Yellow dog contract
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:19:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Yellow dog contract
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should yellow dog contracts be legal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Yellow dog contract  (Read 2824 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 08:03:25 AM »

The employer-employee relationship is a purely voluntary one.
HAHAHAHAHA!
Oh, you were being serious?

Well, that's certainly a mightily flawed starting point, and you should be forgiven for any wrong deductions you draw from it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 08:29:18 AM »

No, Emsworth is obviously correct, and you are an absolute fool if you don't understand that.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 08:32:54 AM »

What's the difference between a company forcing you to join a union to work for them and signing a yellow dog contract? If a person had objections to a particular union yet wished to work for that company how should it be legal to force them into a union? If actions like that are legal why shouldn't yellow dog contracts be legal?

No significant difference, which is why I am also against the closed shop.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 08:52:13 AM »

What's the difference between a company forcing you to join a union to work for them and signing a yellow dog contract? If a person had objections to a particular union yet wished to work for that company how should it be legal to force them into a union? If actions like that are legal why shouldn't yellow dog contracts be legal?

No significant difference, which is why I am also against the closed shop.
Same here...
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 09:10:48 AM »

I really don't think it should be legal.  The reasons it was made illegal probably still apply.  My own thinking is that unions come in because management fails.  If management treats workers well, unions become less attractive.  That's why workers at auto plants in the south have largely rejected unions.

Right on! I've held quite a few jobs in the food service industry, and the standards for management at these places are not very high. That said, when I worked at Perkins I found the management just awful. This was a viewpoint readily agreed upon by the rest of the staff.

It's the only place I've worked at where seven (!) employees agreed to walk-off in the middle of their shift--and actually did it. It's also the only place I've worked at where the employees even discussed unionizing.

Unions can be as corrupt and stupid as management can be. That doesn't change the fact that they are sometimes needed, and workers should not be barred in any way from forming one.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 10:49:25 AM »

While we don't have yellow dog contracts where I work we have a policy that advocating unions and trying to create one while working on site can lead to automatic termination.

You realize this is illegal under federal law, don't you?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2005, 03:06:47 PM »

Unions can be as corrupt and stupid as management can be. That doesn't change the fact that they are sometimes needed, and workers should not be barred in any way from forming one.
I agree that unions should not be barred by the law. However, if the workers and employers agree that a union should not be formed, then a union should not be formed.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »

They most definitly should not be legal
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2005, 03:43:05 PM »

I agree that unions should not be barred by the law. However, if the workers and employers agree that a union should not be formed, then a union should not be formed.

If there is such an agreement, implicit in that agreement will be that management will not behave in a manner requiring the formation of a union.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2005, 03:47:37 PM »

If there is such an agreement, implicit in that agreement will be that management will not behave in a manner requiring the formation of a union.
Well, if the union and company agree that the management will behave in a certain manner, or not behave in a certain manner, then fine.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2005, 04:00:22 PM »

Well, if the union and company agree that the management will behave in a certain manner, or not behave in a certain manner, then fine.

Such agreements are meaningless due to the power differential between owner and worker.  They are essentially just dictation by the powerful to the powerless.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2005, 04:30:33 AM »

While we don't have yellow dog contracts where I work we have a policy that advocating unions and trying to create one while working on site can lead to automatic termination.

You realize this is illegal under federal law, don't you?

Doubtful. And if it is, I applaud their actions.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies