COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:28:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 62
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm  (Read 149307 times)
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: April 01, 2020, 02:12:32 PM »
« edited: April 01, 2020, 02:17:52 PM by GP270watch »

I don't understand at this point what skeptics and especially elected officials do not understand. This is a pandemic. Where it hits, it literally hijacks the entire healthcare system. NYC has virtually every emergency hospital filled to capacity to treat one single disease. Please go on twitter and find the accounts of doctors and nurses. People like to say the media is over exaggerating the threat and that's nonsense. Even if you yourself are not statistically likely to be infected, show symptoms, or die, this is a real pandemic that is testing our health infrastructure like nothing we've seen in a century.

It's common sense. Places like Italy, Spain, and NYC are not bringing in extra morgue capacity because the media is sensationalist, they have dead bodies piling up and the fact they tend to be older doesn't matter, these people were not supposed to die now. It's a pandemic, stay home, let's slow the spread and buy time.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1301 on: April 01, 2020, 02:21:25 PM »

Turns out DeSantis only did the order because he got sued and a judge was gonna decide for him about whether or not a SAH order was gonna happen or not.

Citation please?

I'll get the article when it's up, local news spoke about it earlier.

Edit: Lawsuit asks court to force Gov. Ron DeSantis to close beaches, issue ‘safer at home’ order
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1302 on: April 01, 2020, 02:31:08 PM »

I don't know how fast your symptoms kicked off, LR, but the progression of mine has been faster than the accounts I've read.  

That pain during inspiration is slightly more intense than what it was eight hours ago.  
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1303 on: April 01, 2020, 02:33:39 PM »

Turns out DeSantis only did the order because he got sued and a judge was gonna decide for him about whether or not a SAH order was gonna happen or not.

Citation please?

Edit: Lawsuit asks court to force Gov. Ron DeSantis to close beaches, issue ‘safer at home’ order

The article doesn't claim "DeSantis only did the order because he got sued and a judge was gonna decide for him", only that he got sued Huh
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1304 on: April 01, 2020, 02:34:37 PM »

I don't know how fast your symptoms kicked off, LR, but the progression of mine has been faster than the accounts I've read.  

That pain during inspiration is slightly more intense than what it was eight hours ago.  

Hang in there!
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1305 on: April 01, 2020, 02:35:34 PM »

Citation please?

The article doesn't claim "DeSantis only did the order because he got sued and a judge was gonna decide for him", only that he got sued Huh

That's because it's from a few days ago because I can't find one out yet, he got sued to close beaches and then it was going to be expanded to be a stay at home order and a judge was going to decide that
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1306 on: April 01, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »

Citation please?

That's because it's from a few days ago because I can't find one out yet, he got sued to close beaches and then it was going to be expanded to be a stay at home order and a judge was going to decide that

This doesn't sound correct.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1307 on: April 01, 2020, 02:46:34 PM »

It seems that yesterday’s case rise in the US finally scared a lot of people. The rhetoric and mentality surrounding the virus has certainly changed. I am hopeful real action will be taken on both the federal and state level. We may be able to slow the spread if we take action now.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1308 on: April 01, 2020, 03:20:51 PM »

Horrid news from France.

https://www.ft.com/content/68d06b8d-e927-3bf8-a837-68df528e1268
Two-thirds of old people’s homes in eastern France hit by virus
Two-thirds of old people’s homes in eastern France have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic, and 570 residents have died from the disease in the Grand Est region alone, according to regional health authorities cited by French media.

Those 570 people are not recorded in France’s official coronavirus death toll, which has reached 4,032 but so far counts only those who have died in hospital. Eastern France was the first region to be badly hit by the pandemic, but hospitals in the Paris region are now also at risk of being overwhelmed by patients needing intensive care.

The Grand Est region is the first in France to give numbers for deaths in old people’s homes. It said 411 of the region’s 620 homes had been affected by the virus. Nationwide, some 7,000 such institutions care for nearly 700,000 people who are typically in their 80s or 90s and in many cases suffer from dementia.

Covid-19’s mortality rate from Covid-19 rises sharply in old age, and thousands of elderly people are estimated to have died across western Europe from coronavirus in the past month.

I've read something similar about Italy and Spain.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1309 on: April 01, 2020, 03:28:27 PM »

Do you have a pulse oximeter?
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1310 on: April 01, 2020, 03:32:08 PM »

Horrid news from France.

Two-thirds of old people’s homes in eastern France have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic, and 570 residents have died from the disease in the Grand Est region alone, according to regional health authorities cited by French media.

Those 570 people are not recorded in France’s official coronavirus death toll, which has reached 4,032 but so far counts only those who have died in hospital. Eastern France was the first region to be badly hit by the pandemic, but hospitals in the Paris region are now also at risk of being overwhelmed by patients needing intensive care.

The Grand Est region is the first in France to give numbers for deaths in old people’s homes. It said 411 of the region’s 620 homes had been affected by the virus. Nationwide, some 7,000 such institutions care for nearly 700,000 people who are typically in their 80s or 90s and in many cases suffer from dementia.

Covid-19’s mortality rate from Covid-19 rises sharply in old age, and thousands of elderly people are estimated to have died across western Europe from coronavirus in the past month.

Coming soon to The Villages, Florida (which voted almost 70% for Trump), which I would guess will end up having lower turnout this time around.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/06/18/florida-senior-citizens-vote-election-2018-218758
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #1311 on: April 01, 2020, 03:50:46 PM »

Really sad news out of CT:

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1312 on: April 01, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »

Really sad news out of CT:

Anyone can die of this disease. Hopefully, this is something that the denialists have come to recognize at this point. Now, especially given that it's gotten dangerously close to me (and may have even gotten me), I've come to appreciate the shutdown measures which the authorities have put in place.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1313 on: April 01, 2020, 04:00:15 PM »

Brian Kemp finally yields to pressure he's been getting from health officials and state lawmakers of both parties, and will order a statewide shelter-in-place starting Friday.  He's also cancelling all K-12 classes for the rest of the school year.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/breaking-georgia-governor-orders-shelter-place-curb-coronavirus/vdAoWkjq39W2usr9e8W8BL/
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1314 on: April 01, 2020, 04:03:33 PM »

A news update for Colorado: Polis has extended school closures and remote learning out to April 30: https://krdo.com/news/top-stories/2020/04/01/gov-jared-polis-gives-update-on-covid-19-in-colorado-april-1/. A few days ago, he said it was "highly unlikely" that K-12 public schools in Colorado would be resuming classroom instruction for the remainder of the school year. Nevertheless, he's continued with his gradual response to the crisis, contrasting with some other states that have shut down schools entirely for the remainder of the academic year. We'll see how things go.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1315 on: April 01, 2020, 04:03:34 PM »

Truck carrying toilet paper catches fire, shuts down Dallas highway
DALLAS (WFAA) — A tractor-trailer carrying toilet paper caught fire overnight in Hutchins, according to local officials.

The driver of the truck is OK, authorities told WFAA.

The fire shut down all lanes of westbound Interstate 20 around 4:15 a.m. near Interstate 45 in Hutchins, according to the Texas Department of Transportation.

The toilet paper, which appeared to be large rolls typical of commercial use, was scattered across the roadway. TxDOT officials said the tractor-trailer and the load of toilet paper "burned extensively," estimating it would take authorities "some time" to clean up.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1316 on: April 01, 2020, 04:10:48 PM »

Do you have a pulse oximeter?

I do - pulse ox is on the low end of normal range. 
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #1317 on: April 01, 2020, 04:12:49 PM »

193,632 Have recovered from the virus vs 46,498 deaths. Why doesn’t the media cover that?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1318 on: April 01, 2020, 04:13:17 PM »

Michigan just dumped 1,719 cases and 78 deaths

Looks pretty horrible for Trump that he not only was feuding with Whitmer but that whether or not he actually did withhold aid, his own words certainly made it seem that way.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1319 on: April 01, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »

193,632 Have recovered from the virus vs 46,498 deaths. Why doesn’t the media cover that?

Because there's no reason to report on recovers? When there's 200,000 cases but only 4,000 deaths it's pretty much assumed that a large % of the rest are recovers. Just because a bunch of people recover (or a large %) doesn't make the death toll any better.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1320 on: April 01, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »

Hang in there!

At what point do you go to the hospital dude.

There is a very troubling report that a Chinese doctor who went through 14 day quarantine in January has infected 3 people in late March. If recovered people with no symptoms can still be super spreaders after 2 months, then at least 99.99% of the world's population will get it. Either that, or recovered people have to be continually tested for the presence of the virus and be promptly re-isolated if it reappears. It's not clear if this doctor tested negative in January.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1321 on: April 01, 2020, 04:27:22 PM »

Hang in there!

There is a very troubling report that a Chinese doctor who went through 14 day quarantine in January has infected 3 people in late March. If recovered people with no symptoms can still be super spreaders after 2 months, then at least 99.99% of the world's population will get it. Either that, or recovered people have to be continually tested for the presence of the virus and be promptly re-isolated if it reappears. It's not clear if this doctor tested negative in January.

So many unknowns.

Wuhan doctors are claiming the virus can go nearly a month without showing symptoms and the 14 days quarantine misses cases. That virus re-infection is not only possible but more fatal the second time due to current treatments and stresses it puts on the heart. And that many of the diagnostic tests that have been developed give false negatives.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1322 on: April 01, 2020, 04:33:07 PM »

Horrid news from France.

Coming soon to The Villages, Florida (which voted almost 70% for Trump), which I would guess will end up having lower turnout this time around.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/06/18/florida-senior-citizens-vote-election-2018-218758
Tilt R—>Likely D
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1323 on: April 01, 2020, 04:34:42 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2020, 04:38:31 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Hang in there!

It's not necessary to rush off to a hospital at this stage and potentially spread this virus to others.  Yes, I'm pretty uncomfortable right now between the fever and muscular pains.  But a 102-102.5*F is not a reason to visit the ER, nor is noticeable (but expected and relatively stable) chest discomfort.  

That being said, I've become even more diligent about keeping tabs on my vitals within the past twenty-four hours.  Before, I took readings every eight hours.  Now, it's every four. 
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1324 on: April 01, 2020, 04:36:10 PM »

“Adolf Hitler had a great record with animal rights! Why doesn’t the biased media ever report on that?!”
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies