MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:23:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 68475 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: September 01, 2020, 08:20:19 PM »

All of Somerville reported in 80-20 Markey. It's his student stronghold north of Boston. 15K votes to his column, which is why the race suddenly left the margins.

I live in Somerville, and ordinarily it's got a large student population, but not right now. Many schools are closed/remote and the Tufts students all came back 1-2 weeks ago and I don't know how many voted in this election. Somerville votes very liberal and Our Revolution-y even without the students.  
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1126 on: September 01, 2020, 08:20:46 PM »

Just so we're all clear, basically 100% of Markey's lead is from the Somerville vote dump and it's very, very early in the night. We haven't seen anything from Boston, Quincy, Braintree, etc yet.

Those are all going to Markey by huge margins
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #1127 on: September 01, 2020, 08:22:15 PM »

SOMERVILLE!
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1128 on: September 01, 2020, 08:22:52 PM »

Why is Kennedy doing so well in minority areas? Is it perhaps nostalgia for his grandfather, who was beloved by black voters? Or his recent appeals to those voters on racial justice issues?

Maybe because Markey opposed desegregation of Boston schools? Just a thought

Cry more and then vote Markey this November Smiley)

I just find it funny. Markey is an old career politician who voted for the 1994 Crime Bill, the Iraq War, and has been accused of not adequately supporting desegregation back in the day.

“Progressives” made Joe Biden out to be horrible for all of these things, yet passionately defend Markey. Who is being challenged by someone with just as progressive ideas but is much younger.

There is no ideological consistency here. It just goes to show how much of the “progressive” vs. “establishment” divide is style and how little of it is substance.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1129 on: September 01, 2020, 08:23:06 PM »

Why is Kennedy doing so well in minority areas? Is it perhaps nostalgia for his grandfather, who was beloved by black voters? Or his recent appeals to those voters on racial justice issues?

The Kennedys implicitly supported segregated schools by virtue of sending their children to expensive private schools that only white people could afford to attend.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1130 on: September 01, 2020, 08:23:46 PM »

I just find it funny. Markey is an old career politician who voted for the 1994 Crime Bill, the Iraq War, and has been accused of not adequately supporting desegregation back in the day.

“Progressives” made Joe Biden out to be horrible for all of these things, yet passionately defend Markey. Who is being challenged by someone with just as progressive ideas as he has but is much younger.

There is no ideological consistency here. It just goes to show how much of the “progressive” vs. “establishment” divide is style and how little of it is substance.

That's an argument against Markey supporters, not Ed Markey
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1131 on: September 01, 2020, 08:23:57 PM »

I wonder how Kennedy would have fared if he had tried to primary Warren instead

He'd be crushed.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1132 on: September 01, 2020, 08:24:57 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2020, 08:28:53 PM by Alben Barkley »

The Kennedys implicitly supported segregated schools by virtue of sending their children to expensive private schools that only white people could afford to attend.

Talk about bad faith. Not sending their own kids to public schools doesn’t mean they support segregation in them.

Moreover, this comment is actually kind of racist. You suggesting that no minorities can afford to send their kids to private schools? I know for a fact this is BS.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1133 on: September 01, 2020, 08:27:06 PM »

“Progressives” made Joe Biden out to be horrible for all of these things, yet passionately defend Markey. Who is being challenged by someone with just as progressive ideas as he has but is much younger.

I’m not saying otherwise. Personally I don’t really care who wins this primary, and thought from the start Kennedy might have been making a mistake in running. I just find this tribalism to be bizarre, inconsistent, petty, and hypocritical. I also hope Kennedy’s career isn’t ruined over this. That would be a shame.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1134 on: September 01, 2020, 08:28:24 PM »

I'd put Markey's win percentage at like 90%, but I'd like to see some of Boston come in before going to 100%.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1135 on: September 01, 2020, 08:28:55 PM »

Markey crushing it in the populist Purple heart rurals. Powerful Populist Senator Edward Markey!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1136 on: September 01, 2020, 08:29:03 PM »

I’m not saying otherwise. Personally I don’t really care who wins this primary, and thought from the start Kennedy might have been making a mistake in running. I just find this tribalism to be bizarre, inconsistent, petty, and hypocritical. I also hope Kennedy’s career isn’t ruined over this. That would be a shame.

Didn't the JFK avoid taking a strong stance on civil rights for fear of losing southern votes?

It's a rhetorical question. of course he did.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1137 on: September 01, 2020, 08:33:08 PM »

Didn't the JFK avoid taking a strong stance on civil rights for fear of losing southern votes?

It's a rhetorical question. of course he did.

I mean so did Carter. It just further shows that change happens from the most unlikely people.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1138 on: September 01, 2020, 08:33:27 PM »

It'd be rich if Markey wins & we start seeing Kennedy or Bust Dems
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1139 on: September 01, 2020, 08:33:45 PM »

Waiting on Boston before I start the victory music, but it looks very, very good.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1140 on: September 01, 2020, 08:34:13 PM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1141 on: September 01, 2020, 08:41:35 PM »

Meanwhile, Kevin O'Connor is beating Shiva Ayyadurai.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1142 on: September 01, 2020, 08:42:30 PM »

Markey's numbers in Natick and Newton compared against Kennedy's numbers in Springfield and Worcester make one thing clear: this race has never been about progressive vs establishment or house vs senate. It's about the wealthy (Markey's base) vs everyone ese (Kennedy's base). So much for being on the side of the working man, Markey bros.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1143 on: September 01, 2020, 08:42:43 PM »

“Progressives” made Joe Biden out to be horrible for all of these things, yet passionately defend Markey. Who is being challenged by someone with just as progressive ideas but is much younger.

One of the craziest things about the primary was Bernie people yelling about how terrible the crime bill was when Bernie Sanders voted for it.

My personal take on it is that being tough on crime is what voters wanted at that time in a context where violent crimes had recently reached an all-time high and a lot of academic research suggested more punitive approaches were warranted (Hillary's "superpredators" comment was in reference to a psychological theory about what drives people to commit crimes). (It's worth noting that Kennedy's father also voted for it.)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1144 on: September 01, 2020, 08:43:43 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2020, 08:46:57 PM by KaiserDave »

Markey's numbers in Natick and Newton compared against Kennedy's numbers in Springfield and Worcester make one thing clear: this race has never been about progressive vs establishment or house vs senate. It's about the wealthy (Markey's base) vs everyone ese (Kennedy's base). So much for being on the side of the working man, Markey bros.

Have you seen western Mass or the northeast?? Small town Massachusetts is Markey country.

This is the worst possible take for so many reasons.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1145 on: September 01, 2020, 08:45:22 PM »

Is there any ethnic Republican who has managed to win a primary this year over a white candidate? Even the ones who had all the money and support lost (ex. Hawatmeh in NY).
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1146 on: September 01, 2020, 08:46:41 PM »

Is there any ethnic Republican who has managed to win a primary this year over a white candidate? Even the ones who had all the money and support lost (ex. Hawatmeh in NY).

Let's be clear, Dr. Shiva absolutely deserves to lose every race he runs in on the merits.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1147 on: September 01, 2020, 08:46:46 PM »

Maybe the ones with European sounding names.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1148 on: September 01, 2020, 08:47:00 PM »

Kennedy is running against the co-writer of the GND, so your comment makes no sense.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1149 on: September 01, 2020, 08:47:10 PM »

Byron Donalds and Wes Hunt. Also my impression is that Shiva is kind of a lunatic, while O'Connor's politics are closer to Baker's.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies