2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:25:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 34
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Alabama  (Read 50278 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 07, 2022, 05:34:27 PM »

This effectively concludes Alabama redistricting for this cycle. When there is a merits case a new thread, in a different subsection, will be warranted.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #401 on: February 07, 2022, 05:36:20 PM »

Looks like a 7-0 map eventually.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #402 on: February 07, 2022, 05:36:34 PM »

With LA soon to follow with the same issue, SCOTUS really does need to clarify Gingles, and sooner rather than later. The status quo can no longer stand. So this does not surprise me. I think what SCOTUS will end up doing exactly is much harder to predict. This is a tough issue for jurisprudence to tackle.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #403 on: February 07, 2022, 05:40:16 PM »

With LA soon to follow with the same issue, SCOTUS really does need to clarify Gingles, and sooner rather than later. The status quo can no longer stand. So this does not surprise me. I think what SCOTUS will end up doing exactly is much harder to predict. This is a tough issue for jurisprudence to tackle.

Ye I think everyone on Atlas can agree Gingles and the VRA when it comes to redistricting is terribly outdated and vague.

I worry however the court will just flat out get rid of it all together. I believe what we need are more specific and quantifiable rules and tests.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #404 on: February 07, 2022, 05:41:25 PM »

Anyway, where's IndyRep for the novel length explanation of how radical and lockstep liberal justices are? Because it sure seems like there are at least five and possibly six votes on the Supreme Court to legalize literal Jim Crow racial gerrymandering.

Jim crow is not drawing an arm into Mobile Alabama .

I mean, you read the court order. That did not seem like a court that liked VRA districts at all to me.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #405 on: February 07, 2022, 05:46:23 PM »

Anyway, where's IndyRep for the novel length explanation of how radical and lockstep liberal justices are? Because it sure seems like there are at least five and possibly six votes on the Supreme Court to legalize literal Jim Crow racial gerrymandering.

Jim crow is not drawing an arm into Mobile Alabama .

I mean, you read the court order. That did not seem like a court that liked VRA districts at all to me.

Either way they may be ideologically lockstep but it isn't really a partisan move.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #406 on: February 07, 2022, 05:58:55 PM »

Plot twist: newfound radical liberal John Roberts uses this case to overturn Shelby County v. Holder.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #407 on: February 07, 2022, 06:24:38 PM »

F**k it.

I take back every reservation I had about Democratic gerrymandering. Democrats should go f**king nuclear on the GOP at every opportunity.

These people will stop at nothing. Either they go, or democracy goes.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: February 07, 2022, 06:41:21 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2022, 07:11:51 PM by Torie »

Ye I think everyone on Atlas can agree Gingles and the VRA when it comes to redistricting is terribly outdated and vague.

I worry however the court will just flat out get rid of it all together. I believe what we need are more specific and quantifiable rules and tests.

I tend to doubt it will be gutted entirely. I suspect SCOTUS will clarify/tighten the compact element. Here is a squib story on the stay:

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/593174-supreme-court-halts-order-requiring-alabama-to-redraw-congressional

My guess is that the court will find one Gingles CD because it can be drawn taking in the black belt without covering white real estate to take in black urban neighborhoods (see below). They also might not like the twin prongs* going over white real estate to Mobile and Birmingham as a gerrymandered black pack not necessary to be performing that is in the existing map.

*Oh my bad, there is no prong into Mobile. So it is the matter of the gerrymandered prong into black Jefferson County that pushes up the BVAP to 55% as a black pack (which excess 5% due to the extra erosity is not necessary to be black performing. I think that is an issue where the existing map has some vulnerability.

Existing map that is the subject of the litigation:

https://davesredistricting.org/join/b1cfc3f6-27df-498d-a147-0664d75fea88
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #409 on: February 07, 2022, 06:48:50 PM »

I tend to doubt it will be gutted entirely. I suspect SCOTUS will clarify/tighten the compact element. Here is a squib story on the stay:

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/593174-supreme-court-halts-order-requiring-alabama-to-redraw-congressional

My guess is that the court will find one Gingles CD because it can be drawn taking in the black belt without covering white real estate to take in black urban neighborhoods (see below). They also might not like the twin prongs going over white real estate to Mobile and Birmingham as a gerrymandered black pack not necessary to be performing that is in the existing map.

By the way Torie what do you think happens if Rs sued California for many of its minority seats?
They can't exactly claim its a partisan gerrymander.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #410 on: February 07, 2022, 06:51:50 PM »

I believe I’m right. A 7-0 map would probably be allowed under this SCOTUS. RIP US democracy, which will never ever come back.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #411 on: February 07, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »

My guess is that the court will find one Gingles CD because it can be drawn taking in the black belt without covering white real estate to take in black urban neighborhoods (see below). They also might not like the twin prongs going over white real estate to Mobile and Birmingham as a gerrymandered black pack not necessary to be performing that is in the existing map.

By the way Torie what do you think happens if Rs sued California for many of its minority seats?

What exactly would be the gravamen of the Pub VRA claim in CA?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #412 on: February 07, 2022, 06:55:28 PM »

The current SCOTUS actually managed to make John Roberts look like a noble advocate of voting rights. This means we’re completely f****d forever and US democracy dies and never comes back. Eat Arby’s.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #413 on: February 07, 2022, 06:55:57 PM »

A predominant focus on partisanship race by Ms sadwani.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #414 on: February 07, 2022, 07:10:06 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2022, 07:13:25 PM by Torie »

1. Does it prejudice a minority?
2. Would the lines be different is the erosity/chops were searching for Dems rather than say Hispanics?  

I think that you are saying that it was a Dem gerrymander (not kosher under CA law perhaps), that was "packaged" for PR purposes as a minority opportunity CD or a non Gingles required majority minority CD. That almost certainly is not illegal under the VRA absent the minority being prejudiced.  
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #415 on: February 07, 2022, 07:16:53 PM »

Is 7-0 dead at least?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #416 on: February 07, 2022, 07:19:15 PM »

For now the 2022 map is def the old 6-1 map.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #417 on: February 07, 2022, 07:20:24 PM »

Is it at least dead for the decade?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2022, 07:20:45 PM »

1. Does it prejudice a minority?
2. Would the lines be different is the erosity/chops were searching for Dems rather than say Hispanics?  

I think that you are saying that it was a Dem gerrymander (not kosher under CA law perhaps), that was "packaged" for PR purposes as a minority opportunity CD or a non Gingles required majority minority CD. That almost certainly is not illegal under the VRA absent the minority being prejudiced.  

Techniy not VRA but a 14th amendment violation with a predominant focus on race. IIRC this was a theory used by the CO commision to persuade the Colorado Supreme Court that if race was too big a focus SCOTUS could get involved.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #419 on: February 07, 2022, 07:36:54 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2022, 07:39:51 PM by Virginiá »

lots of hyperbole and dooming removed
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #420 on: February 07, 2022, 07:40:39 PM »

lots of hyperbole and dooming removed

Can you please stop? Create a thread for this somewhere else if that's what you believe, but flooding the redistricting threads with apocalyptic dooming because of a stay is not helpful to anything.
UncleSam

« Reply #421 on: February 07, 2022, 07:45:14 PM »

Jesus christ I knew Atlas Dems were delusional but the notion that you have to gerrymander on the basis of race over any reasonable map-drawing principle is insane. Any reasonable computer-generated map has one black district. That's what is fair in AL. To argue otherwise is to argue in favor of gerrymandering, something so many Dems on here pay lip service to but have no interest in actually fighting if it would in any way harm the Democratic party.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #422 on: February 07, 2022, 07:47:49 PM »

Jesus christ I knew Atlas Dems were delusional but the notion that you have to gerrymander on the basis of race over any reasonable map-drawing principle is insane. Any reasonable computer-generated map has one black district. That's what is fair in AL. To argue otherwise is to argue in favor of gerrymandering, something so many Dems on here pay lip service to but have no interest in actually fighting if it would in any way harm the Democratic party.

I truly do not understand the sudden obsession with computer drawn maps on here. Not only is it dumb, it's very selectively applied. No one is advocating computer drawn maps in California or Texas for obvious reasons.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #423 on: February 07, 2022, 07:48:38 PM »

I believe the current cycle will keep it at 6-1.
UncleSam

« Reply #424 on: February 07, 2022, 07:52:08 PM »

I truly do not understand the sudden obsession with computer drawn maps on here. Not only is it dumb, it's very selectively applied. No one is advocating computer drawn maps in California or Texas for obvious reasons.
Firstly, none of this is an argument. It's just calling an idea 'dumb' with no explanation and saying that 'no one is advocating for X' as a reply to a post...advocating for X.

Secondly and as previously mentioned, I am absolutely advocating for computer-drawn maps in every state. California and Texas both have egregious gerrymanders. I'd think a reasonable starting point in a bipartisan compromise would be enforcing the only possible truly unbiased map onto those two states. The computers do not have any skin in the game, and humans clearly cannot be trusted to come up with anything 'fair' because everyone has some agenda or other.

Just draw the cleanest possible lines then let the chips fall where they may. Any other solution will introduce bias in one direction or the other and we can finally be rid of the scourge upon our democracy that is redistricting.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies