Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:45:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 47020 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2020, 12:07:39 AM »

Doesn't really look like the same guy honestly. Ears and eyes both appear not to match.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2020, 12:08:28 AM »

That's what I was thinking.
That cant possibly be.
How could the police force he was on, have missed that (if it is true).
(If it is photoshopped, then shame on those creating it.)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2020, 12:17:03 AM »

Doesn't really look like the same guy honestly. Ears and eyes both appear not to match.

Neither does the chin. Those two men don't really even look that much alike, right?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2020, 12:29:43 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 01:44:15 AM by Face Masks Prevent You From Speaking Moistly »

Neither does the chin. Those two men don't really even look that much alike, right?
I think it could be him 100% if the picture is at least 6 months old and if he's put on at least 10 lbs.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2020, 01:37:40 AM »

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2020, 01:46:14 AM »

You know what? I don't even care if he's a Bernie supporter. I care what he did to that man and how he did it. It's not partisan really.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2020, 03:09:19 AM »

It's hard to fathom these things. So sickening.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2020, 09:37:54 AM »

There is nothing wrong with a cop being a Trump supporter, but if that is a real photo, then Trump supporters will look very, very bad. Also, if you want real police reform, you have to get rid of the Bob Krolls and the Pat Lynches of the World. Also, SJWs need to stop demonizing all police. You do that, the more shy Trump voters you get and the more police officers gravitate to the blue collar GOP culture. Political parties should not "own" a sector.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2020, 09:43:35 AM »

That's what I was thinking.
That cant possibly be.
How could the police force he was on, have missed that (if it is true).
(If it is photoshopped, then shame on those creating it.)

There are a lot of racist cops. Some are outright white nationalists/supremacists.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »

Why do US cops always look like f-cking losers.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2020, 10:43:36 AM »

Reminds me of Tea Party protests compared with early BLM demonstrations.

Is the implcation that cops should have set off tear gas in inside the literal state Capitol building during a legislative session over some maskless protesters? If its that the cops should not have gassed the Minnesotans then I agree.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2020, 11:12:52 AM »

Is the implcation that cops should have set off tear gas in inside the literal state Capitol building during a legislative session over some maskless protesters? If its that the cops should not have gassed the Minnesotans then I agree.

The implication is that the severe responses are pretty much all reserved to minority protestors and more left wing protestors, who are generally attacked, gassed, etc. , while right wing protestors (Charlottesville, tea party, etc.) are generally protected.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2020, 11:24:56 AM »

The latter. Every report I'm hearing is that it was a totally peaceful protest until the cops escalated it. They were also pretty indiscriminate, a Star Tribune writer reported a rubber bullets injury.

I'm now worried that this will also cause a Covid surge which might delay my return.  Sad
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 11:37:28 AM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

Honestly, armed people entering the state capitol during a legislative session is the definition of a coup imo. So tear gas would have actually been a very tame response to a state coup d'etat.

And I say this as someone who, while fully condemning the death of that black man and thinking the police should be fired and sent to jail for manslaughter, does not agree of the violent reaction (although if as others say it was the police who escalated and the protestors were peaceful, then it is even worse than I thought and the fault lies fully on the police).

Honestly the American police system might need deep reforms since this kind of thing seems to be a pattern.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 02:30:19 PM by lfromnj »

Can anyone point to me any property or life damage caused by the Michigan protests?
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/grdd24/people_riot_and_destroy_minneapolis_police_cars/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/grc5ic/another_video_of_the_riots_going_on_minneapolis/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/gra0s8/minneapolis_minnesota/

If so maybe this is the reason one protest was not dealt with violently and the other required tear gas?
Its likely the tear gas wasn't needed in the first place due to the fact that most of the protesters were peaceful and I partially oppose it but its not absolutely hypocritical.  

Again those photos showing the "peaceful" protests and armed gun owners dont show the true story. One group effectively had a small minority that was much more violent. Whether or not you consider their actions justified has little bearing to the counter reaction.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2020, 11:57:53 AM »

A terrible injustice. Ya'll need to remember that most cops act as mindless machines and will blindly follow orders / refuse to stand up when something wrong is happening.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2020, 01:24:48 PM »

So I actually read some cop forums and communities and even they're universally saying the cops should be convicted of murder. Also read that it's pretty standard training that one is to never place their knee on someone's neck. Pressing shoulder blades with one's knee can happen in pretty extreme cases where the suspect is still unruly and resisting but never the neck and even then only for a very brief period to cuff them. And this guy was already cuffed and  there's no evidence he was even being unruly.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2020, 01:32:07 PM »

Furthermore, when have Tea Party protestors blocked traffic or burned down the CVS in their own neighborhood? I’m very supportive of BLM, but their tactics are making it harder to sympathize.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2020, 01:40:47 PM »

Absolutely despicable. Hopefully these so-called "cops", who betrayed their oath, get a strong punishment. Maybe they find some time in a prison cell to think about what a police officer is supposed to do: Save lives and not take them.

It's quite painful these incidents still happen in our time. There is for sure not the solution that can cure all these problems. But it seems to me that US police officers are not trained enough on these matters and, even more importantly, there aren't enough black officers. More African American cops, especially in neighborhoods with high black population, would improve trust between citizens and police. And it would help sensibilize non-black police officers to have more black colleagues. Also, if police departments try to recruit more African Americans, it could provide career opportunities for black men and black women. That of course means career opportunities and a fair pay for those officers, who actually risk their own lives to protect others.

Trump deserves part of the blame for stocking hate and division, though there is just little beyond words a president can do. Of course they matter, but local officials have to take care these problems are being taken care of. Regardless of political ideology and partisan affiliation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2020, 01:48:40 PM »

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2020, 01:54:23 PM »

Yeah the impression I get is that they're either much more under-paid or under-qualified than here.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2020, 02:01:49 PM »

Absolutely despicable. Hopefully these so-called "cops", who betrayed their oath, get a strong punishment. Maybe they find some time in a prison cell to think about what a police officer is supposed to do: Save lives and not take them.

It's quite painful these incidents still happen in our time. There is for sure not the solution that can cure all these problems. But it seems to me that US police officers are not trained enough on these matters and, even more importantly, there aren't enough black officers. More African American cops, especially in neighborhoods with high black population, would improve trust between citizens and police. And it would help sensibilize non-black police officers to have more black colleagues. Also, if police departments try to recruit more African Americans, it could provide career opportunities for black men and black women. That of course means career opportunities and a fair pay for those officers, who actually risk their own lives to protect others.

Trump deserves part of the blame for stocking hate and division, though there is just little beyond words a president can do. Of course they matter, but local officials have to take care these problems are being taken care of. Regardless of political ideology and partisan affiliation.

This, but in the black communities, a black cop is seen as an Uncle Tom, or a sellout, just for trying to be for order and helping solve crimes/saving lives/etc.

A police officer is a thankless, no-win, Catch-22 job that is in a crisis of legitimacy.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2020, 02:11:57 PM »

This, but in the black communities, a black cop is seen as an Uncle Tom, or a sellout, just for trying to be for order and helping solve crimes/saving lives/etc.

A police officer is a thankless, no-win, Catch-22 job that is in a crisis of legitimacy.

I think it needs more community organizing and social workers on many levels. Police officers of all races should already go to school and work with kids and youngsters. In a neighborhoold, police and citizens are no strangers to each other, there is more trust and less problems. It's also connected to economic opportunities and housing for depressed areas, because more jobs and wealth mean less (violent) crime.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »

Yeah the impression I get is that they're either much more under-paid or under-qualified than here.

The odd thing is that neither of those applies in Minneapolis. Minneapolis even has a requirement of at least a Bachelor's degree to be hired as police.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2020, 02:50:35 PM »

I think it needs more community organizing and social workers on many levels. Police officers of all races should already go to school and work with kids and youngsters. In a neighborhoold, police and citizens are no strangers to each other, there is more trust and less problems. It's also connected to economic opportunities and housing for depressed areas, because more jobs and wealth mean less (violent) crime.

True. Policing is politicized. The Republican Party feels a cultural affinity to police, the Democratic Party is seen as anti-police, Police Week every year is always politicized, because a lot of the families spout right wing talk during those events, so it is a bad thing all around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies