Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 06:58:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 155
Author Topic: Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results)  (Read 153922 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2175 on: February 04, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »

Come on IA Dems ... let’s get this over with and declare Pete the rightful winner of this caucus.

Based on what exactly? Because you want Pete to win?

Based on Nate Cohen's tweet I posted above, I think Pete ends up winning the SDEs and ends up with the most national delegates out of Iowa. Bernie wins the first alignment, very close between the two in the second alignment.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2176 on: February 04, 2020, 02:10:45 PM »

I think one of the lesser mentioned, but important - and worrying - stories out of last night is the much lower than expected turnout. People predicted 2008 numbers or higher, we didn't even hit 2016. And with all these candidates?

I keep seeing this talking point that turnout was lower than 2016.

First of all, how do we know that? Secondly, every report I saw early in the night suggested turnout was somewhere between 2016 and 2008.

The Sanders data (being at least somewhat representative geographically, so it's claimed) would suggest turnout of 180-210k people. What gives?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2177 on: February 04, 2020, 02:11:01 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2020, 02:20:20 PM by PA is Lean D »

I think one of the lesser mentioned, but important - and worrying - stories out of last night is the much lower than expected turnout. People predicted 2008 numbers or higher, we didn't even hit 2016. And with all these candidates?

I'm gonna wait until the primary states begin rolling in to start panicking about turnout.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2178 on: February 04, 2020, 02:11:07 PM »

The fact Buttigieg is confidently declaring victory while the Sanders campaign isn't doing much to dispute it leads me to think the victor was Pete.

If you read what Buttigieg actually said, it does not say or imply that he believes he cane in first.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2179 on: February 04, 2020, 02:11:10 PM »

Come on IA Dems ... let’s get this over with and declare Pete the rightful winner of this caucus.

Based on what exactly? Because you want Pete to win?

Chillax.

You don’t need to respond to everything that I post. Just wait for the official numbers and you will see that Pete won. The rural areas and suburbs did Sanders in.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #2180 on: February 04, 2020, 02:11:32 PM »

Really good statement put out by Bernie. Hopefully his surrogates and supporters will heed it along with everyone else
Roblox

« Reply #2181 on: February 04, 2020, 02:13:06 PM »

The fact Buttigieg is confidently declaring victory while the Sanders campaign isn't doing much to dispute it leads me to think the victor was Pete.

If you read what Buttigieg actually said, it does not say or imply that he believes he cane in first.

Yeah, he seemed to be low key qualifying it with vague stuff like "victory in our hearts".
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2182 on: February 04, 2020, 02:13:14 PM »

I'm cross-posting this from another thread.

This is Biden's real problem.  It's a lack of money that kills campaigns, and that's the challenge he's facing right now.  Say what you will about the ultimate electability of Sanders and Warren, but both of them have more than a million individual donors each.  They're both going to have the resources for the long haul, and that's no sure thing for Biden.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2183 on: February 04, 2020, 02:13:15 PM »

If Buttigieg won, he's the one that gets screwed over by the technical disaster-he was really counting on an Iowa bounce and he probably won't get it. Bernie will get a boost from New Hampshire anyway. New Hampshire are happy because they are even more important now.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2184 on: February 04, 2020, 02:15:18 PM »

Pete Buttigieg claims Iowa victory again

At his second official campaign stop of the day, former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg again claimed victory in Iowa.

“We are still waiting for some math but we have arrived with momentum .... and we’ve arrived victorious,” Buttigieg told the crowd in New Hampshire.

This is the second time Buttigieg has declared victory. Buttigieg claimed victory while speaking to supporters on Monday night. "By all indications, we are going on to New Hampshire victorious," he said

In an interview with CNN today, Buttigieg cited his campaign's internal data from the caucuses.

Remember: The outcome of the Iowa Democratic caucuses remains unknown. Iowa Democratic Party Chair Troy Price told Democratic campaigns on a call that the "majority of results" will be released by 5 p.m. ET today, a source said.

Sanders says he's "disappointed" with how last night went

Sen. Bernie Sanders told reporters that he was “disappointed” with how last night went and said it is not good for democracy, especially for people who came out to caucus for the first time.

"Obviously, I am disappointed. I suspect I could speak for all the candidates all of their supporters and the people of Iowa, that the Iowa Democratic Party has not been able to come up with timely election results. I can't understand why that happened but it has happened," he said.

Sanders said it was wrong of Joe Biden's campaign to cast doubts on the results and added that it was wrong for Pete Buttigieg to declare victory last night. Sanders said he thinks turnout will be in line with 2016, and he wished it was higher. Asked how he thinks Iowa Democratic Party Chair Troy Price has handled the situation, Sanders said he has not been talking to Price, and that his senior adviser has.

Asked if he got any sleep last night, Sanders said “not enough.”

https://us.cnn.com/politics/live-news/iowa-caucuses-live-results-coverage-2020/index.html

You should be muted from this thread if you're going to keep posting misleading information like this. Sanders clearly said he was disappointed by the DNC's ineptitude, not by the actual vote counts. The fact that you went out of your way to pull that misleading quote demonstrates that you're doing this deliberately to annoy people. I honestly can't tell if your behavior right now is due to genuinely liking Buttigieg, or if you're trying to make him look bad by being as obnoxious as possible in your support for him.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2185 on: February 04, 2020, 02:15:40 PM »

Really good statement put out by Bernie. Hopefully his surrogates and supporters will heed it along with everyone else

Bernie > Most Bernie Surrogates and Supporters
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2186 on: February 04, 2020, 02:16:03 PM »

An embarrassing mess this caucus is and certainly a laughingstock on the world stage. However, I don't see this diminishing Democratic chances for November. Nobody will care about this in a few weeks, much less will anybody change their vote in favor of Trump.

But I'm so disappointed Uncle Joe is apparently doing that poor. I even don't excuse this as him being "a bad fit" for the state's primary. Even if Iowa Democratic voters don't reflect his core base, he has been campaigning really hard and it didn't pay off. It's disappointing for sure because he's a fine person and would make a great president, but if he's connecting that poorly despite having served as vice president of a very popular president, whom he's friends with, then I have to admit that winning this nomination isn't happening. Let's see how February plays out. If Bernie is the nominee, I will support him because Trump needs to go and won't screw up that big. If Uncle Joe doesn't make it long into the primary, however, I'm going all in for Mike Bloomberg at first and Mayor Pete at second.

Im gonna wait till SC to see if Biden is finished or not. I went back and looked back at threads from last time , and we all thought Trump was finished after Iowa as he nearly finished 3rd to Rubio. We all thought the nomination was gonna be Rubio vs Cruz then

Trump was still leading in all major states at the time, including February contests. His decisive New Hampshire win and Kasich as second gave Trump huge momentum. Also, the Democratic primaries are different from Republican ones. John McCain also survived fourth place in 2008. I don't think this happens this time. We will see how polls are going now, but I predict Joe Biden will drop and lose his RCP average lead soon.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2187 on: February 04, 2020, 02:16:29 PM »

If Buttigieg won, he's the one that gets screwed over by the technical disaster-he was really counting on an Iowa bounce and he probably won't get it. Bernie will get a boost from New Hampshire anyway. New Hampshire are happy because they are even more important now.

If he’s declared the winner today, he’ll still get good coverage although an outright win without that mess would have been preferable.

NH is not a done deal then for Sanders, assuming Pete overperforms polls again.

But let’s first wait for the IA results to see if Pete is in fact declared the winner (as I suspect).
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2188 on: February 04, 2020, 02:16:44 PM »

I'm cross-posting this from another thread.

This is Biden's real problem.  It's a lack of money that kills campaigns, and that's the challenge he's facing right now.  Say what you will about the ultimate electability of Sanders and Warren, but both of them have more than a million individual donors each.  They're both going to have the resources for the long haul, and that's no sure thing for Biden.

Yeah, once you stop winning, the big donors disappear, and only small donors will stick around, and Biden doesn't have any small donors because literally no one is excited about his campaign, just a lot of people who think he's fine, maybe not as bad as others. Biden's campaign is going to be very short on cash during February.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2189 on: February 04, 2020, 02:17:51 PM »

I think Biden is done. He ain't going to win IA, he won't New Hampshire and Nevada as well. They're in huge Trouble.

If he comes indeed 4th or 5th you do wonder if that whole Hunter Biden/Burisma thing in the Impeachment Trail had a lingering effect of his Campaign.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2190 on: February 04, 2020, 02:19:08 PM »

And his campaign, which has David Sirota on staff, who claimed a Bernie win, and has sent out a blast e-mail claiming a Bernie win. Stop being so naive about Bernie. He's aware of the fact that what he's saying is the opposite of what the people he hired are saying. He's been doing this good cop bad cop two faced thing all year.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2191 on: February 04, 2020, 02:20:23 PM »

Regardless of the remaining uncounted votes I conclude that Sanders is the big winner here:

1) he almost certainly won the popular vote in Iowa, which is more important than the delegate count. It is all about perception.

2) his most dangerous opponent, Uncle Joe, had an AWFUL night.

3) his competitor as the leftist candidate, Warren, didn’t have the breakout night she needed.

4) while Buttigieg had a great night, the chaos ensures that he probably doesn’t get the large bump he badly needed to stay competitive.

5) the chaos fired up his supporters who see conspiracies everywhere they look.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2192 on: February 04, 2020, 02:20:30 PM »

I agree to 100%. Bernie himself is a good person and has noble intentions. I believe he sincerely aims to help working class people and doesn't want to be president for his ego, but he's not doing enough to call out certain behavior of some supporters (not all, but the "bros" with their cult are the loudest group of them). Aside from policy differences, my biggest reservation about Bernie are some of his people and the cult rather than the guy himself.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #2193 on: February 04, 2020, 02:21:19 PM »

An embarrassing mess this caucus is and certainly a laughingstock on the world stage. However, I don't see this diminishing Democratic chances for November. Nobody will care about this in a few weeks, much less will anybody change their vote in favor of Trump.

But I'm so disappointed Uncle Joe is apparently doing that poor. I even don't excuse this as him being "a bad fit" for the state's primary. Even if Iowa Democratic voters don't reflect his core base, he has been campaigning really hard and it didn't pay off. It's disappointing for sure because he's a fine person and would make a great president, but if he's connecting that poorly despite having served as vice president of a very popular president, whom he's friends with, then I have to admit that winning this nomination isn't happening. Let's see how February plays out. If Bernie is the nominee, I will support him because Trump needs to go and won't screw up that big. If Uncle Joe doesn't make it long into the primary, however, I'm going all in for Mike Bloomberg at first and Mayor Pete at second.
Thank you! Best post in a while. I finally have some faith in you. Bernie isn't a radical. He just advocates for proposals which were implemented a long time ago in Europe. He might be far-left but maybe it's the time America needs someone like Bernie who can seem to be a moderate, but can bring real change to thousands of lives at home, and that's what social democracy is about. And i'm glad you're finally referring to Sanders as "Bernie". Lots of respect for you back, even though i'm certainly feeling apathy towards a Biden bid.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2194 on: February 04, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »

Pete Buttigieg claims Iowa victory again

At his second official campaign stop of the day, former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg again claimed victory in Iowa.

“We are still waiting for some math but we have arrived with momentum .... and we’ve arrived victorious,” Buttigieg told the crowd in New Hampshire.

This is the second time Buttigieg has declared victory. Buttigieg claimed victory while speaking to supporters on Monday night. "By all indications, we are going on to New Hampshire victorious," he said

In an interview with CNN today, Buttigieg cited his campaign's internal data from the caucuses.

Remember: The outcome of the Iowa Democratic caucuses remains unknown. Iowa Democratic Party Chair Troy Price told Democratic campaigns on a call that the "majority of results" will be released by 5 p.m. ET today, a source said.

Sanders says he's "disappointed" with how last night went

Sen. Bernie Sanders told reporters that he was “disappointed” with how last night went and said it is not good for democracy, especially for people who came out to caucus for the first time.

"Obviously, I am disappointed. I suspect I could speak for all the candidates all of their supporters and the people of Iowa, that the Iowa Democratic Party has not been able to come up with timely election results. I can't understand why that happened but it has happened," he said.

Sanders said it was wrong of Joe Biden's campaign to cast doubts on the results and added that it was wrong for Pete Buttigieg to declare victory last night. Sanders said he thinks turnout will be in line with 2016, and he wished it was higher. Asked how he thinks Iowa Democratic Party Chair Troy Price has handled the situation, Sanders said he has not been talking to Price, and that his senior adviser has.

Asked if he got any sleep last night, Sanders said “not enough.”

https://us.cnn.com/politics/live-news/iowa-caucuses-live-results-coverage-2020/index.html

You should be muted from this thread if you're going to keep posting misleading information like this. Sanders clearly said he was disappointed by the DNC's ineptitude, not by the actual vote counts. The fact that you went out of your way to pull that misleading quote demonstrates that you're doing this deliberately to annoy people. I honestly can't tell if your behavior right now is due to genuinely liking Buttigieg, or if you're trying to make him look bad by being as obnoxious as possible in your support for him.

Consider this your final warning, Tender. Your reaction that you are generating isn't healthy for the thread.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2195 on: February 04, 2020, 02:22:34 PM »

I agree to 100%. Bernie himself is a good person and has noble intentions. I believe he sincerely aims to help working class people and doesn't want to be president for his ego, but he's not doing enough to call out certain behavior of some supporters (not all, but the "bros" with their cult are the loudest group of them). Aside from policy differences, my biggest reservation about Bernie are some of his people and the cult rather than the guy himself.

Yeah, every time I start warming to Bernie, I just remember some of the awful things his supporters have said and done.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2196 on: February 04, 2020, 02:23:35 PM »

Can we put to bed the idea of Biden being the most electable now his probably come in fourth?
Not really. Caucuses are a really bad fit for candidates with lukewarm supporters. In a binary choice between the hairsniffer and the pussygrabber, I still think the hairsniffer is slightly favoured. I can’t say the same for the socialist.

How is someone with "lukewarm supporters" possibly the most electable?

A rabid supporter has as many votes as a lukewarm supporter.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2197 on: February 04, 2020, 02:25:07 PM »

I think Biden is done. He ain't going to win IA, he won't New Hampshire and Nevada as well. They're in huge Trouble.

If he comes indeed 4th or 5th you do wonder if that whole Hunter Biden/Burisma thing in the Impeachment Trail had a lingering effect of his Campaign.

I think it’s more the culmination of everything about Biden’s campaign thus far being so utterly underwhelming doing him in
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #2198 on: February 04, 2020, 02:25:53 PM »

Ignore them. Everyone has such a group of supporters. I experience that too as a member of PVDA-PTB and I just ignore them or try to educate them. I know it can be very annoying, but it's about Bernie and the change he can bring to millions of people who really need it. Basic social rights for Americans, just like we have in Europe isn't radical. We have proven that. It's a necessity, and Bernie can provide that. He certainly is authentic and is a good person with noble intentions. That's why i'm so fiercely behind Bernie, and i'm sure if people like you hop on the Bernie train that his supporters base will become more & more friendly. And also a friendly reminder that twitter isn't the equivalent of people who support these campaigns. Otherwise Yang might have won the primary yesterday.

I'm also concerned about the people he choose to surround himself too. That's a major concern too me, but if the president is competent enough to choose a decent vice president, i'm sure he will have a progressive and diverse cabinet that isn't radical, aside of a few people which i might dislike. With Sanders it's not about Sanders himself, it's about us. Improving lives of basic Amerikan workers, even Trump voters.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #2199 on: February 04, 2020, 02:26:32 PM »

I think it’s more the culmination of everything about Biden’s campaign thus far being so utterly underwhelming doing him in

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 155  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies