COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:57:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 117069 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: April 16, 2020, 09:38:03 PM »

• Cases: 677,570 (+33,481 | Δ Change: ↑10.85% | Σ Increase: ↑5.20%)
    • Deaths: 34,617 (+6,088 | Δ Change: ↑145.29% | Σ Increase: ↑21.34%)

Wow, just shy of our all time cases high. At best we're plateauing at a high level.
    Dr. Arch
    Arch
    Atlas Icon
    Puerto Rico

« Reply #1901 on: April 16, 2020, 09:47:34 PM »

Quote from: Arch on April 16, 2020, 08:03:03 PM
    Wow, just shy of our all time cases high. At best we're plateauing at a high level.[/list]

Yes, just about.
    Joe Republic
    Atlas Legend
    Ukraine

« Reply #1902 on: April 16, 2020, 09:55:07 PM »

And thanks to the Swedish government’s approach to the pandemic, she'll be keeping busy for a while.
    Grassroots
    Grassr00ts
    Junior Chimp
    United States

Political Matrix
    E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
    « Reply #1903 on: April 16, 2020, 09:55:45 PM »
    « Edited: April 16, 2020, 11:32:53 PM by Virginiá »

Wow, just shy of our all time cases high. At best we're plateauing at a high level.

Wow, just shy of our all time cases high. At best we're plateauing at a high level.[/list]

Yes, just about.

This is a dumping of a pileup of probable cases, in which the backlog went for weeks.[/list]
      Dr. Arch
      Arch
      Atlas Icon
      Puerto Rico

« Reply #1904 on: April 16, 2020, 09:57:19 PM »

Quote from: Arch on April 16, 2020, 09:47:34 PMQuote from: emailking on April 16, 2020, 09:38:03 PM
      Yes, just about.You are both ignorant. This is a dumping of a pileup of probable cases, in which the backlog went for weeks.[/list]

I already stated that earlier; it's even in the original post. Maybe you wouldn't be so quick to call people ignorant if you practiced how to read in context.
      KaiserDave
      Atlas Icon
      United States

Political Matrix
      E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1905 on: April 16, 2020, 10:42:35 PM »

Lol, white people privilege

lol libs using a pandemic to further inflame racial tensions

Liberals: Look at these racial disparities that hurt Americans of racial minorities! We should do something!
      Hacks: wHY aRe yoU trYiNG to sTOkE rACIal TEnsIon!!11!!111!!!

Do you think everyone is not being hurt right now? Only clowns like you think that dividing the population during a pandemic will alleviate racial disparities. Try virtue signaling on twitter, you'll get a better response

Not what I said

But you knew that 😊
      Virginiá
      Virginia
      Administratrix
      Atlas Icon
      Ukraine

Political Matrix
      E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
      « Reply #1906 on: April 16, 2020, 11:23:59 PM »
      « Edited: April 16, 2020, 11:35:43 PM by Virginiá »

Do you remember when I mentioned the case of a certain person, and you instantly knew her name even though AFAIK you live in Florida.

Catherine Engelbrecht has won her long battle with the IRS for tax-exempt status, during which Democrat operatives embedded in the government also sicced OSHA and EPA on her and her husband's business.

The woman from True The Vote, who spends her time envisioning and implementing ways to thin out voter rolls of legitimate voters, intimidate urban voters (re: non-white people), and generally suppress voting of Democrats while feigning outrage over voter fraud, which is about 0.01% as much of a problem as she makes it out to be? Even if her efforts and beliefs are genuine, she is still literally the person who burns down their house to kill a single cockroach.

Sure, I don't support using the government to crush people with investigations from the likes of the IRS or the DoJ - that is for corrupt officials like Brian Kemp and Mike Pence. But this woman is the antithesis of everything I believe in, and I detest her. I could not care less about her IRS troubles. I really just could not. Maybe she shouldn't spend so much time trying to weaponize the government as a vehicle for her partisan voter suppression schemes, then she wouldn't have so many dEeP sTaTe enemies?
      T'Chenka
      King TChenka
      Atlas Icon
      Canada

« Reply #1907 on: April 16, 2020, 11:37:12 PM »

This country is a set of continued disappointments stitched together by brief blinks of dissipating hope. Sigh...
      Sounds like my love life.
      T'Chenka
      King TChenka
      Atlas Icon
      Canada

« Reply #1908 on: April 16, 2020, 11:43:22 PM »

Damn those Chinamen for getting sick and then shipping all those products and business people to our country! Damn them all to hell!!!
      Trump should have drawn a line in the sand with China flights / immigrations / products earlier on.. A firm line with no exceptions Across this line, Chinese DO NOT CROSS.

Also, dude, "chinaman" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Asian-American", please.
      Grassroots
      Grassr00ts
      Junior Chimp
      United States

Political Matrix
      E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
      « Reply #1909 on: April 17, 2020, 12:27:38 AM »

Alot of people are saying countries are having a slower than expected recovery but you have to realize we are in the middle of freaking April lmao.
      It’s so Joever
      Forumlurker161
      Atlas Icon

« Reply #1910 on: April 17, 2020, 01:33:46 AM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/04/china-wuhan-revises-coronavirus-death-toll-50-percent-200417042241868.html

It seems there was a revision to the Chinese case/death numbers, mainly in unreported deaths and cases being added in Wuhan. I expect more of this in recovering cities, not just from Wuhan, but from other places as previously undetected deaths are found to be Covid-19 related.
      Penn_Quaker_Girl
      Junior Chimp
      India

Political Matrix
      E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1911 on: April 17, 2020, 04:37:17 AM »
      « Edited: April 17, 2020, 05:14:06 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Morning, y'all.

Temperature is down to 98.9*F (well within standard range).  No longer achy, no more NP cough, and all my vitals are normal.  No noticable signs of any residual respiratory issues. My senses of taste and smell have also fully returned.    

During the past few weeks, I've been sending data surrounding my vitals, symptoms, etc. to researchers at Rutgers University. Though mine is only one case, I hope that it sheds just a little bit of insight into COVID-19.  

I'll continue to keep tabs on things and stay in strict quarantine. But ladies and gents, I think I can officially declare that I have beaten the coronavirus!

From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for all of your support!

President Punxsutawney Phil
      TimTurner
      Atlas Politician
      Atlas Legend
      United States

« Reply #1912 on: April 17, 2020, 04:42:59 AM »

Morning, y'all.

Temperature is down to 98.9*F (well within standard range).  No longer achy, no more NP cough, and all my vitals are normal.  No noticable signs of any residual respiratory issues. My senses of taste and smell have also fully returned.    

During the past few weeks, I've been sending data surrounding my vitals, symptoms, etc. to some researchers at Rutgers University.  Though mine is only one case, I hope that it sheds just a little bit of insight into the coronavirus. 

I'll continue to keep tabs on things and stay in strict quarantine. But ladies and gents, I think I can declare that I have officially beaten the coronavirus.  

From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for all of your support!

Congralutions on your recovery!
      Badger
      badger
      Atlas Legend
      United States

« Reply #1913 on: April 17, 2020, 05:18:07 AM »

April 15
      Grassr00ts State Progress map
      Based on state trend in new cases per day

-Cases strongly decreasing (50% green) 6 states
      -Cases starting to decrease (30% green) 13 states
      -Cases peaking out (30% yellow) 25 states
      -Cases increasing but slowing (30% red) 4 states
      -Cases increasing badly (50% red) 2 states

I'll be posting this every 3/4 days with new numbers.

You can also clearly point out the bad governors from the good ones on this map.

Can you though? Ohio being in yellow incorporates a lot of Governors who did an unquestionably bad job here like Kemp, Ivy, and DeSantis. Also, for no apparent reason Delaware sticks out getting red and I haven't heard anything yet their governor
      wbrocks67
      Atlas Star

« Reply #1914 on: April 17, 2020, 05:31:11 AM »

Testing Falls Woefully Short as Trump Seeks an End to Stay-at-Home Orders

Flawed tests, scarce supplies and limited access to screening have hurt the U.S.’s ability to monitor Covid-19, governors and health officials warn.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/coronavirus-testing-trump.html
      wbrocks67
      Atlas Star

« Reply #1915 on: April 17, 2020, 05:36:07 AM »

Which makes it even more ridiculous that we're already talking about reopening the economy right now when these #s are probably UNDERSELLING the true #s[/list]
        Penn_Quaker_Girl
        Junior Chimp
        India

Political Matrix
        E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1916 on: April 17, 2020, 06:24:32 AM »

April 15

You can also clearly point out the bad governors from the good ones on this map.

Can you though? Ohio being in yellow incorporates a lot of Governors who did an unquestionably bad job here like Kemp, Ivy, and DeSantis. Also, for no apparent reason Delaware sticks out getting red and I haven't heard anything yet their governor

Carper has been pretty quiet.  I believe that his stay-at-home order runs until May 15th.

TimTurner
        Atlas Politician
        Atlas Legend
        United States

« Reply #1917 on: April 17, 2020, 06:28:25 AM »

April 15

You actually can't. This map simply shows which states were hit first. That is a factor almost entirely out of the governor's control.
        Brittain33
        brittain33
        Moderators
        Atlas Star

« Reply #1918 on: April 17, 2020, 06:39:30 AM »

You actually can't. This map simply shows which states were hit first. That is a factor almost entirely out of the governor's control.

It does correlate with South Dakota and Iowa having bad governors on coronavirus, though.
        Smeulders
        Rookie
        Belgium

« Reply #1919 on: April 17, 2020, 06:45:29 AM »

Coronavirus death toll is almost equal parts luck and response.
        wbrocks67
        Atlas Star

« Reply #1920 on: April 17, 2020, 06:49:21 AM »

The people at these 'protests' are going to be responsible for more cases and more deaths. You don't seem to see the protests happening anywhere else except for the U.S., because half the country is ignorant apparently
        TimTurner
        Atlas Politician
        Atlas Legend
        United States

« Reply #1921 on: April 17, 2020, 06:51:30 AM »

It does correlate with South Dakota and Iowa having bad governors on coronavirus, though.
        I certainly agree Noem has handled this badly, I am unconvinced the case # rising can be completely be blamed at her door - it could just have been that SD being more inland and among the last places for the thing to reach critical mass, due to the sheer distance between it and more coastal states that got hit worse early on (such as Washington, California, and New York).
        I wouldn't consider myself informed enough to make informed judgement in regards to Iowa.
        American2020
        Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1922 on: April 17, 2020, 07:10:45 AM »

JA
        Jacobin American
        Junior Chimp
        United States

« Reply #1923 on: April 17, 2020, 07:29:47 AM »

According to the Tracking Project’s figures, nearly one in five people who get tested for the coronavirus in the United States is found to have it. In other words, the country has what is called a “test-positivity rate” of nearly 20 percent.

[...]

In that light, America’s 20 percent positivity rate is disquieting. The U.S. did almost 25 times as many tests on April 15 as on March 15, yet both the daily positive rate and the overall positive rate went up in that month

[...]

South Korea is not alone in bringing its positivity rate down: America’s figure dwarfs that of almost every other developed country. Canada, Germany and Denmark have positivity rates from 6 to 8 percent. Australia and New Zealand have 2 percent positivity rates. Even Italy—which faced one of the world’s most ravaging outbreaks—has a 15 percent rate. It has found nearly 160,000 cases and conducted more than a million tests. Virtually the only wealthy country with a larger positivity rate than the U.S. is the United Kingdom, where more than 30 percent of people tested for the virus have been positive.

Comparing American states to regions in other countries results in the same general pattern. In Lombardy, the hardest hit part of Italy, the positive rate today stands at about 28 percent. That’s comparable to the rate in Connecticut. But New York, so far the hardest hit state in the U.S., has an even higher rate of 41 percent. And in New Jersey, an astounding one in two people tested for the virus are found to have it.

[...]

Five other states have a positive rate above 20 percent: Michigan, Georgia, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Colorado. They are spread across the country, and they all have obviously serious outbreaks. Each of the eight states with positive rates over 20 percent has, individually, reported more COVID-19 deaths than South Korea.

[...]

But there is another way to interpret the decline in new cases: The growth in the number of new tests completed per day has also plateaued. Since April 1, the country has tested roughly 145,000 people every day with no steady upward trajectory. The growth in the number of new cases per day, and the growth in the number of new tests per day, are very tightly correlated.

Tldr: It's hypothesized that, based on America's 20% positivity results on the Covid-19 tests, which are rationed and mostly reserved for only the most ill, the reason for our plateau in new cases is because of a plateau in new testing; the virus's spread is outpacing our testing so far. We aren't rounding the curve, we are simply producing insufficient data to accurately track the pandemic's actual spread.
        Bandit3 the Worker
        Populist3
        Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
        E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1924 on: April 17, 2020, 07:31:31 AM »

The situation here in Washington State is looking a bit more optimistic. Active cases are down about 100 from yesterday, and the rate of new cases has definitely slowed down over the past few days.

That's because pandemics die down. They always do.

Panic never accomplishes anything good. Fear and panic almost certainly contributed to the death toll of this virus. Some people are so invested in fear that they don't have the energy to find constructive solutions.

"The virus decides" is not a good national slogan. It truly is hard to believe that the first country to send astronauts to the moon couldn't make sure there were enough tests for this virus, and couldn't do contact tracing.
        Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 88  
        « previous next »
        Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies