Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:08:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 37
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)  (Read 58586 times)
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: January 26, 2020, 01:11:55 PM »

This is why Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren will crash and burn in the South

Outside of Virginia the South is a given for the GOP anyway.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the south. There are no winner take all states in this year's primaries.
While Republican primaries are winner-take-all, Democrats' are not. Any candidate who gets at least 15 percent of the vote can earn delegates from a primary or caucus, so it will be common for candidates to split each state's delegate haul.

If the first four states (Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina) deliver a split decision, and California and other Super Tuesday states fracture, it will give multiple candidates a reason to stay in the contest and the money to do so, thanks to energized grassroots donors.

If Democratic candidates keep splitting delegates in every region outside the south, and one candidate dominates the south, that person could be able to either become the nominee from the domination in the south, or go into a contested convention with a delegate lead, thanks to the south. Either way, HUGE POTENTIAL FOR SOUTHERN VOTERS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN 2020.
Epaminondas

« Reply #451 on: January 26, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2020, 02:24:21 PM by Epaminondas »

There is no denying the South will play a outsize role in the Democratic primary.

Under current rules however it must be questioned whether that is the best way to maximise odds in a general election.
What purpose did it serve Clinton to sweep Alabama, Mississipi, South Carolina, Louisiana, only to then max out at 35 points in these states in November?
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #452 on: January 26, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »

There is no denying the South will play a outsize role in the Democratic primary.

Under current rules however it must be questioned whether that is the best way to maximise odds in a general election.
What purpose did it serve Clinton to sweep Alabama, Mississipi, South Carolina, Louisiana, only to then max out at 35 points in these states in November?

Yeah, if anything, I would think that more delegates should be given to swing states rather than states that are safe either way.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #453 on: January 26, 2020, 05:55:51 PM »

Poor Warren, she is definitely trying so hard, but the progressives are moving towards Bernie and Michael Moore is campaigning for Bernie
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #454 on: January 26, 2020, 06:41:57 PM »

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #455 on: January 26, 2020, 10:36:01 PM »

Warren had a bit of a viral moment on the campaign trail yesterday, but not the good kind:

While I do know quite a few with this kind of sentiment, this exact argument was probably used by opponents of Social Security and Medicare back in the day.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #456 on: January 26, 2020, 11:30:11 PM »

Warren had a bit of a viral moment on the campaign trail yesterday, but not the good kind:

While I do know quite a few with this kind of sentiment, this exact argument was probably used by opponents of Social Security and Medicare back in the day.
Not sure how that applies — it's not like people who "do the right thing" and save for retirement are ineligible for Social Security, and everyone over 67 gets Medicare. People also cannot "age out" of those programs and miss out on their benefits.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #457 on: January 27, 2020, 07:03:23 AM »

I think you're missing (or ignoring?) that Sanders and Warren are trying to move the country towards a universal welfare state - Warren more gradually and at a slower pace than Sanders - and "free" (tax paid) education is one of the cornerstones of a universal welfare state (and canceling student debt is an attempt to retroactively make college "free"). Not all elements in a welfare state benefit the poor exclusively and if you want the upper half of the middle class to support an extensive welfare state you also need elements that primarily benefit them. Being overly focused on whether some elements benefit the middle class more than the poor is counterproductive. If you're against developing a universal welfare state that's of course fair enough, but you should at least view free college in the right ideological context.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #458 on: January 27, 2020, 07:20:50 PM »

Only $80k for a for year degree? I’m wonrdering where you went to school cuz that sounds like a steal
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #459 on: January 28, 2020, 12:44:43 AM »

Only $80k for a for year degree? I’m wonrdering where you went to school cuz that sounds like a steal

Mine was $20k at the University of Puerto Rico, and I went on to a Master's and a subsequent PhD program here in Wisconsin.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #460 on: January 28, 2020, 01:14:03 AM »

Hell, I think I'm something like $130k in Student Loan debt from (4) Years at a Liberal Arts Private College in the early '90s, plus (3) Years of Grad school at a Public University in the PacNW....

Most of that is the interest and the "juice" as they used to call it in the Mafia movies of the '80s and '90s....

I will likely never be able to buy a house on even Middle-Class dual-worker incomes because of the massive add-on to my student loan debt from some 25-30 Years ago at the hands of private Capital and the Financial Sector....
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #461 on: January 28, 2020, 10:01:10 AM »

How Much Does it Cost to Study in Germany?

In 2014, Germany’s 16 states abolished tuition fees for undergraduate students at all public German universities. This means that currently both domestic and international undergraduates at public universities in Germany can study for free, with just a small fee to cover administration and other costs per semester.

What is the Cost of Studying and Living in Norway?

Public universities in Norway do not charge tuition fees even for international students. Depending on where you choose to study, you may be required to pay a small fee each semester, but that is normally between NOK 300 and NOK 600. This semester fee gets you membership to the student union, access to health services, counselling and sports facilities as well as an official student card. Your student card can reduce your fees on public transport and give you a discount for museums and art galleries. There are some courses at public institutions that you may have to pay for, but these are rare, and tend to be at postgraduate level. If you choose to study at a private institution, you will be required to pay tuition fees, and these will vary at each institution. There are some scholarships available for EU/EEA students and international students, make sure to check with your chosen institution about your eligibility.
有爭議嘅領土 of The Figgis Agency
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #462 on: January 28, 2020, 08:13:49 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/exclusive-constance-wu-celeste-ng-prominent-asian-americans-endorse-elizabeth-n1120721

Constance Wu, Celeste Ng, prominent Asian Americans endorse Elizabeth Warren

More than 100 Asian American and Pacific Islander creatives, activists, and academics endorsed the Democratic presidential candidate in an exclusive statement on Thursday.

More than 100 prominent Asian American and Pacific Islanders — creatives, activists and academics — announced their support Thursday for Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts.

The collective includes notable names like “Crazy Rich Asians” actress Constance Wu; author Celeste Ng; Rabia Chaudry, attorney and author of “Adnan's Story: The Search for Truth and Justice After 'Serial'”; and the CEO of Project Include and former CEO of Reddit, Ellen Pao. The collective cites Warren's stance on a number of issues important to the Asian American community, including immigration, education and investment in entrepreneurship among the reasons for its support.

Open statement here
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #463 on: January 28, 2020, 11:15:08 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/exclusive-constance-wu-celeste-ng-prominent-asian-americans-endorse-elizabeth-n1120721

Constance Wu, Celeste Ng, prominent Asian Americans endorse Elizabeth Warren

More than 100 Asian American and Pacific Islander creatives, activists, and academics endorsed the Democratic presidential candidate in an exclusive statement on Thursday.

More than 100 prominent Asian American and Pacific Islanders — creatives, activists and academics — announced their support Thursday for Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts.

The collective includes notable names like “Crazy Rich Asians” actress Constance Wu; author Celeste Ng; Rabia Chaudry, attorney and author of “Adnan's Story: The Search for Truth and Justice After 'Serial'”; and the CEO of Project Include and former CEO of Reddit, Ellen Pao. The collective cites Warren's stance on a number of issues important to the Asian American community, including immigration, education and investment in entrepreneurship among the reasons for its support.

Open statement here

That's cool....

The issues and themes that these Asian-Americans highlight as major factors in their endorsement are extremely important issues, many of which are somewhat invisible to so many Americans.

Let us hope that whomever the Democrats choose to select as their Candidate (Warren or any other Democrat) to challenge either President Trump (or Vice-President Pence if Removal passes), keeps these themes as an important part of not only a platform/message, but also helping to represent and support the voices of Americans from a community that is still marginalized, despite being a major part of the tapestry that is America that goes back some 200 Years.....
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #464 on: January 29, 2020, 12:14:20 AM »

Some good information buried in a puff piece on Warren's campaign in the Boston Globe: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/01/29/nation/warrens-latest-campaign-bet-ground-game-late-voting-states-like-michigan/

But Warren has Turner, an organizer, and 20 other paid staffers in the state working on the next prong of her campaign strategy: accumulating delegates over a potentially long primary slog through states that usually are an afterthought in the presidential nominating process.

The Warren campaign is heavily invested in Iowa, but now it is counting on a long-game strategy powered by 1,000 staffers in 31 states to carry it through. Campaign manager Roger Lau sent a memo to supporters last week offering their muscular campaign operation as an antidote to increasingly low expectations about her performance in Iowa and New Hampshire, where she has slipped in some polls.

It is the latest gambit from a presidential campaign that has always bet that having a large and organized field staff would pay dividends. Warren built what is widely considered to be the strongest ground game in Iowa and she is turning again to boots on the ground around the nation. She likely has a larger staff than any other top-tier candidate, including Sanders, who has more than 800; former South Bend, Ind., mayor Pete Buttigieg, who has over 520; or former vice president Joe Biden, who has more than 400. (Bloomberg, however, has more than 1,000 staffers in 35 states.)

Chaser:

On Sunday, US Representative Andy Levin addressed a group of the Warren supporters and Warren-curious over lunch. He was delighted by the turnout, although some of them underscored the challenge of nailing down support in Michigan before anyone has voted in Iowa.

“I’ll go with Elizabeth Warren,” said Chuck Infantino. “But if Bernie overtakes her, I’ll switch.”
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #465 on: January 29, 2020, 12:17:19 AM »

Poll: Warren fares better against Biden than Sanders

Biden still leads both, although Warren by only 2 points.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #466 on: January 29, 2020, 12:25:53 AM »

The Data for Progress poll showed that if it were three-way race, 42 percent said they would vote for Biden, 30 percent would back Warren, and 23 percent would support Sanders.

That's lower than Sanders' current standing in national polling. Junk it!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #467 on: January 29, 2020, 10:24:19 AM »

Data for Progress is a de facto Warren internal, for the record
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #468 on: January 29, 2020, 09:19:31 PM »

I have spoken to several upper middle class, PhD-types in the past couple of days who I've known to be hardcore Warren fans. They've all jumped ship in the past week to Bloomberg.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #469 on: January 30, 2020, 12:13:21 AM »

https://elizabethwarren.com/plans/fighting-digital-disinformation?source=soc-WB-ew-tw-rollout-20200129

Warren wants to punish disinformation.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #470 on: January 30, 2020, 12:17:49 AM »

I am hoping she does well now so the left wing vote can be split , making it easier for Biden
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #471 on: January 30, 2020, 01:30:27 AM »

I have spoken to several upper middle class, PhD-types in the past couple of days who I've known to be hardcore Warren fans. They've all jumped ship in the past week to Bloomberg.

Weird... I’m from an upper-middle class family, I work in academia (no PhD), and I’m finding Bloomberg intriguing. I don’t like that I do, but he’s been growing on me. Still probably voting Warren, but thought I’d add to that.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #472 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:52 AM »

Weird... I’m from an upper-middle class family, I work in academia (no PhD), and I’m finding Bloomberg intriguing. I don’t like that I do, but he’s been growing on me. Still probably voting Warren, but thought I’d add to that.

Interesting anecdotal evidence.... but at what point does a small subset of a minor section of the Democratic Electorate start to become statistically significant?

I guess one could make the argument that sometimes a small number of influential people within tight knit social networks might be able to help "guide or mentor" other voters that don't pay as much attention to the day in and day out world of politics, but it would appear to me that in 2020 these types of "influence makers" might well be much less influential than they were (20)+ Years ago before the Internet became a huge thing, and all that....

I suspect that the messaging of various candidates will likely play much more impact than some 35+ Year Old Democrats with Phd's "vote herding" the gullible towards their chosen horse...

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #473 on: January 30, 2020, 03:01:19 AM »

Clear violation of the first amendment. Disqualifying.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #474 on: January 30, 2020, 03:07:04 AM »

Are Harvard Law Professors supposed to know about the first amendment?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies