Impeachment Megathread Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 06:25:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Impeachment Megathread Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 78
Author Topic: Impeachment Megathread Part 3  (Read 78244 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: February 04, 2020, 10:32:31 PM »

Good God. Manufacturing criminal prosecutions as political payback. Even this is impeachable. Is there any Republican or conservative out there reading this who isn't a complete scumbag who can defend this? Or do you just not care anymore? Party over country, party over country.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1601 on: February 04, 2020, 10:36:04 PM »

In her speech before the Senate, Susan Collins (R-ME) has announced that he will vote to acquit President Trump tomorrow. 
Well she's going to lose.

As if she would have been more likely to win if she had voted to remove him lol.

Well ... yeah. She doesn't have a primary challenger.

It's a devil's dilemma for Collins either way. Vote to convict, and get primaried. Vote to acquit (as she will tomorrow), and lose (possibly) the general election.

I literally just said she doesn't have a primary challenger. You quoted the post. She will not be primaried.

I mean, she could lose the general election if Republicans just refuse to vote for her in November and hand the seat to the Democrat, but that's not likely, especially with Maine's ranked choice system giving Trumpists the ability to vote 3rd party as the first choice but still rank Collins above her Democratic opponent.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1602 on: February 04, 2020, 11:04:52 PM »

1. She doesn’t have a primary challenger right now, but that would obviously change fairly quickly if she voted to remove.
2. Pandering to Democrats obsessed with impeachment who are never going to vote for you regardless of what you do at the expense of alienating your base (which also happens to be fairly large in your state) would have been a mind-bogglingly dumb miscalculation.
3. Many Trumpists most likely wouldn’t have ranked Collins above her Democratic challenger even if they had voted 3rd party as the first choice because these people are incredibly uncompromising. They outright would have refused to vote for her.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1603 on: February 04, 2020, 11:07:22 PM »

In her speech before the Senate, Susan Collins (R-ME) has announced that he will vote to acquit President Trump tomorrow. 
Well she's going to lose.

As if she would have been more likely to win if she had voted to remove him lol.

Well ... yeah. She doesn't have a primary challenger.

It's a devil's dilemma for Collins either way. Vote to convict, and get primaried. Vote to acquit (as she will tomorrow), and lose (possibly) the general election.

I literally just said she doesn't have a primary challenger. You quoted the post. She will not be primaried.

I mean, she could lose the general election if Republicans just refuse to vote for her in November and hand the seat to the Democrat, but that's not likely, especially with Maine's ranked choice system giving Trumpists the ability to vote 3rd party as the first choice but still rank Collins above her Democratic opponent.

I know what you said, and I know she's not being primaried. But that doesn't change my point. Regardless of what Collins does, she damages her position and her chances at being reelected. There are few if any alternatives that she can take to shore herself up. An example of this is the vote on witnesses. In an attempt to appease Democrats and independents, she cast a worthless vote in favor of hearing from witnesses. But now, in an attempt to appease Republicans, she is voting to acquit Trump. It's going to all damage her.

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1604 on: February 04, 2020, 11:41:24 PM »

Any final vote predictions?

I'll say 56-44 to acquit (all Republicans plus Manchin, Jones, and Sinema).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1605 on: February 04, 2020, 11:57:05 PM »

Subtract Jones from that list, and this would be my guess as well. Sinema's behavior tonight, with her being the only Democrat to applaud much of what Trump said-i.e. when he mentioned opportunity zones-and her demonstrated willingness to buck the party line-as seen through her voting record-suggests to me that she is leaning towards acquittal. Manchin comes from the most Trump-supportive state of any Democrat (and West Virginia will be outraged if he votes to convict), and he condemned the "partisan nature" of Trump's impeachment in his Senate speech.

Given this, and given that he knows his vote won't be critical to the final outcome, just like with Kavanaugh, he should vote to acquit. As for Jones, he knows that he is DOA in the general this fall, and he has voted much more in line with the Democratic caucus than Manchin and Sinema-much more like Tester (the only red-state Democrat voting to convict). Moreover, turnout among the Democratic base would be depressed if he voted for acquittal. Thus, I'm expecting him to vote his conscience, and to vote to convict.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1606 on: February 05, 2020, 12:27:14 AM »

Thus, I'm expecting him to vote his conscience, and to vote to convict.

The weasel doesn’t have a conscience.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1607 on: February 05, 2020, 12:34:11 AM »

I would disagree. Jones is an establishment liberal Democrat, and has never made any attempt to hide that. Voting for conviction is exactly what one would expect such a Democrat to do.

One who doesn't have a true conscience, however, is Mitt Romney. I expect him to vote for acquittal tomorrow, just like how Jeff Flake ultimately voted for Kavanaugh. Romney has shifted his positions constantly over the years, and he's not adverse to doing it again. If he votes to convict Trump-which is very unlikely, in my view-then his political career will be over.
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #1608 on: February 05, 2020, 05:49:45 AM »

I would disagree. Jones is an establishment liberal Democrat, and has never made any attempt to hide that. Voting for conviction is exactly what one would expect such a Democrat to do.

One who doesn't have a true conscience, however, is Mitt Romney. I expect him to vote for acquittal tomorrow, just like how Jeff Flake ultimately voted for Kavanaugh. Romney has shifted his positions constantly over the years, and he's not adverse to doing it again. If he votes to convict Trump-which is very unlikely, in my view-then his political career will be over.

Romney's angle is clear: He's pro-establishment and anti-Trump. Trump changed the Republican Party, and Romney wants to keep the old guard in place. Romney doesn't like that the GOP is changing. Romney is attempting to disrupt Trump at every turn, but like you said, if it turns out that something isn't going to pass, he's not going to die on the hill most likely. Romney is going to act like he was always against the impeachment/removal, when if he was the deciding vote, he'd vote to remove Trump from office tomorrow. Romney picks his moments.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1609 on: February 05, 2020, 06:01:02 AM »

Romney's angle is clear: He's pro-establishment and anti-Trump. Trump changed the Republican Party, and Romney wants to keep the old guard in place. Romney doesn't like that the GOP is changing. Romney is attempting to disrupt Trump at every turn, but like you said, if it turns out that something isn't going to pass, he's not going to die on the hill most likely. Romney is going to act like he was always against the impeachment/removal, when if he was the deciding vote, he'd vote to remove Trump from office tomorrow. Romney picks his moments.

Is he?  Angry
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1610 on: February 05, 2020, 06:22:55 AM »

Today is the day. The Senate will crown Trump vote whether to remove Mr. Trump around 4 p.m.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1611 on: February 05, 2020, 06:33:06 AM »

Trump's gamble to expose Biden payed off, the dude finished 4th in Iowa.

Biden is not done yet, and I am sure there will be better numbers for him coming up.

In which case, we have not heard the last of Burisma's HR department hiring practices for chemically dependent US lawyers.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1612 on: February 05, 2020, 06:37:43 AM »

Collins is done, she cost herself a Senate seat
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1613 on: February 05, 2020, 08:16:14 AM »

Votes on articles will be today at around 4:00pm EST. 

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1614 on: February 05, 2020, 08:46:11 AM »

This vote should be historic regardless of what happens, but it honestly feels so anti-climatic.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1615 on: February 05, 2020, 09:37:39 AM »
« Edited: February 05, 2020, 09:42:38 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Things to watch for as the last Senators deliver their remarks:

- Doug Jones (D-AL) and Mitt Romney (R-UT) are expected to speak this morning and will likely disclose their votes on the articles of impeachment.  

That's about it. 
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1616 on: February 05, 2020, 09:41:24 AM »

Ugh, Biden's weak performance has little to do with Ukraine. Biden's campaign lacks excitement. No surprise he doesn't do well in a caucus with less favorable demographics.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1617 on: February 05, 2020, 09:52:31 AM »

- Doug Jones (D-AL) and Mitt Romney (R-UT) are expected to speak this morning and will likely disclose their votes on the articles of impeachment.  

That's about it. 

Sinema and Manchin then? No disclosure from them before the voting?

Ugh, Biden's weak performance has little to do with Ukraine. Biden's campaign lacks excitement. No surprise he doesn't do well in a caucus with less favorable demographics.

Sure, it had. Trump is damn good at it. "Where is Hunter?" stands right after "but her emails" Smiley
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1618 on: February 05, 2020, 09:54:23 AM »

That's about it. 

Sinema and Manchin then? No disclosure from them before the voting?

Sure, it had. Trump is damn good at it. "Where is Hunter?" stands right after "but her emails" Smiley

From what I've heard? No.  But Jones' position will be a decent indicator as to how Manchin and Sinema will vote. 
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1619 on: February 05, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »

Jones knows he’s going to get blanched, but if he votes to convict I don’t see how he’ll even be able to claim that he wants to be re-elected. He might as well campaign on a platform of losing.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1620 on: February 05, 2020, 10:02:49 AM »

From what I've heard? No.  But Jones' position will be a decent indicator as to how Manchin and Sinema will vote. 

Yes, likely. My thinking was that if all 3 of them decided to vote same, it'd perhaps look stronger if they had a "joint" statement. But it is just what I think, of course.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1621 on: February 05, 2020, 10:04:18 AM »

Jones knows he’s going to get blanched, but if he votes to convict I don’t see how he’ll even be able to claim that he wants to be re-elected. He might as well campaign on a platform of losing.

I have my own views on Doug Jones, YH, but I'll defer to you as you're a 'Bama native Smiley
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1622 on: February 05, 2020, 10:37:10 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix