Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 01:50:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)  (Read 58689 times)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: March 01, 2020, 03:43:59 AM »

Apparently attempting to campaign is a disrespectful Bernie Bro conspiracy.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #776 on: March 01, 2020, 04:49:01 AM »

Irony is when Sanders was passing the Veterans bill & the EarcPowers act, Warren was doing nothing. Literally nothing. She got nothing done & is probably one of the least effective Senators to run for President ever.

It is time for her to drop out. She has siphoned off enough votes from Bernie.

Improving and reforming veterans benefits is a very uncontroversial political issue; the McCain/Bernie bill passed the Senate 93-3. If that is Bernie's crowning achievement in the Senate I am not too impressed. Where has Bernie been in taking leadership of and passing legislation involving healthcare? As far as I understand he didn't have much to do with Obamacare.

Meanwhile the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau was literally thought of and conceived of by Warren, she is the driving force behind why that agency exists. It is a clear example of where Warren was able to get something accomplished related to her most important issue, and on an issue which was polarizing and difficult to get done due to overwhelming Republican and industry opposition.

This is why I'm still backing Warren to the end - as she suggested in that speech above, Bernie talks a big game but has never been able to get anything done, and his responses throughout this campaign on how he will get things like Medicare-for-all passed have been entirely unconvincing. He won't even abolish the filibuster and has not clearly defined how he will raise enough revenue to pay for Medicare for all, which Warren does.

There was a point earlier this campaign where I would have been open to voting for Bernie, but he's basically running the exact same campaign as 2016 - my way or the highway. He is a famous loner in the Senate who is too dogmatic in his righteousness and has shown little to no aptitude for dealmaking on important issues. This is reflective in his campaign style, and in why he will pick up very little support from outside his base, and why if he does not have a majority in the delegate count, he will struggle to gain delegates from other candidates to put him over the top.

I am sorry but Why was no able to pass a bill to significantly reform Veterans healthcare ? And how did Sanders get it done with 90+ votes amidst massive partisanship

Sanders passed the 1wt War Powers act ever. His 15$ Min Wage bill was passed by the House of Rep. He is the one responsible for Community Healthcare funding in the ACA which provided primary helathcare to millions of people. During this time he also led he fight to save the ACA whirl Warren did nothing. She got 0 passed. She is by the least effective Senator to ever run for President.

Also the Consumer Protection Bureau was passed by Obama & his administration. Elizabeth Warren was not a legislator & got nothing passed. Like Big 0.

Anyways anyone can support Warren. Her campaign is over & it is time for her to drop out after a humiliating loss in Massachusetts to Bernie. She will win 0 states & will barely get 100 delegates @ best. Warren is done. Time to unite behind the progressive champion Bernie.

If Bernie was in this position he would have been blasted as an egoist loser who wants to year the movement down.it is time for Warren fans to accept the reality, unite & ask her to step down.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #777 on: March 01, 2020, 06:03:15 AM »

Apparently attempting to campaign is a disrespectful Bernie Bro conspiracy.

Imagine how pissed they're going to be when he beats her there.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #778 on: March 01, 2020, 07:32:42 AM »

A few possibilities:
1.  Warren, like everyone else not in a bubble of self-delusion, sees Sanders as a riskier bet against Trump.
2.  Based on his unwillingness to support even basic process reforms like ending the filibuster, Warren (correctly) sees Sanders as not really interested in following through on his progressive rhetoric.
3.  Considering the odious trolls he's brought into his campaign, Warren (rightly) doesn't trust Sanders to staff his administration with competent, coalition-building pols.
4.  Biden is a horse-trader by nature, and there's every reason to think she can strike a fair deal with him:. her support for some influence over policy/staffing decisions.

1. Bernie polls quite well despite having been attacked a lot more than Biden recently
2. The idea that Bernie would be completely opposed to ending the filibuster is nonsense
3. Warren has some pretty awful people in her campaign
4. You don't get to be the amendment king or get that 2014 Veterans bill passed without some trades being made.

1.  Trial-heat polling at this stage of the race has little to no predictive power.  https://archives.cjr.org/united_states_project/its_way_too_early_for_2016_polls_to_be_predictive.php  Candidates who are targeted by opposing party messaging will tend to sink, while for those who are spared, it will rise.  Notably, Trump has been directing his criticism at almost every candidate except Sanders, whom he, in fact, frequently defends as the innocent victim of a rigged process.
2.  Show me an instance where he's expressed a real openness to ending the filibuster.
3.  You're off your rocker if you're equating the toxicity of Sanders's people with the people around Warren.  I mean, be serious.
4.  Please.  As somebody above said, Sanders is good at attaching his name to noncontroversial, bipartisan measures, but he's shown zero aptitude for moving difficult legislation forward.  Give me a good example of Sanders winning a partisan legislative battle.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #779 on: March 01, 2020, 09:01:39 AM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #780 on: March 01, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »

She is grifting at this point and looks pathetic. At this point she must be continuing this campaign to raise money to settle her campaign debts.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #781 on: March 01, 2020, 01:16:34 PM »

She is grifting at this point and looks pathetic. At this point she must be continuing this campaign to raise money to settle her campaign debts.

I haven't seen anything to indicate she has significant campaign debts.  I think she just anticipates a contested convention and wants to go into Milwaukee with some leverage.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #782 on: March 01, 2020, 01:20:03 PM »

To Warren-apologists.

Imagine a reverse situation. Warren surging to 30% in national polls, is a front-runner winning all H2H in primaries as well as in GE, while Bernie gets 5th place i SC and loses Vermont to Warren. What would you say if Bernie did as she does...

Don't bother to reply. We all know the answer.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #783 on: March 01, 2020, 02:47:25 PM »

To Warren-apologists.

Imagine a reverse situation. Warren surging to 30% in national polls, is a front-runner winning all H2H in primaries as well as in GE, while Bernie gets 5th place i SC and loses Vermont to Warren. What would you say if Bernie did as she does...

Based in what Bernie did in 2016, I would absolutely expect him to stay in the race in this situation.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #784 on: March 01, 2020, 02:55:37 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2020, 02:58:56 PM by Crumpets »

To Warren-apologists.

Okay, let me go on the record and say, as a Warren supporter, (not for your sake, but for anyone reading who thinks you have a point) she should drop out if she wins less than two states on Super Tuesday. There's really no reason for her to stay in if she can only win Massachusetts, if she can even manage that.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #785 on: March 01, 2020, 02:56:34 PM »

The more she stays in the better, as that just hurts Bernie
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #786 on: March 01, 2020, 03:37:48 PM »

That makes this past month her biggest fundraising month to date, ftr.  Unless she ups her spending a lot, she's not going to run out of $ any time soon.

Also, Lau (Warren's campaign manager) is now saying that a contested convention is likely:

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #787 on: March 01, 2020, 04:35:52 PM »

To Warren-apologists.

Based in what Bernie did in 2016, I would absolutely expect him to stay in the race in this situation.

Bernie absolutely would have dropped out and endorsed Warren if the situations were reversed. He tried to convince her to run in 2016.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #788 on: March 01, 2020, 04:41:20 PM »

To Warren-apologists.

Bernie absolutely would have dropped out and endorsed Warren if the situations were reversed. He tried to convince her to run in 2016.

Why isn't he dropping out now?
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #789 on: March 01, 2020, 04:42:10 PM »

To Warren-apologists.

Because he's the current national frontrunner?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #790 on: March 01, 2020, 04:52:48 PM »

To Warren-apologists.

But he said he would drop out if she ran. She is running. Why isn't he dropping out?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #791 on: March 01, 2020, 04:56:30 PM »

To Warren-apologists.

But he said he would drop out if she ran. She is running. Why isn't he dropping out?

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #792 on: March 01, 2020, 06:33:57 PM »

To Warren-apologists.

In 2016, he stayed in the race far beyond the point where its was clear it was impossible to win.   He tried to convince the superdelegates to overturn the majority of pledged delegates that went to Hillary.  Why would have done anything different this year?
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #793 on: March 01, 2020, 06:39:18 PM »

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/02/goodbye-liz/

She was also a phony in deeper ways. Elizabeth Warren vowed to stop taking the support of super PACs, which she opposed as part of her anti-corruption agenda. She had already tapped out her donor network in super Pacs before she stopped taking their money. Or so she thought. More recently, she reversed her position on super PACs once again and raised millions of the supposedly corrupt soft money in the days leading to Super Tuesday.

And on top of it all is the evidence suggesting that she deliberately lied about her own ethnic identity, claiming to be a Native American, so that Harvard Law School, which was desperate for nonwhite law professors, could hire her and quell a growing protest movement on the campus.

Elizabeth Warren was not a Native American, she was not a radical egalitarian, her homework answers were elaborate but did not add up. Neither as left-wing as she proposed to be, nor as responsible and diligent. She won’t be missed.

Liz Warren's campaign is over.  And because of her persona, no one will want her as VP.  I'm awaiting the final good riddance to bad rubbish.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #794 on: March 01, 2020, 07:09:34 PM »

Pete, Warren, and Amy shared a lot of the same voters. With Pete dropping this likely saves Warrens ass in Massachusetts. Amy leaving the race almost certainly after Minnesota votes means somehow if Warren keeps on this 'path of resistance' she ends up as the last one standing. Somehow despite all the contrary evidence, she may end up as the last one standing in the education/suburban lane.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #795 on: March 01, 2020, 08:43:24 PM »

Pete did far better than Warren in Iowa & NH & also in Nevada & South Carolina. And he has dropped out.

Why is Warren running ? Does she have an agreement with Joe Biden to be the VP ? Does she have to take votes away from Bernie to be Biden's VP? She is taking crucial delegates away from Bernie in California, Texas & Massachusetts.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #796 on: March 01, 2020, 09:02:12 PM »

Pete did far better than Warren in Iowa & NH & also in Nevada & South Carolina. And he has dropped out.

Why is Warren running ? Does she have an agreement with Joe Biden to be the VP ? Does she have to take votes away from Bernie to be Biden's VP? She is taking crucial delegates away from Bernie in California, Texas & Massachusetts.

Get a new hobby
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #797 on: March 01, 2020, 11:34:13 PM »

Get a new hobby

Hey, it's a legit question. And while it's unlikely Biden would choose Warren as his running mate, it seems more likely then not there's some tacit agreement between them to weaken Sanders by her staying in  until after super Tuesday .

She will also probably take delegates away from Sanders in Colorado and Maine as well.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #798 on: March 02, 2020, 12:07:07 AM »

To Warren-apologists.

In 2016, he stayed in the race far beyond the point where its was clear it was impossible to win.   He tried to convince the superdelegates to overturn the majority of pledged delegates that went to Hillary.  Why would have done anything different this year?

The bizarre historical revisionism here is kinda hard to understand if you rule out the possibility that people like jfern are absolutely blinded by infallible hero-worship.

Sanders, by account of people in his own campaign, didn't think he had a chance of winning the race until his win in Michigan on March 8, 2016. He took the race down to the wire long after it was clear he couldn't win and Warren is hinting that she may try to do the same.

The 2016 Sanders and 2020 Warren campaigns (and the 2020 Sanders campaign for that matter) are/were motivated by a desire to win above all else.  The difference between Sanders 2020 and Warren 2020/Sanders 2016 is that the former actually has a credible case to the nomination and the latters don't. People are going to try to back-apply their own personal theories of the electorate/candidate personalities to over-explain why these rationales are/are not appropriate but they're missing the point. Might makes right, and Sanders 2020 has the might while Warren 2020/Sanders 2016 don't.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #799 on: March 02, 2020, 12:07:10 AM »

She's running because she wants to do the job.

She also would be an excellent compromise candidate. She also has put more into super Tuesday states than SC, so of course she's waiting for that before reassessing.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies