2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 08:41:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 91869 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: February 12, 2022, 04:42:54 PM »

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/kcrw-features/palm-springs-lisa-middleton-ken-calvert-redistricting
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1901 on: February 12, 2022, 06:24:16 PM »

Calvert is going to get slaughtered in Palm Springs, running behind whatever the anemic Pub baseline is there.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1902 on: February 12, 2022, 06:26:13 PM »

Could he do worse in Palm Springs in 2022 than Trump did in Hudson in 2020?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1903 on: February 12, 2022, 06:43:28 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2022, 06:52:20 PM by Torie »

No, because the gays have more money in Palm Springs and are older, and it has more Hispanics, and far fewer blacks. That said the swing from Trump 2016 to 2020 was about the same, 4 points against him, and Hudson is about 4 points more Dem. So Trump 2020 got 17% in Hudson, mostly from what remains of the straight white working class in Hudson, which is considerably thinner on the ground in PS. A MAGA gay would just not want to live in Hudson. Most of the blocks are just too diverse, both in color and in economic status.

Rich young straight white Hoboken also had about the same partisan divide but about what Palm Springs is, but unlike Palm Springs swung in 2020 just barely Dem, and trended Pub. In both 2016 and 2020 Trump got about 22% of the vote, so it was a tad more Pub than PS in 2020, but less so by about 3 points in 2016.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1904 on: April 19, 2022, 05:29:54 PM »

Been playing a little bit with California. First time really ever drawing SoCal so please be gentle. (Ignore everything north of Lancaster).

link

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1905 on: April 21, 2022, 12:59:00 AM »

Been playing a little bit with California. First time really ever drawing SoCal so please be gentle. (Ignore everything north of Lancaster).

link

It's strange that out of all the county crossings you make, San Bernardino and Riverside is where you refuse to cross, when they are the most similar overall. As you can see just by looking at the roads, Southern OC and Riverside really shouldn't be paired that way.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1906 on: April 21, 2022, 01:53:04 AM »

link

It's strange that out of all the county crossings you make, San Bernardino and Riverside is where you refuse to cross, when they are the most similar overall. As you can see just by looking at the roads, Southern OC and Riverside really shouldn't be paired that way.
I think that seeing Sol post this has inspired me to get back into mapping a bit. I'm going to toy with what the seats might look like if you do such a crossing.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1907 on: April 21, 2022, 01:58:01 AM »

link

I think that seeing Sol post this has inspired me to get back into mapping a bit. I'm going to toy with what the seats might look like if you do such a crossing.

Try to avoid the looping, it seems politically motivated.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1908 on: April 21, 2022, 02:00:16 AM »

link

Looping? Where?
EDIT: Do you mean what was done in San Bernardino and Riverside?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1909 on: April 21, 2022, 02:25:00 AM »

link

Looping? Where?

Yes, particularly linking western riverside with eastern riverside
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1910 on: April 21, 2022, 02:30:03 AM »

link

Looping? Where?

With how Latino the Inland Empire is getting at this point, it wouldn't be too insane to draw it without much concern for drawing specifically Latino-influenced seats (as long as Imperial is drawn into a Riverside-based seat). The Latino CDs basically draw themselves.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1911 on: April 21, 2022, 03:16:37 AM »

link

Looping? Where?

With how Latino the Inland Empire is getting at this point, it wouldn't be too insane to draw it without much concern for drawing specifically Latino-influenced seats (as long as Imperial is drawn into a Riverside-based seat). The Latino CDs basically draw themselves.

Yeah, the only reason one would draw earmuffs like that is to preserve Republican power. It has no other justification.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1912 on: April 21, 2022, 08:16:52 AM »

Looping's not politically motivated fwiw, was just trying to up the Latino % in the other Riverside district.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1913 on: April 21, 2022, 09:24:43 AM »

Does this make more sense?

Sorry about the North San Diego-El Cajon-East County thing, but it does make everything else very logical and tidy.

Also apologies to San Bernardino and the Victor Valley. Doesn't seem like there's a good place for the Victor Valley to go in general--too big for the Imperial County-Palm Springs-Mojave seat, most like the Antelope Valley but then prevents a really nice and attractive Antelope Valley and Santa Clarita seat.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1914 on: April 21, 2022, 06:24:31 PM »

Looping's not politically motivated fwiw, was just trying to up the Latino % in the other Riverside district.
I didn't really think it was. It'd be at least somewhat out of character for you to do that.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1915 on: April 21, 2022, 06:37:27 PM »

Anyway, I've done a SoCal map covering Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and everything south of these two counties. Will post shortly.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1916 on: April 21, 2022, 06:40:21 PM »

Sorry about the North San Diego-El Cajon-East County thing, but it does make everything else very logical and tidy.

Also apologies to San Bernardino and the Victor Valley. Doesn't seem like there's a good place for the Victor Valley to go in general--too big for the Imperial County-Palm Springs-Mojave seat, most like the Antelope Valley but then prevents a really nice and attractive Antelope Valley and Santa Clarita seat.

The Riverside districts do look better, although I'd reiterate my suggestion to follow the highways, connecting eastern Riverside (and Temecula?) with Apple Valley feels very awkward, and what appears to be an attempt at drawing an Asian district linking Pasadena to Chino Hills is unnecessary and should be done more compactly--you can easily get around 44% just staying within the Western SGV.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1917 on: April 21, 2022, 06:42:58 PM »

The Victor Valley seat remains within San Bernardino County.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/6cf96996-122a-458d-bb2d-7dc125ad96ba
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1918 on: April 21, 2022, 06:47:28 PM »

This looks much better from a CoI and compactness POV. Main thing I would try is realigning the two Riverside districts differently. Try to follow the I-15 corridor south in one district.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1919 on: April 21, 2022, 06:53:33 PM »

This looks much better from a CoI and compactness POV. Main thing I would try is realigning the two Riverside districts differently. Try to follow the I-15 corridor south in one district.
I'm interpreting this to mean that Corona should be in the same district as Temecula and Hemet should be in the same district as Riverside (city).
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1920 on: April 21, 2022, 07:01:51 PM »

I'm interpreting this to mean that Corona should be in the same district as Temecula and Hemet should be in the same district as Riverside (city).

Putting Corona with Riverside is fine, but with the alignment you have it's probably preferable to split vertically. Not a fan of pairing Corona with Moreno Valley for example. So yes, that would be my recommendation if you could make it work out.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1921 on: April 21, 2022, 07:03:02 PM »

Putting Corona with Riverside is fine, but with the alignment you have it's probably preferable to split vertically. Not a fan of pairing Corona with Moreno Valley for example. So yes, that would be my recommendation if you could make it work out.

Does this work?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1922 on: April 21, 2022, 07:06:59 PM »

Does this work?

Yes, this is perfect. Your map looks great so far. Feel free to share Los Angeles zooms as you finish that area.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1923 on: April 21, 2022, 07:11:41 PM »

Does this work?

Yes, this is perfect. Your map looks great so far. Feel free to share Los Angeles zooms as you finish that area.
You can check out what I have in LA through the DRA link. Feel free to explore!
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1924 on: April 21, 2022, 08:56:41 PM »

The Riverside districts do look better, although I'd reiterate my suggestion to follow the highways, connecting eastern Riverside (and Temecula?) with Apple Valley feels very awkward, and what appears to be an attempt at drawing an Asian district linking Pasadena to Chino Hills is unnecessary and should be done more compactly--you can easily get around 44% just staying within the Western SGV.

What about this
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies