Progressives Only: Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 01:03:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Progressives Only: Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Q. Above
Bernie Sanders

Elizabeth Warren

I like clicking things!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 164

Author Topic: Progressives Only: Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren  (Read 3469 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2019, 09:09:48 PM »

The discussion above is amusing to me because I find Warren supporters more annoying personally.
Honestly that's fair too. People on Twitter who compare her to Hermione need to read another book and/or go outside.
Ugh. Such a Ravenclaw. Tongue
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2019, 09:30:18 PM »

Warren. Sanders supporters, with some exceptions, are some of the most annoying people in politics.
That's not a valid reason to vote for someone:

"Sorry, person who needs cheap insulin - I'm not going to vote for the other candidate that favors medicare for all because I find his fanboys annoying.  Have fun dying due to my annoyance!"
Case in point.
Wow, what a great logical rejoinder to my perfectly valid criticism of your extremely selfish, solipsistic decision-making process!!

Also FYI, I've donated the same amount of money to both, and I'm just going to vote for whoever is in the lead by the time of the Tennessee Primary, which will very likely be Elizabeth Warren.

I can't figure out who the bigger morons are - media-brainwashed people who reject Sanders because he's a "selfish," "narcissistic," "racist," "misogynistic" "impractical" "non-Democrat" with irritating followers (despite their agreeance with most of his superior, impactful policy programme)...

...or the jimmy dore / jFern types who reject Elizabeth Warren out of hand because she deigns to cultivate political influence every once in a while or occasionally has a position that isn't as progressive as Bernies.  It's a tough contest.
Using the deaths of poor people being exploited by the pharmaceutical industry as some sort of "gotcha" moment is in poor taste and doesn't even make sense when considering both Warren and Sanders have introduced legislation (Affordable Drug Manufacturing Act and Prescription Drug Price Relief Act) for dealing with rising insulin prices.

And I'd be willing to give the Sanders campaign a pass and just write off his more annoying supporters as unhelpful but it's hard to do that when people in charge of his campaign such as Jeff Weaver are encouraging further toxicity by claiming that the mainstream media is rigged against Sanders, causing a sizable chunk of his supporters to go full conspiratorial mode which you apparently seem to be peddling as well if you think I'm being "media-brainwashed".

So as you can see, I'm perfectly capable of giving logical rejoinders or whatever to your posts. Wink

I think the mainstream media is definitely biased against Sanders and a lot of people have made solid, evidence-based cases why, including actual political scientists.

I think Elizabeth Warren doesn't get treated all that well by the media, either, because it tends to take the perspective of wealthy elites, and I think as soon as Bernie drops out of the race, she will become their next whipping boy.

I don't think my argument was at all in poor taste, I actually think if you aren't thinking about the life and death implications of your vote, you are being irresponsible.

I will, however, grant you that my post was poorly worded / unclear - I don't really object to people who choose the very similar Liz Warren over Sanders, more the people who inexplicably have her at #1 and him at #20, which kind of by definition has to be based on superficial, non-policy based reasons.

My passionate outlook is that your vote shouldn't be about you making a statement about yourself and casting it for someone you "like personally," "identify with," "don't find distasteful," etc like according to research most people do. - it should be a cold hard choice about which vote will help America the most.

For instance: Hillary and the group of people she associates with are distasteful and I do not want to be associated with them, they do not reflect my values and ideology, and I find a lot of aspects of her record /philosophy/platform problematic.

However, I was never going to stay home or vote third party in 2016, because my vote for her has huge positive real world consequences for billions of people.

I wish more people thought that way, particularly millions of people who stayed home / voted third party/NOTA in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania.

I would ask you and the other readers of this thread to consider that basic idea.  Even if I think some aspects of your outlook are dumb, I will say that I am sincerely grateful for your general high level political interest and your support for a fantastic politician like Elizabeth Warren.  She needs as much support as she can get.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2019, 09:45:25 PM »

The discussion above is amusing to me because I find Warren supporters more annoying personally.
Honestly that's fair too. People on Twitter who compare her to Hermione need to read another book and/or go outside.

Yeah, luckily the annoying ones are only like 2% of any candidate's real support.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2019, 10:52:31 PM »

Warren is a tool to divide the base. She didn't go to Dakota when it was needed, stayed out of 2016 for fear of angering Clinton, didn't support M4A till every other presidential candidate did & is seemingly open to more moderate ways. She has also said she doesn't rule out PAC money for the GE.

Add to the fact that has poor temperament & massive electability concerns. How is cop Kamala Harris any worse than Warren? Apart from achieving nothing, Warren cant even get elected. And someone with 0 political courage is a failure.

Stuff like this is why I'd vote for Biden over Sanders if it came down to it.

If your vote is based on internet posters, then I wouldn't be surprised if you voted for Trump tomorrow because your whole thought process is flat out idiotic & I think no campaign would want to have your vote.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2019, 11:13:13 PM »

Warren is a tool to divide the base. She didn't go to Dakota when it was needed, stayed out of 2016 for fear of angering Clinton, didn't support M4A till every other presidential candidate did & is seemingly open to more moderate ways. She has also said she doesn't rule out PAC money for the GE.

Add to the fact that has poor temperament & massive electability concerns. How is cop Kamala Harris any worse than Warren? Apart from achieving nothing, Warren cant even get elected. And someone with 0 political courage is a failure.

Stuff like this is why I'd vote for Biden over Sanders if it came down to it.

If your vote is based on internet posters, then I wouldn't be surprised if you voted for Trump tomorrow because your whole thought process is flat out idiotic & I think no campaign would want to have your vote.

Roll Eyes
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2019, 01:42:08 AM »

Bernie, but it's very tough to choose.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2019, 01:55:20 AM »

Crazy supporters to a large extent is just the nature of being a popular politician in this day and age. They shouldn’t be the number one factor in supporting a candidate, though I’ll admit Sanders erratic campaign staff has turned me off from him a bit in recent months, especially now that they’re saying stupid smears about Warren.
SInNYC

« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2019, 08:37:01 AM »

If we are talking about being bugged by supporters of candidates, the thing that bugs me the most is people saying 'Everybody has adopted Bernies plans now, so he no longer has a reason to run' while at the same time saying 'Bernie has no real plans and just yells'' or 'Bernies plans have no chance of happening'. A close second is 'Bernie isnt even a democrat' (but its OK for former-everything-else).

I dont let idiot supporters make me decide for or against candidates and I like both (among some others).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies