Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 08:30:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 155
Author Topic: Iowa Caucus Results Thread (pg 148 - full results)  (Read 153855 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2020, 01:59:22 PM »

Looking good for Bernie is Keokuk.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2020, 01:59:48 PM »

Why is there an in-state satellite caucus? Is it just for local people who won't be able to attend tonight? If so, why does this group seem to almost uniquely have this type of allowance?

What, people who work the night shift at meat packing plants should not be able to vote?

These satellite caucuses are an improvement over the previous system and make it a bit fairer (a bit less biased to wealthy old whites who are more likely to be able to caucus on a weekday evening), although IIRC they still give less delegates than the regular caucus.

People working night shift should be able to vote, and they shouldn't have to go through the archaic Iowa caucus system to do it. But everything I've read about this anti-democratic process has led me to believe that such exceptions weren't really an option. Just from a definitional sense, calling an in-state early caucus a satellite caucus is confusing.

Also, not really the point, but it's debatable that this is an improvement over the old system. If these people truly couldn't have participated otherwise (which seems to be the case here) then it does include more people in the process. However, the reason that the virtual caucus was canceled was because people feared it would have pulled attendees away from the actual events and, in the process, weakened their representation when it came to total delegates. Same applies here.

The main reason the virtual cacuses were scrapped was the Iowa Democratic Party could not prove that they were secure from hacking.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2020, 02:01:29 PM »

Third round of satellite caucusing is starting in Dubuque, Fort Madison, Keokuk, Marshalltown, Waterloo and Glasgow, Scotland.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2020, 02:03:25 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2020, 02:09:25 PM by Ses »

[transcription]
Don_WGEM
@Don_WGEM
Handful of people on hand to satellite caucus in Keokuk. Just talked to a resident from St. Paul and a resident from 3 hours away in northern Iowa. She works in Keokuk and says she wouldn’t have been able to caucus if it wasn’t for this.

Looking good for Bernie is Keokuk.
Cinemark

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2020, 02:07:41 PM »

I know these satellite caucus probably wont be an accurate representation of the actual results, but I'm currently at the edge of my seat waiting for the results to come out. Ahh, how i've missed election coverage.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P P
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2020, 02:09:19 PM »

Also, not really the point, but it's debatable that this is an improvement over the old system. If these people truly couldn't have participated otherwise (which seems to be the case here) then it does include more people in the process. However, the reason that the virtual caucus was canceled was because people feared it would have pulled attendees away from the actual events and, in the process, weakened their representation when it came to total delegates. Same applies here.

The main reason the virtual cacuses were scrapped was the Iowa Democratic Party could not prove that they were secure from hacking.

I did not know that. Even so, the fact that the virtual caucus was capped at 10% of the delegates no matter the usage/turnout was frequently brought up as an issue. There was definitely discussion around that flaw in the system, even if it wasn't the ultimate reason for the cancellation of the process.
bilaps
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2020, 02:15:49 PM »

So the Warren supporter didn't realign to Sanders, so is their vote "exhausted"?

I think there isn't viability and non-viability for the satellite and international caucuses, they just get added in to the various other caucus totals (as they don't elect state delegates themselves, and that's what site-by-site viability is for). But I'm not certain on that.

They apparently do have viability and 2nd round realignment, but the Warren supporter declined to re-align.

And this result will be bundled together with other satellite caucus results in IA-02 and it considered as if it was another county in the district.

Not in the district, it will basicaly be like a 100th county statewide.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2020, 02:17:13 PM »

So the Warren supporter didn't realign to Sanders, so is their vote "exhausted"?

I think there isn't viability and non-viability for the satellite and international caucuses, they just get added in to the various other caucus totals (as they don't elect state delegates themselves, and that's what site-by-site viability is for). But I'm not certain on that.

They apparently do have viability and 2nd round realignment, but the Warren supporter declined to re-align.

And this result will be bundled together with other satellite caucus results in IA-02 and it considered as if it was another county in the district.

Not in the district, it will basicaly be like a 100th county statewide.

That's for the out of state and international satellite caucuses. The in-state caucuses will be assisgned to their respective congressional districts.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2020, 02:19:01 PM »

It's going to be a Sanders landslide, folks. 2004 all over again. After tonight, we will have a Democratic nominee.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2020, 02:23:01 PM »

It's going to be a Sanders landslide, folks. 2004 all over again. After tonight, we will have a Democratic nominee.

RIP Sanders
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2020, 02:23:50 PM »

RIP Sanders

RIP America...Roll on USSR!!!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2020, 02:25:49 PM »

I’m going to sleep now.

Back up at 3am or so when the first results come in ...
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2020, 02:27:46 PM »

You should stop talking before you jinx it.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »

Because of the small sample size of 9, these three groups were for Sanders, Mayor Pete, and Amy Klobuchar. One man was for Warren, but out of this group, you needed two in support of candidate in order to create a delegate. He said Bernie was his second choice. #Decision2020
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2020, 02:31:29 PM »

Klobuchar is surging! Watch out for flying combs!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »

I hope this broken clock is actually on time this time.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2020, 02:32:42 PM »

Bernie wins Keokuk satellite caucus with over 50%.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2020, 02:34:58 PM »

First round vote so far:

18 Sanders (75%)
  2 Buttigieg (8%)
  2 Klobuchar (8%)
  2 Warren (8%)

Second round vote:

19 Sanders (83%)
  2 Buttigieg (9%)
  2 Klobuchar (9%)
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2020, 02:36:00 PM »

Not a single person in these satellite caucuses has been for Biden so far... Could Biden really end up coming in 4th or even 5th?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2020, 02:36:06 PM »

[transcription]
Elaine Godfrey

@elainejgodfrey
Bernie Sanders has won this satellite caucus, with 5 people in his corner.

Klobuchar and Buttigieg each got 2. https://twitter.com/elainejgodfrey/status/1224414174958313479
Elaine Godfrey

@elainejgodfrey
Replying to @elainejgodfrey
This means that the viability = 15% of 9, which is 1.35, which rounds to 2 people.

So two people are required to make a candidate viable.

1:30 PM - Feb 3, 2020

Bernie wins Keokuk satellite caucus with over 50%.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2020, 02:36:56 PM »

Not a single person in these satellite caucuses has been for Biden so far... Could Biden really end up coming in 4th or even 5th?

Of course he could.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2020, 02:38:05 PM »

Will there be exit polls that ask about certain issues besides preference?

Like “who is most electable?”

Those were asked in 2016 and were useful
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2020, 02:39:30 PM »

I don't want to read too much into these super tiny early caucuses, but it is a little bit strange that there hasn't been anyone showing up for Biden yet. It'd be kinda funny if he just absolutely blows out every other caucus and ends up winning >30% lol
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2020, 02:40:29 PM »

Overreactions to initial results... this is the Atlas I know and love. Smiley
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2020, 02:40:48 PM »

I don't want to read too much into these super tiny early caucuses, but it is a little bit strange that there hasn't been anyone showing up for Biden yet. It'd be kinda funny if he just absolutely blows out every other caucus and ends up winning >30% lol

I mean, it's been a total of <30 people caucusing so far. Remember how often we get weird results in those tiny towns in New Hampshire that vote early?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 155  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies