COVID-19 Mega thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 05:25:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Mega thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 72
Poll
Question: What will Coronavirus be best remembered for?
The people who got sick and died

The economy crashing

The shutdown of social life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 171

Author Topic: COVID-19 Mega thread  (Read 132072 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: March 07, 2020, 06:31:17 PM »

AIPAC too:

Considering that most of these people are probably on the older side, that just makes it even more irresponsible for Trump to downplay the virus. He's probably one of the only people the audiences of these conventions listen to, does he really want to risk the lives of his own voters? Someone needs to put it that way to him and then maybe, finally he will take the pandemic seriously.

I've been to CPAC several times (not this year though), and it's actually a relatively young crowd because pretty much every college conservative organization tries to get their people there.

Also, while you may be theoretically contagious in the incubation period, it's much easier to spread it when you're coughing and sneezing on people, so I'd say that the risk is relatively low to most attendees of these conferences.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1001 on: March 07, 2020, 07:00:22 PM »

Also, while you may be theoretically contagious in the incubation period, it's much easier to spread it when you're coughing and sneezing on people, so I'd say that the risk is relatively low to most attendees of these conferences.

Can I see your MD, or is this just another "hunch" in the presidential sense of the word?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1002 on: March 07, 2020, 07:07:53 PM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1003 on: March 07, 2020, 07:10:46 PM »

Muriel Bowser is set to give a press conference at 7:30 ET to announce the first presumed positive case in DC. Politico is reporting this is separate from the CPAC and AIPAC cases.

My boss has been freaking out in the last couple of days, not just because of the potential for people to get sick, but because our jobs don't really lend themselves well to at-home work. It'll be interesting to see how DC as a whole tries to plan around this and how much day-to-day government work might have to change.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1004 on: March 07, 2020, 07:35:03 PM »

As poetic this is, and as deserved it is, this only makes the outbreak worse.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1005 on: March 07, 2020, 07:59:49 PM »

Can I see your MD, or is this just another "hunch" in the presidential sense of the word?

I don't have a MD, but I know this is a respiratory virus.  All of them are spread by droplets or physical contact, and one of those two means of transmission isn't particularly likely without coughing or sneezing.

This isn't truly airborne spread, which is very rare for diseases and far scarier (measles is the main one I can think of).  This disease is very real and very serious to some, but this whole thread reeks of irrational panic.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1006 on: March 07, 2020, 08:03:46 PM »

Reality and fake news are beginning to collide head-on.

If the spread of coronavirus eventually leads to conspiracy theories being discredited in Trumpist circles at least one good thing will have come out of it.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1007 on: March 07, 2020, 09:15:04 PM »

All my classes are starting to say they're cancelling lecture and moving the coursework online. My midterms are going to be take-home and open-notes now. Thanks, Coronavirus!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1008 on: March 07, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »

All my classes are starting to say they're cancelling lecture and moving the coursework online. My midterms are going to be take-home and open-notes now. Thanks, Coronavirus!

What school, if you don't mind sharing?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1009 on: March 07, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1010 on: March 07, 2020, 09:56:15 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/07/trump-coronavirus-management-style-123465

This isn't going to end well for us.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #1011 on: March 07, 2020, 11:02:18 PM »

Jesus Christ. All politics aside, Trump and his inner circle are f**king morons if they didn't take the possibility of an elderly, out-of-shape man getting COVID-19 seriously.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1012 on: March 07, 2020, 11:33:32 PM »

A study that claims "to certain extent, temperature could significant change COVID-19 transmission, and there might be a best temperature for the viral transmission", although I am not really sure what they are claiming that temperature to be. It appears to be about 46 F. If so, that explains why it has spread more slowly in the tropics and the southern hemisphere so far. Another study, however, disputes this.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.22.20025791v1.full.pdf+html

Death rate.

Officially 3,592 died and 59,922 recovered. The case fatality rate is steady at 5.7%.

The number of confirmed cases by Region:
Total overall: 106,027 (+3,841)
Hubei Province: 67,707 (+40)
Outside Hubei, China:  12,989 (+4)
South Korea: 7,134 (+367)
Italy: 5,883 (+1,247)
Iran: 5,823 (+1,076)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1013 on: March 07, 2020, 11:52:22 PM »

Jesus Christ. All politics aside, Trump and his inner circle are f**king morons if they didn't take the possibility of an elderly, out-of-shape man getting COVID-19 seriously.

Of course they are "f**king morons" - they've just spent three years proving it, again and again and again.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #1014 on: March 08, 2020, 12:17:21 AM »

Of course they are "f**king morons" - they've just spent three years proving it, again and again and again.

I mean, yeah, but this is stupidity that defies self-preservation.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1015 on: March 08, 2020, 12:17:51 AM »

I guess CPAC must be part of the conspiracy to bring down the Benedict Donald?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1016 on: March 08, 2020, 12:25:32 AM »

Coronavirus updates live: 1st case confirmed in nation's capital
The number of deaths from coronavirus in the U.S. has climbed to 19, nearly all of them in Washington state.

Two people have died in Florida, one in California and 16 in Washington state as hundreds of cases of infection have been reported around the country.

Worldwide, more than 100,000 people have been infected, according to Johns Hopkins University, and health experts are continuing to urge people to practice preventative measures, such as routine hand-washing, in order to avoid COVID-19.

It's such a shame that Mr. Trump can't even play the fiddle. (Now that I think about it, the lyre would definitely be more appropriate.)
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1017 on: March 08, 2020, 12:33:22 AM »

Hollywood
« Reply #1018 on: March 08, 2020, 01:01:05 AM »

A study that claims "to certain extent, temperature could significant change COVID-19 transmission, and there might be a best temperature for the viral transmission", although I am not really sure what they are claiming that temperature to be. It appears to be about 46 F. If so, that explains why it has spread more slowly in the tropics and the southern hemisphere so far. Another study, however, disputes this.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.22.20025791v1.full.pdf+html

Death rate.

Officially 3,592 died and 59,922 recovered. The case fatality rate is steady at 5.7%.

The number of confirmed cases by Region:
Total overall: 106,027 (+3,841)
Hubei Province: 67,707 (+40)
Outside Hubei, China:  12,989 (+4)
South Korea: 7,134 (+367)
Italy: 5,883 (+1,247)
Iran: 5,823 (+1,076)

Yeah that's a BS study.  The real culprit here is the relationship (perhaps now cooperation) between Coronavirus and all forms of Influenza, which has not been adequately studied enough.  These two viruses are able to mutate and coexist together because Corona is capable of finding different avenues of resources for duplication.  This is unlike Rhinovirus (common cold) that fights influenza for resources.  In the early 2000s, both of these viruses were mutating together in bats that sh**t in chicken coups, and that kicked off the Avian Flu and SARs.  What does Corona get out of the virus-virus relationship?  It's likely that the virus can spread more easily through more communicable viruses.  The correlation exists.  Both viruses prosper in the same environment, and they peak during the same period of the year.  

Check out the spike in influenza this year, which is another correlating signal.  It's like we're looking at the Inconvenient Truth graph.  At this point in time, we can no longer identify what strain of Influenza will be more prevalent, because yearly vaccinations are creating more diverse types of Influenza though mutations, shifts, and drifts of Influenza.  I believe they produce the shot for Type A cause that's usually the most prevalent, but apparently the CDC and other experts are saying they got it wrong.  They expect to see influenza A cases peak later on this year, so the vaccinations will be helpful later on.  At this time, the number of Covid-19 cases are increasing in Europe and the US where Influenza cases are also currently peaking.

What does this have to do with Corona?  The real scary part is that Covid-19 is developing a more symbiotic relationship with Influenza, which is mutating to survive and duplicate. Corona is able to duplicate without detection from the host that should be sending antibodies when its spikes grab onto the membrane tissue in the respiratory tract, and it leads to the development of more serious issues.  Now imagine all that with an influenza virus that is providing a piggy back for the Covid-19 virus.  
Hollywood
« Reply #1019 on: March 08, 2020, 01:04:20 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2020, 01:07:48 AM by Hollywood »

If he previously owned stock in the company, then he has already divested.  Your source is contradictory.  They obviously don't know the definition of divestment.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1020 on: March 08, 2020, 01:14:36 AM »

Believe they mean it is known that he previously owned stock and unknown if he still owns said stock.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1021 on: March 08, 2020, 01:18:58 AM »

What school, if you don't mind sharing?

UC Berkeley. One student has already been hospitalized with an "undiagnosed respiratory illness," so everyone here is freaking out.
Hollywood
« Reply #1022 on: March 08, 2020, 01:21:01 AM »

Believe they mean it is known that he previously owned stock and unknown if he still owns said stock.

I didn't want to read the report cause I knew it was just BS.  This what I found:

"UPDATE: Upon accessing Trump’s financial disclosures for 2018/2019, there is no current investment in Thermo Fisher Scientific listed. There are however still some concerning issues; this report only covers disclosures up to May 19, 2019, so any new acquisitions would not be listed. Moreover, there are still trust accounts listed, such as DJT Holdings, that do not detail the nature of the holdings and specify “entity's other holdings and assets are reported elsewhere” in the listing."

The article is completely idiotic, and a complete lie.  They try to justify the false reporting at the end.  
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1023 on: March 08, 2020, 03:07:00 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2020, 08:02:05 AM by Meclazine »

Meclazine's post is not helpful in any way really or adding relevant information to this thread. Especially when others such as Beet have provided such good info. Also at this point people need to take the stats presented by authorities and health officials as facts until proven otherwise.

Quoted for posterity.

I will have to pick myself back up off the canvas and move forward, re-assess my short term goals, and start again with my career after this reality check of my scientific credentials in the area of virological data analysis.

At this difficult time, I am requesting privacy and 2 litres of Cookies and Cream Ice Cream.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1024 on: March 08, 2020, 03:38:04 AM »

Coming soon to the USA (and many other countries, of course), unless we suddenly get our act in order.

Actually, it is probably too late to outright avoid this, but if we get our act in order now rather than later, maybe we can avoid having *too* much of this. Clearly this is not going to be pretty if and when we let it get to the point where millions of people are infected.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies