Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 09:59:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 130444 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: January 25, 2020, 09:35:04 PM »

Look - a conman.

This is going to hurt him in the suburbs in the GE.

Not convinced....

It could come down the definition of "suburbs"....

I would suggest that a simple answer about not "knowing the costs" is not yet anything that will hurt him the GE at this fixed point in time and space.

Sure, your "suburbs" may well be considered my "exurbs"....

If some folks in large McMansions in Exurban VA, SoCal, Wealthy white folks on the fringes of Atlanta GA, and even my sacred parts of Metro PDX that swung hard against the 'Pubs in '16 (Happy Valley thinking of you), the vast majority of "suburban voters" are in favor of affordable and universal health insurance....

It is kinda a tiny weeny bit of a stretch to say that one Sanders interview is going to doom him in the GE....     Wink

TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1401 on: January 25, 2020, 09:40:55 PM »

Look - a conman.

Warren’s horrible reply to that father in Iowa will hurt a lot more in the suburbs if you ask me 😉
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1402 on: January 25, 2020, 09:42:24 PM »

Look - a conman.

Warren’s horrible reply to that father in Iowa will hurt a lot more in the suburbs if you ask me 😉

Biden it is then Wink
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1403 on: January 25, 2020, 09:51:06 PM »

He doesn't need to know how to pay for those things, because there is no chance of them passing. All he needs to do is say it enough to secure the crown. If he becomes President and can't get those things done it won't matter, because he'll have the title. Come through, KING!
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1404 on: January 25, 2020, 11:39:12 PM »

This is why Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren will crash and burn in the South:

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1405 on: January 26, 2020, 08:47:30 AM »

Or maybe Southern voters are just more conservative. I don't think Bernie's problem there is a lack of "authenticity".

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1406 on: January 26, 2020, 09:20:46 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2020, 09:24:19 AM by ElectionsGuy »

Bernie Sanders has overtaken Joe Biden in the betting markets average and is now the plurality frontrunner. The first time it has happened ever.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elections/betting_odds/democratic_2020_nomination/

Some other interesting facts:

Joe Biden is still at one of his highest points he's ever been at
Warren is at her lowest point since June 2015
Bloomberg continues to rise, is at 13%
Bernie Sanders once had a 6% chance to win the nomination in October, lower than Buttigieg and even Hillary.
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1407 on: January 26, 2020, 12:31:06 PM »

Recent polling looking really good for Sanders. His path to the nomination is looking clearer than ever. Winning IA (very possible/likely), NH (likely), NV (possible), and winning on Super Tuesday in CA, UT, CO, OK, MN, VT, ME, and MA (if Warren is out of the race this will be easy). TX would be the cherry on top.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1408 on: January 26, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »

"Do I think we need some more jail? Yeahp!"

It's hard to see how Sanders can take the moral high ground on the crime bill, but whatever.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1409 on: January 26, 2020, 12:45:50 PM »

It's hard to see how Sanders can take the moral high ground on the crime bill, but whatever.
Love

Economical populism, skepticism against wars and being moderate on "social" issues like this one is how you win elections.

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1410 on: January 26, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »

If you watch the actual video, it's much more nuanced. He actually says the opposite (and fought against it on the House floor) in his video.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1411 on: January 26, 2020, 01:03:46 PM »

Love

Economical populism, skepticism against wars and being moderate on "social" issues like this one is how you win elections.

I thought being moderate was how elections were lost?

If you watch the actual video, it's much more nuanced. He actually says the opposite (and fought against it on the House floor) in his video.

I saw the video and he clearly said more jail were needed despite saying some other things before that. Regardless of what else he said, he still stated more jails were needed.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1412 on: January 26, 2020, 01:44:50 PM »

Recent polling looking really good for Sanders. His path to the nomination is looking clearer than ever. Winning IA (very possible/likely), NH (likely), NV (possible), and winning on Super Tuesday in CA, UT, CO, OK, MN, VT, ME, and MA (if Warren is out of the race this will be easy). TX would be the cherry on top.

While I'm very skeptical that Sanders could win TX, I would like to see a poll. If he can come at all close (plausible, given his high support among Latinos), that's huge for him, given his margin of defeat in 2016.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1413 on: January 26, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »

#BernieIsACop

LOL, but seriously though, legislation and politics is very nuanced. If Bernie and his supporters stopped acting like he is a Messiah that has been on the right side of every issue, he wouldn't face half of the criticism he does. He is a liar though. For the past few years he's acted like he only voted for it because of Violence Against Women Act but again, the Bros will say this means nothing and people are overreacting and Bernie sh-ts rainbows. So whatever.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1414 on: January 26, 2020, 02:39:14 PM »

This is why Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren will crash and burn in the South:

In response to this inane bloviating, it is a good this Bernie Sanders is not a liberal.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1415 on: January 26, 2020, 02:41:17 PM »

Someone from Bernie Sanders' campaign texts me at least once a week addressing me as Ken, lol.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1416 on: January 26, 2020, 03:04:32 PM »

Problematic - for various reasons. The underpinnings of this #analysis is "Southern blacks are emotional", sprinkled with a "backyard/animal" reference and alluding to non-Southerners being "enlightened" beyond their understanding. I'm sure the author wasn't trying to paint it as such, but it still bears mentioning.

At the same time, it's trying to be a very over-refined hot-take that papers over some very unpleasant truths both inside and outside of the South. Southern black voters aren't exactly downright hostile toward non-Southerners. Southern Democrats as a whole don't have some major problem with "Yankees" in the modern-day, either: maybe if this was 1975 and the overwhelming share of primary voters were still rural and white, there'd be a point in there somewhere. Otherwise, it's just drawing on out-of-date stereotypes.

The one thing this does get right is the "authenticity" element - but frankly, this applies to virtually every group, and especially in general elections, it's literally the factor that matters most for Democratic candidates. Generally speaking, most people don't choose to vote for "fake" candidates in primaries or general elections when other options exist.

I also found the "Harvard-Acela" comment quite cute. There's only one candidate who literally took the Acela route back and forth each day, and he's winning a majority of black Southern voters.

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1417 on: January 26, 2020, 03:38:51 PM »

Bernie seems to be at even odds now with Biden, if I am honest. If I were him, I would start planning a strategy to reach out to blacks and other Biden supporters for if/when he wins the nomination. Not my first choice, but Bernie is a good man and would be a pretty good president-- far better than Trump. I hope fellow Biden supporters carry the same sentiment.
Gone to Carolina
SaltGiver
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1418 on: January 26, 2020, 04:39:04 PM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1419 on: January 26, 2020, 06:28:43 PM »

Hilariously enough and in margin terms, 538's average is now more favorable to Sanders (-6.3) than RCP's (-6.4): that may be the first time during the campaign that this has happened.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1420 on: January 26, 2020, 07:45:04 PM »

Only one more week!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1421 on: January 26, 2020, 09:36:33 PM »

Watching Bernie Sanders live in Sioux Falls, Iowa right now.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1422 on: January 26, 2020, 09:42:38 PM »

Bernie is knocking it out of the park when it comes to Health Care items in a Metro Media Market of over 1 Million in NW Iowa that crosses the border to Nebraska, parts of Minnesota, etc....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1423 on: January 26, 2020, 09:46:58 PM »

Bernie talking about climate change and impacts to Houston Tejas and Puerto Rico....

Steyer is a bunk hit when it comes this....

Principles based on the "Green New Deal"....
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1424 on: January 26, 2020, 09:52:12 PM »

Someone from Bernie Sanders' campaign texts me at least once a week addressing me as Ken, lol.

Sounds like you got pranked by a Bernie Bro.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies