COVID-19 Mega thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 01:29:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Mega thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 72
Poll
Question: What will Coronavirus be best remembered for?
The people who got sick and died

The economy crashing

The shutdown of social life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 171

Author Topic: COVID-19 Mega thread  (Read 132658 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: March 12, 2020, 09:16:31 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1476 on: March 12, 2020, 09:19:18 AM »

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1477 on: March 12, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »

For those wanting math explained, and those doubting the severity of this situation, please read this whole article. It's long, but it explains things in easy to digest ways.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1478 on: March 12, 2020, 09:25:36 AM »

At what point does societal breakdown occur where people are mugging/murdering each other over toilet paper and such?

I'd say it's when hospitals have to start triaging patients wartime-style, so not far beyond where Italy is now. It's hard to overemphasize the potential threat of an overwhelmed medical system, far beyond just people dying from one specific disease.

Totally unrelated but Crumpets your sig has always been one of my favorites lol.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1479 on: March 12, 2020, 09:29:12 AM »

For those wanting math explained, and those doubting the severity of this situation, please read this whole article. It's long, but it explains things in easy to digest ways.

Long but terrific, clear and understandable.  Thank you for posting it.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1480 on: March 12, 2020, 09:29:48 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1481 on: March 12, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »

How far have we come if it's not possible to have coordinated and NON-partisan response to a global health crisis like this? Seriously?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1482 on: March 12, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »

This whole thing has triggered a major flare-up in my anxiety and depression. I'm struggling to stay hpeful.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1483 on: March 12, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »

How far have we come if it's not possible to have coordinated and NON-partisan response to a global health crisis like this? Seriously?

The replies are just awful.  Some hoping KM and his family get wiped out by the virus, others applauding not giving into the Democrat hoax. 

Really, people?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1484 on: March 12, 2020, 09:41:26 AM »

In the current situation you should probably trust your state governments more than the federal government. If someone's going to pull the chestnuts out of the fire it will probably your governor.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1485 on: March 12, 2020, 09:45:43 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2020, 10:13:03 AM by Filuwaúrdjan »

I do need some help with these kinds of figures. Many seemingly expert or reliable sources have suggested that anywhere between 30-80% of the overall population may expect to be infected even in a "positive" outcome where infections are spread out over a longer timeframe. How exactly does this tally with the figures out of South Korea and China that show infections on the decline or at least exhibiting slowing growth? Are they expected to stabilize at some level and remain there for an extended period?

This is quite simple: quoted figures about projected case numbers of proportion of the population likely to be infected are rough estimates for what one would expect for a new flu-like contagious respiratory infection against which there is no immunity in the population. Precisely because this is new, we don't actually know how accurate these assumptions are, but they are of the sort that it is best that public health authorities use as the grounding for their policies, even if they turn out not to be. Does that make sense?

We* know a remarkable amount about this virus considering how new it is, and that's a very good thing, but we still don't know much about it, precisely because it is so new. People who tell you otherwise are bluffers.

*Well, you and I don't, obviously. But relevant scientists do.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1486 on: March 12, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »

Everything is partisan in 2020. Its hard to see how that will end any time soon.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1487 on: March 12, 2020, 09:58:29 AM »

This whole thing has triggered a major flare-up in my anxiety and depression. I'm struggling to stay hpeful.

The article was written by the author of other noted classics in the field of epidemiology such as '8 Reasons Why Your Ad Attribution Approach Is Wrong' and 'What I Learned Building a Horoscope That Blew Up On Facebook'.

Anyway, if following this causing a major flare-up of serious mental health issues, then I would urge you to stop following this.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1488 on: March 12, 2020, 10:25:39 AM »

A new study finds that warmer temperatures are unlikely to contain virus spread. Will have just a minor effect. The study has not officialy been published and verified, but from a credible source of American scientists.

Projecting the transmission dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 through the post-pandemic period

There is an urgent need to project how transmission of the novel betacoronavirus SARS-CoV-2 will unfold in coming years. These dynamics will depend on seasonality, the duration of immunity, and the strength of cross-immunity to/from the other human coronaviruses. Using data from the United States, we measured how these factors affect transmission of human betacoronaviruses HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-HKU1. We then built a mathematical model to simulate transmission of SARS-CoV-2 through the year 2025. We project that recurrent wintertime outbreaks of SARS-CoV-2 will probably occur after an initial pandemic wave. We summarize the full range of plausible transmission scenarios and identify key data still needed to distinguish between them, most importantly longitudinal serological studies to determine the duration of immunity to SARS-CoV-2.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1489 on: March 12, 2020, 10:29:39 AM »

The legislation, as it stands now, includes provisions for free testing for coronavirus, bolstering of unemployment insurance, paid medical leave for those out of work due to the disease and additional money to ensure children continue to get subsidized lunches if schools close.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/12/kevin-mccarthy-republicans-to-oppose-democratic-coronavirus-bill-126962

Not even an explanation as to why Republicans are against this.  It's like they want to get slaughtered in November.

I mean, what even is their thought process here?  Killing people to own the libs?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1490 on: March 12, 2020, 10:31:30 AM »

The legislation, as it stands now, includes provisions for free testing for coronavirus, bolstering of unemployment insurance, paid medical leave for those out of work due to the disease and additional money to ensure children continue to get subsidized lunches if schools close.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/12/kevin-mccarthy-republicans-to-oppose-democratic-coronavirus-bill-126962

Not even an explanation as to why Republicans are against this.  It's like they want to get slaughtered in November.

I mean, what even is their thought process here?  Killing people to own the libs?

Anything that might cost businesses money = bad.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1491 on: March 12, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon confirms that UK is moving from Containment to Delay phase of Coronavirus plan.

That means that sports matches, public assembly and school attendence could be under review.

Sturgeon jumped the gun, and held a press conference before the Prime Minister, so details are sketchy at the moment.

It's now expected that there will be significant transmission, it's just a question of how much we can 'flatten the curve'.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1492 on: March 12, 2020, 11:01:28 AM »

♫♫♫♫
Everything is partisan in its own way
Like a starry summer night or a snow covered winter's day.
Ah, sing it Forum
Everybody's partisan in their own way
Under Trump's genius, corona gonna come and stay.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1493 on: March 12, 2020, 11:02:00 AM »

Randian extremism. Next question.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1494 on: March 12, 2020, 11:04:24 AM »

Most college basketball conference tournaments are being canceled this morning.  I expect the NCAA tournament will follow suit shortly.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1495 on: March 12, 2020, 11:07:53 AM »

Most college basketball conference tournaments are being canceled this morning.  I expect the NCAA tournament will follow suit shortly.

Let's just give Louisville the title to make up for stealing their 2013 banner.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1496 on: March 12, 2020, 11:08:48 AM »

Breaking: Trudeau is self-isolating

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1497 on: March 12, 2020, 11:11:20 AM »

This feels like a Trump induced public health issue:

I was supposed to be over the Atlantic, heading east, at the time that Trump was making his announcement. I panicked the day before and cancelled. I am so glad!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1498 on: March 12, 2020, 11:14:31 AM »

I was supposed to be over the Atlantic, heading east, at the time that Trump was making his announcement. I panicked the day before and cancelled. I am so glad!

I was going to be in Paris for the weekend, and United would never kick me off a flight, but I'm glad I canceled, too.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1499 on: March 12, 2020, 11:24:58 AM »

WTF?

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies