MA-1: Morse accused of inappropriate sexual relations with college students
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 06:32:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-1: Morse accused of inappropriate sexual relations with college students
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: MA-1: Morse accused of inappropriate sexual relations with college students  (Read 12984 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2020, 09:34:07 PM »

At first I was shocked that Morse was going the "burn it all down" route of arguing it was a hit.

But now......I'm honestly not sure what to think.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2020, 09:42:26 PM »

At first I was shocked that Morse was going the "burn it all down" route of arguing it was a hit.

It’s a hit, plain and simple. Even if you ignore ALL of the text of the article because “intercept is LITERAL fake news” or whatever, the screenshots alone are damning.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2020, 09:53:24 PM »

Use your brain instead of blinding following the "let's believe everybody" mantra and everything becomes clear.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2020, 10:15:50 PM »

Name the GOP opponents he had as mayor.

I don't know as the elections were non-partisan. But all his opponents ran against him from the right and one of them promised to "make Holyoke great again" in a debate. Holyoke is Safe D at the national level, but low turnout as well as weird local politics allows conservatives to be competitive at the city level.

I'm not sure why you keep harping on this though. Who cares what party his opponents are?
My mayor, Steve Jones (R-Garden Grove) never promised to "make Garden Grove great again", but he's a Republican mayor of a Democratic leaning city. All municipal elections in California are nonpartisan. Do you think there's a good chance Morse faced GOP opposition?

I would honestly be surprised if any of his opponents (besides the incumbent he initially beat) were Democrats.
Really? You think most of them were Republicans?

Really. I don't see what's so surprising about that.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2020, 10:20:25 PM »

I don't know as the elections were non-partisan. But all his opponents ran against him from the right and one of them promised to "make Holyoke great again" in a debate. Holyoke is Safe D at the national level, but low turnout as well as weird local politics allows conservatives to be competitive at the city level.

I'm not sure why you keep harping on this though. Who cares what party his opponents are?
My mayor, Steve Jones (R-Garden Grove) never promised to "make Garden Grove great again", but he's a Republican mayor of a Democratic leaning city. All municipal elections in California are nonpartisan. Do you think there's a good chance Morse faced GOP opposition?

I would honestly be surprised if any of his opponents (besides the incumbent he initially beat) were Democrats.

Republicans almost never run in MA-01. They probably won't in 2022 either. Republicans almost always run in most of California's districts that are far more Democratic than MA-01.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2020, 10:33:28 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2020, 10:43:11 PM »

Republicans almost never run in MA-01. They probably won't in 2022 either. Republicans almost always run in most of California's districts that are far more Democratic than MA-01.

There's a big difference between city politics and national politics. (Also Holyoke is a city of 40,000 so it doesn't dominate the district at all.)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2020, 10:45:59 PM »

There's a big difference between city politics and national politics. (Also Holyoke is a city of 40,000 so it doesn't dominate the district at all.)
Will any Republican run in MA-01 in 2022? They run in most of the more heavily Democratic California districts.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2020, 10:47:47 PM »

I WANT TO KNOW THE EXACT POLITICAL AFFILIATIONS OF EVERY WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS VOTER EVER RIGHT NOW
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2020, 11:38:16 PM »

Remember when we were all secret sex offenders because we thought these allegations were a hitjob?
Lognog
United States

« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2020, 11:52:52 PM »

Ok a little late to this but let me just say, I was incredibly wrong. like more wrong than I have ever been in my life
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2020, 12:09:31 AM »

Yeah, if what the Intercept says is true, which seems likely after the collaboration from Panetta, then this is truly disgusting.

All of this retching behavior for an internship.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2020, 12:50:27 AM »

Let me open by saying that cases like these are a massive minority and that I intend to keep erring on the side of supporting accusers rather than the accused.

Now that that's out of the way: Jesus Goddamn Christ this might be one of the most dire political smearjobs I've ever seen.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2020, 01:54:09 AM »

That is incredibly slimy, and I’m definitely going to re-evaluate my position here. One thing I’d like clarification on: Did Morse have relations with students at one point? That would by no means excuse the hit job, which is wrong and gross, and certainly enough for me to walk back on supporting Neal, but it would still make me hesitant to support Morse fully, for reasons I’ve stated before.
new_patomic

« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2020, 02:43:50 AM »

That is incredibly slimy, and I’m definitely going to re-evaluate my position here. One thing I’d like clarification on: Did Morse have relations with students at one point? That would by no means excuse the hit job, which is wrong and gross, and certainly enough for me to walk back on supporting Neal, but it would still make me hesitant to support Morse fully, for reasons I’ve stated before.
In his first statement he admitted to having consensual relationships with some students, though not of anyone that he himself taught, that he met through dating apps.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2020, 03:30:21 AM »

This was a brazen homophobic hit job worthy of Malaysia. Not Massachusetts.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2020, 04:08:11 AM »

The thing about this that really bothers me is that they clearly played into homophobic stereotypes to try and get this story to spread. Just an unbelievable scumbag move.

I'd be really interested to see how this is reported on. People forget that Keith Ellison's allegations were also pretty much thrown out yet he's still a tarnished figure.

Honestly, I don't see how Morse comes out of this with positives.

Neal will win, but I’ll bet that internship isn’t happening.
Hassan 2022
Calm NH Lib
Rookie
United States

« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2020, 09:09:14 AM »

I echo this 100%. As a queer person I'm sickened by how this "story" unfolded and regret souring on Morse without getting enough information. Let's face it, none of us had enough information to properly assess what the hell was going on here. Now it's more than obvious that this was a disgusting and homophobic smear campaign to destroy Alex Morse's career. I had supported Morse before this non-story and will continue to do so going into the September 1 primary (from afar, of course).
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2020, 10:07:26 AM »

In his first statement he admitted to having consensual relationships with some students, though not of anyone that he himself taught, that he met through dating apps.

Also worth noting that he was cognizant of his position and portrayed himself as a normal guy on Tinder.
new_patomic

« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2020, 10:32:00 AM »

Also worth noting that he was cognizant of his position and portrayed himself as a normal guy on Tinder.

Right.

As far as we are aware he wasn't hitting people up, or people he knew from political events, going "hey I'm the mayor 😉"

There hasn't been any proof that he actually actively was coercive in his communications with people. And after the intercept piece there's a great deal of reason to be skeptical if there's any case at all.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2020, 12:34:21 PM »

Wow...... what a mess.
Babeuf

« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2020, 01:17:13 PM »

Morse raised $130,000 yesterday, per a text from his campaign. Best fundraising day of the campaign.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2020, 01:36:01 PM »

This is clearly a homophobic hit job, and I have no skin in the game here.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2020, 01:52:46 PM »

Kid coulda kept his mouth shut and probably easily gotten an internship with whoever wins.

What a stupid, homophobic hit job that hopefully will not discourage future young LGBTQ candidates from running for office.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »

I still definitely have reservations about Morse having relations with students (even if it was consensual and they weren’t his students), but this kind of slimy hit job from his opponents definitely puts him above Neal. Hopefully Morse shows better judgment in the future.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies