Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:16:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Author Topic: Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again)  (Read 18808 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2020, 03:41:40 PM »

This could have been avoided, if Bernie or Warren or Booker would have been the nominees.

Of course a third party candidate was open to coming into the race and Michael Moore said this to mess up Biden's chances in MI, PA and WI since the Dems didn't have a real primary

How on earth would Cory Booker have been relevant to this?
This is the part where someone comes in to say "Justignore Olawakandi. He's a beloved forum institution and immune from any consequences his comments may bring, trolling or otherwise"

Quoting me from yesterday is purely political.  Politics is about evolving, not staying the same and Trump gave a divisive speech on race baiting

Our ballots are secret anyways, no one knows whom you gonna vote for, you can lie
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2020, 06:28:08 PM »

Oh what a surprise, it looks to all have been a stunt for his album...just like I have repeatedly said.

I hope this is put to rest, but I am still worried about the potential of him attempting a write-in campaign.

The people voting for Kanye West weren't going to vote for Biden in the first place.

I don't know why people on Atlas keeps running around like chickens without heads.

I'm still very unsure, to a frustrating degree, whether Kanye is serious or not about running but I am sure that his potential voters would be more likely to support Biden than Trump. I expect that would-be Kanye voters would be those who dislike Trump but don't understand that voting for Biden is the only way to prevent him from getting a second term. They're likely to be disillusioned, less-informed, and younger voters who would be perfectly content with wasting their vote and writing Kanye West in just because he put it out there that he may or may not be competing for the presidency. Maybe they wouldn't be enough to shift the election Trump's way, but it's a variable that I would rather not be present throughout the general election.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2020, 07:00:47 PM »

Oh what a surprise, it looks to all have been a stunt for his album...just like I have repeatedly said.

I hope this is put to rest, but I am still worried about the potential of him attempting a write-in campaign.

The people voting for Kanye West weren't going to vote for Biden in the first place.

I don't know why people on Atlas keeps running around like chickens without heads.

I'm still very unsure, to a frustrating degree, whether Kanye is serious or not about running but I am sure that his potential voters would be more likely to support Biden than Trump. I expect that would-be Kanye voters would be those who dislike Trump but don't understand that voting for Biden is the only way to prevent him from getting a second term. They're likely to be disillusioned, less-informed, and younger voters who would be perfectly content with wasting their vote and writing Kanye West in just because he put it out there that he may or may not be competing for the presidency. Maybe they wouldn't be enough to shift the election Trump's way, but it's a variable that I would rather not be present throughout the general election.

That could be a fraction of his possible support but those voters you described dont like Kanye at all. Kanye would get Broish Trump supporters.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2020, 07:01:22 PM »

I'd take this take more seriously (However serious this ad campaign is), had 2018 CNN & YouGov polls didn't show Kanye having strong unfavorables with people under 40. He polls fairly well with Republican/Trump voters but not even the non-college white numbers look great for him.

But I know the narrative now is "Kanye will do great with young people dumb enough to vote for him because young people are dumb", so I guess I'll let it slide
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2020, 07:02:11 PM »

That could be a fraction of his possible support but those voters you described dont like Kanye at all. Kanye would get Broish Trump supporters.

I just don't see why they would pick him over Trump though.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2020, 02:08:37 AM »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllane/2020/07/08/kanye-west-says-hes-done-with-trump-opens-up-about-white-house-bid-damaging-biden-and-everything-in-between/#225ea1db47aa

Apparently he is running under the "Birthday Party" with help from Elon Musk and a VP already picked out.

Barely attacks Trump, unloads on Biden.

Says he is suspicious of Coronavirus and that Planned Parenthoods were placed in black neighborhoods to "do the devil's work".
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #306 on: July 08, 2020, 02:12:15 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2020, 02:15:29 AM by Hammy »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllane/2020/07/08/kanye-west-says-hes-done-with-trump-opens-up-about-white-house-bid-damaging-biden-and-everything-in-between/#225ea1db47aa

Apparently he is running under the "Birthday Party" with help from Elon Musk and a VP already picked out.

Barely attacks Trump, unloads on Biden.

Says he is suspicious of Coronavirus and that Planned Parenthoods were placed in black neighborhoods to "do the devil's work".

So he admits he's running with the intention of getting Trump reelected? And funny how he's "done with Trump" yet essentially and bizarrely using white nationalist rhetoric.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2020, 02:18:30 AM »

That platform is most appealing to non voting conspiracy theorists and fringe fundamentalist Christians.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2020, 02:21:18 AM »

That platform is most appealing to non voting conspiracy theorists and fringe fundamentalist Christians.
Yeah, I was gonna say. None of the stuff he is running on would actually appeal to the voters he could reasonably win over (younger, disillusioned people who don't like Biden or Trump).
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #309 on: July 08, 2020, 02:26:31 AM »

Yeah, I was gonna say. None of the stuff he is running on would actually appeal to the voters he could reasonably win over (younger, disillusioned people who don't like Biden or Trump).

Right. Somehow I find it hart to see any soft  Biden supporters abandoning him for an anti abortion, anti vax candidate with no tax or foreign policy plan who says God told him to run. Not to mention his answer on police brutality was also very Trumpy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #310 on: July 08, 2020, 02:50:57 AM »

Right. Somehow I find it hart to see any soft  Biden supporters abandoning him for an anti abortion, anti vax candidate with no tax or foreign policy plan who says God told him to run. Not to mention his answer on police brutality was also very Trumpy.

Many conservative African American voters will vote for a religious candidate.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #311 on: July 08, 2020, 04:52:24 AM »

The way BRTD dismisses Kanye's whole campaign as frivolous is not sound. Take a look at all the no-accounts who ran for president -- if those people could manage to file a few papers with the FEC and get their names on enough state ballots to register a few tens of thousands of votes in a nationwide election, then certainly someone like Kanye West can as well.

Besides, even if he is late*, no one should dismiss the ways West can market his brand and to have the media fawn over a new celebrity campaign, because this one was just so dull from Super Tuesday onwards.

*If he doesn't form an exploratory committee or publicly file soon, then yes, he should be dismissed. But being lazy is not the same as being incapable.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #312 on: July 08, 2020, 05:15:30 AM »

The way BRTD dismisses Kanye's whole campaign as frivolous is not sound. Take a look at all the no-accounts who ran for president -- if those people could manage to file a few papers with the FEC and get their names on enough state ballots to register a few tens of thousands of votes in a nationwide election, then certainly someone like Kanye West can as well.

Besides, even if he is late*, no one should dismiss the ways West can market his brand and to have the media fawn over a new celebrity campaign, because this one was just so dull from Super Tuesday onwards.

*If he doesn't form an exploratory committee or publicly file soon, then yes, he should be dismissed. But being lazy is not the same as being incapable.

I'm not dismissing Kanye outright (with regards to his making efforts to actually run), but those individuals that you mentioned weren't dealing with a pandemic that restricts the physical collection of signatures.  

As we speak, a number of states already have proposals in place to allow electronic signature collection, but some of these states are tied up in legal challenges to those proposals. And others don't have any system in place for electronic signature collection.  

It appears (and I'm no expert, of course) that Kanye would need to find a way to collect enough physical signatures in the states where he is still eligible while also navigating around COVID-related restrictions on large gatherings. And that's not even taking the state deadlines into account.  It's not going to be easy.  
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #313 on: July 08, 2020, 05:31:28 AM »

I'm not dismissing Kanye outright (with regards to his making efforts to actually run), but those individuals that you mentioned weren't dealing with a pandemic that restricts the physical collection of signatures.  

As we speak, a number of states already have proposals in place to allow electronic signature collection, but some of these states are tied up in legal challenges to those proposals. And others don't have any system in place for electronic signature collection.  

It appears (and I'm no expert, of course) that Kanye would need to find a way to collect enough physical signatures in the states where he is still eligible while also navigating around COVID-related restrictions on large gatherings. And that's not even taking the state deadlines into account.  It's not going to be easy.  

The fact that states (all except the most irresponsible) won't allow the crowds/events that would make signature collecting for someone like Kanye West easy is the strongest argument against his candidacy.

It could be done if his supporters weren't so online, but I agree with what you said.
Corbyn is (no longer) the leader of the Labour Party
DANNT

« Reply #314 on: July 08, 2020, 09:07:15 AM »

There are major filing deadlines in several states on July 15th, if he hasn't taken any substantive action by then he should be dismissed.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #315 on: July 08, 2020, 09:15:29 AM »

Kanye West is not mentally sound and should be ignored.
woodley park

« Reply #316 on: July 08, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »

This is why I am hoping that this is all bluster. I just don't see how he can get the legwork done with less than a week to go for key filing deadlines. I think he has already missed some states' deadlines as well, right?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2020, 09:38:31 AM »

This is why I am hoping that this is all bluster. I just don't see how he can get the legwork done with less than a week to go for key filing deadlines. I think he has already missed some states' deadlines as well, right?

He's missed the deadline in six states by my count. 
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #318 on: July 08, 2020, 09:40:05 AM »

Pretty much all political party ballot deadlines have passed so if Kanye somehow gets on some ballots it'll be as an Independent, not this "Birthday Party" banner.
MikeIrvine
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -5.74

« Reply #319 on: July 08, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »

I feel like Kanye would siphon off more Trump voters or get some non-voters to vote from the demographic of "dudes who hang out on 4chan doing it for the lolz" than giving a measurable ding to Biden.
woodley park

« Reply #320 on: July 08, 2020, 09:57:30 AM »

I feel like Kanye would siphon off more Trump voters or get some non-voters to vote from the demographic of "dudes who hang out on 4chan doing it for the lolz" than giving a measurable ding to Biden.

I'm not so sure. Trump voters and Trump sympathizers are ready to crawl over broken glass to vote for him again. But they aren't enough to get Trump a second term. His only hope that there is a third party spoiler who lowers Biden's overall vote share so that Trump is again within striking distance. Kanye peaked in popularity with his Glow in the Dark tour about 12 years ago, in my opinion, but that means he still could be a potent force with low information millennial, GenZ, and and particularly with young male minority voters. I hope this is just bluster.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #321 on: July 08, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »

Kanye West is not mentally sound and should be ignored.
Roblox

« Reply #322 on: July 08, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »

Lol at the people seriously worried about Kanye. Like, he's almost definitely not gonna run anyway and this is just a publicity stunt, but even if he does, it'll be little more than a funny distraction.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #323 on: July 08, 2020, 10:49:24 AM »

The dude has 2 months to file as an Independent.

By September 8, filing deadlines in all states have passed and he could only run a write-in campaign.

So far, he's not filed for anything and several important states like FL are coming up next week.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #324 on: July 08, 2020, 11:42:39 AM »

There are major filing deadlines in several states on July 15th, if he hasn't taken any substantive action by then he should be dismissed.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies