Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:37:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Author Topic: Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again)  (Read 19140 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 05, 2020, 11:23:22 AM »

He'll take a larger share of Trump's black voters than Biden
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #201 on: July 05, 2020, 11:34:46 AM »

He'll take a larger share of Trump's black voters than Biden

No, he will take Southern African American Male voters away from Biden. Tim Scott and JC Watts are Black Rs
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2020, 11:35:51 AM »

Even assuming he's actually on the ballot anywhere:

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2020, 11:43:39 AM »

No more than 2% and even that's probably generous.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2020, 12:22:44 PM »

I'd argue that people are not taking this seriously enough. Sure, there is very good reason to believe that this will crash and brun very fast and amount to nothing. But if he actually succeeds in putting together a team and get on the ballot in most states, then he could be a serious spoiler candidate and make no mistake about it, the candidate that he would hurt would be Joe Biden. Having said that, I do believe that after four years of the disaster that has been the Trump presidency, there is very little appetite for another dimwit narcissistic celebrity candidate.
Because literally everything hurts Biden and helps Trump, atleast according to us.

Setting aside the fact that it is now implausible in most states for him to get on the ballot, what evidence do you have that 'the candidate that he would hurt would be Joe Biden'?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #205 on: July 05, 2020, 12:23:21 PM »

Going from previous third party bids, he would probably take a share of the Black vote that is between one third and one half of his share of the total vote. I'm not sure Kanye's race will have any influence. By the way he would likely win more Black Republicans than Black Democrats.

By the way, why is he doing this? Wasn't he a Trump stan? A third-party bid seems a good way to help Trump lose.
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -4.00

P P
« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2020, 12:29:17 PM »

A night of sleep helped me a little.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #207 on: July 05, 2020, 12:36:20 PM »

Going from previous third party bids, he would probably take a share of the Black vote that is between one third and one half of his share of the total vote. I'm not sure Kanye's race will have any influence. By the way he would likely win more Black Republicans than Black Democrats.

By the way, why is he doing this? Wasn't he a Trump stan? A third-party bid seems a good way to help Trump lose.

He's doing it to promote his new music and then will drop out. He's done this sort of thing before. I'm old enough to remember when Kid Rock ran for Michigan senate and then recused himself after dropping his album.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #208 on: July 05, 2020, 01:09:14 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2020, 05:43:23 PM by Battista Minola 1616 »

He's doing it to promote his new music and then will drop out. He's done this sort of thing before. I'm old enough to remember when Kid Rock ran for Michigan senate and then recused himself after dropping his album.

But Kid Rock talked about a hypothetical candidacy in July of the year before, not July of the election year. This sounds different, even though I'm now inclined to believe it's kind of a stunt.
And also, what does Elon Musk have to do with Kanye?

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #209 on: July 05, 2020, 01:19:20 PM »

I made a breakdown here:

Already Missed
Arizona (State deadline is not until September, but requires an Federal Elections Commission filing by 6/14.)
Maine (6/1 deadline)
North Carolina (3/3 deadline, also an FEC deadline of 6/30)
Texas (state and FEC deadline of 5/8)

Very Unlikely
Florida (132,781 signatures [!] required by 7/15)
Colorado (no signature requirement, only a filing fee, but he's very unlikely to be able to meet the requirements to file with the FEC by that deadline of 7/10.)
Georgia (currently no signature requirement after a federal judge struck down the previous high requirement and the legislature did not revise the law, only a filing fee. But the FEC deadline is 7/11.)
Michigan (30,000 signatures by 7/16, with at least 100 from half of the state's congressional districts.)
Nevada (9608 signatures by 8/14, but also an FEC filing deadline of 7/7)

The rest
Iowa (1500 signatures by 8/14)
Minnesota (2000 signatures 8/18)
New Hampshire (2000 signatures by 9/12)
Ohio (5000 signatures by 8/5)
Pennsylvania (5000 signatures by 8/3)
Wisconsin (2000 signatures by 8/4)

None of those are exactly impossible, but might be a heavy lift for a campaign that officially does not even exist yet and is unlikely to recruit the sort of organizing talent needed to do the canvassing needed to collect signatures, especially during a pandemic.

The single easiest state would probably be Louisiana, which requires either 5000 signatures or a far easier $500 fee by 8/21. Colorado and Georgia would be pretty easy if he files with the FEC in a week, but don't hold your breath on that...or ever.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #210 on: July 05, 2020, 01:31:41 PM »

So AZ and NC seem secure for Biden.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2020, 01:50:50 PM »

States where the filing deadline has already passed for an independent candidate:

Indiana
Maine
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Texas

Well, that's not too bad, right? That's only six states!

Thing is, there's a bunch more in July, including some with extremely high signatures. 10,000 signatures by July 15th for South Carolina. 132,781(!) signatures by July 15th for Florida. 30,000 signatures by July 16th for Michigan.

Apparently, NY changed its deadline when they delayed the primaries.

Updated NY filing deadline is July 30th with a 30k signature requirement, so Kanye West could in fact make the ballot in NY.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »

States where the filing deadline has already passed for an independent candidate:

Indiana
Maine
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Texas

Thing is, there's a bunch more in July, including some with extremely high signatures. 10,000 signatures by July 15th for South Carolina. 132,781(!) signatures by July 15th for Florida. 30,000 signatures by July 16th for Michigan.

Updated NY filing deadline is July 30th with a 30k signature requirement, so Kanye West could in fact make the ballot in NY.

a crucially important swing state
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »

States also have write in requirements too.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #214 on: July 05, 2020, 02:04:42 PM »

Indiana
Maine
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Texas

a crucially important swing state

I'm assuming if Kanye ran, his goal would just be to get as many votes as possible to flex his muscles a bit rather than to try to actually win, and there's a lot of votes in NY.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #215 on: July 05, 2020, 02:08:22 PM »

What did you find this information?

It doesn't seem to match the information from FEC's website

https://www.fec.gov/resources/cms-content/documents/2020pdates.pdf
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #216 on: July 05, 2020, 02:09:04 PM »

Why is this obvious joke from a joke "candidate" any serious attention? Even if he tries to run, he will go nowhere. Let alone obstacles to get on the ballot in a significant number of states, especially within a very short period of time.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2020, 02:09:21 PM »

I'd argue that people are not taking this seriously enough. Sure, there is very good reason to believe that this will crash and brun very fast and amount to nothing. But if he actually succeeds in putting together a team and get on the ballot in most states, then he could be a serious spoiler candidate and make no mistake about it, the candidate that he would hurt would be Joe Biden. Having said that, I do believe that after four years of the disaster that has been the Trump presidency, there is very little appetite for another dimwit narcissistic celebrity candidate.

Setting aside the fact that it is now implausible in most states for him to get on the ballot, what evidence do you have that 'the candidate that he would hurt would be Joe Biden'?

To be fair, polling data indicates that Democrats are hurt by independent candidates far more than Republicans. One wouldn't think that Justin Amash would hurt Ds more than Rs, but he absolutely would have. I'm sure it's the same with Kanye West.

The real issue here is that there is no feasible chance of him getting on even a handful of state ballots, and that's assuming he was actually serious about this and willing to invest tens of millions of dollars which he almost certainly isn't. I read that he just released the first single for his new album a couple days ago, so this is probably either a publicity stunt for his album or a manic episode.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #218 on: July 05, 2020, 02:16:07 PM »

To be fair, polling data indicates that Democrats are hurt by independent candidates far more than Republicans. One wouldn't think that Justin Amash would hurt Ds more than Rs, but he absolutely would have. I'm sure it's the same with Kanye West.

The real issue here is that there is no feasible chance of him getting on even a handful of state ballots, and that's assuming he was actually serious about this and willing to invest tens of millions of dollars which he almost certainly isn't. I read that he just released the first single for his new album a couple days ago, so this is probably either a publicity stunt for his album or a manic episode.

I'll have to strongly disagree with the bold--Amash was bound to hurt Biden more than Trump because Biden is leading partly on the backs of centrist voters and disaffected Republicans--many of who would rather vote for somebody closer to the center (from their standpoint) than a Democrat.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #219 on: July 05, 2020, 02:24:47 PM »

I'll have to strongly disagree with the bold--Amash was bound to hurt Biden more than Trump because Biden is leading partly on the backs of centrist voters and disaffected Republicans--many of who would rather vote for somebody closer to the center (from their standpoint) than a Democrat.

Of course he would have, but his policy is fringe, radical rightwing nonsense. It's an example of how the policies of these third-party candidates don't really matter all that much when it comes to who they take votes from.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #220 on: July 05, 2020, 02:28:54 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2020, 04:44:33 PM by Mine eyes have seen the glory of the crushing of the Trump »

What did you find this information?

It doesn't seem to match the information from FEC's website

https://www.fec.gov/resources/cms-content/documents/2020pdates.pdf
https://heavy.com/news/2020/07/kanye-west-file-for-president-state-deadline
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2020, 02:37:30 PM »

Like realistically, does he even have the time or resources to actually start a campaign? Is it all just publicity for his new album? What the actual hell is going on? I swear it feels like everything hurts Biden and helps Trump. That’s how little faith we have. I’ve certainly contributed to that... I just wish I had a little more faith...
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2020, 02:40:29 PM »

No
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #223 on: July 05, 2020, 03:06:37 PM »

He's not actually gonna run. This is just another one of his antics. Also if he did it would have no real effect on the election.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2020, 03:40:12 PM »

No, Biden would be hurt by certain independent candidates, specifically, ones that are anywhere from centrist to far left.

Thanks to his association with Trump, Kanye West certainly wouldn't be perceived as one of those.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies