Impeachment Megathread Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:53:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Impeachment Megathread Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 78
Author Topic: Impeachment Megathread Part 3  (Read 78213 times)
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: February 05, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »

Doug Jones will vote to convict.

Thanks Doug for giving us your Senate Seat on a Silver Plate Smiley

2020 Senate Elections: R+1 thus far
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1626 on: February 05, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »

Good. Glad he's following his conscience like he did with the Kavanaugh vote. Hopefully this means Manchin and Sinema will do the same.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1627 on: February 05, 2020, 11:14:38 AM »

Good. Glad he's following his conscience like he did with the Kavanaugh vote. Hopefully this means Manchin and Sinema will do the same.

Manchin is still a toss-up.  But (and I will probably end up eating my words later), I can't see a scenario where Jones believes that there's enough evidence to vote YES on conviction for both articles and Sinema does not. 
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1628 on: February 05, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »

My respect for him just went up a lot.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1629 on: February 05, 2020, 11:56:52 AM »

Doug Jones is a FF.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1630 on: February 05, 2020, 11:57:50 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1631 on: February 05, 2020, 11:59:24 AM »

Like these votes really matter, and you need 67 not 51 to convict, just like voting in Clinton trial, 50 split didnt matter either, with no live witnesses 😩😩😩
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1632 on: February 05, 2020, 12:00:33 PM »

Good for him!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1633 on: February 05, 2020, 12:13:54 PM »

Announce a third party run Mitt
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1634 on: February 05, 2020, 12:22:06 PM »

You're really going for the ending that no one ever gets in this choose-your-own-adventure book, aren't you?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1635 on: February 05, 2020, 12:29:41 PM »

You're really going for the ending that no one ever gets in this choose-your-own-adventure book, aren't you?

It really doesn’t matter at this point which way he votes at all because it’s not gonna change a thing.

What will change a thing is if he announces a third party run for president of the United States as that will have huge effects in 2020 and then force the GOP to appeal to those Romney voters the same way they had to appeal to Perot Voters if they ever are gonna unite the party and win an election again
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1636 on: February 05, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »

Exactly as I predicted. Jones knows that he is DOA, and he would not win reelection even if he voted to acquit Trump, in part because of the reasons that I laid out previously. With this move, he has earned himself a strong following among the national Democratic Party, and will almost certainly be considered by a future Democratic Administration for a cabinet post as a reward.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1637 on: February 05, 2020, 12:39:07 PM »

You mean Attoney General Doug Jones
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1638 on: February 05, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »

Do we know how Arizona Senator Kyrsten Sinema will vote on this?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1639 on: February 05, 2020, 12:57:53 PM »

Not yet.  It's hard to see a scenario where Jones votes to convict and Sinema votes to acquit, so I'd say that the GOP's precious bipartisan vote will likely come from Manchin.  But it wouldn't completely shock me if Sinema votes to acquit as well.  
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1640 on: February 05, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »

She's not up until 2024 and won her seat in an anti-Trump wave. I'd be astounded if she voted to acquit.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1641 on: February 05, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »

She's not up until 2024 and won her seat in an anti-Trump wave. I'd be astounded if she voted to acquit.

By the time she's up again in 2024, she would likely be running in a Lean D state.

She might as well beef up her credentials by voting to remove trump.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1642 on: February 05, 2020, 01:16:42 PM »

Kyrsten Sinema seems to want to cultivate this image of "maverick" independent in the tradition of previous Arizona senators. I hope this is all for show.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1643 on: February 05, 2020, 01:31:35 PM »

What a hero. Imagine a world where all 100 senators will willing to place country above party and above self.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1644 on: February 05, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »

Any final vote predictions?

I'll say 56-44 to acquit (all Republicans plus Manchin, Jones, and Sinema).

Thus, I'm expecting him to vote his conscience, and to vote to convict.

The weasel doesn’t have a conscience.

I would disagree. Jones is an establishment liberal Democrat, and has never made any attempt to hide that. Voting for conviction is exactly what one would expect such a Democrat to do.

One who doesn't have a true conscience, however, is Mitt Romney. I expect him to vote for acquittal tomorrow, just like how Jeff Flake ultimately voted for Kavanaugh. Romney has shifted his positions constantly over the years, and he's not adverse to doing it again. If he votes to convict Trump-which is very unlikely, in my view-then his political career will be over.

Romney's angle is clear: He's pro-establishment and anti-Trump. Trump changed the Republican Party, and Romney wants to keep the old guard in place. Romney doesn't like that the GOP is changing. Romney is attempting to disrupt Trump at every turn, but like you said, if it turns out that something isn't going to pass, he's not going to die on the hill most likely. Romney is going to act like he was always against the impeachment/removal, when if he was the deciding vote, he'd vote to remove Trump from office tomorrow. Romney picks his moments.

Don't forget that Romney tried to obtain the Secretaryship of State from Trump, and that he was effectively blindsided when Trump chose Rex Tillerson instead. The fact that Romney was cozying up to Trump for a time is indicative of the way in which he shifts his views for his own convenience. And you are right that Romney is pro-establishment, but the problem is that the establishment is now firmly in Trump's corner, as exemplified by McConnell, McCarthy, Scalise, Barrasso, Graham, etc. Trump has given McConnell what he wanted with judges and tax cuts, and McConnell is firmly on the Trump Train.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1645 on: February 05, 2020, 01:54:21 PM »

I would disagree. Jones is an establishment liberal Democrat, and has never made any attempt to hide that. Voting for conviction is exactly what one would expect such a Democrat to do.

One who doesn't have a true conscience, however, is Mitt Romney. I expect him to vote for acquittal tomorrow, just like how Jeff Flake ultimately voted for Kavanaugh. Romney has shifted his positions constantly over the years, and he's not adverse to doing it again. If he votes to convict Trump-which is very unlikely, in my view-then his political career will be over.

Romney's angle is clear: He's pro-establishment and anti-Trump. Trump changed the Republican Party, and Romney wants to keep the old guard in place. Romney doesn't like that the GOP is changing. Romney is attempting to disrupt Trump at every turn, but like you said, if it turns out that something isn't going to pass, he's not going to die on the hill most likely. Romney is going to act like he was always against the impeachment/removal, when if he was the deciding vote, he'd vote to remove Trump from office tomorrow. Romney picks his moments.

Don't forget that Romney tried to obtain the Secretaryship of State from Trump, and that he was effectively blindsided when Trump chose Rex Tillerson instead. The fact that Romney was cozying up to Trump for a time is indicative of the way in which he shifts his views for his own convenience. And you are right that Romney is pro-establishment, but the problem is that the establishment is now firmly in Trump's corner, as exemplified by McConnell, McCarthy, Scalise, Barrasso, Graham, etc. Trump has given McConnell what he wanted with judges and tax cuts, and McConnell is firmly on the Trump Train.

I disagree with the Kavanugh argument as the case for convicting Trump on Abuse of Power is much stronger than it was for rejecting Kavanugh based on the allegations(The Kavanugh one was more similar to Article II in which Trump should be acquitted on)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1646 on: February 05, 2020, 01:55:24 PM »

I like Mitt Romney.  I've always considered him a principled person and a gentleman.  But I firmly believe that we will only have one cross-party vote (and it's not going to be Romney).  

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1647 on: February 05, 2020, 01:56:18 PM »

I disagree with the Kavanugh argument as the case for convicting Trump on Abuse of Power is much stronger than it was for rejecting Kavanugh based on the allegations(The Kavanugh one was more similar to Article II in which Trump should be acquitted on)

OSR, I think it was you who said that you think I would likely vote to convict on Article I but acquit on Article II if I was a sitting senator.  You pretty much nailed it. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1648 on: February 05, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »

OSR, I think it was you who said that you think I would likely vote to convict on Article I but acquit on Article II if I was a sitting senator.  You pretty much nailed it. 

I just stayed my views lol and since we are similar politically, I guessed you would have a similar opinion too lol
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1649 on: February 05, 2020, 02:03:18 PM »

Romney is up and speaking.  About fifteen seconds in, he stated that he was "religious" and had to pause to compose himself. 
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies