:41 AM »

Or: Harris could give the best speech of all time and many people would still say it was just average. There's a lot of people who just won't give her credit when credits due.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #962 on: August 20, 2020, 06:45:38 AM »

WHY THE F[INKS] IS BIDEN ON SCREEN NOW?

YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE NOMINEE APPEAR UNTIL THE END WHEN THEY ACCEPT THE NOMINATION.

Conventions 101. Basic sh!t people.

False. Obama did the exact same thing at the 2008 convention after Biden spoke. Can't recall regarding 2012, but it wouldn't surprise me.

In 2012, they actually spoke on the same night.  Obama's speech was right after Biden's.

Obama did appear on stage right after Bill Clinton's speech, though.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #963 on: August 20, 2020, 08:06:46 AM »

Harris's speech was great. I think it would've worked better in a more intimate setting, much like most of the speeches, but other than that, it was a great one for introducing herself to the public. Plus, it was always going to be hard coming after Obama.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #964 on: August 20, 2020, 09:57:04 AM »

How somebody can watch Obama speak and then afterwards watch Trump speak and think "that's my guy" is just beyond me.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #965 on: August 20, 2020, 10:32:17 AM »

According to a senior aide of Biden, Trump is not going to play a key role in his nomination speech tonight. Some of you were overreacting to the fact that Kamala didn't really attack Trump in her nomination speech. Their nomination speeches aren't supposed to be about Trump.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #966 on: August 20, 2020, 10:53:21 AM »

How somebody can watch Obama speak and then afterwards watch Trump speak and think "that's my guy" is just beyond me.

You underestimate how much hate there is out there.
MikeIrvine
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -5.74

« Reply #967 on: August 20, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »

Her speech was fine. Her in a mostly empty arena was weird and most couldn't pull that off. I think she would do better doing a more intimate talk or in front of a live crowd.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #968 on: August 20, 2020, 11:43:45 AM »

The only major Democrat that hasn't publicly endorsed Joe Biden so far is former VP Walter Mondale. I wonder why he hasn't made a public statement yet.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #969 on: August 20, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »

The only major Democrat that hasn't publicly endorsed Joe Biden so far is former VP Walter Mondale. I wonder why he hasn't made a public statement yet.
He must be quite old, is he functioning?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #970 on: August 20, 2020, 12:13:38 PM »

He palled around with fellow VPs Biden & Pence on the Senate floor a couple years back, took part in a Carter Center panel with Jimmy last year, & played a semi-active role in Klobuchar's presidential campaign, so presumably, yes.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #971 on: August 20, 2020, 12:29:19 PM »

Yes lol.

Anyways, Jimmy Carter is older and has had more health issues than Mondale. Yet, he still was able to record a statement endorsing Biden.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #972 on: August 20, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »

Yes lol.

Anyways, Jimmy Carter is older and has had more health issues than Mondale. Yet, he still was able to record a statement endorsing Biden.
Sorry, but Mondale kinda faded into oblivion if you're not an American political junkie, and aged over 90 it was quite plausible he was simply dysfunctional (dementia and such).

I assume he knew Biden personally fairly well. Maybe they had some run downs over the years
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #973 on: August 20, 2020, 01:29:53 PM »

Yes lol.

Sorry, but Mondale kinda faded into oblivion if you're not an American political junkie, and aged over 90 it was quite plausible he was simply dysfunctional (dementia and such).

I assume he knew Biden personally fairly well. Maybe they had some run downs over the years
Mondale is mentally just fine. Also, Michael Dukakis has faded into oblivion and yet he has publicly endorsed Biden and he's 86.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #974 on: August 20, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies