Yellow dog contract
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 09:50:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Yellow dog contract
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should yellow dog contracts be legal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Yellow dog contract  (Read 2834 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2005, 05:49:35 PM »

A yellow dog contract is an employment contract in which a worker agrees not to join a labor union while employed. It has been illegal in the U.S. since the Norris-LaGuardia Act of 1932.

I vote yes. The employer-employee relationship is a purely voluntary one. If the employer wants to forbid his employees from joining a union, and if the employees agree to this condition in the contract, then I see no problem, worry, or concern.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 05:53:47 PM »

No.  Such coercion of employees by their owners is best prevented.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 05:55:02 PM »

Such coercion of employees by their owners is best prevented.
How is it coercion, if the employee voluntarily submits to it?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 05:56:25 PM »

Such coercion of employees by their owners is best prevented.
How is it coercion, if the employee voluntarily submits to it?

Naturally such desperate persons will 'voluntarily' submit to almost anything from their betters.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 06:40:55 PM »

Absolutely not. We need more rights for citizens and less domination by megacorporations.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 06:55:27 PM »

A yellow dog contract is an employment contract in which a worker agrees not to join a labor union while employed. It has been illegal in the U.S. since the Norris-LaGuardia Act of 1932.

I vote yes. The employer-employee relationship is a purely voluntary one. If the employer wants to forbid his employees from joining a union, and if the employees agree to this condition in the contract, then I see no problem, worry, or concern.

While we don't have yellow dog contracts where I work we have a policy that advocating unions and trying to create one while working on site can lead to automatic termination. Excellent policy!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 07:09:32 PM »

yes it most certainly should be legal.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 07:11:46 PM »

I really don't think it should be legal.  The reasons it was made illegal probably still apply.  My own thinking is that unions come in because management fails.  If management treats workers well, unions become less attractive.  That's why workers at auto plants in the south have largely rejected unions.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 07:13:15 PM »

While we don't have yellow dog contracts where I work we have a policy that advocating unions and trying to create one while working on site can lead to automatic termination. Excellent policy!
Um, why do you act like unions are a bad thing?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 07:14:27 PM »

becayse they are?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 07:14:44 PM »

Because I don't hate freedom.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 07:16:07 PM »

how is supporting unions hating freedom?
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 07:17:19 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2005, 07:19:17 PM by Progress »

I don't mind opposition to organized labor when it comes from the capital class.  It is in their best interests to oppose labor.

Yet clearly anyone who actually works for a living instead of those who profit off the work of others has a great interest in the success of organized labor and is quite frankly stupid to oppose it.

Disclaimer:  I'm union member.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 07:17:41 PM »

I think unions are a bad thing, in general.  At best, in certain cases they are a necessary evil.

Still, I don't think workers should ever be prohibited from joining one by something that they effectively signed under duress in some cases.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 07:18:24 PM »

I'm in favor of unions because we need more power for the people and end megacorporate rule!
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 07:56:35 PM »

I support the right to Unionize.

The major change I would make is that all contracts, including Union ones, must end.

Under current legislation when the term of a labor contract "ends" it really doesn't end - The employer cannot hire another Union, or another group of individuals to do the works.

They are essentially required to reach a contract with the same Union, or not have employees.

By way of analogy, suppose I agreed for the next 3 years to buy 1000 tons of steel a month from you at $100 a ton.

In three years, I am free to renew our agreement if we agree on terms, or find an alternative steel supplier.

In most states, however, if the steel supplier was treated like a Union I would have two choice at the end of three years - agree to your new terms (however crazy they might be) or simply stop buying steel from anybody.

At then end of a Union contract the contract must end - totally and completetly - the employer needs to be free to pick a new supplier of Labor if they so decide.

Right now... I sure would rather work for non-Union Toyota than unionized GM.... as an aside.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 07:59:21 PM »

The major change I would make is that all contracts, including Union ones, must end.

LINO
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 08:42:26 PM »

I'm not in favor of the yellow dog.  Consider an equivalent reciprocal contract clause that required an employer to not merge with another business.  Can you imagine that any employee would be able to get a such a contract clause?  That's the clearest test that something is unfair, if you reverse the conditions is it still acceptible?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 09:18:43 PM »

That should be legal as well.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 10:24:47 PM »

Whether a contract is fair or unfair should not be relevant. All that matters is that both parties have consented to it. If a worker wants to consent to a contract that bans union membership, then so be it. He is not violating anyone else's rights by accepting such an agreement.

Of course, the closed shop should also be legal (although it is not at present).
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 11:16:18 PM »

LINO

When I say "end" I ceratinly don't advocate aboloishing contracts... what I was trying to say was the contract should be time certain, so that at the end of say 3 years... the contract is actually over.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 11:18:07 PM »

Oh, sorry
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 01:12:29 AM »

What's the difference between a company forcing you to join a union to work for them and signing a yellow dog contract? If a person had objections to a particular union yet wished to work for that company how should it be legal to force them into a union? If actions like that are legal why shouldn't yellow dog contracts be legal?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 01:14:35 AM »

I don't mind opposition to organized labor when it comes from the capital class.  It is in their best interests to oppose labor.

Yet clearly anyone who actually works for a living instead of those who profit off the work of others has a great interest in the success of organized labor and is quite frankly stupid to oppose it.

Disclaimer:  I'm union member.

It is in my best interest to oppose a union for my company. If we were to ever get a union (G-d forbid) we'd probably lose benefits compared to what we have now. And obviously our workers don't want it because everytime an upstart tries to get it put up for a vote in the Miami Division it gets voted down very handily.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 06:17:01 AM »

Absolutely correct, Progress!  Can you believe the masochistic stupidity of these workers?

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies