2020 New York Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 10:26:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 New York Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 85
Author Topic: 2020 New York Redistricting  (Read 104505 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: April 27, 2022, 03:16:02 PM »
« edited: April 27, 2022, 03:25:23 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

The one good thing for Democrats, is that the guy who is drawing the NY maps is the same dude who drew the PA map.
Oh really? Thank god.
Ok, I take back what I said lol

So he'll be drawing what should be the final map ?

Not necessarily, as the Steuben County judge will get to actually pick the final map but will have to use this dude for consultation.  

The two questions are now,

Is Cervas biased towards Democrats or biased towards partisan fairness?.  If its the latter than a fairly natural map should take place.

If he is biased towards Democrats, how far can he skew the map?

From what I recall, there was a big emphasis based on least change in his PA map. That's partly why we ended up with the suburban fajitas outside Philly. I wonder if we'll see simillar here?

It'll be tricky though since it's harder to pick which district to actually cut upstate and by nature of population change a lot of districts will need to pretty dramatically change

I am talking about the legislative maps by the way.

It's actually really easy in NY to draw least change. Downstate barely changes, and you push Hudson Valley north. Tenney's seat gets cut but Delgado's seat becomes a Trump seat by a few points.

Oh mb. I mean his map still split Lancaster in the State Sen so prolly more just the proportionality piece.

http://jonathancervas.com/

Just by looking at his website, he def leans left based on his publications. However he seems level headed and likely to draw a map that’s overall neutral. My biggest questions regarding partisanship (assuming no dramatic shake ups) are:

If NY-01 and NY-02 stay in their current orientation?
-Is a Jewish seat created?
-Where is Staten Island attached to NYC (as the consequence of a potential Asian districts)
-Do NY-18 and NY-17 continue to be stacked or will it be East-West? (Stacked prolly means 2 Biden districts, East west prolly means a highly competitive and likely D district)
-Does NY-19 take in Broome County or redder rurals?
-How is Syracuse seat drawn? Is it attached to redder rurals to the north or placed with Ithaca or Utica? (It’ll be a Biden seat, the question is by how much?)
-Will an Ithaca and other college town based NY-23 have the potential to be competitive?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1076 on: April 27, 2022, 03:16:41 PM »

So the only two hard gerrymanders the Dems have left really are Illinois and Oregon.   Everything else is pretty mild. 
New Mexico?

I mean, that's really just 1 seat, and it's not safe D even, more just tossup or tilt D in a neutral year.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1077 on: April 27, 2022, 03:19:03 PM »

So the only two hard gerrymanders the Dems have left really are Illinois and Oregon.   Everything else is pretty mild. 
New Mexico?

I mean, that's really just 1 seat, and it's not safe D even, more just tossup or tilt D in a neutral year.
Isn't NM-02 still likely R despite being a Biden district?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1078 on: April 27, 2022, 03:21:35 PM »

The one good thing for Democrats, is that the guy who is drawing the NY maps is the same dude who drew the PA map.
Oh really? Thank god.
Ok, I take back what I said lol

So he'll be drawing what should be the final map ?

Not necessarily, as the Steuben County judge will get to actually pick the final map but will have to use this dude for consultation.  

The two questions are now,

Is Cervas biased towards Democrats or biased towards partisan fairness?.  If its the latter than a fairly natural map should take place.

If he is biased towards Democrats, how far can he skew the map?

From what I recall, there was a big emphasis based on least change in his PA map. That's partly why we ended up with the suburban fajitas outside Philly. I wonder if we'll see simillar here?

It'll be tricky though since it's harder to pick which district to actually cut upstate and by nature of population change a lot of districts will need to pretty dramatically change

I am talking about the legislative maps by the way.

It's actually really easy in NY to draw least change. Downstate barely changes, and you push Hudson Valley north. Tenney's seat gets cut but Delgado's seat becomes a Trump seat by a few points.

Oh mb. I mean his map still split Lancaster in the State Sen so prolly more just the proportionality piece.

There was a lot of other finagling in the state senate map. Dems got a Scrantonmander to get them 2 seats there for example so I don't think he had much influence for the senate map.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1079 on: April 27, 2022, 03:28:04 PM »

So Democrats need to have fair maps because Democrats need to play by the rules, but Republicans are free to gerrymander all they want because they don't believe in rules, great.

Exactly, if your opposition to gerrymandering is sincere and not a political posture.
This is like a Susan Collins/Joe Manchin sort of take.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1080 on: April 27, 2022, 03:34:24 PM »

So Democrats need to have fair maps because Democrats need to play by the rules, but Republicans are free to gerrymander all they want because they don't believe in rules, great.

Exactly, if your opposition to gerrymandering is sincere and not a political posture.

I mean obviously we should strike down Republican maps too, but if you're opposed to gerrymandering you should celebrate this ruling even if it costs Democrats a couple of seats.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1081 on: April 27, 2022, 03:34:42 PM »

There we go, finally some state D reaction.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1082 on: April 27, 2022, 03:35:07 PM »

I have an idea, and it may hurt us in some states but it's better for us honestly......

Work with GOP groups and argue to SCOTUS that only commissions and legislatures can draw maps and not special masters! This would hurt us in PA and NC but NC SC is going to flip in 2022 anyway so it really is moot. PA is likely to have a GOP governor and the court could also flip sometime in the decade.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1083 on: April 27, 2022, 03:35:18 PM »

Here is a map simillar to the one someone posted earlier but this time with a full NYC. It is 22-4. 2 of the R seats would be competitive as well as a few Dem seats. A map like this would be hard to argue against.

The Asian opportunity seat argument for NY-11 is smart

https://davesredistricting.org/join/0347f91a-b6aa-4198-aecb-fb6b924e5c81

To me by the way the justices were questioning, Garcia seems likely to find the map guilty whereas Garcia, Troutman, and Wilson seem to be leaning to leaving the map in place or at least giving the leg a second shot.

The others didn't really question much.

This map is sorta Florida style in that it's largely clean and has justifiable COIs, however, quite a few seats could fall in a bad year for Dems. However, by and large they should usually win over 20 seats when it matters.

I would say a map like this would be Dems best case scenario (Rs best case is a few posts above)

The special master designated to assist in the maps seems to lean left and talks a lot about non-majorities outcome so if a map such as this is adopted, it’d likely come somewhere from that perspective. I think that’s unlikely though.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1084 on: April 27, 2022, 03:46:05 PM »

Ouch they even lost on the senate map, which even the "R hack" Stueben County judge didn't strike down. Eerily similar to Florida's 2010 case.

That is incorrect. Justice McAllister struck down the State Senate and even Assembly maps, even though nobody contested the Assembly's map.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1085 on: April 27, 2022, 03:46:25 PM »

The Democrats should just ignore this legally meritless ruling and print primary ballots for the legislature map’s district lines
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1086 on: April 27, 2022, 03:46:45 PM »

Also really not a fan of calling a Republican South Brooklyn district a "Jewish seat" but not, say, a hipster seat with Williamsburg and Borough Park--their Jewish percentages are probably comparable!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1087 on: April 27, 2022, 03:49:39 PM »

The Democrats should just ignore this legally meritless ruling and print primary ballots for the legislature map’s district lines

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

The decision was actually 5-2 or 4-2-1. The Hochul appointee, Judge Troutman, ruled that the proper process to pass the maps wasn't followed, too. She dissented from the remedy, and would have given the legislature a chance to cure by passing one of the 2 IRC maps with up to a 2% difference.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1088 on: April 27, 2022, 03:53:01 PM »

I mean obviously we should strike down Republican maps too, but if you're opposed to gerrymandering you should celebrate this ruling even if it costs Democrats a couple of seats.
No either all gerrymanders get struck down or none do, having only one party's get struck down is even more unfair than gerrymandering as a whole.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1089 on: April 27, 2022, 03:54:56 PM »

No either all gerrymanders get struck down or none do, having only one party's get struck down is even more unfair than gerrymandering as a whole.

Republicans have had seats struck down too this cycle--it's not like NY is the only place where this has happened.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1090 on: April 27, 2022, 03:57:01 PM »

Republicans have had seats struck down too this cycle--it's not like NY is the only place where this has happened.
But SCOTUS will restore those seats. I bet NY courts also require a new Republican Orthodox district in Brooklyn to be drawn as well, in the best case scenario for the NYGOP.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1091 on: April 27, 2022, 03:58:05 PM »

Yes but if Republicans are absolute f[inks] ing trash (which they are) and follow am authoritarian sociopathic piece of sh!t (which they do) then anything that would hurt them is good.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1092 on: April 27, 2022, 04:00:33 PM »

Where does this 2% concept come from? I can't find it in the redistricting law myself.

I think it's from a law the legislature passed a while back. I can't find a cite either. They might have repealed it in the interim.

Edit: It's Section 3 of the bill passed in 2012 establishing the commission:

§  3. Any amendments by the senate or assembly to a redistricting plan
    31  submitted by the independent redistricting commission, shall not  affect
    32  more  than  two  percent  of the population of any district contained in
    33  such plan.  If two or more plans for districts in the  same  legislative
    34  house or for congressional districts are submitted by the commission and
    35  voted  upon  by the legislature, such plans shall be considered individ-
    36  ually and not combined.

See Assembly bill A 9557 (2012) here:
http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/navigate.cgi?NVDTO:

Does this mean that any map has to be similar to "Names" or "Letters"?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1093 on: April 27, 2022, 04:14:06 PM »

Thinking about it, imo the best way to draw the Brooklyn-SI area is to do a likely D bordering on safe Staten Island seat with Latino parts of Sunset Park and a Republican Southern Brooklyn seat that also includes the area's large Chinese community.

Drawing a Republican Staten Island seat in practical terms entails splitting up this massive, predominantly Chinese section of Brooklyn which seems fairly coherent.

It's too big to fit in a Staten Island district without leaving out places like Bay Ridge which should obviously go in there, and having Staten Island avoid it requires a pretty gerrymandered shape if you still want it to take in places like Borough Park.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1094 on: April 27, 2022, 04:16:15 PM »

Yes but if Republicans are absolute f[inks] ing trash (which they are) and follow am authoritarian sociopathic piece of sh!t (which they do) then anything that would hurt them is good.

I loathe the GOP with a passion! I just still think that voter supression that hurts Republicans is still bad.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1095 on: April 27, 2022, 04:17:23 PM »

I loathe the GOP with a passion! I just still think that voter supression that hurts Republicans is still bad.
Gerrymandering isn't voter suppression, though.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1096 on: April 27, 2022, 04:20:01 PM »

Make the Judges enforce their own ruling!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1097 on: April 27, 2022, 04:20:17 PM »

Thinking about it, imo the best way to draw the Brooklyn-SI area is to do a likely D bordering on safe Staten Island seat with Latino parts of Sunset Park and a Republican Southern Brooklyn seat that also includes the area's large Chinese community.

Drawing a Republican Staten Island seat in practical terms entails splitting up this massive, predominantly Chinese section of Brooklyn which seems fairly coherent.

It's too big to fit in a Staten Island district without leaving out places like Bay Ridge which should obviously go in there, and having Staten Island avoid it requires a pretty gerrymandered shape if you still want it to take in places like Borough Park.
Imo, this is far from the worst way you could draw the area. A very logical Southern Brooklyn seat could be drawn in this way.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1098 on: April 27, 2022, 04:37:31 PM »

Make the Judges enforce their own ruling!
I wish I could find the Chanel Oberlin clip when she says she's ignoring the verdict lol
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1099 on: April 27, 2022, 04:44:12 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2022, 04:49:28 PM by lfromnj »

lol

We stilll got this atleast?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length