Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 03:26:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 129296 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2175 on: February 17, 2020, 01:05:09 PM »

Can you imagine being a fly on the wall at the Clinton residence on election night if Sanders does beat Trump in November?  The thought alone almost makes me want Bernie to be the nominee Tongue
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2176 on: February 17, 2020, 02:09:25 PM »

A lot of early Sanders stuff sounds like the edgy new-to-history new-to-politics kids I interacted with in college.  The first thing you want to do is learn how everything you know is wrong, and you go through this phase where you say "what if the communists were actually good and Amerikkka bad?"  There's a set of easy talking points you can use, and they're all basically xerox'd into these Sanders clips.

Yes, the Soviet Union was an oppressed, miserable dictatorship with slave labor, zero freedoms, and widespread poverty and famine.  But they had really nice subways, great music and arts and culture and achievements, and the people wanted for nothing!

Yes, Cuba is an oppressive, impoverished dictatorship.  But they have free health care, and it's really good!

Yes, hundreds of thousands of people have died from communist terrorism in Latin America, but it's America's fault for putting them in that situation, and they would be a peaceful communist paradise without CIA interference.

Plus the fetishism of Venezuela in the 2000s (now one of the worst failed nations) and complete ignorance of the failures of communism in Africa and Southeast Asia.

Most people grow out of that phase.  Sanders seems to as well.  That's why I personally don't really care that much about these old clips.  I went through that phase when I was around 13 and would tell my friends that ackshually communism is good and the people are happy and have health care.  But even by the time Michael Moore's Sicko came out in 2007, presenting Cuba as a health-care paradise, I had learned enough about history and the world to recognize that such arguments were disingenuous and devoid of all context.  Sanders took a decade or two longer.  But you don't see him saying dumb stuff like this today.

That said, while I don't think Sanders is going to get into office and be a communism apologist, I do think it's an easy case for the GOP to make.  When we talk about voters, we're talking about people who think Obama endorsed Bloomberg.   They're not going to put these clips in context.  They'll probably think he was saying this stuff yesterday.  Just another example of why Trump would f***ing destroy him, and destroy downballot Dems by tying them to Sanders.

And another explanation for why we keep seeing Republicans encouraging each other to vote for Sanders in our primaries, and Trump's campaign promoting Sanders' "rigged primary" conspiracy theories on Twitter.  Neither of which seem to bother Sanders voters at all.

The difference is Bernie wasn’t a college student when he said all those things in the 1980s , he was in his 40s making those points and he really hasn’t changed much at all politically since then .

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2177 on: February 17, 2020, 02:20:41 PM »

It's telling that I can agree with MacArthur so often on communism and still think his behavior is godawful.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2178 on: February 17, 2020, 02:37:02 PM »

Why did my post asking MacArthur to maybe do some self-reflection on his rants into the abyss get taken down?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2179 on: February 17, 2020, 02:47:52 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2020, 02:52:15 PM by The state that can run an election »

idk he's prollay RITE. I'm sure the Soviet Union had great subways lol they spent DEEP pockets on that.

Issa like me saying that the train system in CHINA is great. Like yea it is. Does that mean I'm a Chinese Communist? no lmao.

Ya'll are grasping at straws and SWEATING LIKE A DOG here.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

The video is literally deceptively edited. You're either too dense to read the full primary source of his comments or knowingly and deliberately pushing fake smears. I can't speak for beep boop or Mr. Illini, but judging by your posts, I'll assume it's the latter.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2180 on: February 17, 2020, 02:58:55 PM »

idk he's prollay RITE. I'm sure the Soviet Union had great subways lol they spent DEEP pockets on that.

Issa like me saying that the train system in CHINA is great. Like yea it is. Does that mean I'm a Chinese Communist? no lmao.

The video is literally deceptively edited. You're either too dense to read the full primary source of his comments or knowingly and deliberately pushing fake smears. I can't speak for beep boop or Mr. Illini, but judging by your posts, I'll assume it's the latter.

It's not just this video.  His entire history up until he became a senator is littered with videos, articles, essays, quotes, and stories attesting to this perspective.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2181 on: February 17, 2020, 03:07:44 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2020, 05:06:45 PM by The state that can run an election »

It's not just this video.  His entire history up until he became a senator is littered with videos, articles, essays, quotes, and stories attesting to this perspective.

So you admit you're using a bad-faith edit to smear Bernie.

Then again, considering your numerous attempts to slander me, nobody should be surprised.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2182 on: February 17, 2020, 04:33:58 PM »

A lot of early Sanders stuff sounds like the edgy new-to-history new-to-politics kids I interacted with in college.  The first thing you want to do is learn how everything you know is wrong, and you go through this phase where you say "what if the communists were actually good and Amerikkka bad?"  There's a set of easy talking points you can use, and they're all basically xerox'd into these Sanders clips.

Yes, the Soviet Union was an oppressed, miserable dictatorship with slave labor, zero freedoms, and widespread poverty and famine.  But they had really nice subways, great music and arts and culture and achievements, and the people wanted for nothing!

Yes, Cuba is an oppressive, impoverished dictatorship.  But they have free health care, and it's really good!

Yes, hundreds of thousands of people have died from communist terrorism in Latin America, but it's America's fault for putting them in that situation, and they would be a peaceful communist paradise without CIA interference.

Plus the fetishism of Venezuela in the 2000s (now one of the worst failed nations) and complete ignorance of the failures of communism in Africa and Southeast Asia.

Most people grow out of that phase.  Sanders seems to as well.  That's why I personally don't really care that much about these old clips.  I went through that phase when I was around 13 and would tell my friends that ackshually communism is good and the people are happy and have health care.  But even by the time Michael Moore's Sicko came out in 2007, presenting Cuba as a health-care paradise, I had learned enough about history and the world to recognize that such arguments were disingenuous and devoid of all context.  Sanders took a decade or two longer.  But you don't see him saying dumb stuff like this today.

That said, while I don't think Sanders is going to get into office and be a communism apologist, I do think it's an easy case for the GOP to make.  When we talk about voters, we're talking about people who think Obama endorsed Bloomberg.   They're not going to put these clips in context.  They'll probably think he was saying this stuff yesterday.  Just another example of why Trump would f***ing destroy him, and destroy downballot Dems by tying them to Sanders.

And another explanation for why we keep seeing Republicans encouraging each other to vote for Sanders in our primaries, and Trump's campaign promoting Sanders' "rigged primary" conspiracy theories on Twitter.  Neither of which seem to bother Sanders voters at all.

The video was edited purposely to make him look bad . . .
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2183 on: February 17, 2020, 04:35:25 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/02/17/topless-protesters-disrupt-bernie-sanders-campaign-rally-nevada-ip-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/
Breaking: Topless protesters interupt Bernie rally in NV to tell him to stop his support for Dairy
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2184 on: February 17, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2185 on: February 17, 2020, 05:11:33 PM »

Perfect time to ironically use a GeneralMacArthur quote!

Ask yourselves why only one candidate does this.  No other candidate has this problem.  Several other candidates have young supporters, passionate supporters, extremely online supporters, but you never experience anything even close to this kind of behavior.

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2186 on: February 17, 2020, 05:15:10 PM »

Ask yourselves why only one candidate does this.  No other candidate has this problem.  Several other candidates have young supporters, passionate supporters, extremely online supporters, but you never experience anything even close to this kind of behavior.

What's the anti-Semitic quote?  Y'all already came for Lindy once: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=353430.0

I was curious so I looked on Twitter and don't see any anti-Semitic tweets from her.  Just Rose Twitter people screenshotting perfectly normal criticisms of Sanders and saying they're anti-Semitic for no reason.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2187 on: February 17, 2020, 05:16:19 PM »

So what? It doesn't matter what supporters of candidates say online according to Sanders supporters. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2188 on: February 17, 2020, 05:18:35 PM »

I sometimes wonder how much shorter this thread would be if the anti-posts from the usual suspect/suspects was removed
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2189 on: February 17, 2020, 05:22:10 PM »

What's the anti-Semitic quote?  Y'all already came for Lindy once: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=353430.0

I was curious so I looked on Twitter and don't see any anti-Semitic tweets from her.  Just Rose Twitter people screenshotting perfectly normal criticisms of Sanders and saying they're anti-Semitic for no reason.

I'm fairly sure a non-Jewish person saying Bernie is a self-hating Jew is pretty ****ing anti-Semitic.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2190 on: February 17, 2020, 05:24:14 PM »

I'm fairly sure a non-Jewish person saying Bernie is a self-hating Jew is pretty ****ing anti-Semitic.

At best, it’s borderline.  It’s certainly worse than anything I’ve heard Bernie say.
Strong Candidate
123NY
Rookie

« Reply #2191 on: February 17, 2020, 05:24:30 PM »

Lindy Li definitely skirts the line with being a grifter. Her district-hop when running for House, which was followed by a drop-out, during the 2016 primary was very conspicuous. She actually sought the support of the DSA during her 2018 run for Congress, and her overall pivot definitely doesn't help avoid the negative impressions she has been giving off during her time in the political arena.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #2192 on: February 17, 2020, 05:35:19 PM »

We all know that Stalin used famine as a weapon to commit genocide against the Ukrainians in the Holodomor
Do we?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2193 on: February 17, 2020, 05:37:06 PM »

oh no
Roblox

« Reply #2194 on: February 17, 2020, 05:38:55 PM »

You know a thread is good when it turns into a debate over the specifics of Stalinist history.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2195 on: February 17, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »

The gloves are off.
Hollywood
« Reply #2196 on: February 17, 2020, 06:08:46 PM »

The Sanders folks have been awfully quiet on social media over the last 48 hours, despite Bernie holding a rally in Colorado of 11,000, and another one in Richmond, California where thousands are expected to attend. 
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2197 on: February 17, 2020, 06:26:01 PM »

The Sanders folks have been awfully quiet on social media over the last 48 hours, despite Bernie holding a rally in Colorado of 11,000, and another one in Richmond, California where thousands are expected to attend. 
Forget about Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Biden.

Sanders IMO is the only one who can match the enthusiastic Trump Supporters and can go toe to toe with them when it comes to Enthusiasm. If Democrats once again nominate a Moderate like the other three I mentioned young people won't go out and vote.

Klobuchar & Biden are too boring. Maybe Mayor Pete can capture the youth movement. Klob & Biden certainly won't. These two are too outdated IMO.
reciprocity
Rookie

« Reply #2198 on: February 17, 2020, 06:30:43 PM »

New Data for Progress NV poll

Data for Progress - Nevada Caucus Poll
Sanders - 35
Warren - 16
Buttigieg - 15
Biden - 14

766 likely caucus goers, text to web, 2/12/20 - 2/15/20

Apparently they were quite accurate with Iowa's first allignment numbers and New Hampshire.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DataProgress/status/1229540486324588544?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2199 on: February 17, 2020, 06:32:00 PM »

Of course. They're a Biden campaign worker so everything is totally above board.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies