COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:25:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116095 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: April 05, 2020, 03:07:28 AM »

Michigan Rep. Isaac Robinson probably beat him.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #326 on: April 05, 2020, 03:10:41 AM »

Also, people are eating more because they're home all the time. What goes in must come out.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #327 on: April 05, 2020, 03:34:40 AM »

Its the same at the Wal-Mart I work at. Strict limits on most everything, and now with the restrictions on foot traffic to maintain social distancing, I think panic buying is dead.

How are the limits enforced with self checkout?
At the Walmart's that I am familiar with, there is a clerk monitoring the self-checkout area. It would be easy to program the checkout machine to check limits. You've probably had to wait for the store clerk to clear something out.

"Please Wait For Store Clerk"

It could as easily say:

"Please Wait For Police. Put hands over head. Do not make any sudden movements.
    You have the right to attorney. If you do not have an attorney, an attorney will
    be appointed for you.

Customer: What is this about?

"You have the right to remain silent. If you speak, everything you say will be
     used against you.

Customer (agitated): Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

(SWAT Team Arrives, Handcuffs Social Deviant)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #328 on: April 05, 2020, 03:36:51 AM »

Its the same at the Wal-Mart I work at. Strict limits on most everything, and now with the restrictions on foot traffic to maintain social distancing, I think panic buying is dead.

How are the limits enforced with self checkout?
At the Walmart's that I am familiar with, there is a clerk monitoring the self-checkout area. It would be easy to program the checkout machine to check limits. You've probably had to wait for the store clerk to clear something out.

"Please Wait For Store Clerk"

It could as easily say:

"Please Wait For Police. Put hands over head. Do not make any sudden movements.
    You have the right to attorney. If you do not have an attorney, an attorney will
    be appointed for you.

Customer: What is this about?

"You have the right to remain silent. If you speak, everything you say will be
     used against you.

Customer (agitated): Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

(SWAT Team Arrives, Handcuffs Social Deviant)

Don't some people use the self checkout to make multiple purchases at once? There are certain credit cards where this can be useful for the rewards.
Smeulders
Rookie
Belgium

« Reply #329 on: April 05, 2020, 04:59:04 AM »

My county is possibly re-opening beaches because there were protests today and yesterday over it and one councilwoman is threatening to sue to the county AG  and county Exec over it

Closing of beaches and nature areas is always a bit iffy to me. Those are places you can enjoy while maintaining your distance to other people. And then you see pictures of how (some) people are actually using beaches.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #330 on: April 05, 2020, 05:46:46 AM »

Also, people are eating more because they're home all the time. What goes in must come out.

I dunno... I have noticed that it has become easier for me to actually lose weight in recent weeks. I largely attribute to two things:

1. Restaurants have closed and the portions I'm making for myself at home are usually smaller the ones I would get at a restaurant or snack bar.

2. As one of the few legal spare time acitivites left, I tend to go for a lot of walks now. For instance, yesterday I was pretty much constantly underway from 3 p.m. till 8 p.m.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #331 on: April 05, 2020, 06:38:05 AM »

First confirmed case of Covid-19 in South Sudan

The first confirmed case of Covid-19 has been recorded in South Sudan, one of the world’s poorest states where decades of war and hunger have already devastated infrastructure.

The news was announced by Riek Machar, one of the country’s vice presidents, Reuters reports.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/05/coronavirus-live-news-cases-approach-12m-as-trump-tells-americans-to-expect-a-lot-of-death?page=with:block-5e8987988f08c35a1d11a325#block-5e8987988f08c35a1d11a325
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #332 on: April 05, 2020, 06:54:11 AM »

First confirmed case of Covid-19 in South Sudan

The first confirmed case of Covid-19 has been recorded in South Sudan, one of the world’s poorest states where decades of war and hunger have already devastated infrastructure.

The news was announced by Riek Machar, one of the country’s vice presidents, Reuters reports.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/05/coronavirus-live-news-cases-approach-12m-as-trump-tells-americans-to-expect-a-lot-of-death?page=with:block-5e8987988f08c35a1d11a325#block-5e8987988f08c35a1d11a325

Leaving only one nation (Lesotho -- one of only three countries on Earth that is completely landlocked inside of another country) on the entire African continent that has not recorded a case.  

The other two African nations without confirmed cases are Comoros and Sao Tome & Principe; both are islands.  
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #333 on: April 05, 2020, 07:11:22 AM »

Re: haha Trump's base is going to die.

As I said old poor will be overreprested.

First wave is urban >>> old poor = skewed blacks (and latinos? overcrowded homes?)
Second wave is rural >>> old poor  = skewed whites
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2020, 07:50:43 AM »

A taste of what could happen, if Hillary won. Reducing of flights from China likely would be considered xenophobic and US would have gotten (ten?) thousands of additional imported cases. A 1,000 new cases become a 1,000,000 in a month under the assumption that doubling rate time is ~3 days.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #335 on: April 05, 2020, 08:32:19 AM »

Truly, Mr. Trump and his Republicans have made America First!

(And he's Number One on Facebook, too!)

(Narrator: He was not number one on Facebook.)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2020, 08:46:05 AM »

If you think, it is fair to compare Spain (47mln) and US (327 mln), you should also think it's fair to compare NY (20 mln) and Kansas (3 mln). Kidding, I know, it's bad-faith from ya.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2020, 08:51:13 AM »

If you think, it is fair to compare Spain (47mln) and US (327 mln), you should also think it's fair to compare NY (20 mln) and Kansas (3 mln). Kidding, I know, it's bad-faith from ya.
I think irony has just died
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2020, 08:58:34 AM »

I think irony has just died

Cool story, bro. You think Ghosts interpretation of data is fair and is not of bad-faith nature?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2020, 09:15:49 AM »

Not US, but still a rather interesting historical event:

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2020, 09:17:56 AM »

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

There’s another, entirely logical explanation for why stores have run out of toilet paper — one that has gone oddly overlooked in the vast majority of media coverage. It has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with supply chains. It helps to explain why stores are still having trouble keeping it in stock, weeks after they started limiting how many a customer could purchase.

In short, the toilet paper industry is split into two, largely separate markets: commercial and consumer. The pandemic has shifted the lion’s share of demand to the latter. People actually do need to buy significantly more toilet paper during the pandemic — not because they’re making more trips to the bathroom, but because they’re making more of them at home. With some 75% of the U.S. population under stay-at-home orders, Americans are no longer using the restrooms at their workplace, in schools, at restaurants, at hotels, or in airports.

Georgia-Pacific, a leading toilet paper manufacturer based in Atlanta, estimates that the average household will use 40% more toilet paper than usual if all of its members are staying home around the clock. That’s a huge leap in demand for a product whose supply chain is predicated on the assumption that demand is essentially constant. It’s one that won’t fully subside even when people stop hoarding or panic-buying.

Pretty good points here!

Pretty much the same reason why other staples such as milk, bread and eggs have been hard to keep in stock.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

There’s another, entirely logical explanation for why stores have run out of toilet paper — one that has gone oddly overlooked in the vast majority of media coverage. It has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with supply chains. It helps to explain why stores are still having trouble keeping it in stock, weeks after they started limiting how many a customer could purchase.

In short, the toilet paper industry is split into two, largely separate markets: commercial and consumer. The pandemic has shifted the lion’s share of demand to the latter. People actually do need to buy significantly more toilet paper during the pandemic — not because they’re making more trips to the bathroom, but because they’re making more of them at home. With some 75% of the U.S. population under stay-at-home orders, Americans are no longer using the restrooms at their workplace, in schools, at restaurants, at hotels, or in airports.

Georgia-Pacific, a leading toilet paper manufacturer based in Atlanta, estimates that the average household will use 40% more toilet paper than usual if all of its members are staying home around the clock. That’s a huge leap in demand for a product whose supply chain is predicated on the assumption that demand is essentially constant. It’s one that won’t fully subside even when people stop hoarding or panic-buying.

Pretty good points here!
There could still be panic buying in a situation like this.

A week or so ago, I was searching for trash bags. They were all gone - but happened to be on the shelf immediately next to the toilet paper. Presumably persons who had seen empty shelves on TV, remembered that when shopping, and decided to grab some for themselves, especially if you saw everyone else grabbing one or two. They then saw the trash bags, and put one of those in the cart. Why not, both are non-perishable.

This week, the trash bags were restocked. There were about three lonely packs of toilet paper on one end of the vast shelf (50 feet?), down by the trash bags. I really had to think about grabbing a pack, even though I only buy toilet paper every few months.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »

Quote from: Russian Bear link=topic=365781.msg7275960#msg7275960 date=1586091043 uid= 23771

A taste of what could happen, if Hillary won. Reducing of flights from China likely would be considered xenophobic and US would have gotten (ten?) thousands of additional imported cases. A 1,000 new cases become a 1,000,000 in a month under the assumption that doubling rate time is ~3 days.

If Hillary Clinton had won, she never would have disbanded the Pandemic response team in the White House, let maintenance on ventilators lapse, and hollowed our all of the Cabinet departments and installed 4th rate kleptocrats as secretaries. She wouldn’t have spent two months ignoring scientists and calling Coronavirus a hoax in order to prop up the stock market. She would have led the country into a national shutdown earlier, saving countless lives, while using her bully pulpit to share scientific updates and truths about the pandemic.

We still would have had hundreds, maybe thousands of deaths. Republicans would be raving and raging against her for 100 Benghazis, holding hearings about how she let Americans die while endangering our freedoms with unconstitutional public health shutdowns. If the stock market fell, Republicans who voted for trillions in stimulus in this timeline would be calling for austerity and punishing the unemployed, causing the economy to slip further into recession as global trade and travel slumped. And Donald Trump would have won in a landslide on an “I told you so” platform, bringing in over 60 Republicans and a massive House majority.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2020, 09:30:23 AM »

Probably the only thing he got right. That was not enough, as the data shows. The closing of travel to Europe was bungled since people rushed back to the states and airports in cities like New York and Chicago were absolutely crushed by people returning from Europe. Perfect place for the virus to spread into multiple other communities across the US. Looking at the places that are most affected, I would say more cases came from Europe rather than China.

And I won't even go into the testing failure.......that is the main reason why the US is in the predicament it is in.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2020, 09:37:55 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/

Data as of Apr. 5 at 3:01 a.m. Published March 27, 2020

New Jersey +31% deaths and now is 2nd by deaths per capita.

Totals Updated April 5, 2020, 9:10 AM E.T.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/21/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-by-country.html
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2020, 09:49:30 AM »

But I'm sure calling it "chinese virus" is totally cool with you. Trump didn't take this seriously and now we may be entering a depression. Deal with it.

If your response to "LOL domestic violence, how funny!" Is to pivot back to "muh orange man racist" then onto ignore you go.
Aurelio21
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #347 on: April 05, 2020, 10:11:49 AM »

Just a little help to interpret this graph: It is on a semi-logarithmic scale, i e a linear slope means exponentional growth. Thus a linear slope suggests ineffective measurements and a continueing spreading of COVID-19. The earlier a plateau is reached, the better the response.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #348 on: April 05, 2020, 10:20:09 AM »

To our posters who have gotten this virus (TSA, PQG, maybe someone else), are you feeling any better?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #349 on: April 05, 2020, 10:26:23 AM »

To our posters who have gotten this virus (TSA, PQG, maybe someone else), are you feeling any better?

No, not really.  On the bright side, though, my symptoms haven't really progressed.  

The fever is still very uncomfortable (even without physical exertion, I'm sweating through at least five or six shirts a day) and there's a sharp pain in my chest when I breath in.  This cough is heavy and wakes me up during the night, too.  But it's still nothing that I can't handle.  

Thank you for asking!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies