2020 Protests megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 01:57:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2020 Protests megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 60
Author Topic: 2020 Protests megathread  (Read 65982 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 31, 2020, 02:06:31 AM »

Wow, interesting strategy! Maybe beating the shit out of people encourages rioting?? Just a thought!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #326 on: May 31, 2020, 03:34:34 AM »

He is in criitical condition.

Governors and Prosecutors need to announce no penalty for shooting looters even in duty to retreat states now !
All looters are dangerous people who should be assumed as a threat .

What an absolutely horrible thing to watch.
Yet many are supporting the looters.
This man may eventually die from his wounds. All because he wanted to protect his store and livelihood. Totally disgusting.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2020, 03:38:15 AM »

Governors and Prosecutors need to announce no penalty for shooting looters even in duty to retreat states now !

This man may eventually die from his wounds. All because he wanted to protect his store and livelihood. Totally disgusting.

Who is supporting the looters besides other looters?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2020, 03:40:20 AM »

Show no mercy for these looting thugs !

Round them up one-by-one, until they get it.
Please delete this account. :)
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2020, 03:46:12 AM »

It will be quite interesting to see where exactly things go from here. I'm going to say that they'll probably either increase in severity, in which case the entire federal system could potentially start breaking down to an even higher degree than it already has, or it spikes then slowly declines.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #330 on: May 31, 2020, 03:47:26 AM »

2 pictures:

One if from a failed state, the other is from Iraq.

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #331 on: May 31, 2020, 03:54:37 AM »

I love how you guys post about police being "out of control". If anyone ever knew real cops, you'd know they're using enormous restraint.

I agree with Mike.

Even though there are some black sheep in the police force, 99.99% are doing an awesome job and risk a lot, if not their lives on a daily basis:

Police work should be valued more and not just being attacked when there are some dark moments.

Lol the number is MUCH lower than 99.99%.

OK, I give you the 0.1%

But 99.9% of police officers are decent folks who happen to be under enormous pressure during some tasks every day (I'm not too shocked at how some react, considering how many crazy people are around on the streets and at home in the US ...)

Maybe in Austria they're all perfect. It's more like 50/50 here.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #332 on: May 31, 2020, 03:57:34 AM »

I love how you guys post about police being "out of control". If anyone ever knew real cops, you'd know they're using enormous restraint.

I agree with Mike.

Even though there are some black sheep in the police force, 99.99% are doing an awesome job and risk a lot, if not their lives on a daily basis:

Police work should be valued more and not just being attacked when there are some dark moments.

Lol the number is MUCH lower than 99.99%.

OK, I give you the 0.1%

But 99.9% of police officers are decent folks who happen to be under enormous pressure during some tasks every day (I'm not too shocked at how some react, considering how many crazy people are around on the streets and at home in the US ...)

Maybe in Austria they're all perfect. It's more like 50/50 here.

No, we also have police brutality.

But not on a frequent level. Maybe a case or two every few years.

And in the US, it's certainly not 50-50. It's more the fact that in the US, the few cases of police brutality are much worse because of the much higher number of crazy people and people who are willing to use force against the police if detained, instead of complying with their orders.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #333 on: May 31, 2020, 04:08:46 AM »

Who is supporting the looters besides other looters?

There are some protesters, who are supporting the looters.
There was video I saw tonight, where a protester said (paraphrasing) "I am not looting, but if I had to feed my family, I would steal. And I support my brothers and sisters who are looting."
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #334 on: May 31, 2020, 04:18:26 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 04:31:45 AM by ProudModerate2 »

Watching local news here in Los Angeles earlier.
The looters were swarming a specific high-end shoe (sneakers) store. It went on for an hour or so.
People were driving-up to the store and people would get out to steal merchandise.
There were some very big/heavy-weight looters that just stood outside, and as weaker looters ran by carrying 4 or 5 boxes of shoes, the big looters would trip them or shove them to the ground. The big looters would then take their stolen merchandise and throw it in the back seat of their nearby car.
After that, they would wait until the next idiot came by and did it again. They kept doing this over and over again; rinse and repeat.
I just couldn't stop thinking how this is a total disgrace to the cause of protesting against what happened to George Floyd.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #335 on: May 31, 2020, 04:29:43 AM »

Tender derailing a thread to parrot his warped views from rural Austria again...
Please delete this account. :)
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #336 on: May 31, 2020, 04:51:01 AM »

well, here's reply 400 I guess. It'll be interesting to see how this ramps up and how it effects local elections.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #337 on: May 31, 2020, 05:24:14 AM »

Damn.

Got frantic texts from my college roommate who lives in Richmond now. They set the art museum (VMFA) across the street from him on fire for being oppressive and trashed his car for good measure. Fine people.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #338 on: May 31, 2020, 07:09:48 AM »

I'm also interested in when my social media feeds will start to look more like this and feature less comfortable preening from well-fed liberals about how "riots are the language of the oppressed." Bullsh**t: They are the language of oppressors, both in and out of uniform.

e: Even worse, I'm seeing this language from people who were particularly fervent about masks and social distancing up until several days ago. Not sure how they're making those thoughts cohere when even under lockdown we were seeing hundreds of deaths every day.

Absolutely this.  The amount of people I know that I've seen try to justify rioting on my own feed from the safety of their Ivory Towers is astonishing, especially when these people were usually also quick to shame anyone who didn't properly follow social distancing guidelines like a week ago.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #339 on: May 31, 2020, 07:21:51 AM »

Oh yes. The fabled 'ivory towers' of 20 something urban progressives living in cramped high rent apartments.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #340 on: May 31, 2020, 07:42:34 AM »

Oh yes. The fabled 'ivory towers' of 20 something urban progressives living in cramped high rent apartments.

Uhh no, lmao. I'm talking about white progressives that I personally know who reside in the suburbs from well off families who would switch gears if the rioting ever managed to make it to their nice secluded neighborhoods.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #341 on: May 31, 2020, 07:54:05 AM »

Uhh no, lmao. I'm talking about white progressives that I personally know who reside in the suburbs from well off families who would switch gears if the rioting ever managed to make it to their nice secluded neighborhoods.

Yeah im seeing plenty of my yuppie prog friends on Facebook repeating the stupid lie that acknowledging and condemning the riots is somehow "prioritizing property over life" which is just bs. The murdering cop is in jail and being charged with murder. Riots at this point are condemnable. This isn't some Boston Tea Party. We can walk and chew gum at the same time, so its perfectly acceptable to condemn the cop and the rioters. At this point the riots are the news, as that is where the new violence is newly manifesting. These riots are understandable but not justifiable.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #342 on: May 31, 2020, 08:10:35 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 08:16:29 AM by Intell »

At this point, I'm not even angry any more. I'm just really, really sad. I saw a video of a white man beaten to death in Texas by a mob. I saw a little black girl writhing and screaming because she was pepper sprayed. I can't even look at Twitter.

This is history. This is something that we will be talking about in fifty years.

EDIT: Just saw the man in Texas is *not* dead. That is good to know. I already watched one man die on video this week, and I'd rather not see that again.

That guy was chasing around black people with machette. That doesn't mean it's justified but its not that they're attacking random white people.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #343 on: May 31, 2020, 08:11:41 AM »

The looters were swarming a specific high-end shoe (sneakers) store. It went on for an hour or so.
People were driving-up to the store and people would get out to steal merchandise.
There were some very big/heavy-weight looters that just stood outside, and as weaker looters ran by carrying 4 or 5 boxes of shoes, the big looters would trip them or shove them to the ground. The big looters would then take their stolen merchandise and throw it in the back seat of their nearby car.
After that, they would wait until the next idiot came by and did it again. They kept doing this over and over again; rinse and repeat.
I just couldn't stop thinking how this is a total disgrace to the cause of protesting against what happened to George Floyd.
This is what anarchy looks like. Protests need to stay protests, and IF they turn into riots, you need to target those who wronged you (in this case, the Minneapolis police). When things devolve into anarchy, all goals and endgames of the protest disappear. Anarchy swallows any and all ideology, value or ideal and replaces it with anarchy.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #344 on: May 31, 2020, 08:21:18 AM »

Police treatment of the community is going to get so much worse after this. These naive protesters have another thing coming if they really believe reform is anywhere on the horizon. There will be real retribution against these criminals when the media leaves, though I wish it would come sooner.

That is if coronavirus doesn't get them first.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2020, 08:21:42 AM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2020, 08:24:35 AM »

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #347 on: May 31, 2020, 08:33:01 AM »

Lot of white nationalists out in the crowds being arrested for doing the vandalizing.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2020, 08:51:17 AM »

anyone know how local media is covering this- because that is what matters the most, if not local media, how is abc/cbs/nbc covering this
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2020, 09:01:29 AM »

This is what anarchy looks like. Protests need to stay protests, and IF they turn into riots, you need to target those who wronged you (in this case, the Minneapolis police). When things devolve into anarchy, all goals and endgames of the protest disappear. Anarchy swallows any and all ideology, value or ideal and replaces it with anarchy.
This is chaos, not Anarchy, but I digress.

Anyway, this is revving up to be our version of the Yellow Vest movement. I was wondering when this would actually happen, but I thought it was a year or two ahead.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 60  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies