Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:22:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 46945 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2020, 02:57:40 PM »

Can anyone point to me any property or life damage caused by the Michigan protests?
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/grdd24/people_riot_and_destroy_minneapolis_police_cars/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/grc5ic/another_video_of_the_riots_going_on_minneapolis/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/gra0s8/minneapolis_minnesota/

If so maybe this is the reason one protest was not dealt with violently and the other required tear gas?
Its likely the tear gas wasn't needed in the first place due to the fact that most of the protesters were peaceful and I partially oppose it but its not absolutely hypocritical.  

Again those photos showing the "peaceful" protests and armed gun owners dont show the true story. One group effectively had a small minority that was much more violent. Whether or not you consider their actions justified has little bearing to the counter reaction.

It doesn't appear to be much good in arguing. When you literally have people here claiming that visibly having a gun is "violence", "sedition", "treason", "terrorism", a "coup" and the various other extreme hyperbolic insults being lobbed around, despite having no evidence of he guns were even pointed at anyone, there is clearly no good-faith argument being made. They think their subjective fear of legal, innocuous to most behavior objectively transmutes the behavior into a felony. I noticed the same thing in January over the 2nd amendment protests in Richmond. I noticed several twiggy kale munchers blogging about "it WAS a violent protest even though no one was hurt because I personally am scared of guns and was therefore scared of the protest. That's violence!"

At the end of the day, neither protest should have been gassed. Props to the cops in Michigan for being less Fascist than the cops in Minnesota and apparently some of the posters here. Don't worry though, Badger will be here soon to claim its never, ever, ever, never acceptable to have a visible gun ever, and only racist, babyeating terrorists do so ... but its OK for Maxine Waters to whip up a mob at a gas station.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2020, 03:27:20 PM »

Absolutely despicable.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »

Why do US cops always look like f-cking losers.

Yeah the impression I get is that they're either much more under-paid or under-qualified than here.

The odd thing is that neither of those applies in Minneapolis. Minneapolis even has a requirement of at least a Bachelor's degree to be hired as police.

Are you implying that maybe this happened because of misplaced rage at having crushing student loans?

More seriously, I can't think of anything a patrol officer should have to know that would require more than the equivalent of an Associate degree. I can see an investigator or a crime scene technician needing a Bachelor's, but it sounds like they're using the degree requirement as a screening device.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2020, 04:52:47 PM »

Trump deserves part of the blame for stocking hate and division
Has anyone ever told you that police brutality existed before 2015?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »

Trump deserves part of the blame for stocking hate and division
Has anyone ever told you that police brutality existed before 2015?

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2020, 07:37:38 PM »

Reminds me of Tea Party protests compared with early BLM demonstrations.

Is the implcation that cops should have set off tear gas in inside the literal state Capitol building during a legislative session over some maskless protesters? If its that the cops should not have gassed the Minnesotans then I agree.
Furthermore, when have Tea Party protestors blocked traffic or burned down the CVS in their own neighborhood? I’m very supportive of BLM, but their tactics are making it harder to sympathize.
>Bring long gun to state capitol
Now that's a peaceful protest!

>Block an intersection
BLM has gone too far! I can't sympathize with that.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2020, 07:44:20 PM »

Is the implcation that cops should have set off tear gas in inside the literal state Capitol building during a legislative session over some maskless protesters? If its that the cops should not have gassed the Minnesotans then I agree.
Furthermore, when have Tea Party protestors blocked traffic or burned down the CVS in their own neighborhood? I’m very supportive of BLM, but their tactics are making it harder to sympathize.

>Block an intersection

Physically blocking someone from a public street is much more confrontational and provocative than some fatties mouth breathing in the gallery with props slung over their shoulders.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2020, 07:48:17 PM »

University of Minnesota has severed their ties with the Minneapolis Police Department:

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2020, 07:49:01 PM »

>Block an intersection

Physically blocking someone from a public street is much more confrontational and provocative than some fatties mouth breathing in the gallery with props slung over their shoulders.
I don’t know.
A group of 50~ angry protestors shouting while armed with long guns in a place of political interest seems just a tiny bit problematic...
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2020, 08:18:48 PM »

Just saw the video. So ed up. RIP.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2020, 08:28:16 PM »

The “make whites great again picture is actually Jonathan Riches, not Derek Chauvin. That photo is as real as F0cks N00z.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2020, 08:37:49 PM »

University of Minnesota has severed their ties with the Minneapolis Police Department:

This is what they cause on themselves.

The people of Minneapolis in those venues will have to protect themselves, because the police WILL not come to help them.

The police departments cause this on themselves.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2020, 09:01:22 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 09:05:09 PM by lfromnj »

I do have a little sympathy for the destructive behavior of the protesters due to the fact it was mostly directed at cop cars. Throwing stones is still very stupid to a possible deflection.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2020, 09:04:26 PM »

The officer’s behavior was not justified at all, but don’t go posting doctored pictures claiming Chauvin wore a MWGA hat.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2020, 09:09:23 PM »

This is what they cause on themselves.

The people of Minneapolis in those venues will have to protect themselves, because the police WILL not come to help them.

The police departments cause this on themselves.

Let’s be real here, you don’t really need police at a football game.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2020, 09:11:36 PM »

Funny to see MSNBC and other news agencies give out headlines like "MSP protesters met with tear gas", while in reality the protesters are out acting like animals, looting and attacking cops. In situations like these, the CCP model actually works pretty well.
Meh most of the violent protestors just smashed some glass on police buildings. Waste of money and other stuff but not that bad.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2020, 09:17:29 PM »

Funny to see MSNBC and other news agencies give out headlines like "MSP protesters met with tear gas", while in reality the protesters are out acting like animals, looting and attacking cops. In situations like these, the CCP model actually works pretty well.

"Acting like animals."
Now using the same "language," how would you describe what this officer did?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2020, 09:19:24 PM »

None of that started until the police started firing the tear gas and rubber bullets at the crowds indiscriminately. They're hitting bystanders and journalists too.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2020, 09:22:51 PM »

I haven't read the rest of this thread, but a few thoughts:

1) That video was hard to watch - senselessly sad, and I am glad that these officers were fired after a proper investigation.  It's mind boggling that this happened ... well, sadly it isn't. :/

2) Even taking the obvious moral issues out of it, what in the HELL did that officer think would happen?!  Has he never turned on the news regarding his field of work in the last several years?  The guy was wearing a body cam, for Pete's sake.  Even if he weren't an alleged murderer, he is a HUGE idiot.

3) It really is sad that a minority of cops gives so many a bad name, and I hope that this picks up a trend of prosecuting actions like this to the fullest.  Every cop I have interacted with or seen here in Chicago has been so nice and helpful, and a very large minority of them have been Black.  I can't even imagine the complex feelings they're feeling right now. Sad
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2020, 09:32:25 PM »

"Acting like animals."
Now using the same "language," how would you describe what this officer did?

Despicable, that's how I would describe it. He should be charged for murder like anyone else.

That's not the same language.
But in any case, he should be in jail right now. And if he was, I doubt the protests would be going on. If any other normal citizen did this to another person and killed them (and there was video of it), they would be in jail immediately ... facing a judge for future trial and discussions of (possible) bail arrangements.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2020, 09:33:13 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2020, 05:13:28 AM by Abandon hope all ye who register here »

None of that started until the police started firing the tear gas and rubber bullets at the crowds indiscriminately. They're hitting bystanders and journalists too.

Against nonviolent protesters? Protesting something you said yourself should have the officers charged for murder?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2020, 09:39:31 PM »

How will this play in the Minneapolis-St. Paul suburbs, where the back the blue is more prevalent in the suburbs and where Republicans could use it to define the Democrats as anti-police?

Chauvin lives in Oakdale, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis.

Democratic Rep. Betty McCollum represents the area.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2020, 09:44:01 PM »

1) That video was hard to watch - senselessly sad, and I am glad that these officers were fired after a proper investigation.  It's mind boggling that this happened ... well, sadly it isn't. :/

2) Even taking the obvious moral issues out of it, what in the HELL did that officer think would happen?!  Has he never turned on the news regarding his field of work in the last several years?  The guy was wearing a body cam, for Pete's sake.  Even if he weren't an alleged murderer, he is a HUGE idiot.

3) It really is sad that a minority of cops gives so many a bad name, and I hope that this picks up a trend of prosecuting actions like this to the fullest.  Every cop I have interacted with or seen here in Chicago has been so nice and helpful, and a very large minority of them have been Black.  I can't even imagine the complex feelings they're feeling right now. Sad
Yeah, it’s really a shame how quickly we have gone to generalizing all cops just because of a few bad ones (when most are devoted towards serving the community)
It kinda reminds me of when Alt-Righters used ISIS to justify rhetoric against Muslims.

Generalizations suck.

(Yes I get the irony don’t point it out)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2020, 09:45:31 PM »

Yeah, it’s really a shame how quickly we have gone to generalizing all cops just because of a few bad ones (when most are devoted towards serving the community)
It kinda reminds me of when Alt-Righters used ISIS to justify rhetoric against Muslims.

Generalizations suck.

(Yes I get the irony don’t point it out)

We should not generalize all cops, but the SJWs/Twitter started that. That in a sense started the Blue Lives Matter movement, it elected Trump.

You should see Twitter.
However, I don't know if this will matter in the general election. We will see.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2020, 09:47:02 PM »

How will this play in the Minneapolis-St. Paul suburbs, where the back the blue is more prevalent in the suburbs and where Republicans could use it to define the Democrats as anti-police?

Chauvin lives in Oakdale, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis.

Democratic Rep. Betty McCollum represents the area.

Most police officers who have watched the video say this bastard should go to jail.
I'm sure most citizens, regardless if they are more prone to "back the blue," would also agree.
The video does not tell lies.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies