2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:55:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 30
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan  (Read 43173 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: September 20, 2021, 11:16:20 AM »

Eid proposes an all-around better map, though I personally never like Ottawa-Grand Rapids.

Seems to be a vocal contingent in the committee that is not a fan of this map, which is concerning. Saying that Eid's map doesn't respect the Bangladeshi COI.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #451 on: September 20, 2021, 11:38:36 AM »

This is a very fair map.  Im surprised the Democrat members allowed something so fair to be released.

Everything they say or do is public and available on YouTube.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2021, 11:51:05 AM »

Eid proposes an all-around better map, though I personally never like Ottawa-Grand Rapids.

This is a much better map.   I think even Republicans would like the 6, 7, 8 configuration better really.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2021, 12:31:15 PM »

What's the partisan breakdown of this map? I'm pretty sure that would be 8-5 Biden-Trump in 2020; would it be 8-5 Trump-Clinton in 2016?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #454 on: September 20, 2021, 12:57:49 PM »

What's the partisan breakdown of this map? I'm pretty sure that would be 8-5 Biden-Trump in 2020; would it be 8-5 Trump-Clinton in 2016?

Dems win the two Detroit seats and the Ann Arbor seat obviously, his version of 9 appears concise and safe, others have already shown that this mid-cities seat goes blue, 4 should be tight and marginal Biden just looking at numbers, and I ran the dra on 3 and its essentially a tie, I think with Biden up.

So 6-1-6, but the Macomb seat lacks some of the very red areas so that seat is probably marginal, along with 6. So more 4-2-1-2-4 between safe/competitive seats for either party.

Trump definitely won 3 and 4 in 2016 here, so 5-8 for the topline under that election.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #455 on: September 20, 2021, 05:19:29 PM »

Seems to be a vocal contingent in the committee that is not a fan of this map, which is concerning. Saying that Eid's map doesn't respect the Bangladeshi COI.
What is even the "Bangladeshi CoI"?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #456 on: September 20, 2021, 05:22:43 PM »

A seat winnable by Tlaib that gets Muslins from the Dearborns, Hamtramck, and a few suburbs to their west all together.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #457 on: September 20, 2021, 05:33:42 PM »

A seat winnable by Tlaib that gets Muslins from the Dearborns, Hamtramck, and a few suburbs to their west all together.
I see.
How likely is it we see Debbie Dingell and Tliab forced into a primary?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #458 on: September 20, 2021, 05:37:23 PM »

Wait the commission is actually worried about VRA stuff outside of Wayne and Oakland and Macomb lol.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #459 on: September 28, 2021, 07:47:06 PM »

So the four proposals that the commission released yesterday all look like total nightmares

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-2022-maps/michigan/first_proposal/

Map 4 isn't even contiguous, I don't know why they even put that out.

The other three might as well have been drawn by the Republican legislature (especially the first).  

They all pack Ann Arbor with the Detroit suburbs, put Levin in an unwinnable seat, most likely doom Kildee (although that's expected anyway), and give all the R incumbents safe seats (even Upton) except Meijer, whose in the Grand Rapids district.

The median seat in all three workable maps is at least R+5.3, where Biden won the state by 2.78%.  

If they pass the first map, Michigan could very well end up with a 9R-4D delegation in 2023.

Why are the worst maps of this cycle coming from two Ind Commission states (Michigan and Colorado)?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #460 on: September 28, 2021, 08:11:26 PM »

So the four proposals that the commission released yesterday all look like total nightmares

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-2022-maps/michigan/first_proposal/

Map 4 isn't even contiguous, I don't know why they even put that out.

The other three might as well have been drawn by the Republican legislature (especially the first).  

They all pack Ann Arbor with the Detroit suburbs, put Levin in an unwinnable seat, most likely doom Kildee (although that's expected anyway), and give all the R incumbents safe seats (even Upton) except Meijer, whose in the Grand Rapids district.

The median seat in all three workable maps is at least R+5.3, where Biden won the state by 2.78%.  

If they pass the first map, Michigan could very well end up with a 9R-4D delegation in 2023.

Why are the worst maps of this cycle coming from two Ind Commission states (Michigan and Colorado)?

Honestly map 4 wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for the fact it weren't contiguous. I feel like technically from a COI standpoint Ann-Arbor fits better with white Detroit burbs but from a partisanship standpoint, "unpacking" the Detroit metro is the right thing to do.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #461 on: September 28, 2021, 09:04:25 PM »

Map 4 is the least bad.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #462 on: September 28, 2021, 11:28:01 PM »

I don't think those maps are really too bad? There are other ways to make it more competitive of course--and like a lot of commission maps this cycle they're all sort of untidy--but tbh those maps aren't totally nonsensical wrt:CoI.

Actually I'd argue that the 4th is the worst, not just because of the noncontiguity but also because tbh imo Muskegon+GR is a Dem gerrymander. Kent and Ottawa are the most obvious county combo in existence.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #463 on: September 29, 2021, 03:44:23 AM »

Map 3 seems the best by all accounts. I understand why it'd be frustrating for Democrats, but Michigan's political geography is just not great for them in the state and has become worse since 2016. Map 3 is fairly compact and preserves COIs (in fact it unpacks the Detroit area somewhat).

Map 1 is an obvious R gerrymander (splitting Flint and Saginaw is pure trolling), and Map 4 is non-contiguous so I'm not even sure how they released it. Maps 2 and 3 are acceptable, though hopefully some shifts can be made to shore up Dems further while respecting COIs.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #464 on: September 29, 2021, 06:41:29 AM »

Map 3 seems the best by all accounts. I understand why it'd be frustrating for Democrats, but Michigan's political geography is just not great for them in the state and has become worse since 2016. Map 3 is fairly compact and preserves COIs (in fact it unpacks the Detroit area somewhat).

Map 1 is an obvious R gerrymander (splitting Flint and Saginaw is pure trolling), and Map 4 is non-contiguous so I'm not even sure how they released it. Maps 2 and 3 are acceptable, though hopefully some shifts can be made to shore up Dems further while respecting COIs.

Maps are likely going to have to be adjusted anyway. Partisan fairness has a higher priority than compactness and splits in the criteria.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #465 on: September 29, 2021, 07:51:26 AM »

The first map was just a draft plan they drew up and ran out of space.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #466 on: September 29, 2021, 01:30:42 PM »

They are discussing right now combining Grand Rapids with either Kalamazoo or Muskegon in the Congressional map.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #467 on: September 29, 2021, 01:34:52 PM »

They are discussing right now combining Grand Rapids with either Kalamazoo or Muskegon in the Congressional map.

I personally always like the "lakeshore" version of 9 (CD02) in this proposal, mainly cause Ottawa is so culturally distinct from Grand Rapids, despite their commuter ties. Not sure about the rest, there are more compact ways to do the Kent County Seat and make it swing.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #468 on: September 29, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »

The same Obama era status quo bias that helped Republicans in CO and will likely help them in VA should help Democrats in MI. There's going to be a lot of pressure for Dems to have a majority of the delegation.  You could see a similar thing in court in PA.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #469 on: September 29, 2021, 04:33:24 PM »

Prefer Grand Rapids-Muskegon to Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo should go in a district with Battle Creek.

Fair map:

Pres 2020:
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #470 on: September 30, 2021, 01:09:08 AM »

I don't know le Michigan but I played around and came up with this. It could be anywhere from 9-4 D & 9-4 R depending on candidates/climate.

Stabenow won 7, Biden won 8, Whitmer won 9 (almost 10; CD-9), and Trump ('16) won 9 (almost 10; CD-7).

Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #471 on: September 30, 2021, 09:33:15 AM »

Looks like you've only got one black VRA district, which is illegal.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #472 on: September 30, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »

Based?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #473 on: September 30, 2021, 12:07:55 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #474 on: September 30, 2021, 12:12:47 PM »

WTF, they went back to the drawing board in Detroit and made the Dem packing worse??
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies